Menu

besides just cooking a spaghetti squash, what can I do with it?

ProudGrandma

We love spaghetti squash here.  Just baked, scooped out, and mixed with butter, salt, and pepper, perhaps fresh garlic too, is great.  But I recently discovered my new favorite way.

Again, you start with cutting it in half, taking the seeds out, and baking it.  Once it is done, scoop out the squash and mix it up with a small amount of slightly undercooked pasta shapes.  I use whole wheat twists or penne or something kind of robust.  Add whatever you like, for me that is some shredded mozz cheese, cut up fresh tomatoes, fresh parsley, olive oil, red pepper flakes, fresh garlic, salt, and pepper.  I mix that all up and dump it into a casserole dish and top with parm cheese and bake until heated.  My family's one complaint about spaghetti squash is that is can be kind of slimy.  The undercooked pasta dries it out a bit and makes it into a sliceable casserole which seems to be a big winner here.

My favorite way is to halve & scoop it, plonk it in a pan with 1/2" of water, slightly undercook it so the strands are still distinct, immerse it in cold water to stop it from cooking further, then quickly remove & separate the strands (it'll look sort of translucent, like rice noodles).  Toss with olive oil and cumin, top with cilantro and toasted almonds.  Mmmmmm......

ETA just saw ski momma re slimy.  Yes, drain thoroughly before adding oil and cumin, that helps.

Edited by Pam in CT

Throw it off a high place and watch it splat.

I dunno, I have tried to like spaghetti squash, but nope. I don't. And I like most squash in general. The texture is just dumb.

:)

I stopped by this thread to suggest using it as a doorstop but watching it splat sounds like more fun!

The only way I've remotely liked it is with butter and garlic salt, but since I stopped eating butter...

Seriously, I'd throw it in the compost.  I like all other squashes, but that one is just... wrong.  I hate it the way DH hates slimy things like okra or salsa verde.

We love spaghetti squash at our house and only ever make it one way.

Bake it, hollow it out.  Then layer the spaghetti with tomato sauce, basil, oregano (whatever pizza seasonings you like), raw bacon and mozarella cheese.

As the bacon cooks it flavors the spaghetti.  Add the mozarella cheese at the end so that the bacon can crisp.  

Not sure what the calorie intake would be, but I make this a lot when we go low carb.

I stab it, and nuke it until it's easy to cut open.  Then I scoop out the seeds and nuke it some more facing down over a shallow dish of water, so it finishes cooking with steam.  I stop when it's easy to shred it into noodles with a fork, but the noodles are still a little crunchy. We like it best with the pesto from Costco, and maybe some fresh tomatoes/mushrooms/basil.  

I make this: 

http://paleomg.com/sneak-peek-recipe-from-juli-bauers-paleo-cookbook-buffalo-chicken-casserole/  Can't wait for tomorrow's dinner! Yum  :drool5:

I think spaghetti squash  work pretty well as a sub for noodles in most pasta dishes (spaghetti pie, lasagna etc.).

I was just going to post the same recipe! Definitely a family favorite here, and I have picky kids who dislike zucchini and summer squash and anything similar.

I usually make it with shredded pre-cooked chicken and hot wing sauce instead of hot sauce.