Menu

S/O: Lies I Told People

RegGuheert

Yeah it's more like, "I wish this didn't bother me so maybe I can convince myself that it doesn't."

And I wish I were better at this.  Really.

When stuff bothers me, it bothers me.  I can't just shrug it off or pretend it doesn't.

• Like 2

I didn't mean to lie but...

"All kids are capable and should be potty trained before second birthday"

"If you don't bring toys or snacks to church your child will understand it is not playtime. Set the standard for behavior and child will reach it. Toddlers should sit in mass with nothing but a religious book."

I was a young mom with a very compliant first child. I am mortified that I spouted that stuff. Subsequent children humbled me. Other moms must have hated me.

Me too. Not exactly those things, but I definitely thought so much more was a simple result of parenting strategies. I have often said it is so fortunate I had additional children because they certainly did humble me.

I also thought surely all my children would be early and avid readers with enormous vocabularies; how could they fail to be? I was literally that mom who put headphones on my pregnant belly to play self-recordings of Goodnight Moon to my fetuses. We read every day, multiple times a day; we owned truckloads of books and had library books and audiobooks, song CDs in English and Spanish, Kindermusik, Montessori "toys", Melissa and Doug puzzles...I actually authored a couple of books for my kids that were designed to expand their vocabulary through synonyms.

Alas! It did not work that way for every child. The brain has a mind of its own, it turns out. Gah. I remember a couple conversations from my Early Mom years. If I could time-travel, I would go bitch-slap myself.

• Like 11

Me too. Not exactly those things, but I definitely thought so much more was a simple result of parenting strategies. I have often said it is so fortunate I had additional children because they certainly did humble me.

I also thought surely all my children would be early and avid readers with enormous vocabularies; how could they fail to be? I was literally that mom who put headphones on my pregnant belly to play self-recordings of Goodnight Moon to my fetuses. We read every day, multiple times a day; we owned truckloads of books and had library books and audiobooks, song CDs in English and Spanish, Kindermusik, Montessori "toys", Melissa and Doug puzzles...I actually authored a couple of books for my kids that were designed to expand their vocabulary through synonyms.

Alas! It did not work that way for every child. The brain has a mind of its own, it turns out. Gah. I remember a couple conversations from my Early Mom years. If I could time-travel, I would go bitch-slap myself.

:lol:

No kidding!

And then in another twist of "haha" from the Universe, I was blessed with a son with Asperger's who made every traditional parenting "sure fire" method fly out the window!  

• Like 3

Listen, I think we all know that first time mothers will say anything. So will grandmas. We all tune it out.

Not when you are a first time mother yourself, surrounded by other first time mothers. Sigh. Oh well, I watched a few get their comeuppance later when they had less-than-compliant second children and had no idea how to handle them. 

Eta: A few of you are being very gracious about admitting this. My first son has Autism. No traditional parenting technique worked for him. I still get angry when I think about some of the things people said to me. But, c'est la vie, you know?

Edited by Mrs. Tharp
  • Like 1

The only calls I get are from charities, so I don't want to be super mean to the callers. I would get mad if they were commercial callers. Plus, those callers work a horrible job on commission, so I don't feel like I can add to their burden by being out and out rude.

Ah, well, charities I just tell I give elsewhere and to please take me off the list.  If it is the 3rd or 4th time AFTER I have asked to get off the list, I make sure and say, "I have asked multiple times to be removed from this list, can you please make sure I am removed?"

But if is a scam charity, like those police force calls, I tell them off.  Although once I just got mad and said, "My husband is a local police officer, are you sure you give our local police officers money?"  They normally hang up on me.

My DH is not a policeman by the way.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

You guys are really nice with your lying to calls you don't want to answer.  I just get mad and tell them off.

Those people have a horrible job for low pay, and they have no personal control over the fact that your number popped up on their list. There's no point being mad. If you don't want to be nice, just hang up quickly.

• Like 1

Those people have a horrible job for low pay, and they have no personal control over the fact that your number popped up on their list. There's no point being mad. If you don't want to be nice, just hang up quickly.

I corrected myself.  I am rude to the scammers......the ones who want to "fix" my computer, or get money for the police charity.  Oh, and sales people.....they drive me nuts.

True charities I ask to be taken off the list.  If I just hang up, they keep me on their list. 

I did telemarketing in college. Not proud to admit it but I was broke. The magic phrase is 'I'm not interested , don't call again. " Easy peasey.

After each call you can slot people into 'yes' or 'no' or 'try again later'. Saying someone else makes the decisions puts you in the try again pile . Hanging up puts you in try again. Telling me off either puts you on no or try again depending on my whim.... Not doing it to be mean , but colorful personalities do really help pass the time .

My lies:

I will always have fresh flowers on my table!

That was double income no kids speaking. I do love flowers but I love having money more.

• Like 3

What's a meat truck ??

I'm picturing it like an ice cream truck?

Guys who literally come to your door and tell you they have frozen meat in the back of their truck to sell you .

Yes, this. Door to door salesmen. Pushy ones. I had one literally walk right through the open door into the living room one day as we were moving in to our house. The moving truck was there, with four men unloading our stuff, and the meat truck guy figured it was a great opportunity to make a sale. ?? Edited by fraidycat

I corrected myself. I am rude to the scammers......the ones who want to "fix" my computer, or get money for the police charity. Oh, and sales people.....they drive me nuts.

True charities I ask to be taken off the list. If I just hang up, they keep me on their list.

Wait...hang on a sec. Are you saying it's a scam when people call from Fraternal Order of Police? Is that really a scam? Because I have given to them once in a blue moon; I even have the sticker in the sidelight of my front door.

Wait...hang on a sec. Are you saying it's a scam when people call from Fraternal Order of Police? Is that really a scam? Because I have given to them once in a blue moon; I even have the sticker in the sidelight of my front door.

I don't know which ones are scams and which aren't, but I don't trust them when they call.

I have asked them to send me information but they usually say they won't unless I pledge to give.  So I just say no.

I have also asked for their website before.  The ones who call me say they don't have one.

I HAVE given to firefighters with their boots out on the road collecting funds.

• Like 1

HA that is one of the telemarketers I worked for. For about two shifts til I quit.  Miserable environment. It's not a 100% SCAM, I don't think, I'm sure a portion of sales do go to police support group..... I didn't work there long enough to know how much.  But they were paying me $12 an hour, so, that's partly what gets paid for too. They just handed me pages from the phone book as my calling list.  (I'm sure experienced sales people had better leads).   This all happened when I was in college so maybe 20 years ago? But it is forever imprinted on my brain because I got the job after a mildly controversial police incident and one call I made got me yelled at  ("Is this a joke?" she asked me angrily) which shook me up at the time.  I heard one person schmoozing with a customer who definitely was pretending to be a lieutenant.  Said "OK, I'll have a patrol car to come by to pick up your check".  I have no idea if he had connections with a patrol car, but, I never saw any police officers anywhere near that sad little office with the nudie calendars on the wall.  

I was a telemarketer for about two months one summer while I was in college. I had to get people to apply for credit cards, and I was terrible at it. The supervisor could listen in on any call without me knowing it and then tell me afterward what I did wrong. The rule was that we had to get the customer to say no three times before we could hang up ourselves. I really appreciated the people who would quickly say, "No thank you, and don't call again," and then hang up before I could say anything in return. I could then cross them off my list. So now as a recipient, I just say no and take me off the list quickly, and then hang up.

(Actually, I don't get telemarketing calls any more, because I don't have a landline, and I don't answer cell numbers I don't recognize.)

I do still feel guilty about a lie I told twenty years ago. Someone I didn't want to talk to called me at work, and I told them I wasn't there. I don't lie, ever, so I still regret that.

Edited by Storygirl

Same. With the first kid people asked me for advice. With the second, they offered it.

My first has autism. Even so, he was my easiest child, so that's saying something. Thankfully, I had enough child care experience before having him to know that I wasn't the reason he sat quietly for books, or played for hours with toys, or sucked his thumb nonstop, or slept through the night at 6 weeks (don't hate me, my second finally slept through the night about half the time after he was 2 and a half. By then I had another sleepless 6 month old :-)). And any possible hope I had that good parenting makes for easy kids was definitely beaten out of me after my second was 24 hours old. :-) I've never stopped being grateful that I never thought I knew what I was doing. :-)