Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW21: Middle of the World

Robin M

I know, right? I think her exact words were, "Um, mom, you didn't read this book before you gave it to me, did you?" Nope, no, honey, I didn't. Sorry. :blushing:

I actually think it's kind of sweet that at 13, she has strict boundaries for herself about what she is and is not comfortable reading. I don't police or censor, I just tell her about any content she might not like and let her decide (well, this works when I've read the book, at least!). So far, she doesn't really want any icky sex stuff in her books. I should enjoy it while it lasts, I guess ;) :D . I know that when I was her age, the very fact that there were "forbidden" books is exactly what made me want to read them, and I'm sure I read all kinds of things, sneakily, at that age that I had no idea how to process in a healthy way. And the fact that they were forbidden meant that I had no one to talk about disturbing stuff with, besides my friends who were as ignorant as I was. Anyway, glad to hear it wasn't too hot & heavy!!

If it makes you feel any better, I unthinkingly brought my then 9 year old daughter along to an appointment with a surgeon for a much younger brother who needed a surgery for a severe functional defect in his nether regions. It was 75 minutes of diagrams, photos, and very blunt conversation. Oy.

Mother of the year.

She thinks it's hilarious. Now. At the time she left with her eyes wide and mouth hanging open.

Edited by shage
  • Like 8

She won't be scarred for actually reading it (it was on the lighter side compared to Kareni adult romance books), ....

Thanks for the chuckle!

A book I enjoyed is currently free to Kindle readers.   The Genius and the Muse  by Elizabeth Hunter

"For Kate Mitchell, finishing her master's thesis on reclusive photographer Reed O'Connor was just another item to check off her list. She knew exactly what she was doing. Or does she?

There's just one portrait that doesn't fit. One portrait... and the passion she senses behind it. Finding the story behind O'Connor's picture becomes Kate's obsession, and the people she meets will challenge everything she thought she knew about life, love, and inspiration.

A single picture can tell more than one story, and in the end, Kate discovers that every real love story is a unique work of art."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I'm close to finishing Time and Time Again by Ben Elton. It has definitely fit the bill for me as escapist reading. I'm enjoying it. I'm hoping to finish it tonight or tomorrow. Kareni, you said you enjoy time travel books, so I would think you would certainly like this one too. I'm almost wondering if you might like it too, aggieamy, because much of it is set in 1914 & you would probably enjoy descriptions of the places & clothes.

9781250077066.jpg

I think next up may be The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. I requested it about 2 weeks ago because someone had mentioned it, I think. Now I see that it was probably Rose who did. Glad to see that both you & your dd loved it!

9781400096206.jpg

Aggieamy & mumto2, have fun meeting each other! Sounds like so much fun.

Loesje, sounds like you are having a lovely vacation too!

• Like 13

Oh, here's a little side story for you. <Cat content>

Months ago (in winter when it was very cold) we saw a small Siamese cat hiding outside under our sunroom. Very skittish, obviously starving. Of course I started feeding her. Over time, she got a little braver but would still come nowhere near me. Eventually, ds & I spent hours one (very, very cold) evening working to lure her into our sunroom so at least she would be in a safe place (a large hawk had been eyeing her the previous day) that would be warmer, etc.... It has taken months of work still to get her to be less skittish & I can now pet her. We've kept her separated from our other cats, etc... until we could get her to a vet & checked out & so on. We named her Yuki.

My sister traps & releases feral cats (after getting them their shots, spaying/neutering, etc...) routinely. Since she is in town for my dd's graduation, I asked if she might help me get Yuki in a cage & to the vet. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister was able to scruff her & get her in the cage. Yuki apparently went nuts & acted completely wild once caged. My sister warned the vet staff but the vet techs just laughed it off, said it would be ok, blah, blah. My sister told them she routinely works with feral cats & from her knowledge, they needed to be careful.

And they took Yuki in the back, pooh-poohing my sister's advice.

When they came back in the room where my sister & dd were waiting, told them they had renamed Yuki....

I now introduce you to Hannibal Lector  :lol: .

(Ms. Hannibal was actually sitting on my lap two nights ago for the first time when I took this photo of her):

Yuki%20May%2022%202016.jpg

• Like 16

We went to 'The Cobb' today, you know The Cobb in Lyme Regis from Austens' Persuasion....

:)

It was fun to be there.

The other part of being there was about the Jurassic Coast.

Ohhhh!! Lucky you!! Lyme Regis is on my bucket list for both The Cobb and the fossils. 

And Stacia... :lol:  :lol: about Ms. Hannibal.  I have to share the photo and story with my ds who is the owner of an occasionally psycho Siamese.  He said she made such a racket while being examined at the vet that when they came back out, everyone in the small waiting room was just staring in stunned silence.  He said even the hamster had stopped running on its wheel!

• Like 10

And Stacia... :lol:  :lol: about Ms. Hannibal.  I have to share the photo and story with my ds who is the owner of an occasionally psycho Siamese.  He said she made such a racket while being examined at the vet that when they came back out, everyone in the small waiting room was just staring in stunned silence.  He said even the hamster had stopped running on its wheel!

I *love & adore* Siamese cats! They are definitely strong personalities & will let you know it! And they're not really for the (cat) faint-at-heart types, I think.

Love that your ds' cat can put a room, including the hamster, into stunned silence. :lol:  I'll have to tell Ms. Hannibal that she'll have to aim higher in her ambitions next time (even though I think she drew blood from at least two vet techs yesterday)! Well, and she was also apparently aiming for faces when they opened the cage.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 8

(Ms. Hannibal was actually sitting on my lap two nights ago for the first time when I took this photo of her):

What a beautiful cat! Too funny about the name change. They should have listened to your sister.  :lol:

I hope she keeps getting less and less skittish.

• Like 9

I know, right? I think her exact words were, "Um, mom, you didn't read this book before you gave it to me, did you?"  Nope, no, honey, I didn't.  Sorry.  :blushing:

I actually think it's kind of sweet that at 13, she has strict boundaries for herself about what she is and is not comfortable reading. I don't police or censor, I just tell her about any content she might not like and let her decide (well, this works when I've read the book, at least!). So far, she doesn't really want any icky sex stuff in her books. I should enjoy it while it lasts, I guess  ;)  :D .  I know that when I was her age, the very fact that there were "forbidden" books is exactly what made me want to read them, and I'm sure I read all kinds of things, sneakily, at that age that I had no idea how to process in a healthy way.  And the fact that they were forbidden meant that I had no one to talk about disturbing stuff with, besides my friends who were as ignorant as I was.  Anyway, glad to hear it wasn't too hot & heavy!!

I read Wifey when I was about your daughter's age, Rose. I saw it on my mom's bookshelf, a Judy Blume I'd never heard of. I did not have the self regulating skills that your dd has. Talk about an education!

• Like 7

We went to 'The Cobb' today, you know The Cobb in Lyme Regis from Austens' Persuasion....

It was fun to be there.

Ooohh!  Fun!  You should be reading Persuasion and Remarkable Creatures!   :D

Stacia:  Here's hoping the little (um) lady settles in and let you love on her more and more!

• Like 8

It was fun to be there.

I love Lyme Regis! Walking on The Cobb was a highlight for me but collecting fossils was fun too. For those headed that way down the road, consider staying at the Sanctuary, a bookstore and B&B.
  • Like 7

... consider staying at the Sanctuary, a bookstore and B&B.

This sounds like heaven to me.  I've often thought that a B&B&B (bed, bath, and books) would be a fine institution.

Just finished an enjoyable historical romance Julia Quinn's Because of Miss Bridgerton.  This is an offshoot series to the author's well regarded Bridgerton series; this first book features the aunt of those other Bridgertons.  I'm guessing book two might feature this hero's brother (so not a Bridgerton).

"Sometimes you find love in the most unexpected of places...

This is not one of those times.

Everyone expects Billie Bridgerton to marry one of the Rokesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors for centuries, and as a child the tomboyish Billie ran wild with Edward and Andrew. Either one would make a perfect husband... someday.

Sometimes you fall in love with exactly the person you think you should...

Or not.

There is only one Rokesby Billie absolutely cannot tolerate, and that is George. He may be the eldest and heir to the earldom, but he's arrogant, annoying, and she's absolutely certain he detests her. Which is perfectly convenient, as she can't stand the sight of him, either.

But sometimes fate has a wicked sense of humor...

Because when Billie and George are quite literally thrown together, a whole new sort of sparks begins to fly. And when these lifelong adversaries finally kiss, they just might discover that the one person they can't abide is the one person they can't live without..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Amy and Mum - ~ cheers and wishes for a safe trip and lots of fun. Take lots of pictures

Karen- as always, thank you for all the links. You're helping me feel less guilty about not having as much time to spend searching out interesting links to share.  

Laura - beautiful shawl!  

Erin - you just reminded me I have Corelli's Mandolin in my ebook stack somewhere. Will have to dig it out to read. 

Shage - glad to hear you have gotten a respite.  I totally enjoyed reading Mr. Bowditch with my son which generated a lot of discussion about emotions as well as other things.

Re Station's Eleven--- I totally enjoyed it and would be well worth a reread at some point.  Lots to thinks about and just noticed she has three other books wrote before this one.  

Re books with 'hot' scenes -  When get to these scenes and listening on audiobook in the car, I turn the volume way down when get to stop light, because I'm paranoid the driver next to me will hear.   :lol:   

Speaking of which, my son came into the living room the other day, sat down and started asking about vampires and sex and the mechanics.  Erm.....  Somebody's been sneaking into my bookshelves in my bedroom.  :svengo:

Stacia -- Ms Hannibal is adorable.  Congrats on getting her used to you enough to sit in your lap.  Just watch out for the rub my belly position.  I'd avoid that if I were you.  

Off to make dinner.   :grouphug:

• Like 13

Those of you who enjoy urban fantasy might find this linked pair of currently free Kindle books of interest.  They sound appealing to me.

Lost Library: An Urban Fantasy Romance by Kate Baray

"Lost Library brings together a mysterious, magical book and a quirky heroine to create the adventure of a lifetime!

John Braxton arrives unannounced on Lizzie Smith's doorstep looking for answers she doesn't have. She may have a magical book, but she hasn't a clue what to do with it--or even how to read it. And John's revelation that he's a Lycan isn't making the job any easier.

Before the code to the book can be cracked, Lizzie and John stumble into the middle of a power-hungry mastermind's plan. Caught up in one man's search for power, Lizzie soon begins to uncover surprising secrets about her past and powers. Can she and John put a stop to their new found enemy's plans?

Take a romp through the life of the quirky and well-meaning Lizzie as she discovers magic, creatures that go bump in the night, and maybe love."

and

Spirelli Paranormal Investigations: Episodes 1-3 by Kate Baray

"Jack Spirelli, paranormal investigator, public debunker of paranormal frauds, and private fixer for the magic-using community has opened his doors.

Jack's in a crunch. Since he went pseudo-public with Spirelli Paranormal Investigations, his business has sky-rocketed. Debunking the scum who prey on vulnerable targets makes up half his business now. And the rest of his time? Jack's on speed dial with the Texas Lycan Pack, the Inter-Pack Policing Cooperative gives him an occasional ring, and anything that goes bump in the night might just call him with a job.

He needs an assistant, another investigator, and some additional muscle, but maybe the dragon who just walked in and applied will do for now.

This volume contains the first three episodes of Season One. Each is a complete stand-alone story."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

This sounds like heaven to me.  I've often thought that a B&B&B (bed, bath, and books) would be a fine institution.

Just finished an enjoyable historical romance Julia Quinn's Because of Miss Bridgerton.  This is an offshoot series to the author's well regarded Bridgerton series; this first book features the aunt of those other Bridgertons.  I'm guessing book two might feature this hero's brother (so not a Bridgerton).

"Sometimes you find love in the most unexpected of places...

This is not one of those times.

Everyone expects Billie Bridgerton to marry one of the Rokesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors for centuries, and as a child the tomboyish Billie ran wild with Edward and Andrew. Either one would make a perfect husband... someday.

Sometimes you fall in love with exactly the person you think you should...

Or not.

There is only one Rokesby Billie absolutely cannot tolerate, and that is George. He may be the eldest and heir to the earldom, but he's arrogant, annoying, and she's absolutely certain he detests her. Which is perfectly convenient, as she can't stand the sight of him, either.

But sometimes fate has a wicked sense of humor...

Because when Billie and George are quite literally thrown together, a whole new sort of sparks begins to fly. And when these lifelong adversaries finally kiss, they just might discover that the one person they can't abide is the one person they can't live without..."

Regards,

Kareni

I know this won't surprise you.......already in the stack!

Amy and Mum - ~ cheers and wishes for a safe trip and lots of fun. Take lots of pictures

Karen- as always, thank you for all the links. You're helping me feel less guilty about not having as much time to spend searching out interesting links to share.  

Laura - beautiful shawl!  

Erin - you just reminded me I have Corelli's Mandolin in my ebook stack somewhere. Will have to dig it out to read. 

Shage - glad to hear you have gotten a respite.  I totally enjoyed reading Mr. Bowditch with my son which generated a lot of discussion about emotions as well as other things.

Re Station's Eleven--- I totally enjoyed it and would be well worth a reread at some point.  Lots to thinks about and just noticed she has three other books wrote before this one.  

Re books with 'hot' scenes -  When get to these scenes and listening on audiobook in the car, I turn the volume way down when get to stop light, because I'm paranoid the driver next to me will hear.   :lol:   

Speaking of which, my son came into the living room the other day, sat down and started asking about vampires and sex and the mechanics.  Erm.....  Somebody's been sneaking into my bookshelves in my bedroom.  :svengo:

Stacia -- Ms Hannibal is adorable.  Congrats on getting her used to you enough to sit in your lap.  Just watch out for the rub my belly position.  I'd avoid that if I were you.  

Off to make dinner.   :grouphug:

The facts of life paranormal style tend to be really interesting discussions. My ds just loves to embarrass me! Partly content embarrassment and part this author says this but there's this in other books. I always end up feeling like my reading tastes have set a rather odd example.

I *love & adore* Siamese cats! They are definitely strong personalities & will let you know it! And they're not really for the (cat) faint-at-heart types, I think.

Love that your ds' cat can put a room, including the hamster, into stunned silence. :lol:  I'll have to tell Ms. Hannibal that she'll have to aim higher in her ambitions next time (even though I think she drew blood from at least two vet techs yesterday)! Well, and she was also apparently aiming for faces when they opened the cage.

Beautiful kitty! So has she officially changed her name? :lol:

It was fun to be there.

We have never been to Lyme Regis. It's on our list too. I want to second Remarkable Creatures (Angel suggestion), great book, and your dd might like it also).

I'm like that too.  I could never read anything naughty in the library or in public because I'd start trying to act "overly normal" and make a fool of myself.

I've had Angela's Ashes on my shelves for years. I can't believe I've never read it. Maybe I'll just splurge and get it on Audible for my upcoming road trip.

Haha, that would totally be me, blushing and looking around with my headphones on, wondering if anyone else could hear.

Ladies, that is why Kindles are so wonderful. You can read a kindle anywhere and no one has a clue what you are reading. Just make sure you are holding it so no one can read over you shoulder!

I feel your pain, I had the embarrassing experience of handing this to dd13 before pre-reading, because it came in on hold and I knew I wasn't going to have time to read it while we had it.  She got to that part, and said, "Um, mom????!!!???" and I felt extremely sheepish.  I never did actually read it, but she said it wasn't disturbing, just more graphic than she was prepared for. She decided not to keep going with it. I still haven't read it. Do you think my child is scarred for life????

Some books look so innocent......my big pre reading issue used to be swear words. If they were used sort of in context (think Eyre Affair) not just for shock value they tended to go right over my head and I would hand the book over. I knew there was swearing in Eyre Affair but didn't twig to how much until my young teens started studying it like it was thesis worthy. Exclamations of I can't believe mom let you have this were heard from ds. Also he suddenly wanted to read Fford too! I just thought dd would find it fun.....

I finished The Madwoman Upstairs and really enjoyed it. It was fun overall and I think it is one Rose will enjoy. I liked the book but found the home ed portrayal in it a bit uncomfortable for lack of a better word. Not happy about the overall home ed storyline to the greater world. The main character who was obviously very bright had to repeat grades when sent to boarding school etc. I did find all the Bronte trivia great fun and I haven't even read all the books, just Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights many times. I need to finally go to Haworth, another place I haven't been.

• Like 8

Ohhhh!! Lucky you!! Lyme Regis is on my bucket list for both The Cobb and the fossils. 

It was a lovely day, but a 2h drive from where we are staying.

Bath, Chawton and Winchester are also on our planning

Ooohh!  Fun!  You should be reading Persuasion and Remarkable Creatures!   :D

!

I know Persuasion (of course) and put it on dd's kindle. I don't know the other title, who wrote that?

I love Lyme Regis! Walking on The Cobb was a highlight for me but collecting fossils was fun too.

dd did not find any fossils but lovely other stones.

We stay in Hampshire not in Dorset/Devon.

We have never been to Lyme Regis. It's on our list too. I want to second Remarkable Creatures (Angel suggestion), great book, and your dd might like it too

I finished The Madwoman Upstairs and really enjoyed it. It was fun overall and I think it is one Rose will enjoy. I liked the book but found the home ed portrayal in it a bit uncomfortable for lack of a better word. Not happy about the overall home ed storyline to the greater world. The main character who was obviously very bright had to repeat grades when sent to boarding school etc. I did find all the Bronte trivia great fun and I haven't even read all the books, just Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights many times. I need to finally go to Haworth, another place I haven't been.

Lyme Regis is a long trip from where you live I suppose.

But we went to Haworth on our first vacation in the UK.

Being in that town, walking on the moor, it gave so much background.

It seems to me a depressing place to live though.

• Like 10

Just in time for your holiday shopping!  A new illustrated edition of The Wind of the Willows will be out in the fall.  The illustrator is David Petersen whose Mouseguard books are favorites within my household.  Petersen has a blog post on the creation of the cover for this new book, a process that might interest my bookish friends here.

And with the unofficial start to summer happening this weekend, a Kenneth Grahame quote seems timely.

There’s nothing––absolutely nothing––half so much worth doing as messing about in boats.

• Like 9

Finished both The Moral Landscape and Uprooted last night. Overall I liked Harris' book. Some hard to read parts, but he's one of my favorite people to read and listen to. 

I liked Uprooted but didn't love it. For me the story went on too long. I felt like it was drawn out past it's prime. By the last 10 chapters I was just waiting for it to end already. I was impatient and found myself not caring how it ended as long as it just ended. I thought, "Does she thinks she's Dickens?" 

• Like 9

Just in time for your holiday shopping!  A new illustrated edition of The Wind of the Willows will be out in the fall.  The illustrator is David Petersen whose Mouseguard books are favorites within my household.  Petersen has a blog post on the creation of the cover for this new book, a process that might interest my bookish friends here.

Like a devoted fan girl I make a point of hunting David Petersen down every year at Comic-con.  Youngest ds and I discovered him many years ago when he was first self-publishing Mouse Guard, and while talking together discovered that he is a huge fan of my husband's work. Between that and his beautiful work on Mouse Guard, I've adored him ever since.  Can I get something autographed for you?  Wind and the Willows won't be out til after the convention, unfortunately.

Unlike a devoted fan girl, I have to confess I hadn't been follow his blog. Will amend my ways by bookmarking it now!

• Like 5

Like a devoted fan girl I make a point of hunting David Petersen down every year at Comic-con. Youngest ds and I discovered him many years ago when he was first self-publishing Mouse Guard, and while talking together discovered that he is a huge fan of my husband's work. Between that and his beautiful work on Mouse Guard, I've adored him ever since. Can I get something autographed for you? Wind and the Willows won't be out til after the convention, unfortunately.

Unlike a devoted fan girl, I have to confess I hadn't been follow his blog. Will amend my ways by bookmarking it now!

My husband had been an early supporter of his work through crowd funding. I think he has autographed Mouse Guard books and a small original drawing. If there is something at the convention not available elsewhere, my husband would be thrilled. He and The Boy are huge fans.

You are a dear to think of us!

• Like 5

Dd's graduation was last night. Afterward, we went out for a very, very late dinner & celebration. Eating so very late at night hyped me up, so I ended up staying up in the middle of the night & finishing Time and Time Again by Ben Elton. I wanted escapist reading & this fit the bill. It moves along at a good pace &, overall, I enjoyed the story. There were a few bits that stood out to me as being 'inauthentic' (as in the action of the character didn't fit what I thought it would/should be). There were also some style changes & sudden shifts that were jarring in the storyline/character & plot development/writing style. I was hoping for a fun ending, but the last few chapters were actually more depressing, sobering, & thought-provoking than the majority of the book had been. I didn't dislike the ending &, realistically, it was probably the best ending for the story, but it was kind-of a downer when I was hoping for something happier or lighter. 3 solid stars.

ETA: I think some of the unevenness comes from the fact that (imo), the author can't decide if this story will be an alternative/historical fiction, a James Bond-ish tale of danger & daring, a flat-out action story (instead of "chick lit" more of a "guy" version), or a dystopian tale. It makes starts into all of these categories, but bumps between them in rather jarring changes of plot & style.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 12

I just finished the contemporary romance Beautiful Sacrifice by Jamie McGuire; it's the third book in a series but it stands alone well.  It was an enjoyable read, but the last quarter of the book was a bit pat.  I don't think it's a book I'll be re-reading.

"Falyn Fairchild can walk away from anything. Already leaving behind her car, her education, and even her parents, the daughter of the next governor of Colorado is back in her hometown, broke and waiting tables for the Bucksaw Café. After every shift, Falyn adds to her shoebox of cash, hoping to one day save enough to buy her a plane ticket to the only place she can find forgiveness: Eakins, Illinois.

The moment Taylor Maddox is seated in Falyn’s section at the Bucksaw, she knows he’s trouble. Taylor is charming, breaks promises, and gorgeous even when covered in filth—making him everything Falyn believes a hotshot firefighter to be. Falyn isn’t interested in becoming another statistic, and for a Maddox boy, a disinterested girl is the ultimate challenge.

Once Falyn learns where Taylor calls home, everything changes. In the end, Maddox persistence is met with Falyn’s talent for leaving, and for the first time, Taylor may be the one to get burned."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

And with the unofficial start to summer happening this weekend, a Kenneth Grahame quote seems timely.

Well, this post just cost me $25.  Very happily spent, I might add.  Now if I can get my dd to calm down and re-focus on her last essay of the year.

• Like 7

It was a lovely day, but a 2h drive from where we are staying.

Bath, Chawton and Winchester are also on our planning

I know Persuasion (of course) and put it on dd's kindle. I don't know the other title, who wrote that?

dd did not find any fossils but lovely other stones.

We stay in Hampshire not in Dorset/Devon.

Lyme Regis is a long trip from where you live I suppose.

But we went to Haworth on our first vacation in the UK.

Being in that town, walking on the moor, it gave so much background.

It seems to me a depressing place to live though.

Remarkable Creatures is by Tracy Chevalier https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6457081-remarkable-creatures?ac=1&from_search=true. I don't remember any particularly adult content scenes but when I found the link in Goodreads discovered that many had put it on their Adult bookshelves. Perhaps you should read it first.....

Lyme Regis is quite aways away but sort of near Isle of Wight which we go to most summers. We always think we might add it on on the way home but never do partly because we like to stop and watch the horses in the New Forest.

Haworth has been a planned meet location with a good friend who lives near there. We plan it every summer and it never actually happens. I think we have driven through unknowingly (until after) a couple of times. I know it's a former mining village. They aren't romantic generally. There is supposed to be a lovely moor footpath from the parsonage to a pub with good food per my friend, which is why we want to go with her. ;) Maybe this summer.

This afternoon I got into the car with dh for what was supposed to be a two hour drive with some errands in the middle. I grabbed my kindle reader on the way out the door and later discovered it hadn't been updated in over a week. Totally my fault. I spent my afternoon rejecting books on my list knowing I had some great stuff at home. Due to an accident/road closure we sat for over an hour. I won't make that mistake again!

• Like 10

Ladies, I'm heading out again. This time it's to MegaCon in Orlando (sci-fi convention). It's easier though not cheaper for us to just stay in Orlando through the convention, so we'll be gone from Thurs. to Sun. Ds is going all 4 days but I'm only going on Friday. That should leave me some time to read although other moms and I will be playing board games as well. And the hotel has a wonderful pool so I expect to get some pool time in too.

My Kindle is loaded with everything I even might want to read. 

I finished Angela's Ashes yesterday and loved it. I didn't realize it was controversial until I finished it and did some googling. I can understand the anger because it certainly stereotypes the Irish, but I try to remember this is his story as seen through his eyes as a child. I also knew people growing up in an Irish-Italian-American family that allowed me to understand many of the characters and also to know that they were realistic.

• Like 11

Remarkable Creatures is by Tracy Chevalier https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6457081-remarkable-creatures?ac=1&from_search=true. I don't remember any particularly adult content scenes but when I found the link in Goodreads discovered that many had put it on their Adult bookshelves. Perhaps you should read it first.....

I agree with the bolded but on looking back to see how old loesje's dd was, I probably wouldn't recommend it without pre-reading.  Everyone's 13 yo is different  ;) I probably wouldn't have handed it over to my 13 yo.  Well, neither of my dd's at 13 would have enjoyed it. :D     

Though it has been a while, I don't remember anything explicit in Remarkable Creatures.  There was one s*x scene but it was short and really didn't tell/show  much about what was going on.  

• Like 8

I am finally beginning to finish some of the books that I have been reading.  It is unusual for me to have so many going at one time!  Sunday night I finished Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings.  I have been so tired lately, too tired to read, that it's not surprising that the first thing I've finished in weeks is another audio book.  I enjoy how this book brings so much together in the first series.  Though I knew how it was going to end and what was going to happen, it is still as much fun getting there as the first dozen or more times lol.  I do really wish my family would read these.  I've spent quite a bit of time in the last two years delving into the books they really wanted me to read.  I think it's time they reciprocate!

Though it has taken me months, I have finished Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.  It took me a while only because it was so deep that I needed no distractions while reading it.  Taking it in small chunks also helped me to process what I read.  I enjoyed discussing this with Aly and her co-op class.  I didn't always agree with Lewis, which is to be expected.  He is after all just a man.  I found, however, that I could relate to many of his illustrations.  He explained things in a down to earth way that was completely understandable.  Some difficult topics were covered in such a conversational tone that I was able to look at them from a whole new perspective.  It was truly an excellent book, one I would recommend.

• Like 11

The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree by Susan Wittig Albert was a fun cozy mystery that I finished this afternoon!  I rarely read books set in the early 1900's, but I found this book truly delightful.  Set in 1930, the Darling Dahlias are members of a Garden Club in Darling, Alabama.  When a young woman is killed, the Dahlias band together to try and figure out what really happened.  I enjoyed reading about small town life in the 30's.  I could easily picture my Grandad's house as it was when I was growing up, and my aunt's could easily have been part of the club itself!  And the author also had lovely descriptions of the food and some recipes in the back of the book.  One of the gals in the story was reading a new mystery, "The Secret of the Old Clock."  I actually had to look it up and see if Nancy Drew was really written in the 30's!! 

Quote:  "She had already read every single one of the detective novels the Darling Library had on its shelves (not a great many - it was a small library) and was reading the best ones for the second and third time.  But that didn't spoil the pleasure, for it was her opinion that a good novel, especially a good mystery, deserved more than one reading."

• Like 9

I've finished several books and still have an "actively reading" stack of half a dozen more. 

Swift Justice (Bob White Birder Murder Mystery #6) – Jan Dunlap. My spouse and I are enjoying this series immensely as it ties right into our family obsession of birding.

Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia #4) – Ann B. Ross. I've probably said this before, but this series is the funniest read; it's based on small town North Carolina life and features a pillar of society who, following her husband's death, casts social "shoulds" to the winds and does what she wants for the first time in her life. This particular book had me laughing out loud.

Christmas Cookie Murder (Lucy Stone, #6) – Leslie Meier. A fun, cozy read. I'm working my way through this series, based in small town New England. 

Pigs in Heaven – Barbara Kingsolver. A sequel to Kingsolver's Bean Tree... Generally well written (though it gets bogged down in a place or two), with good character depth.

4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple #8) – Agatha Christie. Another good mystery from that top writer of intrigue... Totally unexpected ending...

To Dwell in Peace: An Autobiography – Daniel Berrigan. I finally finished Berrigan's autobiography, though 30 years have passed since he wrote it and he just recently died. It was generally a fascinating read of his participation in the peace movements of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I have more books of his on my "to read" list, as well as a book or two of his brother, Philip.

I'm currently reading another birder mystery, another Miss Julia book (just came through on Overdrive!), Gareth Knight's The Magical World of the Inklings, C.S. Lewis's Narnia (with DS), May Sarton's novel, The Magnificent Spinster, Fredrica Harris Thompsett's history of women's ordination in the Episcopal Church (Looking Forward, Looking Backward: 40 Years of Women's Ordination), along with SWB's HAW.

Last night I finished a historical romance that I quite enjoyed ~ 

Fortune Favors the Wicked (Royal Rewards) by Theresa Romain

It featured a hero who is blind (according to the author he was modeled on a man who became blind as a young man, traveled the world, and wrote a book of his adventures) and a heroine who is a courtesan.

"As a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, Benedict Frost had the respect of every man on board--and the adoration of the women in every port. When injury ends his naval career, the silver-tongued libertine can hardly stomach the boredom. Not after everything--and everyone--he's experienced. Good thing a new adventure has just fallen into his lap…

When courtesan Charlotte Perry learns the Royal Mint is offering a reward for finding a cache of stolen gold coins, she seizes the chance to build a new life for herself. As the treasure hunt begins, she realizes her tenacity is matched only by Benedict's--and that sometimes adversaries can make the best allies. But when the search for treasure becomes a discovery of pleasure, they'll be forced to decide if they can sacrifice the lives they've always dreamed of for a love they've never known…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I agree with the bolded but on looking back to see how old loesje's dd was, I probably wouldn't recommend it without pre-reading.  Everyone's 13 yo is different  ;) I probably wouldn't have handed it over to my 13 yo.  Well, neither of my dd's at 13 would have enjoyed it. :D     

Though it has been a while, I don't remember anything explicit in Remarkable Creatures.  There was one s*x scene but it was short and really didn't tell/show  much about what was going on.  

Belgic YA adult novels are pretty explicite, but she can't handle problems from an adult pov (yet).

I read 2 Chevaliers so far, and dd need a little bit more maturity imo

nevertheless I can read the book myself :)

Lyme Regis is quite aways away but sort of near Isle of Wight which we go to most summers. We always think we might add it on on the way home but never do partly because we like to stop and watch the horses in the New Forest.

Haworth has been a planned meet location with a good friend who lives near there. We plan it every summer and it never actually happens. I think we have driven through unknowingly (until after) a couple of times. I know it's a former mining village. They aren't romantic generally. There is supposed to be a lovely moor footpath from the parsonage to a pub with good food per my friend, which is why we want to go with her. ;) Maybe this summer.

This afternoon I got into the car with dh for what was supposed to be a two hour drive with some errands in the middle. I grabbed my kindle reader on the way out the door and later discovered it hadn't been updated in over a week. Totally my fault. I spent my afternoon rejecting books on my list knowing I had some great stuff at home. Due to an accident/road closure we sat for over an hour. I won't make that mistake again!

O what terrible? for you!

We walked the path from the parsonage to the moor, but just a small part on the moor was accesible in the time because of the foot and mouth desease?

A lot was closed, we had to desinfect our walkingshoes and clean the car wheels. The day in Haworth was also fogged / fogly? But the moor was impressive.

Where do you stop in the New Forest for the ponys?

So far we have seen mostly deer on our road (near the deer sanctuary)

Today we saw Winchester Cathedral

I can't get the photo on the board.

Tomorrow to Chawton (Jane Austen museum + walk + afternoon tea) :)

• Like 8

Just finished the first title in the mystery series set in Amish Ohio which I mentioned last week. It was available on Overdrive and I had lots of time to read while in final rehearsals for a high school production, so I read it in a few days.  Well. I'm glad I started the series with a later book because I don't think I would have continued with it after Sworn to Silence. It has everything I hate in a crime book -- graphic descriptions of bodies left by a sadistic r@pist/serial killer, with two protagonists who are each damaged from traumatic events earlier in their lives.  Nobody goes rogue, but the climax of the story is too obvious with the killer (who I spotted early on) putting our heroine in danger.  The writing is fine, and the elements of a good mystery series are there, but the gentle readers among us might not want to start with this one.  I was reading it on my phone and swiped past many long gruesome passages!  (And felt guilty reading such disturbing stuff in the midst of a youth musical!) 

This high school production is going to gobble large chunks of my life through Sunday, but at least I've got a good audiobook to keep me company on the long commute to and from the theater.  Dawn of Wonder is a newish (published last year) epic fantasy filled with all the usual tropes but is very well done and a whole lot of fun.  Summer around here just isn't summer without a new epic fantasy to enjoy!

Of course I still have 5-6 unfinished books laying around the house, and a nice dusty stack too.  I have no business stopping by the library to pick up a new mystery before today's shows... 

• Like 8

Belgic YA adult novels are pretty explicite, but she can't handle problems from an adult pov (yet).

I read 2 Chevaliers so far, and dd need a little bit more maturity imo

nevertheless I can read the book myself :)

O what terrible? for you!

We walked the path from the parsonage to the moor, but just a small part on the moor was accesible in the time because of the foot and mouth desease?

A lot was closed, we had to desinfect our walkingshoes and clean the car wheels. The day in Haworth was also fogged / fogly? But the moor was impressive.

Where do you stop in the New Forest for the ponys?

So far we have seen mostly deer on our road (near the deer sanctuary)

Today we saw Winchester Cathedral

I can't get the photo on the board.

Tomorrow to Chawton (Jane Austen museum + walk + afternoon tea) :)

We normally drive through the New Forest on our way to Lymington for the ferry to Isle of Wight. We have had pony sightings pretty much the entire length of the A337. There are generally several near a town which i think is called Lyndhurst. They are just standing on green spaces on the way into town normally. We also always see them by a stable called Burghley. There are fenced in horses which are not wild but there is a stream by the stables and there should be wild horses around the banks, also a place to park. We have had Donkey sightings too, no pigs. Interesting fact, the pigs are released to eat acorns which can be poisonous to the ponies.

http://www.newforestliving.co.uk/blog/2013/09/02/new-forest-wildlife/

Have fun tomorrow! :)

On the book front not much reading took place today. I did finish the third Jim Butcher audio book. The fourth isn't available so I have downloaded a Frances Brody Kate Shackleton book to listen to next.

• Like 4

Some interesting bookish posts ~

How Novels Came to Be Written in the Voice of Coins, Stuffed Animals and Other Random Objects by Linda Rodriguez McRobbie

"The most popular novel of 1760 England was an episodic narrative of the observations of a mind-reading coin imbued with the very spirit of gold itself.

Largely forgotten today, Chrysal, or the Adventures of a Guinea thrilled contemporary readers with “Views of several striking Scenesâ€, an insider’s account of the scandalous doings of the “most Noted Persons in every Rank of Lifeâ€, and tales from the gold mines of Peru, the streets of London, the canals of Amsterdam, the ports of the Caribbean, and the front lines of the Great War. Despite Chrysal’s tendency to lapse into somewhat exhaustingly florid language, readers loved it—the book went through five print runs in just three years, 20 before the century was out. In 1765, author Charles Johnstone, a failed barrister who would later forge a career as a journalist in Calcutta, produced an expanded four-volume edition, also a best seller...."

The burning question of the day ~ Violet Crown, have you read Chrysal?

Genre Kryptonite: I Will Read Your Diary by Rachel Weber

"There is something irresistible about reading some else’s diary. I’m terrible at keeping one, always far too frightened to commit my terrible daily secrets (“and then I ate Ranch sauce straight out of the bottleâ€) to paper for fear of later humiliation, but I love seeing those same mundane details when they come from someone else’s brain. I’m all for poetic and prophetic wonderings but what I really want is details. What did you have for supper that night? Did you sleep well? Was it raining?

I still remember, with a little shame, my first childhood reading of Anne Frank’s diary. Our teachers wanted us to focus on the injustices stomping their furious feet just outside Anne’s door, I was swept up in the minutiae of family life and squabbles, even if those squabbles happened in an attic...."

Top 10 fictional houses with personality by Tom Easton

"The houses (or homes) we live in are such an important part of who we are, whether or not we actually like them. And houses can have different personalities. They are not just the stage upon which the acts of our lives are played out, but perhaps, at times they can be characters in their own right.

In my new book, Our House, the house itself is just such a character. It talks, groans, grumbles, sings and sighs. It also locks people in or out from time to time. It has gloomy, cold parts and warm, comfortable parts. The main character, Chloe, is unsure about the house at first, but as time goes on she becomes to understand the house is a part of her family, for better or worse.

In assembling this list, I’ve tried to choose houses which themselves seem to have a personality which affects the story."

Small Beer to Publish 400-Year-Old SF Novel by Judith Rosen

"A decade after John Crowley, best known for Little, Big, first queried Small Beer Press about publishing a 400-year-old science fiction novel, his English-language version of Johannes Valentines Andreae's The Chemical Wedding (1616) is scheduled for this fall. The original book (Chymische Hochzeit Christiani Rosencreutz anno 1459) was written in German and set in the 1400s.

Crowley--whose final book in his Aegypt quartet, Endless Things, was published by Small Beer--claims that Chemical Wedding holds a unique distinction as the world's first science fiction novel, nosing out Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (1818) by a couple centuries."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I read Stoner - 5 Stars - This book blew me away. I was skeptical and really didn’t think that I would care for it much at all. I thought that it would be one of those books that I would likely abandon. This is not an uplifting book, but it does make you want to appreciate and love life more than ever, and to value the things that should matter the most. It first left me sobbing and later, thinking for the longest while. 

9781590171998.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

I open with a post that Negin made last year, a post that led me to put Stoner on my TBR list. 

Note:  the introduction to the NYRB anniversary edition of Stoner was written by John McGahern, the author of Amongst Women and an author who would not have been on my radar had it not been for Eliana--whom we all miss dreadfully!

MMV chimed with a post of quotes and comments found here.

Maybe a negative review of Stoner would be helpful? :D

I read it last year because it was a huge hit in the Netherlands at that time. Actually my parents had read it and were wondering what all the fuss was, so they asked me to read it too. We were all 'meh'. Could have been the translation as we read it in Dutch. It could have been too American, I don't know. If you would have asked me then I would probably have told you that I thought I was too young to appreciate it (which doesn't explain my 75+yo parents not liking it :lol:), but I don't think Negin and I are that far apart in age. Maybe I just read to many somber books in a row, I think it was the same month I read The Bell Jar and Herzog.

Tress brings up something that is quite interesting, that fifty years after its initial publication, Stoner was a hit in the Netherlands--well much of Europe--while many Americans had not heard of the novel. 

Stoner is a downer of a book.  Both Stacia and I immediately expressed interest after Negin's comment so I earmarked my copy for Stacia.  I'm sending it your way, dear friend, but this is not the escapist literature that you need right now.  Stoner is a tale of an American stoic--as opposed to the oft told tales of American optimists.  It is beautifully written and perhaps a "true" American tale of a quiet man who trudges through the disappointments life brings. 

I am glad I read this book.  Thanks Negin and all for bringing it to my attention.

• Like 5

Top 10 fictional houses with personality by Tom Easton

"The houses (or homes) we live in are such an important part of who we are, whether or not we actually like them. And houses can have different personalities. They are not just the stage upon which the acts of our lives are played out, but perhaps, at times they can be characters in their own right."."

Regards,

Kareni

I open with a post that Negin made last year, a post that led me to put Stoner on my TBR list. 

Note:  the introduction to the NYRB anniversary edition of Stoner was written by John McGahern, the author of Amongst Women and an author who would not have been on my radar had it not been for Eliana--whom we all miss dreadfully!

MMV chimed with a post of quotes and comments found here.

Tress brings up something that is quite interesting, that fifty years after its initial publication, Stoner was a hit in the Netherlands--well much of Europe--while many Americans had not heard of the novel. 

Stoner is a downer of a book. ... Stoner is a tale of an American stoic--as opposed to the oft told tales of American optimists.  It is beautifully written and perhaps a "true" American tale of a quiet man who trudges through the disappointments life brings. 

I am glad I read this book.  Thanks Negin and all for bringing it to my attention.

(whot!  multiquote!  won't let this go to my head)

Thanks for the clickbait 10 Fictional Houses Kareni!  You post such interesting (read:  I probably won't get around to it but I remain interested nonetheless) books that you've read, but as an architect who loves to read, I found that list fairly representative.  I would add a few more...but My Family and Other Animals is probably our favorite ever read-aloud. 

And Stoner was never on my radar but I do adore books revived by NYRB.  I was wondering if it was in the vein of Babbitt or the scads of sad working corporate dads in Cheever or Updike or Richard Yates.  Granted most of those I list are satires or at least noddingly making fun of their subjects.  I am always down for a tragedy though :lol:

But:  I was writing to say I did a quick search on my minuscule Overdrive selection and I think I overdid it.  Four books came up that I'd spied for future reading, figuring that they'd never hit my library's wee list.  I am a pig! I tell you.  (Actually what we do is I put them on the family cloud, add books that dd wants to read, then we download all the books to each.  Then we turn the Airport mode on.  So if one of the books on our long Wish List list shows up...we can sacrifice the content on one of the Kindles to retrieve it.  We also, immediately after downloading/turning wifi off, return the books so nobody's waiting in vain.)  Laundry will pile up and I will lose some sleep now :D

• Like 6

Stoner is a downer of a book.  Both Stacia and I immediately expressed interest after Negin's comment so I earmarked my copy for Stacia.  I'm sending it your way, dear friend, but this is not the escapist literature that you need right now.  Stoner is a tale of an American stoic--as opposed to the oft told tales of American optimists.  It is beautifully written and perhaps a "true" American tale of a quiet man who trudges through the disappointments life brings. 

Jane, you're most welcome and I'm happy to hear that you liked it. Yes, this is certainly not an upbeat book and it's certainly not for everyone. Few books are! 

• Like 7

I finished listening to The Invention of Nature. I really enjoyed it. Even though I've been working in ecology for many years, and I live in a state with multiple things named "Humboldt" from counties to bays to state parks to rivers to schools,  I had never really even heard of Alexander von Humboldt.  It was fascinating to read about the man, his time, those who influenced him and those he influenced. And it was mind-boggling to realize how prescient he was, how much he created the current holistic view of nature (held by some) and predicted so many of the ecological collapses that we are now experiencing.  

I then immediately started listening to Pacific by Simon Winchester. I like his audios, read by the author. It looks to be another completely fascinating book. He's a favorite nonfiction/science & history writer.

I'm also reading The Song of Achilles, told from the POV of Patroclus.  Very interesting so far. Probably a little to graphic for dd, but I am enjoying it.

• Like 6

Seconding this! Very glad Negin brought this book to my attention. I have several other John Edward Williams books on my TBR list now.

• Like 6

I just finished Down Among the Dead Men by Patricia Moyes. It is an Inspector Henry Tibbet mystery. The whole story takes place in a context of a sailing vacation based in a small English river town. There is lots of nauticalese. (Is that a word?)

My next book is So Big by Edna Ferber, for my IRL book club. It's the winner of a Pulitzer Prize.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 5

Holiday weekend wave to all!

Yesterday I went to the beach with my chair, book and wide brimmed hat. Stacia sent A Dark Redemption, Stav Sherez's crime novel set in the London diaspora where a Ugandan student has been murdered. I have been immediately drawn in by the investigators and the overall situation.

Looks like we will be regularly checking weather forecasts for the rest of the weekend.  There is a tropical depression off of the Carolina coast although I think SC is taking the brunt of this one.  Given that tropical storms have minds of their own, we'll keep watch.

In the meantime, I should probably get out for a bike ride before the rains arrive!

• Like 7

Months ago (in winter when it was very cold) we saw a small Siamese cat hiding outside under our sunroom. Very skittish, obviously starving. Of course I started feeding her. Over time, she got a little braver but would still come nowhere near me. Eventually, ds & I spent hours one (very, very cold) evening working to lure her into our sunroom so at least she would be in a safe place (a large hawk had been eyeing her the previous day) that would be warmer, etc.... It has taken months of work still to get her to be less skittish & I can now pet her. We've kept her separated from our other cats, etc... until we could get her to a vet & checked out & so on. We named her Yuki.

My sister traps & releases feral cats (after getting them their shots, spaying/neutering, etc...) routinely. Since she is in town for my dd's graduation, I asked if she might help me get Yuki in a cage & to the vet. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister was able to scruff her & get her in the cage. Yuki apparently went nuts & acted completely wild once caged. My sister warned the vet staff but the vet techs just laughed it off, said it would be ok, blah, blah. My sister told them she routinely works with feral cats & from her knowledge, they needed to be careful.

And they took Yuki in the back, pooh-poohing my sister's advice.

When they came back in the room where my sister & dd were waiting, told them they had renamed Yuki....

I now introduce you to Hannibal Lector :lol: .

She is sooo beautiful... Though I'm sure the vet didn't think so at the time.

• Like 6

Holiday weekend wave to all!

Oh yeah -- it's a holiday weekend.

As usual while everyone else is enjoying time off, I'm busy with a low-paying gig and a long commute! But it is a fun production with a talented cast, and lots of friends with me in the pit. I've got food and books packed in my car for a quiet break between shows. 4 more to go today and tomorrow. 

Got to put on some black and head out the door...

• Like 6

Jenn, have fun at all your concerts!

Kathy, enjoy MegaCon!

Jane, thanks for sending Stoner. I look forward too it (even though it may take a bit before I'm ready to tackle the seriousness of it). Hope you continue to enjoy A Dark Redemption. Very few series catch my interest, but Sherez certainly has with his two books. I do hope there will be a third one at some point. Stay safe in the tropical weather. I know my sister is expecting some stuff her way.

I'm about a third of the way through The Palace of Illusions. Thanks, Rose, for the recommendation. Really enjoying it so far. I think it's one my dd might like too. I do wish I were familiar with the Mahabharata (which I know only by name, but not by content) as I think I could appreciate even more facets of this retelling if I did know it. Even in my ignorance of the Mahabharata, The Palace of Illusions is a compelling & entertaining tale.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 4

Jenn, have fun at all your concerts!

Kathy, enjoy MegaCon!

Jane, thanks for sending Stoner. I look forward too it (even though it may take a bit before I'm ready to tackle the seriousness of it). Hope you continue to enjoy A Dark Redemption. Very few series catch my interest, but Sherez certainly has with his two books. I do hope there will be a third one at some point. Stay safe in the tropical weather. I know my sister is expecting some stuff her way.

I'm about a third of the way through The Palace of Illusions. Thanks, Rose, for the recommendation. Really enjoying it so far. I think it's one my dd might like too. I do wish I were familiar with the Mahabharata (which I know only by name, but not by content) as I think I could appreciate even more facets of this retelling if I did know it. Even in my ignorance of the Mahabharata, The Palace of Illusions is a compelling & entertaining tale.

You might enjoy this bit of background - it's just for the Bhagavad Gita, not the whole Mahabharata, but I have found this series really well done:

http://www.learner.org/courses/worldlit/gita/

• Like 4

Stacia, I want to send good thoughts to your sister.  Looks like she might get nailed by this tropical depression.  Not from wind but water!  Still wishing we could send some of this rain to our friends out West.  (The sun is still shining here which is more than I expected of the day.)

Hey Jenn--have fun fiddling this weekend!

• Like 3