Menu

What country for 8th grade?

Dmmetler

It has worked very well for DD to use a textbook written for high school students in a given country and use that as a spine. We have one more year of middle school before we need to start worrying about state requirements. So far, we have spent a year on U.K. History and Australian history.

So, I'm open to suggestions. Requirements are that it needs to be something studied in the country of origin and written from that viewpoint, it needs to be published in English (or I suppose Latin would work ;) ), and it needs to be easy to get shipped to the USA.

• Like 1

Maybe. I'd prefer something secular, but South Africa would definitely be interesting and a totally different worldview.

This is the only title I am aware of, but I mentioned it for the totally different worldview :)

Part of SA used (uses?) textbooks in Afrikaans, a seperated language from Dutch, but another part used (uses?) textbooks in English.

I found it!: a list of South African curriculum suppliers:

http://homeschoolinfo.co.za/resources.html

• Like 2

What a great idea! I did just a little poking, and Singapore has a history series called "Singapore: the Making of a Nation-State" published by Star Publishing. I don't know how easy it is to get.

Kenya has a series in English called "History & Government" and here is a link to their form 1/grade 9 book: https://textbookcentre.com/catalogue/history-and-government-form-1-students-book-klb_19574/

• Like 1

There was quite a bit of talk here a few years back about this series from India. (Scroll down to History) We have added the Class 12 Themes in Indian History (vol I,II and III) to our history cycle and enjoyed the different perspective. They are free to download, so you could have a good look to decide if they are suitable.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Apparently you can get Dutch 7th and 8th grade history textbooks and workbooks in English as well, thanks to the popularity of bilingual secondary school (the ones labeled TTO):

https://www.malmberg.nl/voortgezet-onderwijs/methodes/mens-maatschappij/geschiedenis/memo-onderbouw/lesmateriaal.htm

I don't know how easy it would be to obtain them, but posting this here in case someone is interested (and didn't see me mention them on the other thread).

• Like 4

She did those a few years back, but most are written from a Western World view. They're interesting,but they don't provide that lens into how history looks from a different perspective.

I figure we can do this two more years. She needs US History and US Government on her transcript for high school, and can do those at the community college and tick boxes there. There is also a course in the honors program that focuses on Memphis history, which I think will be very interesting, and one on African American history, both of which DD says she wants to take.

So, four semesters taken care of, with 5 years ahead to fill. On to Canada! (And to start seeing which country I can get my hands on next. Canada was easy to find used on Amazon. )

Have you looked into India?  It is quite common for kids to be educated in English there, so they should have textbooks galore, and they would probably be fairly inexpensive since they don't make them expensively like we do.  :)

(ETA I see you already checked this out.)

Edited by SKL

What a great idea! I did just a little poking, and Singapore has a history series called "Singapore: the Making of a Nation-State" published by Star Publishing. I don't know how easy it is to get.

This is a set of two textbooks. Vol 1 covers pre-colonial Singapore, and Vol 2 covers colonial Singapore from the British occupation to the Japanese occupation.

The follow-up to that is this textbook series from Pearson:

All About History Unit 1: European Dominance and Expansion In South East Asia
All About History Unit 2: The World In Crisis
(The Making of the Contemporary World Order, 1870s-1991)
All About History Unit 4: Decolonisation and The Emergence of Nations 
All About History Unit 3: Bi-Polarity and The Cold War 
  • Like 2

What a neat idea! You basically have all of the old British empire at your disposal! It was vast! You can choose among several continents. You can also pick a big, better known country like India, or one of the smaller, lesser well known, like Sri Lanka, for example.

For British history, we used all three of these https://www.galorepark.co.uk/13-History-Common-Entrance

In general, we do the reading, follow rabbit trails, and write. I don't have her do anywhere near all the questions and assignments in the book, because they usually are very focused on specific exams, which DD doesn't need to sit. Which is why she can go through multiple textbooks in a single year.

• Like 1

Canada might be an interesting, and maybe critical, point of view. An American neighbor, with a different narrative of how it all went down in North America and beyond.

I moved to Canada during high school, having already taken U.S. History, and I distinctly remember having my mind blown by a lesson on how the English and Canadians won the War of 1812.  

I had attended a very progressive private school in the U.S., but no one had ever even hinted that there was disagreement about it.  I asked my Canadian history teacher why my American teacher would disagree with him, and he told me that Americans often claim that they won, because they won the last and bloodiest battle of the war, but that battle had no impact on the treaty.

This, of course, caused me to read a fair amount about the war, and was a pretty major turning point for me in terms of my own beliefs. The fact that you could have a war that lead to a treaty that both sides were happy about, led pretty to the question of why diplomacy couldn't have lead to the same treaty.  

Anyway, I think that reading American history through a Canadian lens can be fascinating, so I might vote for that.

• Like 1