Menu

Helping a Young Person Find Meaning

swimmermom3

My dd will soon turn 24. I have written over the years I have been on this board about her struggle with depression.  She continues to see her counselor and take her medications.  She is a licensed hair stylist, but works as a receptionist in a hair salon.  Dd shares an apartment with a friend a short distance from work and lives fairly frugally. We cover her health and car insurance.

Last night, I received a text from her.  She was regretting that she had not gone on to college and she felt like her mind was "withering." She had nearly run out of TED talks to listen to!  The shootings in Orlando have shaken her. She has a good friend who is transitioning and she worries about her.  But even more than that, she feels like she needs to find something to do where she really makes a difference.  She spends most of her time with friends who are in their early 30s and has a difficult time relating to people her own age.

I am not sure, but I think the fact that most of her classmates from high school have graduated from college and some are getting married plays into her reflections too. Theirs lives are expanding and changing.

I would like to help this lovely, bright girl find a new direction that is still workable within the parameters of her illness.  She has mentioned maybe working on a political campaign because she is so discouraged with both presidential options. Would this be a good place to start?  I would love to hear any ideas you all can come up with.

Edited by swimmermom3

I think volunteering would be great. Serving others usually helps get your head unstuck, or it does in my case, and reminds you of the kindness still rampant in the world, rather than the not so kind world we see distantly portrayed on media. I am not sure if a political campaign would do it for me, but if that's what she's interested in I say go for it. She will feel a part of something bigger and probably make some new friends.

First, my standard questions for young women struggling with depression: 

• Has she tried cognitive behavioral therapy? (That helps you identify errors in thinking that can lead to depression). 
  • Has she tried going off of ALL forms of hormonal birth control?  (Many women I've known, including myself and a family member, could not get over depression until we stopped all hormones that we were on for painful & heavy periods.  We found dietary answers instead).

What's your family's world view?  I found The Purpose Driven Life to be a great book when I was young and felt similar to her.  One of my agnostic friends liked it too, but another found the Christian context very off-putting.

What problems in the world would she like to fix?

Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning is short and great. He survived the concentration camps. And I think the 20's are largely about exploration, finding out what you can and want to do with your head and your hands. So she's not THAT off-track. And if she wants to go to college, do it. Many universities now realize that not all college freshmen are 18-29 years old, and recognize this in the way they structure their offerings.

Does she write at all? Writing can be cathartic and it's something that be done sporadically if need be (at least when you're writing for yourself). It doesn't have to be fiction, it could be a blog. 

Could she do a couple of college classes? Something online if she doesn't want to do the classroom? 24 is certainly not too old to start, but you know that. 

I would like to help this lovely, bright girl find a new direction that is still workable within the parameters of her illness.  She has mentioned maybe working on a political campaign because she is so discouraged with both presidential options. Would this be a good place to start? 

Well, I don't know your dd, but I would be less supportive on working for a particular political campaign than for a cause.  With a campaign, if her candidate loses, will that trigger her illness?  And even if the candidate wins, then what?

But with a cause, instead of a candidate (i.e. "Save the Whales", not "Cruella deVille for Dogcatcher"), maybe there's less opportunity for a big setback, and it can be worked on slowly over a longer period of time.

Well I (being the cynic that I am) would discourage political volunteering. It just seems like there wouldn't be enough good results to warrant her time. Sorry, that's just my current attitude about politics.

But I do think volunteering could be an excellent outlet for her. Can you help her brainstorm any passions? Animals, kids, women, elderly, the Homeless? Those are just the first ones off the top of my head. Maybe help her find a way to plug in so she could help a group she has a passion for.

Hugs to you and your daughter. It's tough to feel like your floundering. An even harder (maybe?) to watch.

• Like 2

Volunteering can be a great way to make a difference and explore different life directions. I would probably steer my DD toward helping support a political cause rather than a candidate. If the candidate loses, the work may seem too finite or might seem like all the work was for nothing. For a cause, the campaign is usually ongoing even (and sometimes, especially) if it is not successful at election time.

Is your DD interested in using her current credentials at all? There are many organizations that are in need of hair stylists to volunteer their time--shelters, neighborhood centers (especially for back to school events), homes for trafficking victims, job centers, etc. I know of churches that take stylists on mission trips to minister to women in sex trades. I personally don't know of secular groups that do this, but I'm sure they exist as well. That type of work could be a tangible, "right now" way of helping while she looks for what she'd like her next steps to be.

I'd also recommend taking one class, not necessarily a college class, but just whatever interests her. It could be something academic at a college, or maybe a more hobby type class. Maybe something that's she's always wanted to try, but hasn't for whatever reason. It could be a springboard toward a new path, but if not at least she will come out with having tried something different and encountered new people and perspectives.

• Like 1

My dd will soon turn 24. I have written over the years I have been on this board about her struggle with depression.  She continues to see her counselor and take her medications.  She is a licensed hair stylist, but works as a receptionist in a hair salon.  Dd shares an apartment with a friend a short distance from work and lives fairly frugally. We cover her health and car insurance.

Last night, I received a text from her.  She was regretting that she had not gone on to college and she felt like her mind was "withering."

Why couldn't she attend college now? Take a class at a time and chip away at it slowly if more does not work with her illness.

• Like 1

If she is considering returning to school, many women's colleges have very supportive programs for students of non-traditional age. Wellesley has the Davis Degree, Bryn Mawr the McBride Scholars, Mount Holyoke the Frances Perkins Program... I imagine most colleges have similar programs, but I find that women's colleges offer a particularly supportive environment. I have known several women who have gone back to school at a non-traditional age (one in her late 60s studying Classics!) who have found it very fulfilling. So just saying, there are excellent, nurturing programs out there if she wants to return to school - it certainly isn't too late.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 2

If she regrets not having gone to college, encourage her to pursue it! She can go full time, part time, community college, university, online, etc. she can take out loans or pay her way. Encourage her to think about a dream career, or take a survey of what would suit her, or look into a financially rewarding career. Remind her of how many careers and jobs most people have and that we humans grow and change and mature over time. What was fun and exciting in one part of life may now be less important, or another option may become more feasible.

I think the #1 thing I would do to is to reassure her that feelings like that are really common at that age, including for people who went to university.

I remember, when my oldest was small, reading in my alumni magazine about a girl who was at school the same time as me.  She had moved to London and opened a sucessful movie extra company.  It sounded very exciting and like a real accomplishment.  I felt really lame.  But I also know my teacher-friend felt lame because I had a husband and child, and that was what she wanted.  And many people that age, and older, with degrees, are working at jobs that seem like they are unimportant, or useless, or even about something they don't really agree with.  Feeling like it sucks is universal, I think.

It might also help her to realize that many jobs that do feel rewarding don't require university, and ones that do can feel like a mill or worse.

Concretely - significant volunteer work seems like a good idea, maybe politics though that might be depressing in its own way.  I'd suggest she think about of the box a bit, and see what is locally avaialable, sometimes opportunities aren't as evident as one might think, or at first glance don't seem important enough.  One example  I can think of - the several local museums in my area need people to do all kinds of things.  These are typically organizations with very small budgets, but they have regular dedicated volunteers.  People that do the gardens (extensive in the case of a few) people that sit at the desk, give presentations to schools, keep the library in order.  Politics could be illuminating though too - if she doesn't have a candidate she likes maybe something like working for the returning officer (I don't know what you call that in the US) setting up tables, sending out notices, etc, is important non-partisan work.

Intellectual stimulation can be hard to, depending on where you live.  I'd go beyond looking online to things like libraries, various organizations that host talks, that sort of thing.  Some churches can give really interesting stuff that is ecumenical or even not linked to a particular religion.  And I'd think beyond "intellectual" topics - there are groups that meet to learn skills like gardening or beekeeping or how to sharpen a chainsaw, which can be just as stimulating as a more abstract topic.  I volunteered to help rebuild the clay oven in our park last fall, and I learned a lot and also about some organizations that have all kinds of learning opportunities.

• Like 1

First, my standard questions for young women struggling with depression: 

• Has she tried cognitive behavioral therapy? (That helps you identify errors in thinking that can lead to depression). 
  • Has she tried going off of ALL forms of hormonal birth control?  (Many women I've known, including myself and a family member, could not get over depression until we stopped all hormones that we were on for painful & heavy periods.  We found dietary answers instead).

What's your family's world view?  I found The Purpose Driven Life to be a great book when I was young and felt similar to her.  One of my agnostic friends liked it too, but another found the Christian context very off-putting.

What problems in the world would she like to fix?

I agree on the birth control thing, but my understanding regarding cognitive therapy is that it may help with coping, but it is not going to fix depression.  Depression is a chemical imbalance and not caused by errors in thinking. 

What if she took one course at the CC to see how that went?  To see if she really REALLY wants to go to school.  That would give her something to do, but wouldn't be too much pressure. 

I can't answer the campaign stuff from any sort of BTDT.  If she is an outgoing sort of person it seems like a way to meet new people and be involved with something.

I agree on the birth control thing, but my understanding regarding cognitive therapy is that it may help with coping, but it is not going to fix depression.  Depression is a chemical imbalance and not caused by errors in thinking. 

Yes, depression IS a chemical imbalance but CBT and other non pharmacological methods do affect the brain chemistry. 

"Compared to pharmacological approaches, CBT and medication treatments had similar effects on chronic depressive symptoms, with effect sizes in the medium-large range "

For severe long lasting depression, combination cbt & pharmacological interventions were most helpful. (review of meta analyses on efficacy of cbt published in 2012 )

• Like 2

Yeah, I think that view of depression as being mainly a chemical thing that responds to drugs was really being pushed for a while, but really it is more complicated than that. Depression is related to brain chemistry, but that can be caused, and in turn affected in some way, by a lot of things.  It could be something just organically wrong in the brain, or it could be caused by a situation - isolation and lack of supportive relationships is a major factor in depression, and can be significant in improving it. Or just other things in life. 

(A bit of an aside but maybe of interest to the OP,  I read something interesting the other day which raised the question of depression related to change and instability in people in their 20s.  Instability as related to depression is something recognized to be an issue, people who are unstable in jobs, living situation, etc, are more likely to be affected by depression.  The writer who was some sort of therapist and/or psychiatrist noted that quite a lot of people in their 20s are struggling with depression, and wondered if a partial cause wasn't that instability was such a feature of life in that age group now.  Frequent moves, lack of job and financial stability, often no long-term partner, that sort of thing.  )

Exercise and time outdoors can have positive effects.  And various kinds of therapy also seem to have effects - I believe actually serious practice of meditation can be as helpful as cognitive therapy.  And on the other hand, the newer psychiatric drugs don't seem as great as a lot of people thought initially - their effects aren't as significant, and they don't always seem as effective at preventing future episodes once people wean off them.

There seems to be a move back to saying that some kind of other approaches should be used alongside medications, or maybe even first.  I think what often is a limitation is cost and availability.  Drugs are relatively easier and cheaper.

• Like 3

Yes, depression IS a chemical imbalance but CBT and other non pharmacological methods do affect the brain chemistry. 

"Compared to pharmacological approaches, CBT and medication treatments had similar effects on chronic depressive symptoms, with effect sizes in the medium-large range "

For severe long lasting depression, combination cbt & pharmacological interventions were most helpful. (review of meta analyses on efficacy of cbt published in 2012 )

But is there evidence that it changes brain chemistry?  It may help with coping so I believe that the results are better, but again, this is not evidence of a change in brain chemistry.

Which who cares why or how it works.  If it works it works.  I just don't like it when people claim that it is going to fix depression because it doesn't really fix it. 

Yeah, I think that view of depression as being mainly a chemical thing that responds to drugs was really being pushed for a while, but really it is more complicated than that. Depression is related to brain chemistry, but that can be caused, and in turn affected in some way, by a lot of things.  It could be something just organically wrong in the brain, or it could be caused by a situation - isolation and lack of supportive relationships is a major factor in depression, and can be significant in improving it. Or just other things in life. 

(A bit of an aside but maybe of interest to the OP,  I read something interesting the other day which raised the question of depression related to change and instability in people in their 20s.  Instability as related to depression is something recognized to be an issue, people who are unstable in jobs, living situation, etc, are more likely to be affected by depression.  The writer who was some sort of therapist and/or psychiatrist noted that quite a lot of people in their 20s are struggling with depression, and wondered if a partial cause wasn't that instability was such a feature of life in that age group now.  Frequent moves, lack of job and financial stability, often no long-term partner, that sort of thing.  )

Exercise and time outdoors can have positive effects.  And various kinds of therapy also seem to have effects - I believe actually serious practice of meditation can be as helpful as cognitive therapy.  And on the other hand, the newer psychiatric drugs don't seem as great as a lot of people thought initially - their effects aren't as significant, and they don't always seem as effective at preventing future episodes once people wean off them.

There seems to be a move back to saying that some kind of other approaches should be used alongside medications, or maybe even first.  I think what often is a limitation is cost and availability.  Drugs are relatively easier and cheaper.

I know it helps.  I've seen it help many people in my life.  But it doesn't make it go away forever or magically fix it.  It's a lot about teaching coping skills.  Maybe I'm getting hung up on semantics here. 

I'd encourage her to go back to school. 

Also perhaps an appointment with a career transitions counsellor - someone who can help her do a passion inventory.  Or maybe she can work on it on her own with on of those books. My favourite is Finding Your North Star by Martha Beck but she also has a new one called Finding Your Way in Wild New World

There's a fine balance too between understanding one's mood imbalances & avoiding careers / activities because of it. The people in my life who have diagnosed & medicated mood disorders have a variety of careers/positions/ambitions, incl what would be called 'very stressful'.  It's ok to pursue stressful or difficult opportunities even if you suffer from depression, just so long as you also practice self care & have people to help you monitor your status. 

If she's interested in politics and change, absolutely get involved. It's hard to know if issue campaigns are psychologically easier than politician's campaigns. On one hand there's less of a 'finished: won or lost' result; otoh campaigns are sometimes so thankless and have been going on for decades. I've been peripherally involved and supporting a campaign which is still going since 1984 & it started before that. Depending on the issue, you have to be firm and resolute and look for the opportunity to celebrate any little victories along the way. 

But is there evidence that it changes brain chemistry? 

Everything we do changes brain chemistry. Exercise is probably the most powerful. But brains are being re-written constantly. That's the concept of brain plasticity. You rewire & change emphasis which chemical receptors are most active. 

There are studies on this. Just one.

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 3

I know it helps.  I've seen it help many people in my life.  But it doesn't make it go away forever or magically fix it.  It's a lot about teaching coping skills.  Maybe I'm getting hung up on semantics here. 

Yeah, I am not saying that it teaches coping skills.  I am saying that it actually affects the brain.  What we do, what we think, changes brain function. 

There are some who think it may actually have better affects on brain chemistry, from a long term perspective, than medications, and that is why the medications tend to have more relapses over time.

• Like 5

School shouldn't only mean university though, especially if the goal is a job that is rewarding.  I know a lot of people who are working at jobs in offices that they don't really enjoy, with university educations.  Some of people I know with jobs they love went in totally different directions - silviculture school, luthier, there are a lot of possibilities.

• Like 1

I would steer away from politics!  ha :)

Would she be interested in learning a second language?

Or becoming certified in some medical capacity?  My brother is a doctor and he has encouraged my kids and his own many times, if they're unsure of a college path, to get a medical certificate instead.  You can get some of them in just one year and get a very good job in a hospital or clinic after that.  It might be operating a particular kind of machine used in hospitals, for example.  It can be very rewarding to work with patients in a hospital setting.

There are also volunteer programs that would take her to interesting places all over the world.  Some volunteer programs use your particular skill, so as a hair stylist in your daughter's case.

I don't know very much about chronic depression, but I know that sometimes an interesting change and something that feels new and exciting is good for everyone from time to time.  I think for many people, it just feels too difficult or overwhelming to figure out how to make that change.  I think it's okay for a parent to step in from time to time and organize everything so that the change can happen.  Sometimes our adult children just need a little push in a different direction.

I have a bright daughter who is 23 who has chronic pain, and has put off college because of it.  So I understand a little of your experience.  I do think the 20's can be very difficult for anyone!  It's a time of figuring things out and some disappointments and changes in dreams.  But it is also a time of a lot of new discoveries and exciting new dreams.  The negatives are often much easier to see though!

Edited by J-rap

Thinking through this from my own perspective, which might not apply at all, I'd say:

1.  Get outside to a place where no road noise is heard.  Sunshine and the unmitigated sounds/smells/sights of wild nature are healing.  This has to happen often.  Maybe join Sierra Singles, the singles branch of the Sierra Club.

2.  Get creative.  My first engineering coop job was a tight financial squeeze, and I couldn't justify any materials to make things with except food (after all, I had to eat).  So I tried new recipes and got a little bump of accomplishment from the ones that worked out.

3.  Volunteering at a political cause headquarters or to help the poor are worthy things to do, but can be depressing in and of themselves.  My inclination if I were depressed would be to volunteer at a school--read to kids, teach them to read better, do science experiments, etc.  Pure unmitigated positive action without being forced to observe shenanigans or misery.

4.  Or volunteer at a natural history place--get your volunteering/wild nature/positive accomplishment on in one fell swoop!

5.  Take pride in being on your own and having established a self-sustaining life. That's big!

6.  Go to church every week.  It's nourishing, if you go to a good one that focusses on the Gospel.

7.  Read positive, happy books every day.

8.  Try St. John's Wort tea.

9.  Exercise 5 days per week.  Endorphins rock!

ETA:  Habits of the mind are really important, and I don't know exactly how to convey or describe this.  I'm not saying you can necessarily think yourself out of depression, but you CAN choose what to dwell on mentally to a large extent, and that can accelerate a natural progression either toward or away from depression in some people.  CBT is very helpful in that regard, I have heard.  There is also a book called "Undoing Depression" that rang true with me that you might want to read and see if you get any ideas from it that might help her.  

We can't stop negative thoughts from coming into our heads, but we CAN resist the temptation to brood on them by choosing to think about something positive instead, even if it is just a cute baby or a beautiful forest scene or some stunning music or literature.  It's a good idea to have that in mind.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure being involved in a political campaign is a great idea either: It could be stressful, and as an inexperienced new recruit, she will be probably be doing grunt work such as phone surveys and get out the vote canvassing. It will not necessarily be intellectually engaging. Campaigns do run on emotion - there will be a lot of "pep rallying" for the election, and then a big let-down at the end. If the candidate loses, that's obviously demoralizing, but even if he or she wins, there is a big letdown of not being needed at the campaign anymore.

I like the suggestion of volunteering at some sort of museum or school (or any ongoing organization really) better.

If she regrets not going to college and is looking for intellectual stimulation, couldn't she take some classes? Non-credit continuing education classes are generally cheaper than ones for college credit, but at age 24 the parent's income no longer counts on the FAFSA, so she could take classes for credit with financial aid as well.

Since she has worked as a receptionist, she could try looking around at other receptionist or admin-type jobs to see if there is one at a nonprofit or some organization where she feels like she is part of a bigger cause, or somehow around smarter people all day. (Admin assistant at a college, with tuition benefits maybe??)

I think the hardest part with someone with depression is taking that first step towards any new direction, so don't feed her too many suggestions at once.

Good luck!

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts. I will come back later today and go through them all individually.

Just two quick notes if it helps:

1.) about meaningful volunteer work:  her experiences with depression combined with other factors means that working directly with those struggling with similar issues or working with victims of domestic violence or other violent crimes may not be the healthiest options at this time

2.) college is an option, but not in the traditional sense.  We have already paid for a very expensive vocational program which she finished part of.  Our youngest begins college in August.  We are not financially able to support having both in a traditional college program at one time.  Dd has a high school diploma and a decent GPA, but no test scores.  Testing is an issue for her.  Dh is fairly adamant that dd have some skin in the game for this round of schooling.

We really love this child and I don't mean to sound harsh. I am a bit tired from recreating the wheel when it comes to educating my children and thought I was heading into retirement.

• Like 1

1.) about meaningful volunteer work:  her experiences with depression combined with other factors means that working directly with those struggling with similar issues or working with victims of domestic violence or other violent crimes may not be the healthiest options at this time

2.) college is an option, but not in the traditional sense.  We have already paid for a very expensive vocational program which she finished part of.  Our youngest begins college in August.  We are not financially able to support having both in a traditional college program at one time.  Dd has a high school diploma and a decent GPA, but no test scores.  Testing is an issue for her.  Dh is fairly adamant that dd have some skin in the game for this round of schooling.

We really love this child and I don't mean to sound harsh. I am a bit tired from recreating the wheel when it comes to educating my children and thought I was heading into retirement.

There is meaningful volunteer work that does not involve people in crisis. Maybe she would enjoy being a volunteer docent at a museum, an usher at the community theater, helping with courses at the community center, volunteering in the library? Or even putting her skills to use and giving haircuts to homebound elderly or other demographics in need?

I understand that traditional college is not an option. But maybe she could start taking one evening class at the CC? 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I know it's made a huge difference to two of the people in my life.  A big part of depression IS about hopelessness, and you can get out of the cycle of hopelessness when you start to understand the difference between things you can control and things you can't.  And having the courage to do something about the things you can control.  Not to sound like a 12-step program, but that is one huge area of life.  A lot of people, and IME, a lot of young women, get caught in a weird cycle of codependency and try to be responsible for things they cannot possibly control.  When you get caught in a cycle of crushed dreams and disappointment, it is easy for the chemicals in your brain to get caught there too. Sometimes changing the way you're thinking, regaining something to be hopeful about, letting go of the things that you can't be hopeful about releases the chemicals in the brain to move on into healthier patterns.

All of which to say, neurochemistry is very complicated and we don't really understand it yet.

I have heard magic mushrooms can cure depression for more than 6 months though, so maybe it is all chemistry.  Although the only place they're legal is someplace in the virgin islands.  And maybe Spain.  Because they legalized everything I think.

• Like 1

Your daughter is old enough that she would qualify for financial aid independent of your income. You don't have to pay for it.

I would steer clear of political work. Politics is VERY negative.

The shelter where I live has a Paw Pals program for which volunteers take a dog for a walk once a week (or more). This would be meaningful work combined with exercise. She could also volunteer to be a literacy tutor. There is a constant need for this.

If she really wants to go to college, I'd encourage her to apply at the CC and get started. Aim for an AA and then maybe go for a Bachelor's. She doesn't need to sit and watch her peers achieve and feel bad about it. She can take her own positive steps.

(My oldest suffers from depression. I have sympathy for your dd.)

• Like 3

Your daughter is old enough that she would qualify for financial aid independent of your income. You don't have to pay for it.

The standard community college placement tests are given untimed, if that would help with her anxiety as well.

Depending on the college, there may be better or worse career counseling available to help her choose a new path.

The risk with mixing politics and depression is that it's easy to become a "True Believer", as Eric Hoffer called it, a state where chasing the high of feeling like you are part of something greater than yourself leads you to make bad political decisions and makes it easy to fall in with an extreme crowd. (The True Believer might be a good book recommendation if she is looking for something new to read.)

Edited by Anacharsis

I ran across these two podcasts which have a lot to do re: meaning and work. The first few minutes of the first one talk about meaning in work and might be helpful.

These are by an Orthodox Christian but no one is trying to convert anyone. But fair warning. And she does have a good sense of humor so things move along.

http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/kwtailor/watchful_work_part_one

http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/kwtailor/watchful_work_part_two

ETA part 2