Menu

Laminate flooring... Anyone.... Anyone?

KrissiK

So, we're doing it. Getting rid of the disgusting carpet in the bedroom and putting in laminate. Anyone have any recs for laminate? I went on a recon mission today and looked at Pergo and a Allen Roth at Lowes and also at Republic Flooring at another store. I didn't read great reviews for the Allen Roth, but I wasn't expecting to, since it is significantly cheaper than the Pergo.

So, anyone have any advice for me?

No advice. My laminate is 17 years old and still gets compliments. It was a cheap brand that rated better than Pergo at the time, but I don't think it still exists. No regrets with it here (it is only in our basement).

I guess if I have advice, it is look into reviews and how the laminate is constructed (thinness, hardness, how it goes together) and ignore the brand names. They may have the best deals right now, but they may not.

Ours has been amazing in the wear and tear department. I agree thicker is better, and we glue each join as we click it together so it is floating, but as a solid sheet. This helps immensely with its function and being more water resistant. We also don't get it splitting apart on us.

I have Pergo.  Put it in after a flood.  I cannot count all the ways I simply love it.  I think the best is how nice it looks all the time... even when I'm a bit of a slacker.  The lady at Lowe's recommended a different color than the original one I had chosen.  She kept saying to me "that one is kind of shiny".....   I'm so happy with the one I have.

We have Home Depot's brand of laminate.  It's help up well.  I think we paid about $2.50  a foot and got free installation.   

Eta:  I did choose to get a quality underlayment so we wouldn't have any noise.  It's in addition to the attached underlayment of the laminate.  Make certain that whatever underlayment you may use doesn't void the laminate's warranty. 

Edited by Artichoke

What about premium vinyl planks? We have laminate throughout most of the main floor but it does NOT handle water well....wet shoes/boots, spills, etc. Easy to clean though.

We still do tile in the wet areas because of this. Even really good laminate flooring isn't usually waterproof enough for our comfort, so we keep the wood to non-set living areas. Entryway, kitchen, floor of laundry room, and bathrooms are all slate tiled here.

Quality underlay is a huge factor in the 'feel' of the floor, as is board thickness.

Ours has chipped where cutlery was dropped on it - kitchen and dining room.

It is fine with normal water spills but the 'undiagnosed' leaking washing machine did some serious damage - keep several extra packs of boards for such disasters (actually we lifted the wet boards, dried them out in the sun and resused the wonky boards, as they were under the washing machine and not visible).

I still love the floor!

Edited by nd293

We put laminate in our last house and it stayed beautiful till we sold it. 11 years. We used a high end Pergo. Bought it at Lowe's. No underlayment. No damage, no scratches, no warping. I loved that floor. So easy to care for.

Our neighbors put in a less expensive version that did not hold up as well.

We didn't put it in the kitchen though. :)

• Like 1

We have laminate from Sam's Club in our main living areas. It has held up well to wear and tear. The kids have even rollerbladed from the garage to the front door a few times (sigh) and no scratches or marks. It does not do well with water, though. Standing water causes the planks to bubble up around the edges, so we are always careful to make sure to keep the area by the front door cleaned up when it's rainy.

We are currently replacing carpet with Pergo Max Premier in the bedrooms and Pergo Max Premium in our classroom. We purchased both at Lowe's. We have been pleased with them so far. The kinds we bought have nice texturing, so they look and feel very natural. They are also very easy to clean and don't streak or smudge easily. We are using the Floor Comfort underlayment. It's less expensive than the Pergo Gold but it still has great reviews, is easy to use, and seems to function well (good cushioning and sound dampening).

My parent's Pergo is probably almost 20 years old and still in really good condition. They live in a snowy state, so it's had plenty of water exposure. But my mom has lots of rugs around and is really good about wiping things up quick. She sweeps and mops it often.