Menu

Anybody else halfway thru 9th grade

...and still feel like they have absolutely no clue what they're doing?   :confused:   It's like if I were in a plane and the pilot suddenly got up, made me sit at the controls and started laughing hysterically, saying, "Here, fly this!"

For 8 years, I've been building our "curriculum" myself.  Never again for high school.  Next year, I'm just going to buy curriculum that was made for homeschoolers.

And I knew high school for my two oldest was going to be strange.  They're strange kids.  They're both kinesthetic learners (I know a lot of people don't believe in that), but why would they want to read a textbook when they can build a working aquaponics system in their bedroom out of plastic tubing and junk from the recycling?    :svengo:   My oldest tested in the gifted range (I never tested the next kid).  You would think she would be all over her schoolwork getting it done, right?  Ha!  She'll do her geography reading as soon as she's finished rewiring the plastic tubing for her aquaponics set-up or relocating her rats to a new habitat.  It's like pulling teeth to get her to stop what she's doing and do schoolwork.  And she's not completely lazy.  Heck, she was actually on the news a couple months ago for something she did.  I've never been on the news!

I can't be the only one having a hard time with 9th grade.  I think my hair's turning white!  Is there no "hair turning white" emoji?  SWB, we need one!

• Like 4

It doesn't sound to me like you don't know what your doing. It sounds like you know extremely well what you want accomplished. It sounds like your daughter isnt complying with what needs to be done. I doubt school-in-box is going to easily rectify that situation and might end up making your hair turn white in boredom and making her feel trapped in busywork.

I would focus on the underlying issue instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water. She needs to be onboard with the necessary daily work regardless of what curriculum you use. It is her future and she is old enough to know that and take responsibility for that ownership. High school requires self-discipline in completing assignments that they have absolutely zero interest in doing.

• Like 7

I would focus on the underlying issue instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water. She needs to be onboard with the necessary daily work regardless of what curriculum you use. It is her future and she is old enough to know that and take responsibility for that ownership. High school requires self-discipline in completing assignments that they have absolutely zero interest in doing.

Yes, this is a huge problem.  She is a big procrastinator, too, and I don't know how to fix that.  This fall, I actually moved her bedroom onto the ground floor with us (every teenager's worst nightmare), because she spent so much time in her room on projects that we kept sending search parties after her.

Edited to add:  I opened her Excel file to review what we've finished so far this year.  They actually have done a lot.  I guess more than I was picturing in my mind.  

Wow, I am seriously just second-guessing myself this week.  

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 2

I don't think your kids are strange.  Given the chance, most people - adults and kids alike, gifted or not gifted - will focus their attention and energy on things they're interested in.

Has she expressed any higher education or career goals?  Start talking to her about that kind of thing - high school graduation requirements, college entrance requirements, etc.   Then talk about how to fulfill requirements and meet goals.  A 9th grader can understand the concept of required subjects.  

I agree that it's unlikely that "school in a box" is going to help you.  I think you need to look outside the box - which you probably have already been doing if you've been putting together your own curriculum.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

I am half way through ninth grade with my first (and only) homeschooled child and still feel clueless!

I just listed everything we have done so far this year and counted up hours to see how we are doing, which made me feel slightly better for some subjects and slightly worse for other subjects.

One important thing I have learned: I will never again piece together my own science! We are loving the biology resources I picked but it makes me feel way too scattered. And I was shocked at how little we have actually accomplished when I counted up hours. For chemistry next year, it will be a purchased program, down to the labs.

• Like 4

I am half way through ninth grade with my first (and only) homeschooled child and still feel clueless!

I just listed everything we have done so far this year and counted up hours to see how we are doing, which made me feel slightly better for some subjects and slightly worse for other subjects.

One important thing I have learned: I will never again piece together my own science! We are loving the biology resources I picked but it makes me feel way too scattered. And I was shocked at how little we have actually accomplished when I counted up hours. For chemistry next year, it will be a purchased program, down to the labs.

I spent literally 7 hours yesterday researching Chemistry for next year. I settled on Spectrum Chemistry because it comes complete with labs and it has lots of good reviews from WTMers. The ONLY supply you add yourself is a jug of distilled water. :). It's $316 for the entire curric (plus the cost of the distilled water.)

And if you like Spectrum Chemistry but don't want to teach it yourself, Landry Academy will teach it for you for $780. Part of me wants to go that route...but the money. The money. It's always about the money. Sigh.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

Halfway through 9th grade was a low point in our homeschooling. In the end, I realized that what had worked up until that point wouldn't continue to work. After lots of trial and error, we've finally found our new normal. We're halfway through 10th grade now, and although there are still occasional cloudy days, overall life is much sunnier. 

Hang in there! You're not alone!

• Like 5

Halfway through 9th grade was a low point in our homeschooling. In the end, I realized that what had worked up until that point wouldn't continue to work. After lots of trial and error, we've finally found our new normal. We're halfway through 10th grade now, and although there are still occasional cloudy days, overall life is much sunnier. 

Hang in there! You're not alone!

That actually makes me feel better.  In general, what kind of changes did you need to make?  Different curriculum?  Different approach?  Or schedule changes?

• Like 3

Oh, my goodness.  I am right there with ya'.  Never again!  Lol.

• Like 2

We've had a good 1/2 year, but the problem is that it's been too much. And this coming second half will also be too much, because I signed up my son for the SAT 2 tests in Bio and World History to knock them out early. So on top of our full school days, I'll have to find some time for test prep, as well.

Our problem is that we've worked so hard that I'm afraid I'll burn him out. My goal next year is to back off a bit on some of the work. Biology has taken us 2 to 2.5 hours EVERY DAY. Ay yi yi! That was part of why I chose Spectrum Chemistry for next year. It's supposed to take 2 hours of bookwork plus varying amounts of lab work each week. For us, since we're slow, it will probably end up being 3-4 hours of bookwork, plus the lab work (which ranges from an hour to 3 or so a week.). But that's better than the 10-12 hours a week of bio we're doing now. It's brutal to us.

I also am doing too much for World History this year, but that's because of this SAT world history test we're hoping to have him take. So World History takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours a day. And after history and bio are done, we still have 4 other classes to do each day, which are more reasonable at just one hour each.

Next year: no SAT subject tests. It's been too much. I'm hoping my guy can hang in there a few more months so we can ease up.

• Like 4

That actually makes me feel better.  In general, what kind of changes did you need to make?  Different curriculum?  Different approach?  Or schedule changes?

We did a realistic assessment of the situation, goals, personalities, motivations etc. 

In the end we decided to outsource all five core subjects. At first it was painful because it meant letting go of the high school homeschooling years I had envisioned since she was in preschool.  Now, though, I can't imagine it any other way. Our relationship has improved by leaps and bounds. We talk all day long about her classes, what she's learning, outside interests etc. She's motivated and we're on the same team again. Those two things are worth more than any idealistic vision of homeschooling. 

We also made a time map that clearly shows how much time she is spending on various parts of her life. We tweaked it until there was a balance that looked healthy to me and felt right to her. 

It took time and tears, but I'm grateful beyond words for the results. 

Best of luck finding your path!

• Like 8

We did a realistic assessment of the situation, goals, personalities, motivations etc.

In the end we decided to outsource all five core subjects. At first it was painful because it meant letting go of the high school homeschooling years I had envisioned since she was in preschool. Now, though, I can't imagine it any other way. Our relationship has improved by leaps and bounds. We talk all day long about her classes, what she's learning, outside interests etc. She's motivated and we're on the same team again. Those two things are worth more than any idealistic vision of homeschooling.

We also made a time map that clearly shows how much time she is spending on various parts of her life. We tweaked it until there was a balance that looked healthy to me and felt right to her.

It took time and tears, but I'm grateful beyond words for the results.

Best of luck finding your path!

Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 3

My son is halfway through 9th.  My first in high school.  His 8th grade sister is doing better than he is this year.  She's doing almost all the same work, if not more.  It's been awful.  Pulling teeth to just get him dressed many days.  This week was a catch up week. He's working past dinner, she has nothing.  It's so frustrating.  No holiday fun stuff happening here...just him doing school more than a normal school day for 2 subjects!!!!!  

We had a panic moment with writing mid semester so he's doing a short online writing class.  I've realized all our years of R&S grammar were not retained in his brain, and next year will have to be different than I had imagined.  He will need an outsourced English class.  He was willing to try another grammar program, but reality is, he needs that outside teacher to actually give a crap.  We are actually dropping formal curriculum next year in lieu of making our own thing.  I'm putting together Biology for both, and setting up a framework of Japanese history for him to research/report next year.  I'm going to have to create some electives b/c he works at a slower pace, I can't go through another online elective like this semester.  He made it too hard.  

I wish he were independent and motivated.  He's not.  I keep reading it's a boy thing.  He's growing like crazy right now.  I'm trying to be patient.  But yes, 9th grade hasn't been at all what I imagined.  My 8th grader doing all high school work has done much better.  She's a girl though.....motivated and a quick worker.  Night and day.   At this point I'm pretty sure I'll graduate her with her brother and then ask her to take a gap year before college....

We have made changes for next semester.   He is done with an elective class, so in theory has more time.  I'm going to have to assign more basic essays and then fight with him about the grammar usage until fall when he can have another teacher tell him his issues.  I'm setting office hours for questions.  I'm not going to help with German anymore.  I've had to accept he's not going to mature this year and be independent like I wanted.  The hand holding is stopping though...so my expectations are lower.  My goal this spring is to figure out a 10th grade year that could be independent of me, and try to set him up for success.  Who knows if he's up to the task yet...

• Like 3

My son is halfway through 9th.  My first in high school.  His 8th grade sister is doing better than he is this year.  She's doing almost all the same work, if not more.  It's been awful.  Pulling teeth to just get him dressed many days.  

This is going on here, too.  My 9th grader and 8th grader are combined in everything but math (the 9th grader still blows him out of the water in math).  The 8th grader is actually working harder than the 9th grader.   :svengo:  And I make a list and he gets it all done.  Whereas, the 9th grader will still be working on personal projects, etc - and he'll be finished with everything.  So, our roles are switched.  My 9th grader is a girl and my 8th grader is a boy.  

Maybe it's the age??

• Like 3

You are not alone. Dd has been having chronic migraines since the summer, which has had a big impact on her ability to do full school days & full school weeks. We're really struggling with figuring out the triggers and the best way to deal when she's suffering. Hence I feel like we're behind in everything, although hours-wise I think we're mostly ok.  But the work is less demanding than I had planned, simply because when she's in pain she can't focus on reading or writing. So there are times when I read aloud to her, or we have a discussion in lieu of a writing assignment. It's not ideal, but she's still learning a lot and very involved with her independent writing projects. 

The biggest thing that has suffered is my grandiose plans for home-made science - sounds like I'm not the only one to be considering a fully packaged science for next year! even for the rest of this year, I'm trying to figure out if we can come up with something canned just to limp through. I had this vision of doing lots of field & outdoor stuff, but the reality is that takes so much time out of the day & week, and with the in ability to put in long days and/or lost days due to pain, I just don't feel like we have the time for that. I'm actually planning to sit down with dd today to revamp the science plan for the rest of the year, thinking we may just need to do what it takes to pull a respectable biology-with-lab credit out of the shambles of my plan. It's been a downer.

On the other hand, lots of great reading, writing, and thinking are going on! Math is going completely smoothly, I think we have Spanish figured out, and all the english & elective classes are good. It's really just science we're struggling with.

:iagree:

• Like 5

My son is halfway through 9th.  My first in high school.  His 8th grade sister is doing better than he is this year.  She's doing almost all the same work, if not more.  It's been awful.  Pulling teeth to just get him dressed many days.  This week was a catch up week. He's working past dinner, she has nothing.  It's so frustrating.  No holiday fun stuff happening here...just him doing school more than a normal school day for 2 subjects!!!!!  

We had a panic moment with writing mid semester so he's doing a short online writing class.  I've realized all our years of R&S grammar were not retained in his brain, and next year will have to be different than I had imagined.  He will need an outsourced English class.  He was willing to try another grammar program, but reality is, he needs that outside teacher to actually give a crap.  We are actually dropping formal curriculum next year in lieu of making our own thing.  I'm putting together Biology for both, and setting up a framework of Japanese history for him to research/report next year.  I'm going to have to create some electives b/c he works at a slower pace, I can't go through another online elective like this semester.  He made it too hard.  

I wish he were independent and motivated.  He's not.  I keep reading it's a boy thing.  He's growing like crazy right now.  I'm trying to be patient.  But yes, 9th grade hasn't been at all what I imagined.  My 8th grader doing all high school work has done much better.  She's a girl though.....motivated and a quick worker.  Night and day.   At this point I'm pretty sure I'll graduate her with her brother and then ask her to take a gap year before college....

We have made changes for next semester.   He is done with an elective class, so in theory has more time.  I'm going to have to assign more basic essays and then fight with him about the grammar usage until fall when he can have another teacher tell him his issues.  I'm setting office hours for questions.  I'm not going to help with German anymore.  I've had to accept he's not going to mature this year and be independent like I wanted.  The hand holding is stopping though...so my expectations are lower.  My goal this spring is to figure out a 10th grade year that could be independent of me, and try to set him up for success.  Who knows if he's up to the task yet...

Yes, the slowness and lack of motivation has been difficult.  Very, very difficult.  Not so much for him, but for me.  I want to pull out my hair.  I can feel the negative chemicals coursing through my body some days and it's all I can do to breathe slowly and not scream.

My nephew wrote a college application essay and it was about how he's grown over the past four years.  He wrote that in 9th and 10th he had NO motivation to do anything, but that it kicked in in 11th.  And it has.  So, I feel a bit of hope.  

I also remember back when I was in school.  I wasn't motivated, but I was fast.  Fast fast fast.  So, if we had a biology lab, I could knock that thing out in half the time it took the other students.  I didn't retain anything, but the work was DONE.  I used to wonder what the heck was wrong with all the slowpokes I went to school with. 

My son is one of the "slow pokes."  And I think to myself, "What the heck is wrong with this slowpoke!?!"  The thing is, I think he retains more than I did.  So maybe slow and steady is better for him.  And if I'm remembering correctly from 30 years ago when I was in school, most people are a lot slower than I am.

I don't know.  It's a big mix.  Sometimes he's so slow it's all I can do not to scream and I walk out of the room to do some deep breathing.  But other times I can see where his slowness benefits him and helps him to retain things.  So there's good slow and bad slow and I have to be careful to allow him room for the good slow and to try to inspire him to overcome the bad slow.

And then I continually think of my nephew who could be pretty goofy when he was in 9th and 10th grade, but has now become a very mature and reasonable young man whose company I enjoy a lot.  Even though there is no blood relationship, I see that my son is a lot like my nephew--goofing off and losing focus, yet there are glimpses of the maturity to come. 

As I think I said before, I remember reading this past summer that a lot of WTMers said the transition to 9th is rocky for most people, parents and kids.  And as you said, I think it might be rockier for boys who might mature a couple of years behind the girls.  That's not true for everyone, but it seems like it might be true for many.  My friend talks about how her daughter went through what my son is going through a couple of years ago, though they're the same age.

• Like 4

This is going on here, too.  My 9th grader and 8th grader are combined in everything but math (the 9th grader still blows him out of the water in math).  The 8th grader is actually working harder than the 9th grader.   :svengo:  And I make a list and he gets it all done.  Whereas, the 9th grader will still be working on personal projects, etc - and he'll be finished with everything.  So, our roles are switched.  My 9th grader is a girl and my 8th grader is a boy.  

Maybe it's the age??

So that blows the theory that it's a boy-girl thing.  :)   Perhaps it is an age thing, as you said.  Perhaps it's that we as parents give off a different vibe, knowing that the 9th grader's work will count on a transcript and the 8th grader's won't? I know that if my 6th grader gets a B on a test, it's not a big deal.  I don't record grades.  I give him some tests that come with the curriculum, just for fun and just to see where he stands  But the grade means nothing, really.

But for 9th grade, the work needs to be at a certain level in order to justify giving a good grade on the transcript. There is more weight to what the 9th grader is doing than to what an 8th grader is doing.  Maybe that comes across in my attitude and makes my 9th grader freeze up.  

Homeschooling high school is a different animal.  

• Like 4

Perhaps it's that we as parents give off a different vibe, knowing that the 9th grader's work will count on a transcript and the 8th grader's won't?

I suspect this is another reason why we are not enjoying the school year.  I usually pick curriculum and books based on what I think looks interesting, but this year, I chose things based on how they would look to colleges and whether or not they were "high school worthy".  Ugh.   :glare:  I feel like I wasted a school year.

• Like 3

I think it is very individual.  I have had extremely focused male and female 9th graders.  I have had I am only interested in ______ (which had absolutely nothing to do with school) 9th graders.  I can't say they all ended up in the same place by high school graduation b/c they didn't.  They all ended up just fine and found their feet and path forward toward adulthood.  Just different and the right one for their individual personalities and goals.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 5

I suspect this is another reason why we are not enjoying the school year.  I usually pick curriculum and books based on what I think looks interesting, but this year, I chose things based on how they would look to colleges and whether or not they were "high school worthy".  Ugh.   :glare:  I feel like I wasted a school year.

This is my next book project.  As soon as my 12th grader's application season is over, I am writing a book on my kids' high school and college application experiences. 

ETA:  I am writing it b/c it doesn't have to be school at home to be worthy.  It doesn't have to follow everyone else's path, either.  It can be uniquely them and high rigor at the same time.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 7

This is my next book project. As soon as my 12th grader's application season is over, I am writing a book on my kids' high school and college application experiences.

ETA: I am writing it b/c it doesn't have to be school at home to be worthy. It doesn't have to follow everyone else's path, either. It can be uniquely them and high rigor at the same time.

Oh good, my oldest is 13 and this is a book I really want to read!

Write quickly please?

• Like 4

We're halfway through 10th and some days are still  :confused1:  :smash:  :toetap05:  :willy_nilly: . But, my girl is like the boys mentioned upthread. She's always been a tough kid, though.

We ended up outsourcing just about everything, and the stuff not outsourced is what doesn't get done! Having a really good grasp of time needs and balancing those with the need for the kid to have time for their own interests is HUGE.

You'll find my 9th grade freakouts in past threads.  :001_cool:  

Sitting down with the big picture needs for high school was helpful. Getting her input on what she wants to do was helpful, but with my kid, she won't do it if she doesn't love it. And lots of required stuff (science & writing) are on her dislike list. So, we outsource - knowing she cares about the due date and grade her outside teacher give her. (It is still  :eek: before those due dates, don't get me wrong!) 

I have another kid coming up to 9th grade next year & she's anti-online class. So, we'll be doing everything ourselves. She's a completely different kid, so I'm hoping for an easier transition. Here's hoping.  :cool:

I spent literally 7 hours yesterday researching Chemistry for next year. I settled on Spectrum Chemistry because it comes complete with labs and it has lots of good reviews from WTMers. The ONLY supply you add yourself is a jug of distilled water. :). It's $316 for the entire curric (plus the cost of the distilled water.)

And if you like Spectrum Chemistry but don't want to teach it yourself, Landry Academy will teach it for you for $780. Part of me wants to go that route...but the money. The money. It's always about the money. Sigh.

We bought credits ahead of time, so Landry is teaching it (different labs, BTW) for less than $200 including the lab kit (which is part of Landry's class fee) and the text from Dobbins.

That was part of why I chose Spectrum Chemistry for next year. It's supposed to take 2 hours of bookwork plus varying amounts of lab work each week. For us, since we're slow, it will probably end up being 3-4 hours of bookwork, plus the lab work (which ranges from an hour to 3 or so a week.). But that's better than the 10-12 hours a week of bio we're doing now. It's brutal to us.

The bookwork is really short, so it really might only be 2 hours/week. However, the labs might take more. That's where the meat of the program is. (Landry's labs are different, so I don't have first hand knowledge. However, I've read LOTS of threads about Spectrum Chem & remember that the labs are the big time commitment. There is one every single week.)

Questions about Spectrum

Spectrum Chemistry Grading (because if you want to give a grade, how much do you weight everything?)

• Like 5

In the Flemish system we can't outsource much as there aren't providers available.

We also don't have much freedom as the exam requirements are pretty spelled out.

The good news is there aren't any grade 9 exams :)

Dd finally hit a wall in her studies, and has to learn to deal with it.

This happens with a lot of emotions.

To certain level I like the idea of sitting around the table and making a plan together.

But I'm afraid for too many : 'I dunno' and 'shuddering' of shoulders.

• Like 5

A few thoughts crossed my mind as I read your thread.

First, yes, when my oldest was in 9th and even in 10th, I still wondered if I knew what I was doing! I think it's the nature of doing something new/foreign in our homeschooling. I often told my oldest he was my on-the-job training. Things won't be perfect!

Second, this comment stood out to me:

For 8 years, I've been building our "curriculum" myself.  Never again for high school.  Next year, I'm just going to buy curriculum that was made for homeschoolers.

I do think this makes a huge difference. It's one thing to go eclectic and pull from here and there--but it's another thing to try to use something that wasn't designed for homeschoolers (answer key issues, class dynamics issues etc...). I tried a couple of things that were not only not made for homeschoolers but that really were not homeschool-friendly in the way that they were set up--and after that, I said "never again" too! I needed to find things that were easy for me to use and had the teacher-helps that I needed for this level of instruction. 

The third thing I thought was about your daughter not complying. I had that happen with my oldest a few times. He would either get into some project, or into watching things on his DS, and wouldn't get around to all of his school. When his distraction involved the DS, the solution was easy--DS lives on my desk until all school is done for the day. When it involved other things in his room, I had to take his room away for a few days. All school was done at the kitchen table, and after that he could go work on projects in his room. 

I explained that this was not a punishment. He had responsibilities, and he needed to learn the self-control to get those done before pursuing personal projects. When he thought he was ready to try again without the imposed boundaries, I let him try again. This is a skill that all people need. After that time, if he started having an issue again, I'd ask, "Do you need to do your school in the kitchen again for awhile?"

My dd didn't have as many issues, but I did have to take her Kindle a few times, and then a few times she admitted it was too much of a distraction and self-imposed a boundary by putting it on my desk. 

So, you might think through how to help your daughter move towards greater self-control in this area. With my kids, I really didn't care whether school was done in the morning, but it did have to be done each day. If you are trying to let her schedule out her own weeks, she may need more guidance/direction before she's ready for that much freedom. I generally reserve that for upper high school years, when they show they are ready for it.

Fourth--you may get better "buy-in" if you have her help in choosing curriculum for subjects where what you are doing now isn't working. I used to find several things that I thought could work (and that had what I needed as a teacher), and then let my kids look at online samples and say what they liked and didn't like about each. 

Hang in there!

• Like 6

Your DD actually sounds amazing to me. I think it's always different strokes for different folks. This is going to sound braggy but I hope it doesn't come across as such. Mine really loves academics and that's where he excels and I don't have to push very hard. Believe me, I know I'm very fortunate. But I sometimes wish mine would have passions outside of academics like your DD. I wish he would initiate projects like the ones you describe. All mine wants to do is theoretical work. It's super fun for him but not half as fun for me because I don't get to see much of physically present output. Forget anything about making the news too. It's all in his head and he is not very keen on or even capable about sharing it with the world just yet.

We would have been half way through 9th if we had taken things chronologically but with large doses of imposter syndrome, I went ahead and grade skipped him. He is too spiky for me to have followed chronology.

I will share some things I'm learning if it helps.

DS does a lot of DE and we work in semesters as set by this college schedule. After every half year/ end of semester, I gather together the materials that he's finished and I store them in Sterilite totes and stack them up in my garage. Sometimes I need one tote per semester, depending on how many books, notebooks, files were used and sometimes I can fit two semesters in one box. There really is a huge sense of accomplishment (for me) to see these boxes fill up. I know it sounds shallow in some ways...like a quantity over quality thing but you know what? I love it. I love seeing all that work accomplished. I'm a very visual person. It's sad in some ways but these totes are the only proof I have when a significant amount of what DS has accomplished reside in his head or get wiped off of his whiteboards. Try it and see if it helps. After every semester, put things away, see them build up and see how much better you feel.

I sometimes organize or sign up for college prep seminars and workshops run by homeschoolers. These always help (but also overwhelm me). However, months later, when I stumble across my notes from these workshops, I always feel so inspired. Here are some thoughts I've jotted down. I see a common thread and this is how I've tried to challenge my kiddo too. These were from veteran homeschooling moms and dads who sometimes designed their own classes, looked for mentors and then sourced other kids for the classes but I don't see why it cannot apply to those of you using home-based curriculum or self teaching too:

"Goals were always driven by kid's needs. I wanted to build on his knowledge of history and physics so I designed a class based on that."

"If a class is engaging, my kid will sit there for hours, lapping it all up. What drives this is a need and if designing a class, this need must be similar with the needs of other kids there for the class to work."

"For classes to work, for kids to want to work hard, you and the kids have to be serious. So serious that the profs or teachers you engage will really want to donate or use their time teaching your kid. Serious = kid's passion. What is the kid truly interested in? Don't waste time with teachers who give you criteria. Look for teachers who will follow your/ your kids' criteria."

"9th grade can be whatever your kid is capable of reading/ writing/ learning. Follow your kid's goals, not someone else's."

"Many colleges don't consider 9th grade work as heavily as they would 10th-12th. They will also look at rigor over the long term, whether classes were more challenging over time."

Relevancy -- this was not ad verbum but one of my friends who gave me advice worthy of a workshop over the phone several years ago stressed the importance of how relevant the work is to what the child wants to learn. So she had hers sit in on a college class one day with the prof's permission. Once the child understood that this is what it looks like and how much he wanted it, he became more motivated to learn about college requirements and the other content/ skill subjects required for reaching his goals. This was one way she used to make it relevant but she did not stop there. She organized lots and lots of field trips with other subject matter experts to keep her child motivated. I know that not all of us can do this as it depends on access to such resources. But I think the point is that all of this takes time and perhaps it helps to spend some time researching the "why"s of what you want your child to achieve and how relevant that is to your child's own goals. Not my advice but my take away from reading all these notes.

My last thought was to see if you can find books by Wes Beach in your library. They are also quite inexpensive on Amazon if you want to buy them. He deals with some very out of the box learners, some very academic and research oriented and some very kinesthetic.

• Like 8

My last thought was to see if you can find books by Wes Beach in your library. They are also quite inexpensive on Amazon if you want to buy them. He deals with some very out of the box learners, some very academic and research oriented and some very kinesthetic.

Is this the same guy with the Beach High School - is it an umbrella school?  I'm not looking for an umbrella school, but that website has "my kids" written all over it.  They would LOVE a high school program that was hands-on oriented.  

Is this the same guy with the Beach High School - is it an umbrella school?  I'm not looking for an umbrella school, but that website has "my kids" written all over it.  They would LOVE a high school program that was hands-on oriented.  

Yes but I am not suggesting you join his umbrella school! I certainly did not. I'm recommending the books he has written. They are a quick read so you might not want to buy them but they helped me when I had similar questions some time ago. He doesn't run a program of any sort that I know of. He helps package what kids do out of sheer passion/ interest into something that will make sense to admissions officers.

Here are his titles:

https://www.amazon.com/Wes-Beach/e/B00J6KZUZ0

• Like 1

... IMO unschooling is a huge risk I am personally not willing to take.  However, if you're already unschooling high school I have heard good things about Wes Beach (from local people IRL) and even his school actually.  Also, consider unschooling just for certain subjects.  

Designing your own curriculum and unschooling are not synonyms.  The OP stated, "For 8 years, I've been building our "curriculum" myself."  Reading her post didn't sound like unschooling to me.  I build our own curriculum and I am as about as far from unschooling as you can get.

• Like 1

...and still feel like they have absolutely no clue what they're doing?   :confused:   It's like if I were in a plane and the pilot suddenly got up, made me sit at the controls and started laughing hysterically, saying, "Here, fly this!"

We are halfway thru 9th grade... and we started the year completely adrift. Then I come here and delve into research for all 4 years - and after a couple months, swapping some things around, going from all 'at-home' schooling to nearly all 'outsourcing' high school, I feel we have a handle on it. But BTDT early on this year....

I understand where you're coming from. No one who homeschools really knows what it's like to homeschool until they reach 9th grade - boy does everything change!!!

You can do it!!!

• Like 1

I think I am partially in denial, so that I don't full on panic!  :crying:   My dd suffered from anxiety & ocd for years, then we found out she had Lyme disease, so for all of last year & part of the year before, she wasn't able to do much.  She had a lot of pain and fatigue, plus brain fog.  Her health has greatly improved, which is the biggest blessing, so maybe that's also why I'm not stressing.  But.....  she is behind, and also because I'm still not certain what she is truly capable of (I don't think she is , either), it's a struggle.  She's doing the basic of basics when it comes to curriculum.  She is extremely motivated, because she wants to graduate when she's 18, and she is college bound.  I hope I'll have a better idea as the months go on where she'll fit next year, but I know to some it will seem like ??? you haven't done xyz, haven't been preparing for the ACT/SATs, etc....  I know I'm going to have to give her a reality check at some point, and let her know that she might have to either do on-line college for a year or 2, or tech. college for the 1st couple, just so that she can get into-whereever.  It's unreal to me that we are at this point, and me, the big planner and researcher has no idea of what we're doing next.  Maybe that's MY reality check.  So, the moral is, you are not alone!

• Like 1

I think I am partially in denial, so that I don't full on panic!  :crying:   My dd suffered from anxiety & ocd for years, then we found out she had Lyme disease, so for all of last year & part of the year before, she wasn't able to do much.  She had a lot of pain and fatigue, plus brain fog.  Her health has greatly improved, which is the biggest blessing, so maybe that's also why I'm not stressing.  But.....  she is behind, and also because I'm still not certain what she is truly capable of (I don't think she is , either), it's a struggle.  She's doing the basic of basics when it comes to curriculum.  She is extremely motivated, because she wants to graduate when she's 18, and she is college bound.  I hope I'll have a better idea as the months go on where she'll fit next year, but I know to some it will seem like ??? you haven't done xyz, haven't been preparing for the ACT/SATs, etc....  I know I'm going to have to give her a reality check at some point, and let her know that she might have to either do on-line college for a year or 2, or tech. college for the 1st couple, just so that she can get into-whereever.  It's unreal to me that we are at this point, and me, the big planner and researcher has no idea of what we're doing next.  Maybe that's MY reality check.  So, the moral is, you are not alone!

I'm sorry you feel panicked. My sr was incredibly ill for the end of 10th, through the summer and the first semester of 11th.  My dd is also extremely motivated.  We tried multiple different approaches until we found one that worked for her.  She stopped trying to do every subject every day.  When she was in deep brain fog, it was easier for her to stay focused on what she was doing vs. constantly changing subjects.  Some days she might dig in and work on just 2 or 3 subjects all day long and keep with those the next.  Then she might shift her focus to another subject and work on it all day the next day.  We made whatever her brain was capable of coping with the focus of the day.  She was able to accomplish a tremendous amt that way.  

Let summers be your anti-stress.  Your dd is only a 9th grader.  There is no reason she can't complete a subject over the summer as a way to catch up/maintain/finish or whatever else needs to happen.  You don't need to panic.  Just create realistic goals and take them one day at a time.

• Like 3

I'm sorry you feel panicked. My sr was incredibly ill for the end of 10th, through the summer and the first semester of 11th.  My dd is also extremely motivated.  We tried multiple different approaches until we found one that worked for her.  She stopped trying to do every subject every day.  When she was in deep brain fog, it was easier for her to stay focused on what she was doing vs. constantly changing subjects.  Some days she might dig in and work on just 2 or 3 subjects all day long and keep with those the next.  Then she might shift her focus to another subject and work on it all day the next day.  We made whatever her brain was capable of coping with the focus of the day.  She was able to accomplish a tremendous amt that way.  

Let summers be your anti-stress.  Your dd is only a 9th grader.  There is no reason she can't complete a subject over the summer as a way to catch up/maintain/finish or whatever else needs to happen.  You don't need to panic.  Just create realistic goals and take them one day at a time.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I like the idea of her only focusing on a few subjects each day, and think it would make a big difference.  I know it would help her anxiety, especially on days when she isn't 100%, instead of looking at a mile long list, she would have something achievable. 

• Like 1