Menu

Kitchen things and Christmas gifts

lexi

Super creative topic title I know.....

Some family members have asked us what we want for Christmas. I know I want "kitchen stuff" because we have a large family and cook all the time. They are asking for specifics and I need some help from the Hive. I need recommendations for brands and products.

I want some good knives and a nice cutting board. It doesn't have to be a knife set but it can be. The knives we have now are old and were not good brands to begin with. So they don't stay sharp and I find them frustrating to use. What are your favorite knives and cutting boards??

And what about pots? I need more large pots. Favorite brands?

I think I have enough glassware and dishes. Any other kitchen things that I should consider? What are your must have kitchen supplies?

I don't know what else to ask for. Honestly I just want a nap. We've had a super stressful past few months and having them ask me every week for Christmas ideas is stressing me out. I think I'm going to ask for a museum membership and help purchasing some new patio furniture. But I know I need more kitchen stuff. But I need help with my list.

I'm no help with knives or pots. My requirements for pots - not made in China. I only use a few knives, so knife sets are of no interest to me. I use a couple of paring knives, a chef knife, and a bread knife. That is it. 

But these are a few kitchen tools that I think everyone that cooks should have

Immersion blender if you don't have one. - https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-Blender-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B00ARQVM5O/ref=zg_bs_289916_1

I'd also ask for a couple of microplane graters - the coarse one - https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-38000-Professional-Coarse-Grater/dp/B00009WE3Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1474551908&sr=1-3&keywords=microplane+grater

and the fine one https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-38004-Professional-Fine-Grater/dp/B00009WE3Z/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1474551908&sr=1-6&keywords=microplane+grater

If you do much baking, I love Williams and Sonoma's Gold Touch baking sheets, muffin pans, and loaf pans. 

• Like 1

Super creative topic title I know.....

Some family members have asked us what we want for Christmas. I know I want "kitchen stuff" because we have a large family and cook all the time. They are asking for specifics and I need some help from the Hive. I need recommendations for brands and products.

I want some good knives and a nice cutting board. It doesn't have to be a knife set but it can be. The knives we have now are old and were not good brands to begin with. So they don't stay sharp and I find them frustrating to use. What are your favorite knives and cutting boards??

And what about pots? I need more large pots. Favorite brands?

I think I have enough glassware and dishes. Any other kitchen things that I should consider? What are your must have kitchen supplies?

I don't know what else to ask for. Honestly I just want a nap. We've had a super stressful past few months and having them ask me every week for Christmas ideas is stressing me out. I think I'm going to ask for a museum membership and help purchasing some new patio furniture. But I know I need more kitchen stuff. But I need help with my list.

knives:

wusthof.  I adore my santoku.  I also love their bread knife.  a good chef's knife, and several utility type knives. 

chicago cuterly utility knives (these are my favorites.  we have wusthof, the better henckle, but I prefer the chicago 62s utility.)

chef's choice knife sharpener

cutting board - I prefer hardwood.

we used to have a heavy aluminum frying pan, (the legs died, and couldn't get replacements anymore.)  dh loved it, but the rest of us detested the frying pan he purchased to replace it. so, I found replacements for it.  the d5 saute.

pans:

all-clad d5 (drool.  oh yeah, big difference in performance.) I've bought these at marshall's (you have to look as it's sporadic) or even new off ebay.  I refuse to pay full price, but worth every penny.

omelette - nonstick (use for nothing but eggs!)

4qt. saucepan (the first time I made bechamel sauce in one.  swoon.)

saute pan.  I have a 6qt, dh insists we could have had a 5qt. 

frying pans:

I have several in other sizes of heavy calphalon. 

cast iron:

lodge enameled french oven.  performs almost as well as a le cruiset, for a fraction of the price.  I use it a lot.  (costco occasionally has theirs in that was "made in france". i refused to pay amazon prices for a costco item.)

lodge griddle.  I love it for pancakes. 

9" frying pan - ds loves cast iron for hamburgers.  (I bought it for dutch babies, but it just sucks up the butter.)

our favorite waffle iron is an old cast aluminum one.  I've inherited them from my mom, my aunt, and garage sales.  they make the best waffles.  you can't buy waffle irons like that anymore.

I plan on getting 2ds a whipped cream dispenser.  you can make your own whipped cream from the can - which he loves.  apparently, after loading the container, it will last two weeks.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80120-200DS-3-Piece-Stainless/dp/B009QKLPJA/ref=sr_1_57?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1474554019&sr=1-57&keywords=tramontina+cookware

I love this line of Tramontina.  I have had the 6 qt for years and just recently got this one https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-Gourmet-Tri-ply-Stainless-Multi-Cooker/dp/B000ZMFCAQ/ref=sr_1_60?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1474554019&sr=1-60&keywords=tramontina+cookware

You just have to be careful with the glass lid.

If you go with Chicago Cutlery or Henkle knives don't buy from walmart or other similar stores.  The quality is not as good.  Costco, Macy's, Amazon all have the better quality knives.

I really like my Revere ware for cookware. Not nonstick, but I don't like that anyway. I got a set for wedding 19 years ago and they still look good!

Do you like baking homemade pizza? A baking stone, pizza cutter and a good grater might be a good combo.

I love my electric tea kettle and use it every single day.

My baking sheets got an upgrade and I really can tell the difference. I can't remember what I got.

I love my Cuisinart Food Processor - I've had it so long the bowl is in dire need of replacment though.  May be time for a new shiny one.

I am so pleased with splurging on my Cuisinart crock pot - it can braise and steam!

My must haves in the kitchen are my Henckels Zwilling Pro 6 inch knife and paring knife.  

https://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-Henckels-Chefs/dp/B007I1PLJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474560033&sr=8-1&keywords=henckels+zwilling+pro+6+inch

very reasonable and a superior knife!

and the paring fits my hand perfectly, love the handles.

https://www.amazon.com/ZWILLING-J-Henckels-Four-Star-3-Inch/dp/B00004RFKB/ref=sr_1_1?srs=3051280011&ie=UTF8&qid=1474560089&sr=8-1&keywords=paring+knife+henckels

DD (8 yo) and I are going to start playing with this book

https://www.amazon.com/Art-French-Pastry-Jacquy-Pfeiffer-ebook/dp/B00DACZ9BK/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1474560137&sr=1-6&keywords=art+of+french+cooking

She wants to be a baker when she grows up  :hurray:  :hurray:  so I get to play kitchen with her until she changes her mind and wants to be a vet, lol.

I post a book like that because it is a whole different ball game being in the kitchen with a fun book like this to lead us through than look at our time there as drudgery.

and this book is a lifesaver on weeknights for our large family

https://www.amazon.com/Best-30-Minute-Recipe-Cooks-Illustrated/dp/0936184981/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474560468&sr=1-1&keywords=best+30+minute+recipe%2C+americas+test+kitchen

Some other fun things I love...

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Original-Peeler-Yellow/dp/B001BCFTWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474559929&sr=8-1&keywords=rikon+vegetable+peeler

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/williams-sonoma-logo-kitchen-towel-drizzle/?pkey=cdrizzle&&cdrizzle

these feel so nice to dry dishes with, and they are so pretty.

LOVE kitchen stuff.  Have fun with it.  I feel bad spending any money on kitchen things, then DH reminded me this is my craft, and my "job" and having the tools you need makes every job easier.

I've invested in some things, and still have them after 10 - 15 - even 20 years.

Figure what you'll use for years and start there.

I echo those ALL Clad pans someone mentioned up thread.  BOY those are SWEEEEEEEEEEEEt.

• Like 1

In my world, Christmas presents would not be nearly that expensive, but if that's typical price wise then:

1.  Williams Sonoma Cuisineart food processor--this one--http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-elite-die-cast-16-cup-food-processor-2014/?pkey=cfood-processors%7Cfull-size-food-processors&cm_src=SEARCH_TOPPRODUCT&cfood-processors|full-size-food-processors

2.  All Clad pots and pans, especially their Essential Pans--most useful EVER.  Get both sizes--http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-essential-pan/?pkey=e%7Call%2Bclad%2Bessential%7C150%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

3.  And also All Clad regular pots, 2 quart, 4 quart.

4.  In the stocking stuffer category, a lemon squeezer is something I use CONSTANTLY.  Ditto microplane graters.  Deceptively better than previous versions.

5.  In the luxury to have category, I love my olive wood salt pot, for Penzey's kosher flake salt, but could not justify buying one until I had a gift card.  Ridiculously overpriced, but again I love it--http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/olive-wood-salt-keeper/?cm_src=AutoSchRel

• Like 2

This is by far my favorite cutting board. I would assume there's something similar made by someone else if you don't know any Pampered Chef people. https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Cutlery/Cutting+Boards/Large+Grooved+Cutting+Board/1023 The groove holds juice if you're carving meat or a watermelon or cantaloupe. There's another that has a bunch of wells in it, but not that one. I like the nice, large, flat surface. The other side is totally flat with no groove. 

For large pots, it depends on the price range of the gift giver. You could get a nice enameled cast iron. Lodge or Le Creuset. Costco usually carries one around the holidays too that's not Le Creuset but supposedly a bit nicer than Lodge. 

You really need to go try some knives to see what you like in your hands. My best friend loves Global, but I hate the way they feel in my hands. An independent kitchen store or Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma should carry a few brands to hold. 

Immersion blender, microplane, good silicone spatulas, French whisk...

Penzey's cinnamon is THE BEST. Love it. 

If you cook a lot or for a lot of people, an 8-quart Dutch/French oven is super wonderful.  I got a Le Crueset (sp?) about 5 years ago and then got a smaller 3qt one a couple of years later and I use them all. the. time.  I use it for all the typical stuff, but also for serving salads in the summer.  Turns out cast-iron holds cold as well, and keeps the salad yummy!  

THIS thermometer:  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/super-fast-thermapen-mk4?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_keyword=Super-Fast+Thermapen+MK4&gclid=CjwKEAjwgo6_BRC32q6_5s2R-R8SJAB7hTG-FYytcAHz7wI3oEhD7HxDvYdPV2bfkU87m0C988v_0BoC2nzw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^77283580593-device^c-plaid^42886843584-sku^13282-adType^PLA

You can get cheaper ones, but you can't get faster ones, and this is important when you are testing the meat temp over a hot grill!!!  :0)  I don't know what I was thinking all those years, not using a meat thermometer...but this one has made a big difference in my cooking.

Also, I recommend you search for the previous knife threads.  There is a lot of good advice there.  I would never buy a knife set again, but spend the money on the three-four knives that I could use alll the time.  When you go out and look at Henckels, for example, (same with Wusthoff), you can THINK you are getting a wonderful knife, but really be getting their low end.  A good knife is a pleasure forever.  My good knives are all at least 25 years old, except the new parer I got just because I wanted it.  :0)  You also need a sharpening steel or whatever it is called that you use at least half the times you use your knife.  

Several years ago my ILs surprised me with another set of my flatware pattern. Even though it was about eleven years old then, it was in fantastic shape (middle range Oneida) and actually still is after eighteen years, and I still liked it (still do). But service for twelve wasn't quite enough with a family of five when most of us were home all day. I would not have thought to ask for another set, but it was very thoughtful and really useful. I'm actually about to ask for/look for a third set because we will be a family of eight soon.

My basic Revere and Farberware stainless stock pots and saucepans have held up well over eighteen years, and I'd recommend them. KitchenAid mixer if you bake a lot and don't have one already. I'm partial to cast iron for pans, Lodge brand, but not everyone likes cast iron.

Do you need new cookie sheets, cake pans, muffin tins, spatulas, spoons, etc.?

I've only had my Instant Pot a few months, but I really love it. For you, since you have a large family, I'd get the 8 quart one. The 6 is just barely big enough for us, so I may upgrade at some point.

Do you have an electric griddle or electric fry pan? New fancy crockpot with built in timer?

We just got a griddle & being able to cook 8 pancakes or grilled cheese sandwiches is AMAZING! (We used to have a non electric big griddle for the stove top, but our new gas stove has high powered front burners & the griddle was just always burning). I want an electric fry pan with tall sides for browning lots of ground beef at once.

Always can use new baking sheets.

• Like 2

I second (or third) the Henckels knives.  I just have a couple, but I love them.  I have a 8 inch chef knife, a paring knife, and a bread knife.  That really is all I need, but occasionally I wish I had another chef knife, maybe a 6 inch, and maybe another paring knife.   

If I were asking for kitchen items this year, I would ask for Fiesta Ware.

Recently my husband bought a red copper pan: https://www.amazon.com/INCH-RED-COPPER-SAUTE-STICK/dp/B01CIHVHI6

As seen on TV.  I was totally irritated with him for buying it.  I really don't need a new pan.  I love the pans I have.  But I have to say, that pan is amazing.  It is the best non stick ever.  Actually, it is beyond non-stick.  (for some reason, the fact that the pan really was amazing made me MORE irritated with my dh).  So if you fry a lot of eggs or make omelets, that would be a great gift.

What about a meal subscription service?  A friend recently told me about Home Chef.  She and her husband order a couple meals a week.  She says the food is amazing and she feels like she is suddenly really learning to cook.   They have been married 25 years, so it's not like she doesn't know how to cook, but the meals are wonderful with great instructions.  Each serving is about $10.00.  It comes in a little cooler with all the ingredients and photo instructions.  You cook it.  I have not tried it, but my friend's recommendation was over the top!!  I think it would be fun to order dinner for two once a week or maybe just twice a month, for date night.  I'm thinking of ordering it for my newlyweds (my dd and her dh).   

I haven't started thinking about Christmas yet... 

this was on a wedding gift registery.

i. want. one.!

I'll probably give one to myself, and each of my dds for christmas. . . . there are other little tidbits that go with it too.  such as this, and this

Those ladles are freaking adorable!!! I just ordered a set on Amazon. :) This thread is going to be the death of my budget for September. Y'all just couldn't wait until October could ya?!?! 

And texasmom33 that sous vide device is intriguing! Does it really work?

Oh it does! It's amazing. You will cook the most perfectly done meats of your life. And vegetables too. You can even make hollandaise sauce in it- you just put the ingredients in the bag, cook, and then blend afterwards. I'm telling you, next to the InstantPot, this is the best device I've ever purchased for the kitchen, and the only reason I give the IP an edge is because it makes things faster so I use it slightly more often. The sous vide is not about speed- it's about perfection. :) 

They've used the circulators in restaurants since the 70's, but the prices have just come down enough recently to make them plausible for people like me in the kitchen. I couldn't justify a $1200 sous vide cooker, plus they were huge. The Anova I bought was $200 and is the size of a large immersion blender to store. 

You can go to chefsteps.com or seriouseats.com and find out recipes and see videos etc. There are also lots of videos on youtube. I am a serious fan if you can't tell. I actually just bought steaks today to sous vide tomorrow night!