Menu

Chapstick in laundry. Save DD's clothes.

Tiramisu

We use non-flammable brake cleaner in a spray can to get grease and oil stains out - just spray it on then toss it in the washing machine. It works, but it stinks, so you might want to wash them again after using the cleaner before drying. The scent doesn't seem to linger after drying, but I've only ever used it on one or two pieces in a load, not the whole load.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

Can you try blue Dawn dish detergent? You'll probably have to treat each stain individually, but it's a pretty powerful degreaser. I don't know of any way you could degrease the entire load at once though. Whatever could do that would probably be pretty hard on the clothes :(

Good luck!

I tried this before on one piece of clothing and the rinsing to get all he Dawn out was laborious. I wouldn't want to do it for the whole load.

It's a good idea but I'm lazy,

It might be worth a try.  I think it was the hot water that made it work for me.  First I tried cool, because most of the clothes were supposed to only be washed in cool water, but it didn't touch it.  The hot water may have melted some of the substrate material away, assisted by the spray and wash.  I could see that it had helped a lot, so I repeated it, and it all came out of everything, except for one pair of pale blue denim shorts that still showed a faint reddish stain outline after the second try.

• Like 1

Based on having this happen with another product, the best thing to do is to call Chapstick's customer service and ask them. Then follow those instructions. It may well be arduous, but at least you will know what the results will be.

Good thought. I might try calling tomorrow.

We use non-flammable brake cleaner in a spray can to get grease and oil stains out - just spray it on then toss it in the washing machine. It works, but it stinks, so you might want to wash them again after using the cleaner before drying. The scent doesn't seem to linger after drying, but I've only ever used it on one or two pieces in a load, not the whole load.

Is there a name for this stuff?

I tried this before on one piece of clothing and the rinsing to get all he Dawn out was laborious. I wouldn't want to do it for the whole load.

It's a good idea but I'm lazy,

Were you hand rinsing? I don't ever hand rinse when I do it. I treat all the pieces that need treating (covering each grease spot individually), let them sit overnight, throw them all into the washer without any additional detergent, and run them through a regular cycle. Works every time. 

You could also maybe try hand scrubbing (quickly, like just rubbing them around together a bit to make sure they're all well soaked) a bunch of items at a time in a bucket full of hot water and LOTS of Dawn, letting them soak for a few hours, and then pouring out the excess water and dropping it all into your washer. Might that work? 

Although...I do have a top loader. Maybe this is all different if you have a front loader?

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Is there a name for this stuff?

Chlorinated solvent of some kind.  Similar to dry cleaning solvent, perchloro whatever, "perc".  "Brakeleen" is the most common brand name, but it's all the same chemical if it's non flammable. 

If you need to know how to find it, any auto parts store, Menards, HD, farm store etc. will have it in the auto chemicals aisle. Aerosol can 11 oz or so for $2-4.  The flammable stuff is better for the environment, but might melt some of the clothes or burn your house down.  

• Like 1

Were you hand rinsing? I don't ever hand rinse when I do it. I treat all the pieces that need treating (covering each grease spot individually), let them sit overnight, throw them all into the washer without any additional detergent, and run them through a regular cycle. Works every time.

You could also maybe try hand scrubbing (quickly, like just rubbing them around together a bit to make sure they're all well soaked) a bunch of items at a time in a bucket full of hot water and LOTS of Dawn, letting them soak for a few hours, and then pouring out the excess water and dropping it all into your washer. Might that work?

Although...I do have a top loader. Maybe this is all different if you have a front loader?

I have a front loader. I thought if I don't rinse it out bubbles will fill my house like a cartoon. ðŸ›

Chlorinated solvent of some kind. Similar to dry cleaning solvent, perchloro whatever, "perc". "Brakeleen" is the most common brand name, but it's all the same chemical if it's non flammable.

If you need to know how to find it, any auto parts store, Menards, HD, farm store etc. will have it in the auto chemicals aisle. Aerosol can 11 oz or so for $2-4. The flammable stuff is better for the environment, but might melt some of the clothes or burn your house down.

Thanks for the tip. I would like to keep my house intact and not burn my hair off. 🙂

A good dish soap like dawn or Palmolive on every spot. This happened once to a load of Dh's dress clothes and the dish soap worked like a charm. I have used it a couple of times since and it always works.

Did you rinse first, before putting it in the washer?

Edited by Tiramisu

soak them in hot water and laundry detergent for a few hours (my machine as a soak setting that I use) and then wash in hot water. I think that the heat will melt away the chapstick remnants. This worked before for lipstick for me, so I think that it might work for you for chapstick.

Lestoil might work really well. It's stinky, but then you can wash the clothes in regular detergent later.

If you use gasoline, you air things out outside before putting them in the washer or dryer. DH's family used to do this all the time due to working with greasy equipment. It evaporates. I don't know how long it takes for it to evaporate if time is short with the situation.

Don't put anything in the dryer until you know if the stain is out or not. Air drying is fine.

Spray and wash followed by a hot water wash got lipstick out of my clothes in similar circumstances. It took two tries.

This will work....it may take two washes, but it should come out. Dh has a bad habit of leaving Chapstick in his pockets. I cannot tell you how many times I've re-washed Chapstick stained clothes in the last 20 years. ðŸ˜

• Like 1

My husband is a chapstick addict and leaves them in his pockets sometimes.  Goo Gone is made for getting rid of exactly that kind of thing and others :

https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Original-Liquid-Adhesive/dp/B00006IBNJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480303378&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=goo+gone&psc=1

The only down side is the heavy orange smell.  The shirt has to be rewashed 2 or 3 times to get rid of the smell.

Chlorinated solvent of some kind. Similar to dry cleaning solvent, perchloro whatever, "perc". "Brakeleen" is the most common brand name, but it's all the same chemical if it's non flammable.

If you need to know how to find it, any auto parts store, Menards, HD, farm store etc. will have it in the auto chemicals aisle. Aerosol can 11 oz or so for $2-4. The flammable stuff is better for the environment, but might melt some of the clothes or burn your house down.

This is exactly how we (my dad) discovered to use Brakeleen. He was using it one day and thought "this smells just like dry cleaning fluid", so tried it on some of his greasy coveralls to see what would happen. Obviously it worked, because brake cleaner now sits on the shelf in the laundry room at all times. :)

Stain stick, applied to the grease stains and then clothes thrown in the wash, take care of them. I do this all the time because I forget to check pockets.

DD now has grease stains all over a load of her most often worn clothes. I told her to leave them with me when she retired to college, so I could try to save them.

I googled solutions and they are very labor intensive. I need something easy. Help!

This is exactly how we (my dad) discovered to use Brakeleen. He was using it one day and thought "this smells just like dry cleaning fluid", so tried it on some of his greasy coveralls to see what would happen. Obviously it worked, because brake cleaner now sits on the shelf in the laundry room at all times. :)

Just to be sure I was clear, the clorinated stuff is non flammable.  That's why it's used in drycleaning.  The non chlorinated stuff is a hot solvent similar to gasoline, but a little "cleaner", very flammable.  

• Like 2