Menu

Epiphany questions

Janeway

How is this celebrated? Also, which religions celebrate it? I know what is it, I don't know what traditions might be done associated with it.

My husband grew up Catholic and even went to Catholic schools. But the other day he commented that he was surprised to see so many people still have their lights up. I said many people leave the lights up through the Epiphany. He asked me what the Epiphany was. 

• Like 1

We observed Epiphany in my Episcopal church growing up. It was a big deal in the Russian Orthodox Church my mom grew up in. It's always been observed in the Roman Catholic Church, although now it is moved to the Sunday after the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God. It's the reason we have any notion of the 12 days of Christmas. It's the 12th day after Christmas. A lot of Catholics still bless their homes on Epiphany.

It's a big Catholic holiday.  It's the last day of the 12 days of Christmas.

When I was a child we moved the wise men closer each day to the creche until they arrived on the 6th.  We had our last extra mass of the season, ate King's cake, and took down the decorations.

In Italy, it's the Night of La Befana (think epifania..or epiphany).  She is the Christmas "witch", an old lady who set out to seek the Christ child after being invited by the Magi and gives presents to children on the eve before (Jan 5th).  Children wake up to stockings with sweets and small toys.  It's also bonfire day, when the Christmas trees are piled high in the middle of the town and lit - a very smokey end of the season!

• Like 2

I'm Confessional Lutheran.  We celebrate it.

We have specific hymns associated with the Feast.  They are really beautiful.

We either focus on it at a service tonight, or on one of the Sundays around it, depending on the congregation.  At my current church, the manger scene up front has the wise men gradually travelling from the back of the church around the inside side aisle throughout Advent, and they don't reach the manger until Epiphany.

It's the end of the Christmas season and the beginning of the Epiphany season, which lasts until Ash Wednesday.

The focus is on the increasingly wide knowledge that Jesus is God, that He came to earth to be our Savior and to achieve victory over Satan, and that He came for all. 

In the older 1 year lectionary, the Gospel stories are:

1.  The coming of the Wise Men.

2.  Jesus' baptism in the Jordan River by John the Baptist, in which the Holy Spirit and God the Father show themselves and affirm the message.

3.  The wedding at Cana

4+  Various healings Jesus did that demonstrated His Godhead

That is one thing I really miss in the 3 year lectionary.

The Three Kings Cake is traditional in some circles, but I have never done that.  I believe that it's supposed to look like a very rich person's turban, and it's festive and very colorful.

When DD was younger we always spread Christmas gift giving over the 12 Days of Christmas, not necessarily every day, but there was always something nice saved to open on Epiphany.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

Roman Catholics, Anglicans, and some other "high church" (liturgical) Protestant denominations celebrate Epiphany.  It's actually the end of the "twelve days of Christmas."  I believe (if I recall correctly) that it marks the "epiphany" of Christ to the Magi.  

Orthodox Christians celebrate Theophany on this day--the baptism of Christ.  It is the second most important feast of the year, after Pascha (Easter) (or tied with Annunciation, the incarnation of Christ).   Our traditions are to ask the Holy Spirit to bless Holy Water for use in our homes and we also process (or drive) to a local body of water and bless it.  The main hymn of the day goes like this:  

When Thou, O Lord, wast baptized in the Jordan, the worship of the Trinity was made manifest, 

For the voice of the Father bore witness to Thee and called Thee His beloved Son,

And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, confirmed the truthfulness of His word. 

O Christ, our God, Thou hast revealed Thyself, and enlightened the world, glory to Thee!

We sing it about 4000 times in a few days, and also during the annual blessing of our homes, which also occurs at this time of year.  

Many Orthodox take their trees down at this point, but many others wait 40 days until the The Entry of Christ into the Temple, February 2.  

:0)

Glad you asked? or TMI?!?!  :0)

Roman Catholics, Anglicans, and some other "high church" (liturgical) Protestant denominations celebrate Epiphany.  It's actually the end of the "twelve days of Christmas."  I believe (if I recall correctly) that it marks the "epiphany" of Christ to the Magi.  

Orthodox Christians celebrate Theophany on this day--the baptism of Christ.  It is the second most important feast of the year, after Pascha (Easter) (or tied with Annunciation, the incarnation of Christ).   Our traditions are to ask the Holy Spirit to bless Holy Water for use in our homes and we also process (or drive) to a local body of water and bless it.  The main hymn of the day goes like this:  

When Thou, O Lord, wast baptized in the Jordan, the worship of the Trinity was made manifest, 

For the voice of the Father bore witness to Thee and called Thee His beloved Son,

And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, confirmed the truthfulness of His word. 

O Christ, our God, Thou hast revealed Thyself, and enlightened the world, glory to Thee!

We sing it about 4000 times in a few days, and also during the annual blessing of our homes, which also occurs at this time of year.  

Many Orthodox take their trees down at this point, but many others wait 40 days until the The Entry of Christ into the Temple, February 2.  

:0)

Glad you asked? or TMI?!?!  :0)

Next year, I might wait until Feb 2 to take down the tree!

I am going to look for the hymn online so I can see what it sounds like.

But now I have another question...I always assumed "liturgical" meant a way of doing a church service. But now you mention "high church." So what does it mean exactly?

Next year, I might wait until Feb 2 to take down the tree!

I am going to look for the hymn online so I can see what it sounds like.

But now I have another question...I always assumed "liturgical" meant a way of doing a church service. But now you mention "high church." So what does it mean exactly?

They are basically interchangeable phrases.  

In one of the Peter Wimsey novels, the distinction is drawn between "Church" and "Chapel".  Church (in this case) would have been the Anglican Church, very liturgical; chapel would have been more of a low-key, "as the spirit leads" religious service, with a much greater emphasis on a "sermon with a bit of 'eart in it."  (from Busman's Honeymoon; Mrs. Ruddle is speaking.)

Here is a youtube recording of the hymn.  

I'm Confessional Lutheran.  We celebrate it.

We have specific hymns associated with the Feast.  They are really beautiful.

We either focus on it at a service tonight, or on one of the Sundays around it, depending on the congregation.  At my current church, the manger scene up front has the wise men gradually travelling from the back of the church around the inside side aisle throughout Advent, and they don't reach the manger until Epiphany.

It's the end of the Christmas season and the beginning of the Epiphany season, which lasts until Ash Wednesday.

The focus is on the increasingly wide knowledge that Jesus is God, that He came to earth to be our Savior and to achieve victory over Satan, and that He came for all. 

In the older 1 year lectionary, the Gospel stories are:

1.  The coming of the Wise Men.

2.  Jesus' baptism in the Jordan River by John the Baptist, in which the Holy Spirit and God the Father show themselves and affirm the message.

3.  The wedding at Cana

4+  Various healings Jesus did that demonstrated His Godhead

That is one thing I really miss in the 3 year lectionary.

The Three Kings Cake is traditional in some circles, but I have never done that.  I believe that it's supposed to look like a very rich person's turban, and it's festive and very colorful.

When DD was younger we always spread Christmas gift giving over the 12 Days of Christmas, not necessarily every day, but there was always something nice saved to open on Epiphany.

total liturgical nerdom:  which lectionary are you using now?  I want to say it is a burgundy book but don't want to be confused with the infamous red book.   (former LCMS Lutheran and my BIL worked on one newest LCMS Lectionary/hymnal).

I like the idea of saving one nice gift to open on Epiphany.  That's a great tradition.

• Like 1

Not that I can add anything to the wealth of wisdom you've already received but I grew up Episcopalian and Lutheran (private schools, don't ask....) and both celebrated it. My tree is still up! We will put up the outside lights tomorrow but the tree might stay. Haven't decided yet for this year. :)

The traditions we have for Epiphany are making King's Cake and doing a house blessing. It's also the last day of the Advent wreath; we keep lighting the Christ candle for the 12 days of Christmas. I also try to finish up all Christmas sweeties by today. The last of the fudge was eaten earlier, and I've been bugging people to finish off the peppermint bark or let me toss it.

Edited by flyingaway
  • Like 1

In the Lutheran church in Germany, Epiphany is celebrated. Trees and decorations stay up. There are special hymns.

Sundays throughout the church year are named; the five Sundays following Epiphany do not have separate names, but are named 1st through last Sunday after Epiphany.

• Like 1

oh, and in the Catholic Church, Epiphany is a big deal. Children would walk around, sing the three kings song, and write in chalk on the house C+M+B and the year. This is interpreted as the initials of the kings, but really means Christus mansionem benedictat" (Christ has blessed the house).

In Germany, Epiphany is a public holiday. No school, banks closed, etc.

• Like 5

Episcopal/Anglican here. We celebrate Epiphany. Made a special puff pastry cake, Pithivers, with an almond filling, traditional in parts of France.

Our tree goes up Christmas Eve and comes down tomorrow. Tradition, not s religious edict, lol.

Epiphany, or Three Kings Day, is a big holiday in Latino communities. NYC has a parade with camels, etc.

In Russia, people go swimming. Some Greek churches fo this too. Brrr!

Probably the biggest Epiphany observers are in the Ethiopian Coptic church. It's a three day celebration, many tourist packages for that time, which is actually late January (different liturgical calendar).

• Like 2

oh, and in the Catholic Church, Epiphany is a big deal. Children would walk around, sing the three kings song, and write in chalk on the house C+M+B and the year. This is interpreted as the initials of the kings, but really means Christus mansionem benedictat" (Christ has blessed the house).

In Germany, Epiphany is a public holiday. No school, banks closed, etc.

In our church, the priest will come and bless homes, if people want, during Epiphany season, not all on the actual day, lol.

They are basically interchangeable phrases.

In one of the Peter Wimsey novels, the distinction is drawn between "Church" and "Chapel". Church (in this case) would have been the Anglican Church, very liturgical; chapel would have been more of a low-key, "as the spirit leads" religious service, with a much greater emphasis on a "sermon with a bit of 'eart in it." (from Busman's Honeymoon; Mrs. Ruddle is speaking.)

Here is a youtube recording of the hymn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuUfL3U3jKc

Thank you for the hymn. I love that it has subtitles. Beautifully sung! Edited by Alessandra

total liturgical nerdom:  which lectionary are you using now?  I want to say it is a burgundy book but don't want to be confused with the infamous red book.   (former LCMS Lutheran and my BIL worked on one newest LCMS Lectionary/hymnal).

I like the idea of saving one nice gift to open on Epiphany.  That's a great tradition.

We are using the three year lectionary now.  I am not sure of the color conventions, LOL, but I think it was implemented as an option long before the burgundy book came out.  LCMS congregations can pick either one.  I'm not sure which book is the red one, but if it's The Lutheran Hymnal (1941), I grew up on that and absolutely love it still.

One of the Gospels is the focus each year of the three year lessons.  It was a Western ecumenical development in the 60s or 70s, intended to broaden people's exposure to the Bible.  I believe it was adopted by Lutheran, Catholic, and Anglican/Episcopal churches, but I am not about others.  

The one year lectionary is more ancient, so old books of sermons reflect it.  I am glad I grew up with it, because I heard those lessons so many times that I almost know them by heart.  And now when I read, say, C. F. W. Walther's "Gospel Sermons", I know the texts extremely well.

I wonder whether I know your BIL?  Do you want to PM me his name?  

• Like 1

We had a church service and I made a Kings Cake. Or the carrot cake version. But there were three dimes in foil in that cake! The three people getting the dime got to be the kings and wear a crown. It was fun. I think next year we need to be more festive. It was a big evening at church when I was young.

• Like 1

We are using the three year lectionary now. I am not sure of the color conventions, LOL, but I think it was implemented as an option long before the burgundy book came out. LCMS congregations can pick either one. I'm not sure which book is the red one, but if it's The Lutheran Hymnal (1941), I grew up on that and absolutely love it still.

One of the Gospels is the focus each year of the three year lessons. It was a Western ecumenical development in the 60s or 70s, intended to broaden people's exposure to the Bible. I believe it was adopted by Lutheran, Catholic, and Anglican/Episcopal churches, but I am not about others.

The one year lectionary is more ancient, so old books of sermons reflect it. I am glad I grew up with it, because I heard those lessons so many times that I almost know them by heart. And now when I read, say, C. F. W. Walther's "Gospel Sermons", I know the texts extremely well.

I wonder whether I know your BIL? Do you want to PM me his name?

I dislike the three year lectionary cycle. In the Orthodox Church, there is one gospel for the day and hymns etc are based on it. Western churches had prospers that went with the gospel, but now it's all mixed up.

And OT readings used to be linked to the gospel, now they are read as independent writings.

I feel that educating the public has taken over from good liturgy. JMHO, JAWM post.

• Like 1

I dislike the three year lectionary cycle. In the Orthodox Church, there is one gospel for the day and hymns etc are based on it. Western churches had prospers that went with the gospel, but now it's all mixed up.

And OT readings used to be linked to the gospel, now they are read as independent writings.

I feel that educating the public has taken over from good liturgy. JMHO, JAWM post.

See, I debate the quantity vs. quality issue myself.

Having a great deal of experience with both, I still prefer the one year, because I think it's better to know the passages extremely well then to get the broader exposure right in church.  Of course, I hope that most learn the Bible more completely outside of church as well.  

But the Epiphany season is when I miss the one year lectionary the most, because of those Gospel lessons.  Seeing Jesus revealed more and more widely, that slow build, is fantastic.  And then boom, the gesimas and Ash Wednesday--it's a wonderful series.  I love the church year, and this change takes away a lot of its impact.  Plus "Songs of Thankfulness and Praise" just doesn't work without those Gospels.

• Like 2

Episcopal/Anglican here. We celebrate Epiphany. Made a special puff pastry cake, Pithivers, with an almond filling, traditional in parts of France.

Our tree goes up Christmas Eve and comes down tomorrow. Tradition, not s religious edict, lol.

Epiphany, or Three Kings Day, is a big holiday in Latino communities. NYC has a parade with camels, etc.

In Russia, people go swimming. Some Greek churches fo this too. Brrr!

Probably the biggest Epiphany observers are in the Ethiopian Coptic church. It's a three day celebration, many tourist packages for that time, which is actually late January (different liturgical calendar).

They go swimming to race to retrieve the cross the priest has thrown in the water--three times! -- as part of the blessings service.

It was 30* here today and our poor volunteer didn't get the memo about wearing a wetsuit. Brrr!

How is this celebrated? Also, which religions celebrate it? I know what is it, I don't know what traditions might be done associated with it.

My husband grew up Catholic and even went to Catholic schools. But the other day he commented that he was surprised to see so many people still have their lights up. I said many people leave the lights up through the Epiphany. He asked me what the Epiphany was. 

I went to Catholic schools and we were *always* off on the Epiphany. Was your dh's family religious when he was growing up?

We are using the three year lectionary now.  I am not sure of the color conventions, LOL, but I think it was implemented as an option long before the burgundy book came out.  LCMS congregations can pick either one.  I'm not sure which book is the red one, but if it's The Lutheran Hymnal (1941), I grew up on that and absolutely love it still.

One of the Gospels is the focus each year of the three year lessons.  It was a Western ecumenical development in the 60s or 70s, intended to broaden people's exposure to the Bible.  I believe it was adopted by Lutheran, Catholic, and Anglican/Episcopal churches, but I am not about others.  

The one year lectionary is more ancient, so old books of sermons reflect it.  I am glad I grew up with it, because I heard those lessons so many times that I almost know them by heart.  And now when I read, say, C. F. W. Walther's "Gospel Sermons", I know the texts extremely well.

I wonder whether I know your BIL?  Do you want to PM me his name?  

Another curious Lutheran here...my husband worked in the music department for CPH when Lutheran Service Book came out. He even has an acknowledgement in the hymnal!

• Like 1

Huge festivity in Spain, public holiday too. The night before, there are three kings parades in many towns all over the country. Tv stations broadcast the big city parades, they are beautiful! We watched Madrid's parade this year, it took 2 1/2 hours from beginning to end.

Epiphany day is traditionally the gift giving and receiving day. The three kings bring presents to kids who have been good and coal to the naughty ones. Families gather for a feast and eat king cake. The best king cakes you can ever taste are made in bakeries all over the country. As a kid, I have fond memories of attending mass and then going to the baker's next door to buy our king cake, yum!

• Like 2

In Austria, many stores are closed for Epiphany.  Children dress as the three wise men and go from house to house or through restaurants collecting money for charity.  Many schools have a break from Dec 24 through Epiphany every year (rather than changing the length of the break based upon what day falls on a Monday).  Many Christmas traditions fall within the 12 days of Christmas (rather than before Christmas) and then end with Epiphany celebration

• Like 2

In Austria, many stores are closed for Epiphany. Children dress as the three wise men and go from house to house or through restaurants collecting money for charity. Many schools have a break from Dec 24 through Epiphany every year (rather than changing the length of the break based upon what day falls on a Monday). Many Christmas traditions fall within the 12 days of Christmas (rather than before Christmas) and then end with Epiphany celebration

Schools are on break in Spain too until after Epiphany day.