Menu

Whole Foods (If I had the money)

Ann.without.an.e

If I had the money, shopping would happen about every 6-7 days at Whole Foods where I would load my cart with lots of organic veggies.  If money REALLY wasn't an issue I would load it with those pre-washed, already portioned tubs of veggies.  Fresh fruits and the meats looks amazing too.  Seriously and for real, this is where my money would go :lol:

About how much money do you suppose a family of 6 with teenagers would need to spend to live this way (haha) 

Really I'm just dreaming.  That's all.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

$1000/month at least for grocery budget, if you kept to real food and not processed junky shortcut foods.

I would rather join a produce co-op and find a local-ish farmer/rancher willing to sell me grass-fed meat by the side or whole animal.

• Like 5

I dunno.  Maybe it is our Whole Foods, but I went once to see what the hype was about (they are new to our area), and I was not particularly impressed.  But for the longest time we had no store like this so all of the other stores already carry whatever is possible to carry in that department and for less money.  I am wondering how long they will manage to stay in business around here.

• Like 3

$1000/month at least for grocery budget, if you kept to real food and not processed junky shortcut foods.

I would rather join a produce co-op and find a local-ish farmer/rancher willing to sell me grass-fed meat by the side or whole animal.

Sorry, it didn't save my first reply. I once did those things but I'm not sure I have the time right now. I work three days a week, attempt to keep up with three teenage schedules, and still homeschool somewhere in the middle of the craziness.

If I had the money, shopping would happen about every 6-7 days at Whole Foods where I would load my cart with lots of organic veggies.  If money REALLY wasn't an issue I would load it with those pre-washed, already portioned tubs of veggies.  Fresh fruits and the meats looks amazing too.  Seriously and for real, this is where my money would go :lol:

About how much money do you suppose a family of 6 with teenagers would need to spend to live this way (haha) 

Really I'm just dreaming.  That's all.

Well, I have a 3 year old DS, a 7 year old DS, and a very hungry DH, and we spend about $1600-2000 each month at Whole Foods, depending on how much booze I buy.  :cheers2:

But, we aren't much for scratch cooking. So, if you mostly scratch cook, aren't a functioning alcoholic, and shop the sales, it would probably be half as much.  

• Like 6

The USDA estimates the monthly cost for a family of four- using the liberal plan- is about $1300.  So add teenagers, and I think it's going to be a good bit more.  Especially if you're buying everything at Whole Foods- milk, butter, cheese, seafood, etc. 

• Like 2

WF produce is well priced, imo. The "normal" grocery stores near me have terrible produce. WF is consistently high quality and usually in the the same price range, especially if I keep an eye on what's on sale.

This speaks less to the affordability of WF and more to the cr@ppy state of fresh produce in my area. I'm so grateful I can pop over to a different store. I feel bad for those who don't have the option. It also makes me more concerned about food deserts.

In my imaginary world someone else shops for and prepares organic fruits and veggies for me. I feel like I could live on fruit and veg if I didn't need to do any of the work!

• Like 8

The USDA estimates the monthly cost for a family of four- using the liberal plan- is about $1300.  So add teenagers, and I think it's going to be a good bit more.  Especially if you're buying everything at Whole Foods- milk, butter, cheese, seafood, etc. 

This makes me feel good.  Like I'm a savvy shopper.  :laugh:

• Like 4

WF produce is well priced, imo. The "normal" grocery stores near me have terrible produce. WF is consistently high quality and usually in the the same price range, especially if I keep an eye on what's on sale.

This speaks less to the affordability of WF and more to the [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script> state of fresh produce in my area. I'm so grateful I can pop over to a different store. I feel bad for those who don't have the option. It also makes me more concerned about food deserts.

In my imaginary world someone else shops for and prepares organic fruits and veggies for me. I feel like I could live on fruit and veg if I didn't need to do any of the work!

I don't know.  There is definitely some degree of "luxury pricing".   The earns of corn at Whole Foods are 2 for $1.  The ears of corn at the local grocery store that are equally delicious are 12 for $3.   Neither organic.

• Like 4

I wonder if it depends on where you live?  I'm in FL where Publix is the local chain store.  I think Whole Foods is cheaper for a lot of staples and even a lot of fruits/vegetables.  Meat is maybe $1 more per pound at Whole Foods.   

But yeah, I can get way carried away at Whole Foods.  Everything looks so delicious.

• Like 4

I don't know. There is definitely some degree of "luxury pricing". The earns of corn at Whole Foods are 2 for $1. The ears of corn at the local grocery store that are equally delicious are 12 for $3. Neither organic.

I've never seen fresh corn at my normal grocery store. It's pretty much onions, peppers, potatoes and packaged greens and lettuces. At my secondary store it might be cheaper but lesser quality.

We do a CSA in the summer which is awesome!

I don't know.  There is definitely some degree of "luxury pricing".   The earns of corn at Whole Foods are 2 for $1.  The ears of corn at the local grocery store that are equally delicious are 12 for $3.   Neither organic.

Absolutely.  Whole Foods here doesn't sell more organic than the regular stores.  Why would they?  They all probably have the same access to what's available in that department.  People often assume if it's in a fancier store it's organic or better.  It's not necessarily organic if it is not labeled organic.  We have another store similar in concept to Whole Foods here called the Fresh Market.  I went a couple of times just to see what they had.  I overheard some guy looking at the various beers they sold and said oh wow look at all this organic beer.  There wasn't "all this organic beer".  I think they had 2 organic beers of the 50 beers they sold.  If they aren't labeled organic they are not necessarily organic, but he assumed because it was in a fancy high priced store.

I've never seen fresh corn at my normal grocery store. It's pretty much onions, peppers, potatoes and packaged greens and lettuces. At my secondary store it might be cheaper but lesser quality.

We do a CSA in the summer which is awesome!

Wow really?

Right now all the stores have tons of it.  That's a big thing around here.

• Like 1

Our Whole Foods has a meat special every Tuesday.  Chicken Breasts (big fat juicy ones) are $2.99 a pound.  Ground Round is $2.99 a pound.   Though not organic or grass-fed, it still meets WF's standards, which is no chemicals involved in the animal raising situation.  I imagine they do this because we have a Fresh Market that does the same thing on Tuesdays. 

• Like 3

Our Whole Foods has a meat special every Tuesday.  Chicken Breasts (big fat juicy ones) are $2.99 a pound.  Ground Round is $2.99 a pound.   Though not organic or grass-fed, it still meets WF's standards, which is no chemicals involved in the animal raising situation.  I imagine they do this because we have a Fresh Market that does the same thing on Tuesdays. 

$3.99 here (meanwhile the regular stores have it for $1.99)  Same stuff.  I'm referring to the chicken breasts.  I don't buy a lot of ground beef so I don't pay attention to those prices.

$1000 is what it takes to feed 6 people (no teenagers) making stuff from scratch, no organics, ethnic markets for produce.

If I moved over to Whole Foods, I bet it would easily be $2500.  I can't imagine teenagers.

• Like 2

I wonder if it depends on where you live?  I'm in FL where Publix is the local chain store.  I think Whole Foods is cheaper for a lot of staples and even a lot of fruits/vegetables.  Meat is maybe $1 more per pound at Whole Foods.   

But yeah, I can get way carried away at Whole Foods.  Everything looks so delicious.

My mother-in-law calls Publix the "rich people's store."  :)  She shops around.  Winn Dixie, Walmart, a scary local IGA that she will buy certain things from (but it's awfully smelly in there), and they buy fish and shrimp from some guy's backyard.  

My mother and MIL are the biggest pros at grocery shopping.  I always feel like a rookie next to them.  

Whole Foods is a pretty expensive way to go. They cater to a certain clientele and the prices are pretty high. I like the variety, but to be honest, Kroger and Meijer here have a LOT of organics and at a much lower price tag, and they commit to buying from local producers as much as possible which I like.

So though my budget runs around $600.00 a month for five people, we still eat organics of the following:

carrots, strawberries, apples, bananas, celery, potatoes, onions, peppers, green beans, pea pods (we like them on our salads), plums, tomatoes, raspberries, pears, and sometimes cherries. I can buy organic dry pintos, kidney, and black turtle beans, brown rice too in bulk from the Mennonite Bulk Food store at very reasonable prices, organic baking ingredients as well and the prices beat Whole Foods by a long ways. Meats are much harder. I can usually find free range chicken with no antibiotics or growth hormones but since it is expensive, I use it very small amounts. A quarter beef from the organic farmer down the road is about $500.00 with butchering and wrapping, and nets about 100 lbs of meat plus bones and organs if we want them. (I get a few bones for the dog, but no organs.) 

I feel lucky that I have these places around. I don't want to even think about feeding teenage boys on Whole Foods prices.

But I will say this, their cheese section is heaven on earth!

• Like 2

We don't have a Whole Foods here but we do have natural food stores so I'm assuming they're relatively on par with either other. Having access to a variety of natural food stores and other natural living benefits was a BIG factor in where I chose to live. We have a local natural food chain with a few stores in the city plus another half dozen or more independent health food stores. We also have tons of herb shops, farmer's markets, 2 CSAs, other farms, etc. I have to admit I haven't been feeding us a good diet for a while now while we tried to get settled into a new house. I'm working on this now and will get a better feel of our budget on organic. I do price check though and find that farmer's markets can often be better, cost effective places to get good produce. I like to buy staples in bulk bins. I also use Amazon or other online places for some things. Organic, non-gmo, etc etc etc whole foods diet gets insane. I hate that it's always a trade off between our budget and our diet :( 

• Like 1

Yeah, I've never spent more at Whole a Foods than I do at other grocery stores. I think one *could* if they get caught up in fancier items they wouldn't normally buy, but in the places I've lived you certainly don't have to. Quite a number of things are less expensive, and it's all high quality.

The thing with the corn...a pp hit the nail on the head answering to that. I think as consumers it's very easy to not see the real price beyond the sales fliers...but it really isn't comparing like products. It looks like it is, but ask about the product chain, who is getting paid what, how is the food grown and who is benefitting or suffering because of it.

No store is blemish free, but WF does an incredible amount of good--including pushing other groceries to up their game by offering more local items, etc. That's a win in my book.

• Like 8

Here, that whole foods corn would be local, and the farmer would get more money for it, than the farmer whose corn is going for 12 for $3.

ETA: And it's highly likely that the employees at whole foods are paid more, have more benefits, and are treated better than the employees at the cheap grocery store. All low prices come with a cost. There is always a cost.

'

Sure.  I was just responding to the statement :   "WF produce is well priced, imo. The "normal" grocery stores near me have terrible produce. WF is consistently high quality and usually in the the same price range, especially if I keep an eye on what's on sale."

It may be well priced, but it's not in the same price range, because you are paying for the whole package of the store.

The corn isn't local at either place, but, they do make an effort to have local when possible. And now the regional chains do the same. That is a positive of the whole-food-ification of the market.

• Like 3

This speaks less to the affordability of WF and more to the [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script> state of fresh produce in my area. I'm so grateful I can pop over to a different store. I feel bad for those who don't have the option. It also makes me more concerned about food deserts.

I love your imaginary world.

:001_wub:

• Like 6

A lot of people say that if they shop at WF, their grocery bill doesn't go up.  I think that the only way that this works is for people who go from a high processed, one stop, regular grocery store deal to a more from scratch, bulk buy, produce oriented WF shopping deal.

If I went to WF and bought the exact same things that I do at other stores (and I shop around, so for me, that's Kroger, Publix, several international/ethnic markets, Trader Joe's, Costco, and a local grocery store...not all in the same week, but all of them regularly), then my bill would go up.  If it wouldn't, then I would jump over in a minute, because although I mostly like doing all that price and ingredient hunting, it would be nice to be a one stop shop kind of person sometimes.

• Like 1

I am one of those people who does not shop at a single store.  In fact, I would be hard pressed to buy what I like from a single place.

My first emphasis is on local food, then organic.  Local and organic is lovely but that does not always happen (take strawberries for example). 

This week's shopping included buying a basket of produce from a local organic farmer:  lettuce, kohlrabi, beets, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, braising greens (in addition to the beet and kohlrabi greens that are attached to those roots), red cabbage.  It's spring so we are eating greens. He also sells organic chicken that he raises. I bought two packages of leg quarters.  While the chicken was expensive, the veg was less expensive than the grocery.

My shopping usually begins with the farmer's market or a farm stand and then I go to a grocery.  Being coastal, I buy all of my seafood from a fishmonger.

I will be the first to admit that the way we eat takes time--both the shopping aspect and the prep work involved.  We eat what is in season which limits choices. For me, shopping seasonally and locally is less expensive in the big picture but I recognize that not everyone has that option.

There is considerable variation in grocery prices and options depending on one's location.  I can shop at Trader Joes, for example, but only do so rarely.  They have a lot of processed food and I don't like their packaged veg--but then I think I might be spoiled by my wonderful organic farmers who are nearby.  Again:  location, location.

I do stop at Whole Foods periodically but I tend to spend my dollars on similar items at a food co-op.  I really am lucky to have choices.

Time to think about dinner, I guess.  Kohlrabi risotto with shrimp.  The main ingredients of this meal are local.

• Like 7

Speaking of corn, does anyone know if the non organic corn is non-gmo? Does WF have a GMO policy?

GMO policies are tricky.  There is no regulatory requirement for food manufacturers to label their food as GMO or non-GMO. A store is not always going to know what is inside the can or package; just because an item lack a "non-GMO" label does not mean that it is a GMO food.

If the government required such a label, food manufacturers would raise a stink.

I don't think you can blame WF or any grocery store for this.  GMO labeling is probably more of a governmental issue.

• Like 4

The Fresh Market here has the same deal on Tuesdays. The chicken is much better trimmed than other grocery stores, I don't have to trim it at all! And a great price.

• Like 2

Our local grocery is a division of Kroger.  It carries an excellent selection of organic produce as well as organic packaged foods and organic meats, almost always at a cheaper price than WF.  I only go to WF for specific, specialty items that I can't find either at my grocery or at Natural Grocer, so basically I rarely go.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

The Fresh Market here has the same deal on Tuesdays. The chicken is much better trimmed than other grocery stores, I don't have to trim it at all! And a great price.

Just curious, but trimmed in what way?  I've never had to trim anything on chicken breast I've bought (if it was boneless/skinless).

• Like 2

I am one of those people who does not shop at a single store. In fact, I would be hard pressed to buy what I like from a single place.

My first emphasis is on local food, then organic. Local and organic is lovely but that does not always happen (take strawberries for example).

This week's shopping included buying a basket of produce from a local organic farmer: lettuce, kohlrabi, beets, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, braising greens (in addition to the beet and kohlrabi greens that are attached to those roots), red cabbage. It's spring so we are eating greens. He also sells organic chicken that he raises. I bought two packages of leg quarters. While the chicken was expensive, the veg was less expensive than the grocery.

My shopping usually begins with the farmer's market or a farm stand and then I go to a grocery. Being coastal, I buy all of my seafood from a fishmonger.

I will be the first to admit that the way we eat takes time--both the shopping aspect and the prep work involved. We eat what is in season which limits choices. For me, shopping seasonally and locally is less expensive in the big picture but I recognize that not everyone has that option.

There is considerable variation in grocery prices and options depending on one's location. I can shop at Trader Joes, for example, but only do so rarely. They have a lot of processed food and I don't like their packaged veg--but then I think I might be spoiled by my wonderful organic farmers who are nearby. Again: location, location.

I do stop at Whole Foods periodically but I tend to spend my dollars on similar items at a food co-op. I really am lucky to have choices.

Time to think about dinner, I guess. Kohlrabi risotto with shrimp. The main ingredients of this meal are local.

We have a lot of local choice as well. I feel very fortunate to be surrounded by local farms (we do a CSA with one down the road) and fishermen. Locally grown and harvested fresh veggies, eggs, fish and meats are available year round even our frigid climate thanks to greenhouses and creative farmers.

However...there are plenty of basic items that our corner can't provide, and very often I don't have the time or energy to seek out sources for certain items like grains or flour. But WF and local natural foods markets take pride in offering Maine produced items, and sometimes I'm more than happy to pay the middleman. :)

Of course everyone has their own priorities, budgets, interests, and time constraints, not to mention simple availability. I agree that it's never helpful to assume we all have the same things available to us.

• Like 4

I love the joke of calling it Whole Paycheck. 

You mean that's not the name, haha.  I even texted dd today "Leaving whole paycheck and heading that way"

I guess I should have more appropriately said "Leaving MY whole paycheck and heading that way"

Edited by Attolia

Just curious, but trimmed in what way?  I've never had to trim anything on chicken breast I've bought (if it was boneless/skinless).

I've found that often there is a bit of the skin layer left that need a little trimming, especially with cheaper store brands but I've had that with Tyson and Perdue as well. Thankfully, I can go on Tuesdays and get what I need though, and it's so much tastier too! Dh noticed a difference without having been told until he expressed the fact that the chicken was so much better.

• Like 1

I've found that often there is a bit of the skin layer left that need a little trimming, especially with cheaper store brands but I've had that with Tyson and Perdue as well. Thankfully, I can go on Tuesdays and get what I need though, and it's so much tastier too! Dh noticed a difference without having been told until he expressed the fact that the chicken was so much better.

Huh...I have not encountered that.

If anything I wish they'd leave a bit of that on.  Extra flavor!

• Like 2

Along those lines I wonder if the inflated prices are entirely a reflection of better practices.  I think about stuff like cage free eggs.  So let me get this straight, a chicken with a bit more leg room (we are not talking much because I have seen local free range farms) equals the eggs are 4 times as expensive?  Or is it really 2 times as expensive with another 2 times added because it's hip and people are now buying it.

I hate to say being humane is "hip", but I think people get my gist. 

• Like 1

Huh...I have not encountered that.

If anything I wish they'd leave a bit of that on.  Extra flavor!

Don't think this would add flavor, I'm talking about the yucky white stuff. Like a thin film. Not the top layer of skin that gets crusty if you fry chicken.

• Like 2