Menu

How long do you keep the sock whose mate has been socknapped ???

I have a little hidey-hole near where I fold laundry and toss stray socks into it. Every so often the fit takes me to empty the hole and see it I have any complete pairs yet. I always do find several matches.

Now - big 'ol guy tube socks I do toss if a mate does not show up. Fun kid or MY socks, I hang onto forever.:rolleyes:

4 weeks.

When I'm paying attention, I check unmatched socks on Saturdays. If it's the first week, it just goes into the box. If it's the second week, it gets a safety pin in the toe. Third week, another safety pin. Forth week, a third safety pin. Once I check the box and a sock has 3 safety pins in the toe, it goes in the trash.

For quite a while. Each of my children wears a different type of sock. So, each one has about 5 pair of white socks. I keep the strays so that when another sock gets a hole, I take the stray and throw away the one with a hole. Clear as mud?? LOL

I do the same thing as Jennifer. I keep the lone sock and match it with another whose mate has developed a hole. I think that it helps that I have only boys so they have either white or black socks and they are all the same type.

My kids call these one sock metilities (made up word, obviously). They keep them a very long time, and sometimes will wear unmatching socks if my eldest has been negligent in her laundry duties (but only on at home days.) They think it's funny. As for me, I buy a number of identical socks so they all match.

shoved a *single* sock into the bottom of the drawer. When we moved years later if was still there and still single or bereft of its mate.

On a happier note, I have occasionally found mates behind the laundry basket, behind the washer/dryer or under the dresser. The possible locations of a socknapped mate are endless...unfortunately.

:D

FOREVER. There are those days where 2 unmated socks work well as a pair. Like when every other sock in the house is dirty.

I keep a bag on a door knob in the utility room - we put all mis-matched socks in there. Once in a while we mate them and the left overs go back and hope for next time..

Until we move. We're military and we've been moving frequently and will continue to do so for a few years. I have a missing mates drawer in my bedroom and I just keep the solo socks there until a) I find the mate or b) we move. When it's time to move, I pitch the lonely socks and start fresh.