Menu

Spectrum Chemistry with Landry Lab?

I'm trying to finalize a plan for my hs junior for chemistry. The reviews on Spectrum look good, but the lab materials are soooo expensive. It would be more economical for us to wait and do the chem lab with Landry the following year at 1/2 the price. So, here's the question - have any of you used an alternative lab with Spectrum other than the lab they provide and did this work well?

I would definitely NOT recommend following that path or doing ANY other labs than Spectrum's. The lab component is integral into Spectrum's chemistry course. The labs are not something that are meant to supplement the chemistry course but are meant to be a significant part of the course. The textbook itself is very minimal and can easily be covered in a short time. However the labs are intensive and require about 2 hrs every single week. They require extensive write-ups which incorporate all of the the chemistry concepts being studied.

If you don't want to pay for Spectrum's labs, you really need to choose an alternative text.

I would definitely NOT recommend following that path or doing ANY other labs than Spectrum's. The lab component is integral into Spectrum's chemistry course. The labs are not something that are meant to supplement the chemistry course but are meant to be a significant part of the course. The textbook itself is very minimal and can easily be covered in a short time. However the labs are intensive and require about 2 hrs every single week. They require extensive write-ups which incorporate all of the the chemistry concepts being studied.

If you don't want to pay for Spectrum's labs, you really need to choose an alternative text.

:iagree: I received our shipment a few days ago, and after reviewing it, it felt like Labs with the text as the supplement. :001_smile: The Labs are an integral part of this curriculum. When deciding to homeschool high school, I knew science was going to cost me, especially chemistry and biology.

I agree, not with Spectrum.

We're doing that somewhat with DIVE. I've selected a few of them that we'll do, but the majority of the lab time will be a Landry intensive in the fall and watching the DIVE ones. Some of the DIVE ones aren't doable at home anyway.

I agree, not with Spectrum.

We're doing that somewhat with DIVE. I've selected a few of them that we'll do, but the majority of the lab time will be a Landry intensive in the fall and watching the DIVE ones. Some of the DIVE ones aren't doable at home anyway.

So which chemistry text are you using with DIVE?