Menu

Sherlock....with spoilers

Moxie

I expected it, because Mary dies at some point in the original stories. But I didn't expect it so soon. I thought maybe that would be how the season ended.

Any idea how many episodes are in this season, and if they air straight Sundays until they're done? Is the next episode just a week away?

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

Beyond Mary's death, what are your thoughts on the episode? Idk, I didn't love it.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I was disappointed that Moriarty didn't actually show up! And the whole John/Mary/Sherlock as protector took a very witty, clever show and made it a bit too sentimental. Watson just seemed to be along for the ride, and I was very disappointed that he even entertained the idea of texting with bus girl. That was terribly unnecessary IMO.

I've enjoyed more of Mycroft.

I felt there was a good sized plot hole when they pinpointed Lady Smallwood as the traitor; I believe if she were, the creepy guy from the end of last season would have known about it and blackmailed her with it. She had previously been portrayed as someone of excellent integrity.

I liked Martin Freeman's grey hair!

• Like 4

Beyond Mary's death, what are your thoughts on the episode? Idk, I didn't love it.

I didn't mind Mary's death, I knew it was coming from the books. There were bits I liked (rattle in Sherlock's face) and bits I didn't (the dog). Overall, it was just uneven, like they tried to do too many things. All the cloak-and-dagger MI6 type stuff vs. the Mary story. And there was no case. The poor boy who dies in the car was just the setup case, like from last season, the lady dating a ghost was a setup for Sholto. I guess you can argue Mary was the case but they played it like Mary was the result of the work on Moriarty's case (hence John's blame). I don't know. I'll watch it again this week.

Did not like the emotional affair/pseudo-cheating story. Not one bit. Love that Sherlock went to a therapist about John.

• Like 4

And the whole John/Mary/Sherlock as protector took a very witty, clever show and made it a bit too sentimental.

This. Yes! You put your finger on my mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I like seeing Sherlock care. On the other ... meh.

I've enjoyed more of Mycroft.

Ditto.

I liked Martin Freeman's grey hair!

Not me. How many guys in their mid-forties look like that? Going grey, ok, plus Sherlock should have a lot by now too. But totally grey? It even looked white at times. It made it seem like the emotional affair was a mid-life crises. Boo.

• Like 2

This was not my favorite episode. And not just because I like Mary. It didn't have the charm and wit, the incredible brain twisters that the past several episodes have had. Not one I'm likely to re-watch. We loved last year's one episode. The wedding episode from the season before is probably our favorite.

• Like 2

After waiting for so long, I was disappointed. It was all over the place! The dog, the baby, the girl on the bus . . . by the end of the episode I'd almost forgotten why it was called "The Six Thatchers" in the first place. It's as if there were too many nuances to the plot (or lack thereof) to tie together.

And Mary . . . I'm sad to lose her.

• Like 2

I was surprised that Mary died so soon in the series until I read that she and Martin Freeman split in real life. Plus, she took away the duo. It wasn't the same with her. I really liked her, but she softened Sherlock too much. (I liked Watson's hair!)

I think the texting/ bus woman has to be linked to something else we don't know yet, or just a way to create a bigger split with Sherlock and Watson for more conflict in the upcoming episodes. It's so out of character.

• Like 2

I was surprised that Mary died so soon in the series until I read that she and Martin Freeman split in real life. Plus, she took away the duo. It wasn't the same with her. I really liked her, but she softened Sherlock too much. (I liked Watson's hair!)

I think the texting/ bus woman has to be linked to something else we don't know yet, or just a way to create a bigger split with Sherlock and Watson for more conflict in the upcoming episodes. It's so out of character.

I didn't realize Freeman and Abbington had split.

I expected it, because Mary dies at some point in the original stories. But I didn't expect it so soon. I thought maybe that would be how the season ended.

This is exactly what I was expecting.

I, too, liked seeing more of Mycroft. And I thought the episode was very different and I missed the typical wit, but I didn't disagree with the plot development. I'm not sure how John could have gotten away with the texting/emotional affair thing while being married to a former agent and having Sherlock as his best friend but I felt it made he and Mary more equal and I appreciated that he isn't shown to always be perfect.

I'm looking forward to the next two episodes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not me. How many guys in their mid-forties look like that? Going grey, ok, plus Sherlock should have a lot by now too. But totally grey? It even looked white at times. It made it seem like the emotional affair was a mid-life crises. Boo.

Hey, you try surviving a trio of Peter Jackson films and see what color your hair ends up ;-)

• Like 6

I figured someone was dying after reading a few reactions without spoilers. I was concerned it was going to be Lestrade. This episode felt a bit off to me as well. I will miss Mary, but she was greater than Watson as a companion, so I'm not sad to see her gone from the trio. It is quite sad that she and Martin have split in real life. 

the texting girl has to mean something...

• Like 1

I liked her character but wasn't crazy about the trio.  It will be interesting to see if they can pull the show back together with it being just the two of them again.  She added some complexity to the story line, that will be hard to replace....and I think will be missed. The writers are going to have to add some more depth to the characters to make up for it.  This is where it seems writers tend to 'jump the shark' in trying to add something meaningful and instead it all just falls apart in absurdity.