Menu

Cooking For 70 People

Reefgazer

It's cold where I live so things like salad probably wouldn't be a big hit. There's hardly any nutrition in canned green beans but they are easy to fix and inexpensive. Baked potatoes would be good with chili on them but might be difficult to make 70 of them. 

I'd probably go with fresh fruit- this time of year clementines are very good. Or you could mix fruit- grapes, apples, clementine sections, etc. Slice some bananas when it's time to serve.   

• Like 3

I'd add corn to the chili, lots of tomatoes - there you go. Or add corn niblets to the cornbread. Diced carrots cooked soft in the chili, too. Heck, add a couple cans of V-8 juice. That chili will be chock full of nutrients!

If finances permit, a small dish of cool fruit for afters would be nice (apple sauce, fruit salad, etc.)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 3

I have to cook for homeless shelter for Monday night; so about 70 people. I decided to cook chili with cornbread. What vegetable would be doable for a side and go with chili?

Normally, I'd say salad but maybe something warmer. Maybe just include more vegies in the chili. If you're still in the same general area that I'm in, it's going to be frigid Monday. Warm food will be very welcome.

• Like 3

Salad is extremely popular at the community dinners in my town all year round, and I live in a cold climate. It's served every night and guests often ask if they can some in a carry-out box (they can if there is leftover). For people who have few resources, fresh fruits and vegetables can be hard to come by. So I'd say salad. Chili, cornbread, and salad sounds like a delicious meal.

• Like 1

I'd up the veggies in the chili as others have said.... corn.... maybe carrots.... etc.

I also love the idea of serving it with fresh fruit.  People could even take their piece of fruit with them if they wanted to.... or do an apple crisp/apple pie type thing.

• Like 1

Coleslaw?  You can get bags of it cheaply, and make a quick dressing.  Just don't make those thick creamy dressings.  A light vinaigrette with just a dab of sugar is yummy.

ETA:  Oops, I see you already have it figured out!

Edited by J-rap