Menu

If you have 5 or more kids, how many bedrooms do you have?

mommyoffive

Does everyone who has kids share rooms, have bunk beds?

We prefer bunks for orderliness as much as space management. Like Karen, it's less necessary with big bedrooms than small. If our next baby in winter ends up being a girl we will likely end up with two bunks on the girl room, because of the 4/2 split. The two boys won't need to be bunked in even our current (soon to be past) home with the smaller bedrooms. It just depends on the number of offspring in each room and the room size. Two kids in all but a closet sized room? Bunks may not be needed if no toys are in the bedrooms.

6 kids.

4 bedroom house. 2 girls share one room, 2 girls share another room, the boy has his own. The baby is in our room for now. But we're going to have to get a quadruple bunk bed soon and she'll sleep with her sisters - haven't decided which set of sisters yet. Until the baby is ready for the bunk she will probably sleep in a crib in one of their rooms. But for now she's still with us.

I think our house is 4,700 sq feet. I feel it's a decent size. I could reall do with one more full bathroom though.....

ETA: each girl room has bunk beds. They have pull out drawers underneath for storage.

Edited by lexi

We have 5 kids, ranging in age from 2-10, and hope to add one more within the next few years. We built our house before #3 was born, and it's working really well for us so far. 

Our house is 4200 square feet. Upstairs, we have 4 bedrooms and an office. We use the office as a school room, Ds10 and Ds8 share a room (bunkbeds), Dd3 and Ds2 share, and Ds5 has a loft bed in the largest room which we use as a playroom during the day. We have 2 extra/guest bedrooms in the basement, and will likely move two of our older kids down there when they want more privacy. 

We have 6 kids 2 boys- 6 and 16, 4 girls 9,11,13,15 and 3 bedrooms 1 bathroom. 2 sets of bunk beds in the girls room, a regular bed and a loft bed in the boys room.  House is 2000 square feet.  It has worked out great for us.  All of the siblings are close, and when some are away, they just switch up the sleeping arrangement so that everyone is sharing the love. They actually miss each other at night if everyone is not in their beds! Except the 16 yo.  He doesn't complain at all about sharing a room, but if he ends up having it to himself one night because little brother is camping out in the girls room, he doesn't mind that either ;-)

We have a three bedroom 2100sq. Ft. House. I would like a bigger house, but ours is paid for, we life off DH's income only, etc. etc. It's tight and the way the floor plan is, we can't even add on another room. The 3 girls are in one bedroom and the two boys in another. The girls unfortunately use our bathroom, too. Though I am thinking about, in a year or two, making a kind of wall vanity with a nice mirror, a couple more outlets and shelves for make-up and hair stuff in the girls' room. However, that would require breaking them from the habit of using the master bathroom.

We have a very small house but it's laid out nicely enough that we can fit our 6 kids just fine. I want to say only 960 square feet with a partially finished basement. We have 4 bedrooms after adding one to the basement. Two boys share a room, two girls share one, our boy/girl twins share a nursery, and my husband and I are in the master. If we want to switch around bedrooms, we can fit 3 kids into the master, 3 boys into the current boy room, 2 kids in the nursery, and my husband and I can take over the girls' room. But, I like it how it is for now! If only we had another bathroom because 1 isn't cuttin' it anymore. ;)

Edited by NoseInABook

Does everyone who has kids share rooms, have bunk beds?

We have a mix currently. Bunks. Queen beds (one occupant in each) and twin beds.

Before we moved here, in that smaller house I mentioned, I had 2 boys in one room, 4 boys in another room, and our only girl at that time had her own room.

Not exactly. We have an IKEA half-high bed:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80253814/

And we put slats and a mattress on the floor underneath it. So, in effect, a bunk bed, but technically not.

We have this setup, too! We may make it into a triple (if new baby is a girl) by adding one of their metal loft beds *above* the kura bunks. I've seen it a few times on pinterest, and have the directions pinned somewhere...

900ish sq ft. Technically 2 bedroom, but there is a sort-of bedroom in the loft so 3. We only have 4 kids. 3 girls in one bedroom, son is in the one in the loft. Only one bathroom.

But for a number of months we had 2 of the adult kids and two grandchildren living here too. Grandson in with son (they are the same age) and granddaughter in with the girls (same age range) and the 2 adults in the storage part of the loft. It was pretty crazy, but necessary.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Ten kids, with five currently living at home, but it's been kind of a revolving door around here with adult kids moving in and out temporarily.  We have six bedrooms, but only use 3 on a regular basis.  Three boys in one room, two girls in another, the master, and the rest are guest rooms.  We spend very little time in bedrooms, so we purposely didn't make them very large.  Our house is 5,000 square feet, which is bigger than we need on a daily basis, but  our adult kids gather here with spouses and grandchildren and we often have other guests as well. I appreciate the size.  

As we think of moving to our next home, I am thinking of how many bedrooms we want or need.  When we bought our first house we had 1 baby, now we have 5 kids.   We may or may not be done.

So if you have 5 plus kids how many bedrooms do you have?

Do you wish you had more or less? 

How much square footage do you live in?  Do you wish you had more or less?  

Five kids.

3 bedrooms, but one is an office/guest room.

Four boys in two sets of bunk beds in the master suite.

Baby and me in the little room. 

D sleeps with me or in the guest room, depending on how early he gets up, if baby is fussy, etc.

For now, this is great. I really like this arrangement. Not sure what we will do when Luna is older.

1180 sqft. Exactly perfect. We have quite a lot of outdoor space, too,with plans to make it more livable. I'm very happy with it.

Current house:  4 bedrooms, 3 baths, about 3000 sqft -- including the 2 car garage, which we use as living/storage space.  2 boys share, 2 youngest girls share, oldest dd has her own room, but it doubles as the guest room.  So, when my parents show up for 3 months this fall, she'll share with her younger sisters.

Previous house:  4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths about 4500 sqft -- not including the over-sized 2 car garage (25x25), or the fully-floored attic.  Same bedroom set-up, though. The basement was mostly empty.

Before that, we spent 10 years in 1000 sq. ft, 3 BR, 1 Bathroom.  Ugh.  The kids were little, but the layout, bedrooms/closets were very awkward.  Nothing fit well (one room had 6 doors!!!)

We have 5 kids and a 5 bedroom house. We only use 4 bedrooms, though. I would like to have at least 4 bedrooms when we move, maybe 5 again. Dd13 has her own room. She would not appreciate sharing with Dd6 and Dd2 at this point. Ds11 and Ds9 share. If we have 5 bedrooms in our next house, I think they will each have their own room. So, we could get by with 3, but it wouldn't be ideal. Four is fine. Five would be nice as the boys get older. My sister has one bedroom for 6 boys. It is a decent size but not tremendously huge. It has a bunk bed, trundle bed, toddler bed, and crib in it. She is building a house right now. The finished house will also have a rack room.