Menu

Instant Pot is on sale again! $68 today only (7 in1)

ktgrok

I did the steam test this morning. Later I made hard boiled eggs. Boy, did they peel easily. Tasted good too. 

Tonight I made chicken pot pie (but really dumplings, as DH and this blogger both said). It was good. I had hoped for more leftovers, but we just kept getting more helpings. 

This is very good. :)

What method did you follow?  I've seen a few different recipes with different times - 5 minutes, 8 minutes...  I just did my test run and am ready to do eggs!

• Like 1

I love hearing all the successful first meals everyone's making! I didn't get to make my yogurt last night but will tonight. We ended up getting takeout (I had to work), so tonight it's brown rice risotto with shrimp, mushrooms, and peas. I had to wing it, because I underestimated the amount of arborio I had, so fingers are crossed!

• Like 2

What method did you follow?  I've seen a few different recipes with different times - 5 minutes, 8 minutes...  I just did my test run and am ready to do eggs!

Steam for 6 minutes worked here.

I put 1 cup of hot water in the pot, then 7 eggs on the rack (they might have touched, I wasn't worried), then chose STEAM and set it for 6 minutes. I can't recall how long it took to get to pressure, but it wasn't too long and when the cooking time was over, I didn't purposely let them sit in the IP, but I did take my time getting my bowl of ice water ready. 

I don't leave them in the ice bath for long (no matter what method I use). The shells came off beautifully. No green/gray rings around the yolks. I thought they tasted better than my previous method, but ds thought they were neither better nor worse.

DH might want to try soft boiled eggs some time, but I'm a HBE girl. 

I am open to suggestions for doing 1 dozen and more. I have read about steamer inserts and baskets (see earlier post about my IP's very own Amazon wish list, lol). I will tackle more later, but I know I will want to make a much bigger batch of HBEs.

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

OK, here are a couple of last general tips. 

1) When you dismantle and wash the valve, the little rubber gasket, the shield, etc., MAKE SURE your sink strainer is in or the the sink is otherwise blocked, because you WILL drop those tiny things in in spite of all your best intentions.

2) Do not put the IP on your stovetop (unless maybe you have an induction range). Don't store it there, don't cook with it there. You would not believe the number of posts on that FB group with people lamenting their melted electronics component because someone turned on a burner or didn't realize a burner was still hot or a burner got bumped and accidentally started or...

3) Train yourself, your spouses, and your kids to LOOK INTO the IP to make sure the inner pot is actually in there. Again, you wouldn't believe the number of posts on the FB group lamenting about ingredients (rice, liquids, etc.) poured directly into the unlined pot. Things like rice will probably shake out fairly easily, but the whole underside of the pot is electrical components (guess how I know!), and you don't want to soak them. Some people put the cord inside the pot to trigger a look into the pot before using, some people put the lid upside down, some people store the accessories in there, etc. Train the family!

4) If your pot seems to be steaming and sputtering but not pressurizing and sealing, try pressing down firmly on the top. The sealing rings do stretch out a bit over time, making the seal a bit loose. I've had my IP for about 6 months now and it just started happening to me occasionally. You can also toss the rings into the freezer and they'll shrink up a bit.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll add more if I think of them. 

• Like 8

Steam for 6 minutes

I put in 1 cup of hot water, the rack, 7 eggs (they might have touched, I wasn't worried), then used STEAM and set it for 6 minutes. I can't recall how long it took to get to pressure, but it wasn't too long and when the cooking time was over, I didn't let them sit in the IP, but I took my time getting my bowl of ice water ready. 

I don't leave them in the ice bath for long (no matter what method). The shells came off beautifully. No green/gray rings. DH might want to try soft boiled eggs some time, but I'm a HBE girl. 

I am open to suggestions for doing 1 dozen and more. I have read about steamer inserts and baskets (see earlier post about my IP's very own Amazon wish list, lol). I will tackle more later, but I know I will want to make a much bigger batch of HBEs.

You can totally stack them. They'll still cook.

• Like 2

Excellent. What's the maximum amount of eggs you've done? And what setting and time did you use? Please?

I personally have only done 6 or 7, but people post pictures of all their eggs all the time, and they make lots. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/permalink/1207135476047105/

When I make them, I do the 6-6-6 method (manual, high pressure--I rarely use the presets for anything), but from what I've read, it's important to start with a cold IP, because the long "coming to pressure" time is part of the cook time. 

And...jsut realized I don't know for sure my friend doesn't already HAVE a pressure cooker, or an instant pot!! Hope I didn't just send a gift she doesn't need! I tried messaging her, figuring forget being anonymous, I want to cancel the order if she has one, but she didn't reply. So now I still don't know, and she'll  know it was me that send it. 

Oh well. 

When you guys say, "manual, high pressure," do you mean you put it on the Normal setting or go higher? The user manual said Normal should be fine for most things, so I'm a little confused.

The Less/Normal/More settings only apply to Sauté mode. If you hit Sauté and then press the Adjust button, you'll the light change places to give you the different options. High and Low are for pressure mode. When a recipe refers to Manual, it means to hit the Manual button and make sure the light is on for High pressure instead of Low, rather than using one of the presets, like Soup or Steam. 

Can you tell me what the page number was where you saw the reference to Normal being fine for most things you'll cook? I'd like to look it up to see how it's worded. I'll be honest, I've never read the manual. When I ordered my first IP, I spent the two shipping days reading the FB group obsessively and gleaning as much direct user knowledge as I could. The IP manual and cook time suggestions are notoriously unreliable on a lot of things :glare:

Also, if you haven't already come across the terms, NR/NPR = natural pressure release (when you let the IP finish its pressure cycle and it goes into cool-down/keep-warm mode). The pressure will naturally decrease as the contents cool. They'll still be HOT, just not hot enough to create steam and pressure. Sometimes you'll see a recipe or instructions say "NR, 15 minutes" or something similar--that means let the natural release time go for the allotted time and then release the rest manually with the valve. QR/QPR = quick pressure release (when you manually open the valve and let the steam escape). It will be loud and will take a few minutes to finish, and you might want to slide it out from under your cabinetry while that happens!

And...jsut realized I don't know for sure my friend doesn't already HAVE a pressure cooker, or an instant pot!! Hope I didn't just send a gift she doesn't need! I tried messaging her, figuring forget being anonymous, I want to cancel the order if she has one, but she didn't reply. So now I still don't know, and she'll  know it was me that send it. 

Oh well. 

:grouphug: You did a nice thing for her, either way. 

• Like 1

The Less/Normal/More settings only apply to Sauté mode. If you hit Sauté and then press the Adjust button, you'll the light change places to give you the different options. High and Low are for pressure mode. When a recipe refers to Manual, it means to hit the Manual button and make sure the light is on for High pressure instead of Low, rather than using one of the presets, like Soup or Steam.

Can you tell me what the page number was where you saw the reference to Normal being fine for most things you'll cook? I'd like to look it up to see how it's worded. I'll be honest, I've never read the manual. When I ordered my first IP, I spent the two shipping days reading the FB group obsessively and gleaning as much direct user knowledge as I could. The IP manual and cook time suggestions are notoriously unreliable on a lot of things :glare:

Also, if you haven't already come across the terms, NR/NPR = natural pressure release (when you let the IP finish its pressure cycle and it goes into cool-down/keep-warm mode). The pressure will naturally decrease as the contents cool. They'll still be HOT, just not hot enough to create steam and pressure. Sometimes you'll see a recipe or instructions say "NR, 15 minutes" or something similar--that means let the natural release time go for the allotted time and then release the rest manually with the valve. QR/QPR = quick pressure release (when you manually open the valve and let the steam escape). It will be loud and will take a few minutes to finish, and you might want to slide it out from under your cabinetry while that happens!

I am tired and thought this post started with:

The loch Ness monster...

*waddles off to bed*

• Like 1

I am tired and thought this post started with:

The loch Ness monster...

*waddles off to bed*

:lol: Well, the IP can cook pretty much anything...

Is there a social group for IP on this board? 

Not that I know of. I don't normally post this much about it in general. I just happening to be busy with shopping and procrastinating a lot on my work ( :blush:) so I was indulging myself in the fun of new gadget ownership by proxy :D You could start one, maybe? Loads of us have them now, I think.

• Like 1

So, when does your IP cookbook come out? 

So...can anyone with a stovetop one and an instant pot reassure me the instant pot will be a better, more helpful device for my busy working mom friend?

My mother uses a stovetop one. It is super old. She has to stand there and watch it. I love that my food cooks without me having to pay attention to it.

• Like 3

So, when does your IP cookbook come out? 

:lol: I wish! I rely heavily on others for the cooking part. I always have--it's the secret to my cooking success here :D

So...can anyone with a stovetop one and an instant pot reassure me the instant pot will be a better, more helpful device for my busy working mom friend?

I don't have a stovetop one, but I can't see how not having to fiddle with flame levels and having all the extra safety features wouldn't be an improvement. 

I am intimidated by this pot and its user manual. There, I said it.

All of you are cooking with yours, and all I have done is take it out of the box. Sigh.

Watch some YouTube videos, they are much better than the manual.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I have posted this in 2 other places today, but when I looked at the 7 function 6 qt IP on Amazon today, I saw that it's "only" $99. This is not as good as the Prime Day/BF/CM deal, but it's better than the normal $129 price. 

Had to share!

ETA: The 5qt IP is $109.95 right now. So, bigger size, less money!

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 3