Menu

When do you eat breakfast?

snickerplum

Does your family have a set time for breakfast or more of a laid back eat when you want situation?

If you have a set time, is it right away upon waking (or within a short amount of time)? Or is there a period of time between waking and eating that allows for other things to be done?

I usually don't eat breakfast.  DH doesn't either.  One kid eats right away when he gets up.  The other either doesn't eat right away or eats later on.

I've never been able to eat as soon as I wake up.  

But hey if I had several kids, I'd probably have a set time.  That seems like it would be generally easier. 

We have a set time on Sunday mornings because we usually go to church together, and my husband makes bacon and sometimes waffles.  That and the occasional Saturday are the only times we all have breakfast together.

I try to wait till I'm hungry (not just feeling like I want to eat) before I have breakfast. That might be as late as 11:00 or noon.

My husband eats before leaving for work.

The kids mostly eat when they get up on the days they work.

Sometimes I'll do a pot of overnight oatmeal that people can dip into as desired in the morning.  Otherwise I mostly stay out of the way of working people making breakfast.  I figure I did my bit by making sure breakfast foods are available.  :-)

• Like 1

My dh eats when he gets up to go to work...3:30 or 4am.   I'm still sleeping at this point...hopefully.  I have coffee when I get up with integral collagen so I don't usually eat until 11 and have brunch with my son.   It's usually eggs, bacon and triple zero yogurt with berries.  We have dinner at 6 pm every night now. 

We've always eaten breakfast independently.  I've always felt a little badly about that when my parents come to visit.  Oh well.  My kids would always eat instantly upon waking.  It takes me longer to get hungry, but I can always drink coffee.  This morning I had an egg with black beans.

When dc were young, I cooked a hot breakfast as soon as I got up and had it ready for them when they got up.  So that would have been between 5 and 7am.  They usually just pulled their sleeping bags up over their beds and came downstairs and ate. 

By the time they were teens, we each got our own breakfast whenever we were hungry, unless the cooking person had decided to cook something hot like pancakes or French toast or whatever.  This meant that some got up and fixed their breakfast as early as 6am.  Others waited until they had done a subject or 2, or checked and fed animals, before fixing their breakfast. 

The cooking person wasn't required to cook breakfast, only supper.  And 'supper' could have been anywhere from noon to 5pm.

Now that all the kids are gone?  I eat my first meal anywhere from 5am to noon.

Ideally, I wish we could have eaten as a family before dh went to work.  But he usually left between 4am and 6am and wasn't interested in eating breakfast with us.  So the kids and I ate together when they were young.  Now, it's just me and him, and he likes to cook breakfast for the 2 of us on the weekends, usually omlettes with some form of oatmeal or grits.

Edited by _ ?^..

Hubby eats as soon as he is up, then heads off to work. His schedule varies, he might be driving to his dad's old office 40 minutes away, or walking to the commuter train to Chicago to go to court. There is his own yogurt and berries and granola handy. I grab my own oatmeal (I have steel-cut oatmeal I make in batches and keep in small containers in the 'fridge) and gulp down milk while it gets nuked as I am super hungry when I wake up. One dd grabs a protein bar as she heads out to her 6am kidkare job. She won't eat a real meal until much later, as she can't face food first thing in the morning. The twins, one eats later in the day, as he simply can not face food in the morning. The other has to be at his autism day program by a certain time, so I hover and keep reminding him to eat since he has to do so. Given a choice, he'd sleep in and eat later, too.

Edited by JFSinIL

It depends what day it is.

Days I work at school or Sundays when we go to church I'm up around 4-4:30am, then shower, after which I'm starting breakfast around 5am - right after feeding cats.  I leave for school at 6:40ish and get hubby up right before I leave.  I've no idea when he eats.

Days I don't work I'm still up around 4-4:30am, feed the cats, and I prowl around on the computer first waiting for the others to get up.  By 7am if they aren't up I'll fix breakfast or head outside to get some things done.  When they get up - no later than 8am - we tend to do breakfast together while watching NBC's Today Show (which I've paused from its start).

We rarely eat the same thing.  It's almost always fix what you want from eggs/toast to cereal or leftovers, etc.  Once in a while hubby will do pancakes for whoever is at home while I'm at work.  (Pancakes aren't my favorite.)  Once in a while we'll all do scrambled eggs w/cheese and toast for the whole family.

Today--around 10:30! Kinda irritating but it works for us. My kids aren't hungry when they first wake up.

Dh eats when he gets up before work around 5:30-6am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paradox5

I have some that attend public high school, who are in 3rd period before my face sees the light of day.

I have some that do homeschool high school, who feed themselves and their younger sister.  They're all up and eating around 8-9am, and all desire a heavy breakfast (omelet, veggies, rice).

I roll out of bed closer to 9-10am.  Sometimes my daughter brings me breakfast in bed. It's always a heavy breakfast, which is hard for me to choke down. I'm not hungry when I wake up. When it's cold I'll have a small bowl of soup and rice, when it's not cold I'll have rice and tea. That carries me until lunch, which we eat together.

I don't do breakfast. DH and DD19 feed themselves. DS is like me; we just want a cup of tea and that keeps us until lunch. When the kids were little I made their breakfast every day, but I'm just not ready to eat when I wake up. Lunch is our big, cooked meal and we all eat that around one. We have a cup of tea around 5. Occasionally we'll eat a small snack with it. Our dinner isn't eaten until 7 or 8 and that's when we do lunchy foods like leftovers or sandwiches.

I know the schedule seems odd, but the youngest is almost 16 and it just works for us. It's much easier than when they were little and I had to fix them something every few hours.

Does your family have a set time for breakfast or more of a laid back eat when you want situation?

If you have a set time, is it right away upon waking (or within a short amount of time)? Or is there a period of time between waking and eating that allows for other things to be done?

When dds were young and at home, they and I ate pretty soon after we woke up. No specific time, but we were usually all awake by 8, and I'd get dressed, make my bed, and fix breakfast. We were finished and ready for the day by 9. Once they began taking classes at the community college and had schedules of their own, they ate breakfast--or not--at whatever time worked for them.