Menu

Sending package overseas -- kind of ridiculous!

J-rap

I've probably mailed at least 100 packages overseas in my lifetime.  Yesterday I went to the post office to mail a Christmas package to my dd who is living abroad, and had an experience I've never had before.

After I filled out the Customs form, they then asked me for individual weights of each item in the box.  This was just a small, shoebox size box of typical gifts, and never have I been asked this before!  So because it was the end of the day and no one else was there, all the employees came out to help me guess what a pair of pajamas would weigh, what a Christmas ornament would weigh, what a pair of earrings would weigh, etc....  And then of course it had to equal the weight of the whole package minus the box itself.  The whole process took about 30 minutes.

When I told them that this was the first time in my entire life I've had to do that, they said that they've always had to do that, but usually they just make a guess and fill it all out themselves.

Has anyone every run into this, anywhere?  It just seemed so ridiculous to me since I've never, ever been asked to do that before, and I can't imagine them doing that if they had a long line of people.

• Like 1

Never. Omg. I would use a different PO next time. Hopefully one with a long line.

Also, it's rather invasive isn't it? So sorry you had to deal.

I usually summarize "cosmetics, gifts" and they tell you the total weight, i put down only estimated $

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Yes, there is a space for it, but I've always left it blank and no one ever asked for it before.  I always just generalize what's in the box (often I can't even remember everything little thing that's in it by the time I'm sending it), and estimate a dollar value.  It's never been a problem before!

• Like 2

never ever heard of that.  sent packages to my dd in south america.  she was there for 16 months.

and just a simple __ for what was in the box, if I listed anything at all.

for one country - people would list "goody" because it didn't translate, so thieves would leave it alone.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

They don't care about invasive.  They already require you to list what is in there, and they require you tell them the cost/value. 

I never listed what was in it other than a rough (very rough) description.  never incl. a value of the item.

• Like 1

I don't know. Nobody is as annoying as the US about this stuff. LOL

You have not met France. My sister lives there, and while the people are lovely, the stereotype of "annoying Frenchman with stick up keister" is derived specifically from the French postal service. I swear they take a class in this, "How to make the world hate the French because we cannot simply deliver a letter without snarkiness and drama 101, MWF 1:00-1:55 pm 3 credit hours".

• Like 4

You have not met France. My sister lives there, and while the people are lovely, the stereotype of "annoying Frenchman with stick up keister" is derived specifically from the French postal service. I swear they take a class in this, "How to make the world hate the French because we cannot simply deliver a letter without snarkiness and drama 101, MWF 1:00-1:55 pm 3 credit hours".

:lol:

Or Egypt. Dear Docs w/o Borders friend went to the PO in August to mail 45 letters back to the States. They charged him over $75.00 US for the stamps, watched him lick all those stamps and afix to the envelopes, and then when he brought them back to the counter, informed him that due to a kerfuffle between Cairo and Washington (Kerfuffles of one kind or another being rather normal between these two), Egypt got mad and decides to suspend postal services for mail addressed to or coming from the U.S.

And of course, "The stamps cannot be returned. You have already used them."

Grrrrr...

I figure when we start snowboarding to Europe, since puddle jumper flights to Lebanon are dirt cheap and the postal service more reliable, I will trip over there to mail Christmas cards even if the kerfuffle has ended.

• Like 3

We have a Receiver/Forwarder in Miami who Consolidates things we buy and have sent to them, into one carton and then sends the carton to our house in Colombia.. They are VERY interested in what each item is and in what we paid, including shipping to them in Miami. As far as I know, they have ZERO interest in what each individual item weighs.  When they have everything properly protected and inside the carton, then they weigh the carton and they measure the carton. They are interested in the Net Weight and the Volume Weight of the carton, and  they use whichever weight is greater, because they charge us by the pound. Colombian Customs is interested in the TOTAL VALUE (CIF which is Cost Including Freight into Miami) and here in Colombia some items (Laptops, Books, etc.) come in tax free.  What you ran into does seem to be ridiculous.  I cannot imagine why they waste their time and the customers time doing that. Probably there is a valid reason for them doing that and if they shared that reason with their customers, it would seem more logical to their customers.  

ETA: What I described above obviously does not involve USPS or other national postal systems. Our cartons from Miami are shipped via Air Freight (with cartons for a lot of other customers)  to Bogota and then overnight truck to Cali, after clearing Customs in Bogota.   3 days ago, we sent papers for 2 EOC exams back to TTUISD in Lubbock via FedEx.  The man inspected, to confirm that it was only paper (documents) and then he stuffed everything into the FedEx envelope and weighed it.

My guess is this has something to do with USPS Regulations or with International Postal regulations, but I can't imagine why they do that.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Yup, it's always been like that.  I've just always guessed the weight so that it adds up to the total.  It's definitely not new.  My in-laws moved to Ireland in 2002 and the weight of each item was required on the customs form back then.  I'm a rule follower and form completely filled out-er so I don't know if the postal workers would have required me to do it or not.  I just did before I got to the counter because the space was on the form.  (Now, we just order from Amazon UK - shipping across the ocean has gotten so ridiculously expensive it makes more sense.)

• Like 2

I asked them if it was a new regulation, and they made it sound like it wasn't -- that they usually just fill out the weight part themselves (by guessing for everything).  I've sent my dd several other packages in the past two years to the same address and this hasn't happened before.  So maybe it was someone being very overly thorough.  But then you'd think one of the other employees would have told her it wasn't necessary!

• Like 1

I asked them if it was a new regulation, and they made it sound like it wasn't -- that they usually just fill out the weight part themselves (by guessing for everything).  I've sent my dd several other packages in the past two years to the same address and this hasn't happened before.  So maybe it was someone being very overly thorough.  But then you'd think one of the other employees would have told her it wasn't necessary!

No it's just the individual person you got.  I'm sure he is well within reasonable to make you do it, but most of them don't do that. 

I avoid the guy I came across who did that.  It was so silly too because really I have no idea what anything in there weighed.  Why would I?! 

• Like 1

No it's just the individual person you got.  I'm sure he is well within reasonable to make you do it, but most of them don't do that. 

I avoid the guy I came across who did that.  It was so silly too because really I have no idea what anything in there weighed.  Why would I?! 

The post office I love about 16 miles from here is worth the trip because they do so much more "non standard" mail that the employees kind of know everything. So if I send a package to Sis, I fill out what it is and they've got so much experience that in a matter of seconds, they've filled in everything else weights too if they need it. Very, very well informed, very good at their jobs, seen it all. I adore them!

I suspect that in other post offices where the employees know the estimated weights of a lot of common items, they figure it is faster to fill it in themselves after you leave than have you trying to figure it out and asking a lot of questions. It is probable that with newer employees, they don't know all of this off the top of their heads and expect the customer to participate in figuring it out.

Since my local P.O. is the "punishment" P.O. - ie employees that USPS can't fire but who are really poor at their job get sent to this locale to work because the amount of mail processed is very limited - I do not use it for ANYTHING. Not exaggerating. You have no idea the mindboggling amount of mistakes made there, and half the time when the office is supposed to be open it isn't because employees simply opted not to come to work that day. Our community has been begging for it to be closed for years and our mail run through rural carrier from a better post office. It will be two more years before it closes because of the 10 year leases USPS signed for the building. GRRRRRR

• Like 2

The post office I love about 16 miles from here is worth the trip because they do so much more "non standard" mail that the employees kind of know everything. So if I send a package to Sis, I fill out what it is and they've got so much experience that in a matter of seconds, they've filled in everything else weights too if they need it. Very, very well informed, very good at their jobs, seen it all. I adore them!

I suspect that in other post offices where the employees know the estimated weights of a lot of common items, they figure it is faster to fill it in themselves after you leave than have you trying to figure it out and asking a lot of questions. It is probable that with newer employees, they don't know all of this off the top of their heads and expect the customer to participate in figuring it out.

Since my local P.O. is the "punishment" P.O. - ie employees that USPS can't fire but who are really poor at their job get sent to this locale to work because the amount of mail processed is very limited - I do not use it for ANYTHING. Not exaggerating. You have no idea the mindboggling amount of mistakes made there, and half the time when the office is supposed to be open it isn't because employees simply opted not to come to work that day. Our community has been begging for it to be closed for years and our mail run through rural carrier from a better post office. It will be two more years before it closes because of the 10 year leases USPS signed for the building. GRRRRRR

That sounds awful!  I'm surprised they can get away with all of that.

We had to do that for many years. We just guess for the small items. Then take the total weight and subtract all small items to lump the remainder under the heaviest item.

Once we mailed back a watch, two men's wallet, a ladies wallet, a belt as gifts for in-laws. We just used the small postal weighing machine for each item as no one was using. My post offices have a few weighing machines and the SAMs.

I have to decribe the content of orders sometimes.

If I will not, they will open the package.

It is about how much custom charges they can bring in account.

My parents sent me my letters in bulk and they get opened by customs at San Francisco. They are letters from my govt regarding national health insurance and govt. education funds so it is boring stuff to customs. When we sent parcels back home, some get opened by customs at Changi. For sending gifts home, if total is under US$333 then the gifts aren't taxed. If it is over the amount, the receiver have to go to the international sorting centre to pay the tax and collect the parcel.

• Like 2

If I have to pay tax, I can ask for Paypal invoice and pay it online.

After paying the tax, the parcel will be let through and delivered.

My home country is very small (2hrs from west end to east end) so the seniors rather take a train (subway) ride then pay online.

My friends would pay online and the tax is 9% (whatever is the prevailing rate for goods and services tax) for general goods. Cigarettes and alcohol have a higher tax.

Books don't have a higher customs to pay though, it is lump with general goods. My home country eyes more the ladies handbags (Prada, Gucci, LV, Hermes) coming through for customs duties. Those are good revenue for customs.

• Like 1

This is about a Letter.    I am watching the Tracking for a 9 x 12 manila envelope I sent to PA, 23 days ago, from our local post office. It contains four (4) Letter size sheets of paper and cost approximately USD $3.33 to send.  I sent it on the 16th of November.  2 days later, i think it was in Bogota.  5 days after that, it shows that it was processed through the SAL (Surface Air Lift) center, which may be under the control of the USPS, because it is shown under "Destination Country".  7 days after that, it shows that it was processed through the ISC of USPS (I think that is the U.S. Customs check) in Miami.  5 1/2 days later, it arrived in USPS in Opa Locka FL and was on it's way the next day.  . Arrived in Lehigh Valley PA  Arrived in and then Departed from Scranton PA.  That was 3 days ago. The destination is approximately 25 minutes from Scranton PA, but in another city.  I hope the USPS will deliver it next week!

In October, I mailed my Absentee Ballot to TX, via the same method, and I believe they received it in 20 days.  

• Like 1

LOL, my mom has never had t to do that to mail us stuff.  

She did once get into an argument with a PO employee as to whether or not "the country with the alps in it" was Swaziland or Switzerland.  Apparently since the first country to pop up after typing SW was Swaziland, the guy couldn't comprehend that there might actually be other countries whose names start with SW.  Sigh.

• Like 2

She did once get into an argument with a PO employee as to whether or not "the country with the alps in it" was Swaziland or Switzerland.  Apparently since the first country to pop up after typing SW was Swaziland, the guy couldn't comprehend that there might actually be other countries whose names start with SW.  Sigh.

WOW!  :banghead:

• Like 1

We normally have excellent luck with FedEx envelopes going to our house in Colombia, from the USA. But about 6 or 8 years ago, the lady in our bank in the states hand addressed the FedEx paperwork. The first FedEx person to handle that envelope coded it "CG" in error. It should have been coded "CO" for Colombia.  I watched the FedEx Tracking, for several days, as the envelope went to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (which is not Democratic) in Africa. Then back to Memphis, then several times round trip between Memphis and the FedEx Hub in Paris.  It finally did get to Bogota and then they sent it to our house in Cali, but by then our bank had cancelled that Debit Card and ordered another one for us.

• Like 1

Suggestion to anyone sending  Xmas presents to someone overseas. If you want them to arrive before Xmas, probably best to bite the bullet and send them via FedEx or DHL.  They can get things through Customs in the Destination country much faster than the postal service   can or will.  Or, send the packages from the Post Office now and hope they will arrive during January.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 2

Suggestion to anyone sending  Xmas presents to someone overseas. If you want them to arrive before Xmas, probably best to bite the bullet and send them via FedEx or DHL.  They can get things through Customs in the Destination country much faster than the postal service   can or will.  Or, send the packages from the Post Office now and hope they will arrive during January.  

Yes, apparently I missed the deadline for what they could guarantee (by just one day) when I mailed it yesterday!

• Like 1