Menu

PNWers - snowpocolypse 2.0

swimmermom3

This is crazy!  We've been in the same suburban house for 20+ years. In all that time, dh has worked at the airport or in town.  This is the first time ever the man has not been able to get home. It's not him. We have 4WD and chains.  The roads are still a mess and many are a parking lot.

Stay safe out there if you are out and about.

My son and his friend home from college took a bag of our cat litter out to the hill we can see from our house. They rescued 10 cars, but as soon as they got a group moving again, somebody else screwed it up and stalled another handful of cars

:blushing: The neighborhood guys usually help out. When everyone gets too tired or cold, we sit by the window, drink cocktails, and watch the excitement.

• Like 3

you must be near portland.  seattle and environs are crystal clear.

but I know what you mean.  one year, dh was working in tacoma.  blue sky and sunshine.  listening to the radio of keystone cops of spin outs, traffic jams (some people didn't get home until after midnight - if they got home at all), and snow snow and more snow.   he was in federal way - (halfway to seattle) before he saw the first flake.   he bailed on the freeway and did surface streets.  2 1/2 hours was a record.  most people were far slower.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear your husband cannot get home. My son was actually stranded in Portland once when he got a ride to an activity with one of my friends. They had to abandon the car and spend the night in a hotel.

I'm really enjoying this weather because we live very near the center of our city, so I can easily walk to everything. It was beautiful walking home from work tonight, and I just found out that the building where I work will not open until noon tomorrow. Yeah! And our dog is loving playing in the snow for the first time, it's so fun to watch her.

Despite my enjoyment of the snowy weather, I do worry about those that have to drive or don't have a warm place to spend the night. Hope your husband makes it home soon.

• Like 1

Ugh, It was bad timing for me.  I have 3 appointments between Wed and Thurs.  2 were medical that were rescheduled from last weeks snow/ice.  I doubt I will get in before the end of the year now (already hit my max oop for my insurance in 2016). The other was my physical for my health insurance. Now I will get penalized for turning it in late.  

I like the snow, but am frustrated that so many offices are closed.  

• Like 1

It's snowing hard? Been pretty dry up here this week, though we have maybe six inches supposed to accumulate by Saturday night that's no big deal.

If you're getting slammed with feet of the white stuff I hope you're safely off the roads :(

We are in the burbs of Portland. Dh left his downtown office at 3:15pm. Ninety minutes later, he still wasn't out of town yet, so pulled the rig into a parking lot and took a nap.  He woke up an hour later and decided to walk to a local restaurant for dinner as cars were still at a dead stop.  He just texted me to let me know he's spending the night as his brother's on the SE side. He figured everyone would eventually get home and he'd have the road to himself. I guess there are a bunch of cars abandoned on the roads and the ramps keep getting closed due to accidents.

I agree that it is absolutely beautiful.  Dh is an excellent driver and very comfortable with bad conditions so I am a bit surprised.  It'll be interesting to see the footage in the morning. 

• Like 2

That icy subsurface with snow on top sucks if you've got it - that was our standard winter road conditions in Juneau my first winter there and it was like ice skating. Even with good tires you had to drive slow and stop gradually and a lot of people just didn't bother with either and then got into accidents that made it way more dangerous for everyone else who wasn't a moron driver without good tires. It was like driving on little ball bearings!

It's snowing hard? Been pretty dry up here this week, though we have maybe six inches supposed to accumulate by Saturday night that's no big deal.

If you're getting slammed with feet of the white stuff I hope you're safely off the roads :(

You would die laughing at us. :D  It's been a bit of dry, powdery snow that's been blowing sideways with high winds.

The problem is that the little bit compacted on the roads and then the temperatures dropped. Areas were between about 24 - 28 degrees, which I know is balmy for you. Not so much for Oregonians.

We are a state of transplants, so no one know how to drive in rain, snow, or whatever. Zipper merging is also a lost art. One of the main arterials out of town has a nice hill with lower temps and a few curves. We always screw that area up and people abandon their cars.

• Like 1

We have a lot of military in my area and get a fair bit of that driving, especially from the poor folks from Georgia or Florida who come up and don't realize their mid range, slightly worn all weathers aren't going to cut it. They usually take the first snow or three way too fast and don't correct as smoothly as they should. The danger is real even if the roads aren't that bad - all it takes is a few people. My husband missed my son's dance observation class Monday evening due to mostly dry roads with a slight sheen of ice on them in a few spots, because there were a handful of accidents that caused everyone else to have to hit their brakes and go bumper to bumper.

It doesn't matter that my husband is a phenomenal driver who has spent his entire life in nasty, snowy, icy states at varying elevations - if other people are flying off the road they risk taking him out too! We have both hung out at restaurants for a few hours when traffic has gotten bad enough because it's spending two hours on the road (for a drive that usually takes 45 minutes) and all the stress that goes with it, or relaxing with a book and a sandwich and going when things are calmer.

The struggle is real!

That icy subsurface with snow on top sucks if you've got it - that was our standard winter road conditions in Juneau my first winter there and it was like ice skating. Even with good tires you had to drive slow and stop gradually and a lot of people just didn't bother with either and then got into accidents that made it way more dangerous for everyone else who wasn't a moron driver without good tires. It was like driving on little ball bearings!

that's what we get here.  one year, by the time the plow made it to our street - it was solid ice and wasn't going anywhere.

You think Oregon is bad. :) A little rain on the roads and everyone is freaking here...we don't see snow at all unless we climb in elevation. Bad weather is ...a rainstorm.

I remember southern california getting snow and making national news, complete with video.

You think Oregon is bad. :) A little rain on the roads and everyone is freaking here...we don't see snow at all unless we climb in elevation. Bad weather is ...a rainstorm.

And OMG, the accidents.

I just drove in a snowstorm here in Canada last week - in town, not on the highway. No biggie.

I refused to leave my house if it rained in San Diego. I'd cancel everything, because Californians cannot drive in the rain.

• Like 2

Sorry your husband didn't make it home tonight.  DH got sent home early today when it started snowing.  He was informed tomorrow he can work from home.  We have about 3 inches of snow now, but the wetness from the rest of the week is causing ice and people around here aren't good at driving in these conditions.  I am going to have to reschedule appointments for the kids for tomorrow.

And OMG, the accidents.

I just drove in a snowstorm here in Canada last week - in town, not on the highway. No biggie.

I refused to leave my house if it rained in San Diego. I'd cancel everything, because Californians cannot drive in the rain.

My mom used to do that - sorry sweetie we aren't driving to piano, because it's raining and this is California :lol:

We are up the Gorge. We had over 18 inches by Tuesday. Already have 8 more on the ground with no sign of it letting up. We just hunker down with the pets and have soup for dinner :)

Three of our school districts don't even close. They just ask kids to come to school with snow stuff for outdoor recess. It is a totally different world!

• Like 3

Ugh, It was bad timing for me.  I have 3 appointments between Wed and Thurs.  2 were medical that were rescheduled from last weeks snow/ice.  I doubt I will get in before the end of the year now (already hit my max oop for my insurance in 2016). The other was my physical for my health insurance. Now I will get penalized for turning it in late.  

I like the snow, but am frustrated that so many offices are closed.  

Tap, I'm so sorry. I had one reschedule from last week's snow, but it's not until next week. I am keeping my fingers crossed as we've met our deductible too.  Hopefully they can put you on the cancellation list if you have some flexibility.

• Like 2

The boys would love some snow up here in the Seattle area.

But we are doing the normal Seattle dance- if it's cold enough for snow, there's no precipitation. If there's precipitation it's north of 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

points south of auburn had enough snow to delay school.  I'm not telling dudeling - he was upset on friday, there was snow, but no one to play with.  (2ds went to my dd's house, and stayed overnight.)  I was out and about this morning - and there are tiny snowflakes.  not much - but they're there.  they won't stick.  

I don't know the particulars of the current storms... but your tittle reminds me of "The Year Greg Nickels Stole Christmas" and the 2008 storm. No christmas tree, minimal gifts. DW and friends spent a week walking into work at the UW hospital and Harborview w/ no plowed roads or bus service. Good old boys in 4WD trucks shuttling people to and fro... city officials on vacation in Hawaii...

• Like 2

I don't know the particulars of the current storms... but your tittle reminds me of "The Year Greg Nickels Stole Christmas" and the 2008 storm. No christmas tree, minimal gifts. DW and friends spent a week walking into work at the UW hospital and Harborview w/ no plowed roads or bus service. Good old boys in 4WD trucks shuttling people to and fro... city officials on vacation in Hawaii...

he got voted out.

That's getting to unpleasantly snowy, I hope your area has plenty of places to push it!

I did plan to go out yesterday, but decided to wait until the snow stopped and roads cleared some. The snow just kept coming though!

Thankfully, our city is good about keeping the roads clear. We have a bus transit system people rely on, and being a tourist and ski town, it's important to keep those industries running smoothly as much as possible.

• Like 1

you must be near portland.  seattle and environs are crystal clear.

but I know what you mean.  one year, dh was working in tacoma.  blue sky and sunshine.  listening to the radio of keystone cops of spin outs, traffic jams (some people didn't get home until after midnight - if they got home at all), and snow snow and more snow.   he was in federal way - (halfway to seattle) before he saw the first flake.   he bailed on the freeway and did surface streets.  2 1/2 hours was a record.  most people were far slower.

I can picture that! DH and I used to live in Tacoma. NO ONE up there seemed to know how to drive when it was other than dry conditions, which is weird considering it's mostly wet most of the time! They all seemed to think it was time to speed up and drive faster!

I can picture that! DH and I used to live in Tacoma. NO ONE up there seemed to know how to drive when it was other than dry conditions, which is weird considering it's mostly wet most of the time! They all seemed to think it was time to speed up and drive faster!

it  was a particularly  nasty storm.  the snow was wet so it is very slick - then it froze.  which was worse.  seems like we ended up losing power for four days. property up the street would have trees come down and take out power lines.

We're dry up here in Northern BC but it's COLD. Dh is just arriving back from a road trip down to WA. He spun around a few time at one nasty spot on the way down and hit the ditch but thankfully no one was hurt and somehow they managed to drive out without even hurting the car. I'm glad that he's almost home. 30 more minutes!

• Like 1

20 inches?? Holy cow!

Yes! A record snowfall in December. I've got the chains on my van running errands. I needed to get to the bank and wanted to get my haircut too, because no lines. Lol. I couldn't find a place on my end of town that was open today though. :P

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

20 inches?? Holy cow!

during the 2008 storm - we ended up with 24" over the course of several snowfalls.  there was a 1/4" thick layer of ice somewhere in that too.  dh had to drive to the airport to get 2dd.  her plane was supposed to land at 10:30 pm on a sat.  it was snowing 20+ miles with several inches  of snow ON THE FREEWAY with chains (he's very experienced driving in snow) - because it hadn't been plowed.  he thought he'd only use them to get up our hill.  I was watching the traffic cams all the way as he kept wanting status updates - the plows weren't even out when he left.  a scant handful of cars the whole way.

that year she was coming through detroit and was supposed to go on to minneapolis.  minneapolis was closed.  "I don't have to go to minneapolis - is there are flight to seattle?"  she got the last seat and was home earlier than she would have been otherwise.

the last time i saw this much snow on the ground in this area was 1968. the plows pushed it into the middle of our street - we kids had a blast with the piles of snow.

• Like 1

I'm still snowed in. Not able to use our rollercoaster style street.

Gardenmom- I had a baby in the middle of the 2008 storm. It was my fastest delivery at 42 min. I almost didn't make it to the hospital and spent the entire ride shouting at dh as he drove through the drifts on the 205 and over broken chains. I was almost THAT lady on the news who had the baby on the side of the freeway in her car. Fortunately, I made it in just in time. Ds keeps asking if this storm is like the one he was born in. ðŸ˜

• Like 4

I'm still snowed in. Not able to use our rollercoaster style street.

Gardenmom- I had a baby in the middle of the 2008 storm. It was my fastest delivery at 42 min. I almost didn't make it to the hospital and spent the entire ride shouting at dh as he drove through the drifts on the 205 and over broken chains. I was almost THAT lady on the news who had the baby on the side of the freeway in her car. Fortunately, I made it in just in time. Ds keeps asking if this storm is like the one he was born in. ðŸ˜

back in the early 90s, my sil ended up delivering her baby a week early - at home.  a week later, it was a huge snow mess and she lives on a more rural hill.

Grew up in FL.  That should explain everything. ;)

Last week someone died in a car accident less than a mile from our house because of the ice.  Flat road and no curve, but she fish tailed into the opposite lane (from what I understand).   I've been a basket case since then.   So, I've made the kids stay home.  We don't have snow tires, and I have no clue how to put chains on.  DH knows all of this but he is out of town.

18yo works at night.  Tonight I made her call me as soon as she arrived.  I'll be so glad when the temps warm up and we are back to good old rain.

My mom used to do that - sorry sweetie we aren't driving to piano, because it's raining and this is California :lol:

So true! Of course, I'd rather drive in the rain than the with the sun in my eyes. But today, it rained sideways and there was a wind advisory. Instead of snow, we have mud, lots of mud.  ;)

But I have to say I am truly thankful that I don't have to maneuver a vehicle around on icy roads anymore.