Menu

Vacation - Need an idea for dinner for a crowd

ksr5377

So my family is going on vacation with all my siblings and my parents next week.  We have decided that each couple would make dinner for everyone one night, so that way no one got stuck feeding everyone all the time.  Basically we want my mom to get a break =)  Ideas that have already been claimed are Mexican, spaghetti, pulled pork, pizza and grilled Kabobs.  I'm having a hard time coming up with something that I'll feel like making at the beach and that will feed 22 people.  I figured that we'll be doing a lot of grilling for the kids for lunch, so I don't know that I want to grill anything.  Also, salads don't work for this crowd unless it's a side.  The 5 meat and potato loving men would not be happy.

I'd probably go with chili, or maybe bratwurst.  Those are super easy, and you could even make the chili in advance and bring it with you.  For sides with the bratwurst you could do new potatoes with German mustard, and maybe pickled beets or half-cooked spiced cabbage and apples--again, very easy.

Or chicken in wine sauce--that is harder to make but it holds really well on the stove.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Meatball sandwiches -- precooked meatballs in marinara sauce served on french bread with cheese on top.  If you are trying to cut costs you can make your own meatballs, sauce, and/or bread.  If you are trying to save on time all or some of the ingredients can all be purchased.  

• Like 3

Corn chowder is always a hit at our house. If you're feeling fancy, you can do BLTs and corn chowder. Good and easy.

You could do pot roast, too. That's super easy and classic meat and potatoes. Yummy. Add a veggie and/or salad and you'll have a square meal.

• Like 1

What about meatloaf and baked potatoes?  You could use the top rack of the oven for oodles of potatoes and the bottom rack for several meatloaves.  I suggest using a large metal roasting pan and you could make two very large meat loaves side by side.  Maybe some cantaloupe and watermelon wedges and possibly a veggie?

It sounds like fun!

• Like 2

If you are close to the ocean I'd say seafood - a big clam boil, maybe with grilled corn or other veg, and crusty bread.  Or a big pot of clam or fish chowder - if I were feeling ambitious I'd do a bouillabaisse but it would be more work. 

Ham could be very easy - you just put it in the oven and leave it, serve with potato salad and some green salad.  It could give you a lot of lunch leftovers as well.  You can even crock-pot ham if you have one big enough.

You could also do a big pot of curry and serve with rice, or something like a moussaka.

Will they go for a soup, salad, sandwich dinner? I'd do a hearty beef veggie that I can make ahead and freeze, then I just have to add potatoes when I reheat and assemble grilled cheese (or ham n cheese) sandwiches and a salad. I do bulk grilled cheese in the oven.

Also great for making ahead and freezing is a giant tray of enchiladas. I'd do a spicier beef and a milder chicken. While it bakes heat up a few cans of black beans and cook some rice. Make frozen margharitas or sangria. If they don't drink, leave out the alcohol and it's still yummy.

Is this crowd open to breakfast for dinner? You can bake a couple trays of link sausages and keep them warm in a crockpot while you bake some quiche, French toast, and toss a fruit salad. Serve mimosas.

Also, people LOVE a chili bar when they can put the chili over cornmeal waffles. I'd make a beef chili and a white chicken chili at home and freeze it. I'd also make the waffles ahead and freeze them, then bake potatoes and prep toppings while everything reheats. I think you have to serve beer with this.

Also, you can't go wrong with a giant tray of lasagna, salad, and garlic bread. You can have wine with this one.

• Like 1

I would choose something that I could mostly make at home and bring, like sloppy joes, lasagna, or meatloaf that I made ahead but will cook the night it's served.  Yeah, I'd probably do sloppy joes in advance, bring in a large ziploc bag, and toss in a crock pot to reheat.  Served with baked potatoes and something like a fresh fruit salad. And something yummy for dessert. Vacation calls for dessert! 

• Like 1

Ooo I just remembered that at out last family renion we did home-made donairs.  You make the meat at home and then just slice it and heat it there, and make the sauce, and dice tomatoes and onions.  Then everyone wraps it up in a soft pita.

It always seems to be a big hit at parties.

So my family is going on vacation with all my siblings and my parents next week.  We have decided that each couple would make dinner for everyone one night, so that way no one got stuck feeding everyone all the time.  Basically we want my mom to get a break =)  Ideas that have already been claimed are Mexican, spaghetti, pulled pork, pizza and grilled Kabobs.  I'm having a hard time coming up with something that I'll feel like making at the beach and that will feed 22 people.  I figured that we'll be doing a lot of grilling for the kids for lunch, so I don't know that I want to grill anything.  Also, salads don't work for this crowd unless it's a side.  The 5 meat and potato loving men would not be happy.

I adore cooking a ton of hindquarters either in a roaster or in the oven.  You can also toss a few whole chickens in the roaster.  Along with that, I'd just steam frozen veggies and have a salad and bread.  It's easy, it doesn't have to be babysat, and it's cheap.  :)  

Do you own or have access to a roaster? As in a nesco kind of thing?

I love putting a whole , well seasoned , turkey in one those big guy roasters. Easy and doesn't have to heat up the house as you can plug it in anywhere. I put it in my porch. I serve with a big salad and loaves of garlic bread.

• Like 1