Menu

I don't know what to do with this child.

Moxie

I find Khan useful when I want another explanation.  Otherwise I find it so gosh darn snoozy.  Sometimes just watching a 10 minute video I have to pause it several times and take breaks just to get through it (and my attention span and interest level aren't particularly low).  His explanations are good, but I dunno sometimes it just feels SO BORING.  Two hours of that and I think I would feel like hurling myself off a bridge. 

I agree that the videos can be boring.  That's why I don't recommend watching them unless you genuinely can't understand what you did wrong from working through the hints on the problems.  Obviously with entirely new skills you must watch a video first.  But then get back to working on problems, and doing them correctly.  Videos don't teach math, practice teaches math.

I agree that the videos can be boring. That's why I don't recommend watching them unless you genuinely can't understand what you did wrong from working through the hints on the problems. Obviously with entirely new skills you must watch a video first. But then get back to working on problems, and doing them correctly. Videos don't teach math, practice teaches math.

My kid would disagree. The light bulb does not go on if you are too far away to reach the switch. More of the same is headbanging and leads to nothing but reinforcing wrong methods. One needs to work smarter, not harder. Get a teacher that can place the Student correctly and teach, don't waste time struggling.its just like music and sports...an effective teacher will teach, not present, and will move the student forward.

Edited by Heigh Ho

My kid would disagree. The light bulb does not go on if you are too far away to reach the switch. More of the same is headbanging and leads to nothing but reinforcing wrong methods. One needs to work smarter, not harder. Get a teacher that can place the Student correctly and teach, don't waste time struggling.its just like music and sports...an effective teacher will teach, not present, and will move the student forward.

This reminds me of teachers who would say they'd help but you must come in with specific questions.  Uhhh...if you are that far gone, you don't know which questions to ask.  I think ideally you can find a tutor who is good at figuring out where the kid has gotten lost.  How would the kid know?  And having an 8th grader start back in Kindergarten math might be rather demoralizing.  Or unnecessary.

• Like 1

Yes, I have.  Well, it didn't take months.  It took 6 weeks or less to get caught up each time.  I figured this out after using Khan to teach myself some common core stuff. Like anything, it won't work for every kid. If they have a learning disability, or are working through illness, grief, or trauma it might not work.  But if they're an otherwise smart, healthy kid who's just been stymied by integrating all the lessons of arithmetic into algebra it can help figure out where the holes are quickly. And frankly, even if a child only spent only 25 minutes a day, every day, reviewing the material it might be enough.  

My kids have had friends who've had hours of math homework every night starting in elementary school though, so 2 hours a day total doesn't feel extreme to them.  Again, we take breaks so it's actually more like an hour and 40 minutes of actual work.  Also, several of our friend's children who are in school do extra math (Kumon) every night in addition to their homework.  DH is an engineer and many of our family friends are in STEM careers, so it's probable that not everyone's family culture encourages as much math.  And not every kid has had their friends cancel their plans for fun because they hadn't done their Kumon yet or whatever.

I do know of a parent who this didn't work for, and they figured out that the child had some sort of math learning disability.  I don't know them well and I don't know the details. They got some sort of special tutor to help. 

But I do know most kids people like things they are good at.  Khan uses so much praise, rewards in the form of badges, certificates, and bragging about your progress emails that it can remove the struggle for most kids. They can start to feel good at math again. The immediate feedback will help them de-personalize their mistakes because they'll know what the problem is.  I think the system is great for kids who think they're terrible at math because it helps teach them that math is a skill not a talent. It's not about being smart.  It's about working to mastery before moving on to the next lesson.

Hours of math homework every night?  I'm really doubting that.  HOURS?  I mean come on.  So what about the other 5-6 subjects?  Are they just chained to a desk morning, noon, and night? 

We feel strongly that math is important.  So it's not about that.  I just don't think hours of math per day is going to make a kid who struggles severely and despises math is going to help in the long run. 

My kid does well in math and we never spent hours upon hours per day.  Ever.  And while I think he's decent at it, I don't think he is some sort of Einstein either.  So it's not that.  What is it?  Because I worked hard not to make my kids freaking hate math.  Or I'm just damn lucky I guess. I don't know.  But I shake my head at the thought of hours of math homework for elementary/middle school.

I do like your idea of backing way up and building confidence.  I guess I have a problem with expecting hours of work.  I don't care how you break that up I don't think that's necessary. 

• Like 2

This reminds me of teachers who would say they'd help but you must come in with specific questions. Uhhh...if you are that far gone, you don't know which questions to ask. I think ideally you can find a tutor who is good at figuring out where the kid has gotten lost. How would the kid know? And having an 8th grader start back in Kindergarten math might be rather demoralizing. Or unnecessary.

Totally agree. My dc's music teachers and sports coaches can all assess, teach, and move him on. He deserves no less from an academic teacher. Self taught takes a lot of time, even when one has a solutions manual, in comparison. Its not better than nothing because its a waste of time and the chance of embedding wrong ideas and procedures is so high.

A lot of the fundamental concepts can be learned, practiced, and strengthened through games too.  Or even through more true to life scenarios.  It's like if what you have been doing does not work, doing more of the same sorts of things is kinda the definition of insanity right?  Doubling up on what was not working is not going to work.

• Like 1

Hours of math homework every night? I'm really doubting that. HOURS? I mean come on. So what about the other 5-6 subjects? Are they just chained to a desk morning, noon, and night?

We feel strongly that math is important. So it's not about that. I just don't think hours of math per day is going to make a kid who struggles severely and despises math is going to help in the long run.

My kid does well in math and we never spent hours upon hours per day. Ever. And while I think he's decent at it, I don't think he is some sort of Einstein either. So it's not that. What is it? Because I worked hard not to make my kids freaking hate math. Or I'm just damn lucky I guess. I don't know. But I shake my head at the thought of hours of math homework for elementary/middle school.

I do like your idea of backing way up and building confidence. I guess I have a problem with expecting hours of work. I don't care how you break that up I don't think that's necessary.

Yes. Once by hit sixth grade, an hour or more per day of hw is normal. That's if you understand and are good at it. And yes, hours of homework is normal now. An hour of homework per subject. This is the reality of many public schools. I did nearly the same as the suggestion of 1.5 -2 hours per day on Kahn for a sophomore that was very behind. It was 45 min during the day, then another 45 min in the evening. She started at early math. She made progress. We found holes in her skills in 2nd grade level! But the time. No. It's not too much for middle school.

• Like 1

Yes, I have.  Well, it didn't take months. 

<snip>

I'm glad it worked out for you.   

There are reasons other than LDs, grief, trauma, etc., that it might not work for someone else.

A skilled, caring, patient, and kind math teacher, who taught in class but also made himself available for tutoring, was the key for my daughter finally getting through Algebra 1.  Nothing else.   

• Like 2

No advice. My DD is like this. She's at the end of her third grade year and refuses to do even first grade math problems. She has no comprehension problems, she just refuses to do it. She's starting school anywhere that will take her next week.

Stefanie

I think the system is great for kids who think they're terrible at math because it helps teach them that math is a skill not a talent. It's not about being smart. It's about working to mastery before moving on to the next lesson.

The bolded is only partially true. Underlying mathematical ability really does vary a lot from person to person; brains are not cookie cutter copies. Dyscalculia, for example, is a very real thing and comes in a wide range of severity. People without enough impairment to be diagnosed with a learning disability can also struggle with certain concepts and skills that are particularly difficult for their specific brain. And others may make intuitive leaps far beyond skills they have been taught.

My bigger concern though about assuming your approach will work for a child without underlying disabilities but with real anxiety is that anxiety can persist against all logic. It is a fundamentally illogical process happening in the brain, in which something that is not inherently dangerous (such as a math problem) gets treated as a risk and triggers fight-or-flight sorts of responses.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Yes. Once by hit sixth grade, an hour or more per day of hw is normal. That's if you understand and are good at it. And yes, hours of homework is normal now. An hour of homework per subject. This is the reality of many public schools. I did nearly the same as the suggestion of 1.5 -2 hours per day on Kahn for a sophomore that was very behind. It was 45 min during the day, then another 45 min in the evening. She started at early math. She made progress. We found holes in her skills in 2nd grade level! But the time. No. It's not too much for middle school.

She said hours.  Which means we are talking 2 or more hours.  Again, what about the other subjects? 

This is an exaggeration. 

And are these kids with HOURS of homework in math doing anything else?  When do they sleep? 

Granted, my kids have never been in school so I have no first hand experience, but they are in several extra curricular things that are filled only with public schooled kids.  These kids all manage to have time for these extras.  So how could they be doing these extras if they had hours of homework at night?  Some of them are doing sports, clubs, drama, dance, etc.  They've got something nearly every night.  And you are telling me they also are doing hours of math.  Then I'd have to assume they are doing hours of homework for other subjects.  Let's say they have 4 other subjects and are given 1/2 an hour per subject.  That's two hours right there.  PLUS the HOURS of math homework.  So you mean they have 4 hours or more of homework every single night PLUS the extra curricular stuff?  Again, when do they sleep? 

• Like 3

They don't. Or, at least, they don't have enough quality sleep. In your area, Sparkly, public schools very well may not assign that much homework per night. However, having hours of HW every night *is* SOP in my area for many hs kids in many districts. (There are 4 average sized to large ISDs in my area.) Bear in mind that these schools by and large aren't top tier public schools; they're average to poor public high schools.

And, yes, many of these kids are involved in myriad ECs. I'm a bit older than you and I had an average of 2-5 hours of HW per night, more by my senior year. And I was involved in several ECs, too. One thing I do remember is constantly falling asleep on the school buses which took us to the various UIL contests and games.

I certainly couldn't follow that type of schedule now. Lol.

• Like 1

She said hours. Which means we are talking 2 or more hours. Again, what about the other subjects?

This is an exaggeration.

And are these kids with HOURS of homework in math doing anything else? When do they sleep?

Granted, my kids have never been in school so I have no first hand experience, but they are in several extra curricular things that are filled only with public schooled kids. These kids all manage to have time for these extras. So how could they be doing these extras if they had hours of homework at night? Some of them are doing sports, clubs, drama, dance, etc. They've got something nearly every night. And you are telling me they also are doing hours of math. Then I'd have to assume they are doing hours of homework for other subjects. Let's say they have 4 other subjects and are given 1/2 an hour per subject. That's two hours right there. PLUS the HOURS of math homework. So you mean they have 4 hours or more of homework every single night PLUS the extra curricular stuff? Again, when do they sleep?

Not trying to hijack, but I do know kids who are in advanced courses in high school and are up until 1am doing homework. There's no way I'd allow it for my kids, and I don't think it's healthy, but it does happen.

• Like 5

She said hours.  Which means we are talking 2 or more hours.  Again, what about the other subjects? 

This is an exaggeration. 

And are these kids with HOURS of homework in math doing anything else?  When do they sleep? 

Granted, my kids have never been in school so I have no first hand experience, but they are in several extra curricular things that are filled only with public schooled kids.  These kids all manage to have time for these extras.  So how could they be doing these extras if they had hours of homework at night?  Some of them are doing sports, clubs, drama, dance, etc.  They've got something nearly every night.  And you are telling me they also are doing hours of math.  Then I'd have to assume they are doing hours of homework for other subjects.  Let's say they have 4 other subjects and are given 1/2 an hour per subject.  That's two hours right there.  PLUS the HOURS of math homework.  So you mean they have 4 hours or more of homework every single night PLUS the extra curricular stuff?  Again, when do they sleep? 

My son's friend (10th grade) has a minimum of five hours of homework per night; it's frequently closer to six or seven hours. His situation is that he's a gifted student trying to obtain a competitive, college prep STEM education in a public school that doesn't even always offer the class he needs. Individual teachers are mentoring him as he basically homeschools himself in those subjects, after a full day at school. He's also in show choir, which is a huge time commitment.

While I admire this young man (and his teachers) VERY much, I worry about him. He doesn't sleep well. He uses caffeine as a drug to stay awake. I believe him to be at risk of recreational drug use, honestly; the pressure, plus the necessity of staying awake so long, seem dangerous to me.

His mother just brags about how hard he studies - the more hours with the books, the better she thinks he's doing. We've suggested homeschooling, but she's not interested.

• Like 3

I'm not exaggerating. Some districts do have this sort of policy.  We tend to choose neighborhoods by the best public schools available in an area, and in multiple places we have lived the kids neighbor and church friends have hours of homework, mostly math, every night.  This is one reason I prefer home school. I think it's ridiculous.  I also think it's typical for many kids, and it's becoming younger and younger.

• Like 3

Maybe getting way off topic here...friend's daughter is in 1st grade, public school.  She regularly has 1 hour of math homework per night.  1st grade!  (I don't know if homework is assigned for other subjects.)  Obviously, this varies between schools.

Part of the reason is my friend is an invested/engaged parent and former PS teacher.  She wants her child to actually learn the math vs. just getting passed this year.  In their case, and in my perception (based off of a lot of anecdotal stories, comments, etc.--so take it with a grain of salt?):

If there are 25-30 kids in a classroom and a variety of subjects to cover and behavioral issues to address throughout the day, chances are the teacher is not going to be able to cover math concepts deeply or thoroughly.  (Obviously this also varies between schools.) A great deal of the work and practice is sent home.  I'm not judging whether this is right or wrong--it's just the reality of many school settings, I think.  Too many required "standards" and subjects; too little time for the 3 R's; teachers addressing too many behavioral issues/needs.  I feel bad for those kids without parents who are capable and willing to complete the math lessons/practice at home.

Just saying, if parents want their kids to excel in math, yes, I can conceive "hours" of math per night.  Not saying I would chose that, but, if what I've described is anywhere close to the average American school experience, I can see where hours of math per day would happen in certain circles and pockets of people (as described upthread).  

ETA: Came back to say: Sorry, OP...re-read some of the thread and realized it got off-course in regards to math homework/hours in a way that maybe isn't helpful to your original post.  Sorry you are in a tough spot with your dd and I hope you will find solutions that make math better for both of you.   :grouphug:

Edited by vonbon

Katy, have you successfully had a child do what you suggest?   Khan Academy practice for 2 hours a day for months?  

She may.  

As I've said, Khan did nothing for my math struggler/hater.  Well, maybe one thing:  frustrated her more, and made her hate it more.

I'm not trying to be snarky, if it sounds like it.  I'd be happy to hear that you have shepherded one or more kids through math this way.  I'm just dubious because my own experience was completely different.   

I had my daughter read your original suggestions.  She said that would not have helped her, and that it would likely have made her want to move out of the house as soon as she could after high school to get away from me.   That's likely teen bravado talking.  But, worth the risk the risk that it's not?  I dunno.  We solved our problem another way.  

I agree with this.  When someone is ramped up over math, they are not a tiny sponge absorbing from a computer animation.  They are not being interacted with - they are staring at the screen, saying to themselves, "I hate math.  I know I hate math.  I'm not good at math.  I don't get this. Why am I watching this?"

People like this need a relationship, a tutor.  Not someone who can't see where they are struggling and talk through the steps and see the hang ups.  Khan is a great resource but not for a serious struggler.

I completely understand why you would feel that dropping math isn't an option, but dropping Algebra is an option if she will be taking it in the fall. Drop Algebra.

If I were in your place, outsourcing math would start today. She isn't learning anything right now with the tantrums, and it is damaging your relationship. I would be looking for a tutor - any tutor. There must be someone even if it's just a Kumon center or some other box tutoring place. I would sign her up for 1-2 hrs of tutoring per week and tell the tutor that she needs to gently work on basic skills in order to build confidence.

Then let the tutor work with her on math from the beginning. You just drop her off, go get yourself some coffee, and sit and enjoy the silence of your hour alone. Then pick her up and take her to do something enjoyable. It doesn't matter what it is. Take her shopping. Run through the drive-through to get a milkshake on the way home. Whatever she would enjoy. Don't ask about the tutoring session. Don't talk about math at all. Math is outsourced from this day forward. The tutor handles the hour of math until June. The school handles math in the fall. Math is on your daughter. You are just her mom now.

I think time will tell whether it's anxiety and whether you should be seeking help for that as well. But for right this moment, outsource the math.

I really think this is good advice.  Math is a hot button for her right now and the give away was the first post - she is normally a great, reasonable human being and then MATH hits and she becomes a nutjob.  That's not a Level I reaction.  Of course it's anxiety.  What else would that be?!?

I think if possible I'd find her a tutor.  She may not flip out for a stranger and that would be useful right there.  If you have no patience left and not one ounce of interest in trying to figure it out because you are burnt out (understandable) then I think it would just be best to find her some help.

One who loves math, isn't dry, and genuinely LIKES kids.

The bolded is only partially true. Underlying mathematical ability really does vary a lot from person to person; brains are not cookie cutter copies. Dyscalculia, for example, is a very real thing and comes in a wide range of severity. People without enough impairment to be diagnosed with a learning disability can also struggle with certain concepts and skills that are particularly difficult for their specific brain. And others may make intuitive leaps far beyond skills they have been taught.

My bigger concern though about assuming your approach will work for a child without underlying disabilities but with real anxiety is that anxiety can persist against all logic. It is a fundamentally illogical process happening in the brain, in which something that is not inherently dangerous (such as a math problem) gets treated as a risk and triggers fight-or-flight sorts of responses.

Math is absolutely a skill.   Math is absolutely a talent.  So is reading.  Any person can get better at something with effort but to assume that someone can achieve mastery by repetition is not true.

They don't. Or, at least, they don't have enough quality sleep. In your area, Sparkly, public schools very well may not assign that much homework per night. However, having hours of HW every night *is* SOP in my area for many hs kids in many districts. (There are 4 average sized to large ISDs in my area.) Bear in mind that these schools by and large aren't top tier public schools; they're average to poor public high schools.

And, yes, many of these kids are involved in myriad ECs. I'm a bit older than you and I had an average of 2-5 hours of HW per night, more by my senior year. And I was involved in several ECs, too. One thing I do remember is constantly falling asleep on the school buses which took us to the various UIL contests and games.

I certainly couldn't follow that type of schedule now. Lol.

I went to a private school and never had 4 hours of homework in a night in my life. (I'm forty.)  We were college prep.  I cannot imagine my children having four hours of homework after the actual teaching.  DD is a senior in college and DS has almost 40ish credits while a senior in high school.  Neither of them have had four hours of homework in a night. (Not counting mock.)  I have been in full time college courses for the past year and half.  Four hours per week, absolutely. I think that is incredibly unreasonable.

Not trying to hijack, but I do know kids who are in advanced courses in high school and are up until 1am doing homework. There's no way I'd allow it for my kids, and I don't think it's healthy, but it does happen.

The catch is you have  to know each kid - are they slow readers?  Poor comprehension?  Easily distracted?  Are they multi-tasking, i.e., listening to YouTube videos while doing homework?  Too many variables and often mom and dad aren't tracking how those hours are spent.

• Like 2

I meant to add to my post above:

Just because students all over the country are spending hours on math every day, does NOT make that the right approach for a young person with anxiety who is literally tantruming over math, and refusing to do it, on a daily basis!

Don't use something that's not even awesome for kids who are fine, and decide to hunker down and do it to a kid in trouble. I mean, that makes zero sense.

"Set them up for success" is not just a cute phrase for how we try to teach and raise little children. It's good for all the humans.

Lial's BCM, with a competent tutor, along with the anxiety and relationship issues being addressed (also by competent persons), beats the socks off of hours of kindergarten math alone on a computer. Obviously. OBVIOUSLY.

I've taught teens, and not just my own children. You can't say to them, "We're going back to kindergarten now." It's demoralizing and insulting, especially when we, as parents, were the ones who made them sit through years and years of math lessons already! And we can't say, "You're going to sit there and watch that, until you figure it out, seven days per week," as if they won't just run away or something.

If I were in their shoes, I would definitely rebel against the insanity. What would it say about a young person if they didn't?

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 6

I'm not exaggerating. Some districts do have this sort of policy.  We tend to choose neighborhoods by the best public schools available in an area, and in multiple places we have lived the kids neighbor and church friends have hours of homework, mostly math, every night.  This is one reason I prefer home school. I think it's ridiculous.  I also think it's typical for many kids, and it's becoming younger and younger.

Didn't you say elementary kids were doing hours? 

Some here mentioned 10th graders.  I'd consider that a bit different although I still think that's insane.

Whew, glad my kids don't have to live like that.

Nobody spends outrageous hours on math hw here. A student who uses his study hall and class time wisely has ten minutes x grade level homework nightly. Math hw is short, and the student is suposed to go to tutoring in his study hall if he is having difficulty. A certified math teacher is available every period of the day plus before and after school for middle and high school for those who want clarification or reteach.

A remedial student here does spend two hours daily on math. They are assigned to a double period class and their hw is to rework the problems and exercises they completed in class.

Edited by Heigh Ho

I'm not exaggerating. Some districts do have this sort of policy. We tend to choose neighborhoods by the best public schools available in an area, and in multiple places we have lived the kids neighbor and church friends have hours of homework, mostly math, every night. This is one reason I prefer home school. I think it's ridiculous. I also think it's typical for many kids, and it's becoming younger and younger.

The school district to the west of us has a policy of one hour per night of homework from 1st -6th grade, 30 minutes for kindergarten and preschool (yes homework for preschool), 2 hrs per night for middle, and free for all for high school. Honors and AP tend to be 45 min to an hour per subject. Kids playing sports stay up until midnight or later getting it done, and if they ride the bus can be up as early as 5:30 am. It isn't healthy but the school doesn't care. They think it makes them look academically competitive though their students are not doing better than districts that are more lenient.

• Like 1

Nobody spends outrageous hours on math hw here. A student who uses his study hall and class time wisely has ten minutes x grade level homework nightly. Math hw is short, and the student is suposed to go to tutoring in his study hall if he is having difficulty. A certified math teacher is available every period of the day plus before and after school for middle and high school for those who want clarification or reteach.

A remedial student here does spend two hours daily on math. They are assigned to a double period class and their hw is to rework the problems and exercises they completed in class.

We have none of this. None. And the top 25% of students do not get a study hall and are given another subject. No after school tutoring except for remedial students. College bound kids have a lot of homework and math, according to my friend who teaches algebra 2 in the local high school, says 1 3/4 hours per night on math is normal. Other subjects may not take as long. But the Honors English teacher is well known for assigning spur of the moment five page papers with a 48 hrs deadline requiring three sources, three direct quotes, three indirect quotes,... I think this is why she complains of so much plagiarism.

• Like 1

We have none of this. None. And the top 25% of students do not get a study hall and are given another subject. No after school tutoring except for remedial students. College bound kids have a lot of homework and math, according to my friend who teaches algebra 2 in the local high school, says 1 3/4 hours per night on math is normal. Other subjects may not take as long. But the Honors English teacher is well known for assigning spur of the moment five page papers with a 48 hrs deadline requiring three sources, three direct quotes, three indirect quotes,... I think this is why she complains of so much plagiarism.

Your NHS does not do peer tutoring?

English is notorious for assigning a lot of work here. The music students learn to ask in advance...and the admin has sided with them. No more dump of large novels the day before vacation, or papers due in three days but assigned the afternoon before a concert or all county or school musical weekend. I think one of the pit orch parents went ballistic when the english teacher told her that her dc was supposed to work on his paper during his breaks..in the dark, no wifi, in front of the audience?...uh huh.

Your NHS does not do peer tutoring?

English is notorious for assigning a lot of work here. The music students learn to ask in advance...and the admin has sided with them. No more dump of large novels the day before vacation, or papers due in three days but assigned the afternoon before a concert or all county or school musical weekend. I think one of the pit orch parents went ballistic when the english teacher told her that her dc was supposed to work on his paper during his breaks..in the dark, no wifi, in front of the audience?...uh huh.

No. If you want tutoring and are not a remedial student, you pay for it out of pocket, out of school.

And a gigantic number of complaints about homework has been lodged. To no avail.

Yes, I have. Well, it didn't take months. It took 6 weeks or less to get caught up each time. I figured this out after using Khan to teach myself some common core stuff. Like anything, it won't work for every kid. If they have a learning disability, or are working through illness, grief, or trauma it might not work. But if they're an otherwise smart, healthy kid who's just been stymied by integrating all the lessons of arithmetic into algebra it can help figure out where the holes are quickly. And frankly, even if a child only spent only 25 minutes a day, every day, reviewing the material it might be enough.

My kids have had friends who've had hours of math homework every night starting in elementary school though, so 2 hours a day total doesn't feel extreme to them. Again, we take breaks so it's actually more like an hour and 40 minutes of actual work. Also, several of our friend's children who are in school do extra math (Kumon) every night in addition to their homework. DH is an engineer and many of our family friends are in STEM careers, so it's probable that not everyone's family culture encourages as much math. And not every kid has had their friends cancel their plans for fun because they hadn't done their Kumon yet or whatever.

I do know of a parent who this didn't work for, and they figured out that the child had some sort of math learning disability. I don't know them well and I don't know the details. They got some sort of special tutor to help.

But I do know most kids people like things they are good at. Khan uses so much praise, rewards in the form of badges, certificates, and bragging about your progress emails that it can remove the struggle for most kids. They can start to feel good at math again. The immediate feedback will help them de-personalize their mistakes because they'll know what the problem is. I think the system is great for kids who think they're terrible at math because it helps teach them that math is a skill not a talent. It's not about being smart. It's about working to mastery before moving on to the next lesson.

Katy, can you recommend where to get started on Khan Academy? My friend was just telling me that one of her sons is having some trouble in math, and I wanted to pass on your ideas and recommendations to her. I think the idea of starting back at square one could be a good idea. :)

BTDT with my oldest. In the end it turned out she had an underlying anxiety/depressive disorder (the cause of the freakout reaction), but also likely dyscalculia. In her case, the problem raised its ugly head again in sciences that were math heavy (chemistry and physics.)

One-on-one tutoring at the college once or twice a week was the ultimate answer in our case. She made it through a university level (dual enrollment) calculus course and both chemistry and physics her senior year, so I think we were pretty successful.

Even if she goes to school next year, you might want to scope out potential tutoring services in case this issue continues. And for now, I agree with those who say drop the math for the remainder of this school year.

• Like 2