Menu

besides Netflix and Hulu....

ProudGrandma

Slingtv....we pay $25/mo for almost all the channels we watched on a regular basis on satellite.

For $45/mo total (Sling, Hulu, Netflix)...we have all the tv we could ever want at just over 1/2 what it would cost us with a cable/satellite provider for the channels we want to watch.

Edited by TeenagerMom
  • Like 2

We use Sling as well, but just fyi, its performance depends on the quality of your internet service/connection.  We were watching The Shining last night on tv and it was glitchy...it even skipped OVER the "Here's Johnny!" part.  LOL Did not contribute to any sense of suspense.  :P

We use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Slingtv, and CW app (they removed all of their shows from Hulu this year.) We also watch movies on Vidangel. You can rent for $1-2 per night plus you choose the filters you want. I love it. I was always forgetting to take my redbox movies back and on vidangel I have it set for auto return.

• Like 1

I agree with Sling and even with great internet it can be glitchy. It solves the Disney Jr, Nick Jr and CNN addiction in our household ;) We have Sling, Netflix, Hulu and CBS All Access (mostly for Big Bang Theory and Survivor for dh). We of course have Amazon Prime. We get all the shows we watched for a fraction of the price. We dropped cable this past spring and have not looked back once.

In addition to those two we also have Acorn and Amazon. We were Prime members for the shipping for years and still are mainly for that reason, so I can't say if it's worth it just for the streaming shows.

Those of you looking at Acorn, keep in mind it's not the kind of British tv that will give you Sherlock and Doctor Who. We love it, but we like a lot of the British (and Canadian) mysteries. We've even enjoyed a few from Australia. 

I didn't read all of the other thread (just skimmed it) so I don't know if anyone linked to the shows on AcornTV. If not, you can browse here. And they have a 30 day free trial, so you can always give it a try then cancel if it's not for you.

ETA: We also have the PBS app on our Roku and use it to watch some of the PBS shows that are on when we aren't able to watch. It's free, but you have to sign up online for a code from your local PBS station (at least with a Roku you do - I don't know if it's required for other streaming devices).

Edited by Lady Florida.

I use a variety. My daughter and I tend to watch shows individually on our laptops while working on other things, though there are a couple of shows we try to watch on the TV as a family with my husband. Once in a while we'll do a movie, but that usually ends up being either from our extensive dvd collection (thanks, Goodwill and library sales!) or a new one from Redbox.

Paid subscription:

Netflix---original content, shows that have completed seasons, no commercials. We have the two screen at a time plan, streaming only.

Hulu---original content, shows that are currently running on NBC or ABC (best to start soon after the season begins as episodes expire), some older shows with completed seasons. We pay extra for Hulu Plus to avoid commercials. It's limited to one screen at a time. If networks keep pulling out of Hulu, I may become less willing to pay for it, as it's primary benefit for me is as an aggregator and to avoid the commercials. I prefer Netflix's original content over Hulu's.

Acorn TV---shows from the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, mostly ones that have completed seasons, no commercials. Acorn is available either as an add-on to Prime or directly through the Acorn website. We do the website.

Amazon streaming---we have Prime, but I don't really watch shows from them at this point, no commercials. Usually when I search I find that what I want to watch isn't free with Prime anyway.

Free:

CBS website---currently running shows, the 5 most recent episodes are available free so it helps to start at the beginning of the season, has commercials

CWTV website--currently running shows, the 5 most recent episodes are available free so it helps to start at the beginning of the season, has commercials

Youtube---for Samantha Bee and John Oliver, downside is that it's choppy

I ended up making a grid to keep track of which channel has which show and which episode I've watched. The free options don't keep track of whether you've already watched an episode.

• Like 1

HBO has a standalone service now (HBO NOW) that doesn't require a cable subscription. It's $15/month so it's a little more pricey than most other options that are around $10/month, but you get access to the whole HBO catalog on demand. I've used it to watch some of the greats that I had never seen, but only heard of (Sopranos/The Wire), as well as enjoying the stuff that's airing more recently: Game of Thrones, Westworld, Last Week Tonight, The Night Of. 

There's also plenty of movies with newerish ones getting picked up all the time. I find myself opening HBO instead of Netflix most of the time if I'm looking for something new to watch. 

We had Sling TV but it was far too glitchy for us.  We now have Playstation Vue through our Roku.  It costs about $10 more than Sling but not glitchy and we get more channels.   We do also have Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix but watch Vue most of the time.  We may cancel some of the others.  

Avoid curiosity stream like the plague. We did a free trial, tried to cancel, kept getting charged, tried to get a refund, were told we would get only a partial refund, and never got a cent. Their customer service is beyond awful.

Edited by Mergath

Avoid curiosity stream like the plague. We did a free trial, tried to cancel, kept getting charged, tried to get a refund, were told we would get only a partial refund, and never got a cent. Their customer service is beyond awful.

Aaack.  We're still in the free trial!