Menu

Curriculum Blues

We are finished with home schooling. I am selling or giving away most of our curriculum, and I do not have to look for curriculum for the new year. I thought I would be thrilled, but here I am, sitting in my craft room; i.e. the former school room, and I feel like crying. Many of the courses went through the hands of all of our children. Memories are being put into Priority Mail boxes and sent away. Wah!

1togo

• Like 18

I can relate, and I don't have high schoolers!  I still have almost all the curriculum we have used since 2nd grade and my youngest will be in sixth next year.  I can't seem to part with it yet.  Sappy, I know.  Plus, I am intimidated by trying to sell it especially as the pile grows each year. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:   

I know I'm going to miss this home schooling period so much when we come to the end, too. I'm going to make the most I can of the time we have left... two years with my sons and four years with my daughter.  It sounds like so long, but it really isn't. 

Hugs to you.  I like to think that after we round the bend after home schooling, there will be other, different but exciting things to come.

• Like 4

I can relate!!  I have 1 left to homeschool and she will be a senior next year.  I went to my final homeschool conference this May.  I sold quite a bit at our co-ops used book sale.  But, my shelves are still full of much loved (at least by me :) ) books and curriculum.  Some things my oldest wants to hang on to even though she is in now in college.  It is a joy to see our children excel.  It is a wonderful thing to watch them grow and flourish and become wonderful adults launching out on their own. 

But, it sure is hard sometimes. 

• Like 1

J&J,

I have had success with the Classifieds on WTM. I post each item or set separately, and I include Priority Mail in the price, so I don't need to find boxes. I haven't made a lot of money, and sometimes I've posted items for just cost of shipping, but I've kept what last dc wants and found homes for everything else.

1togo 

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug: 

My older daughter is graduating this year.  My younger daughter is a rising 10th grader.  I'm trying not to think to far ahead.  So much of my life has revolved around homeschooling!  I enjoy learning with my girls and don't quite know how to be alone.  We've gotten rid of a lot of books already, but there are so many more to go.  Letting them go has been painful.

• Like 3

You know what I did? I took that stinkin' phonics book - the one all six children used with me, the one I hated by the time I went through it for the last time - and I framed it in a shadow box to hang on my wall. It was the very first curriculum I bought for homeschooling. I remember when it came in the mail. I took my 4yo twins, my 2yo, and my baby to the playground so I could sit for a few minutes undisturbed and look through the book. I was so excited to start homeschooling, I couldn't wait! Gosh, that was a long time ago.

That's awesome.  I didn't keep ours, but I did write the names of the kids I'd taught to read with it.  I hope whatever family it's with now is encouraged by a hopefully longer by now list of names.

• Like 6

We had a garage sale last weekend and I sold a few things, but had a series of art books I couldn't part with, even though they are way past them now. A young homeschool mom who has four girls was shopping and I brought it up for her from our schoolroom, she bought it. i did not want it to go to just anyone!! She said her girls love art.

I am a bit sad to have a middle school and high school student next year.

I have TWO copies of Phonics Pathways that I will not part with, one the original one I used and the most recent one sent to me by Delores after I made some syllable division suggestions to add to her book! In my defense, I do occasionally use them with my remedial students. I also have a 1950s Hay and Wingo Phonics book that I used with my first few students that I do not use today but will not part with.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! Angie, yes, that is exactly what I want to do!

A dear friend told me that she wept as she packed up her home school materials after her last dc was finished because home schooling is such a personal time with our precious children. When we home school our children, we are choosing them. As they move into the adult world and independence, we hope they choose us by asking us to be part of their lives. We have about 8 weeks before dd is off to a retreat for college fiddling group, and then, even though she will be living at home the first year of college, she will be on campus five days per week, often for long hours due to rehearsals. She is travelling for fall break, so it will be Christmas before she can sit a spell.

• Like 1

:grouphug:

Right there with you. I packed all that I was ready to get rid of into a few big boxes and planned to take it to a local used curriculum sale. Now, dd has a surgical follow-up appointment the day of the sale and I won't be able to go. That means I have to get it all back out, take pictures of everything and get it all listed here and on local FB groups.  :svengo:

It was hard enough to put it in the boxes. There are a few things I just can't bring myself to part with even though it is completely silly. I have sold most things as the last child finished them. I don't have 10 years worth of curriculum on my shelves or anything, but it is still so hard to get rid of it all. I loved homeschooling. Even as I shop for dorm stuff with my youngest, it is still hard to see the era end.

• Like 1

I'm in the same process since we're hoping to move this summer. I'm stubborn and keeping some books. I did purge almost 40 books from two bookcases though. A few more to go (few being relative to all the bookcases in the world). 

I'm donating most of mine remembering the thrill I had when I found stuff at the thrift stores. 

• Like 2

I understand the sense of loss. Ds is going into 10th grade and I am preparing myself by reminding myself this is a season in my life. Not my whole life, just a beautiful part that I am honored to share with ds. 

I absolutely love homeschooling and have a developed a big sense of identity around it. I will have to re-define myself when ds moves on.  

• Like 1