Menu

When, exactly, would you consider a student to have graduated HS?

First, the short version: 

Is it (a) when all of the required course work has been completed and acceptable grades have been released, or (b) when the graduation ceremony (attendance at which is not a requirement of graduation) is held, and diplomas are distributed to attendees?  (A) occurs over two weeks before (b).

This is a real situation; $3500 depends on the answer.  I, of course, think it is (a)is that really such an off-the-wall opinion?  I'm getting whatever is the emailed version of being looked at as if I've sprouted an extra head.

Student is enrolled in a public HS but took all of her classes this year at a four-year U; that's why she completed graduation requirements so far in advance of the ceremony, which she will not attend.  Local regulations do not seem to address this situation.  Soooo, am I really so off base with this one?

ETA:  as for the long version--it's really long and boring; I'm deleting it because no one could possibly care but me.

Edited again to clarify that (a) happened before (b).

Edited by plansrme

Well, I graduated my first two kids even though they still had a few things to finish up. I'm graduating my ds#3 next weekend even though he still has things to finish up. I attended a graduation party this evening for a CC grad (AA degree) who is graduating tomorrow, yet she has to take one more class this summer. So I'm saying choice B, even though I know many will disagree with me.

Would you say so if (a), completion of course work and release of grades, happened BEFORE (b), the diploma distribution?  Because that is my situation--course work has been completed, and grades have been released.  "They" are arguing that she will not be a high school graduate until (b), when diplomas are handed out to the rest of the Class of 2016.  Attendance at the ceremony is not mandatory, and she will not be there.  The last credit she needed for graduation was taken through DE (all of her class work was this year), which is why she finished a couple of weeks earlier than the rest of her class.

I think this was probably clearer when I had a longer (but more boring) post.  

Students have to be officially graduated from the school.  If the school says that doesn't happen until a certain date, then that's the date.  Generally, that's the end of a semester.  If the school's semester hasn't ended yet, she hasn't graduated, even if she did take all her coursework at the university. 

That said, I would explain the situation to whomever is the holder of that $3500 that is on the line, and ask them to consider her for the scholarship/award/grant/whatever, as her coursework is completely finished, even though she won't officially be graduated from the high school until June.  The worst they can say is no, but they might still consider her application along with her college transcript. 

• Like 2

I don't know about high school graduation in the US. However for college first degree graduation and postgrad "completion" the US employers that hubby and I worked for wanted to wait for the official scroll and graduation date before adjusting the pay. We did get backdated bonus though from the day we started. So let us say we start work in June but the scroll is given in August, the pay adjustment is in August with two months of backdated pay difference.

So if my kids were to attend a public or private school (which they want to), I would go by the date the diploma is awarded.

ETA:

It was a $300 per month difference 20 years ago from my finishing my final exams and getting the official high school diploma. So I got something like $1200 "bonus" when the official document came in. Hubby had a pay adjustment of more than $10k when his postgrad official confirmation came in and a nice "backpay bonus".

Edited by Arcadia

In a homeschooling situation, I'd pick whichever date worked in my/the student's favor. However, since the student is enrolled in public school, then I think the "graduation date" is whatever date they have set. 

I actually "graduated" before my requirements were all met. My high school graduation date was in early June, but I took two classes in summer school to complete my degree a year early. They just considered my "graduation date" contingent on successful completion of those classes.

I think you can put forth a good argument for the earlier date if that's in your favor, and try to talk to someone in person to see what you can do about it...but I'm not sure they'll have a vehicle for changing the date for one student. Bureaucracies are difficult in these types of situations--but I'd sure try to plead my case with that much money at stake.

Technically if she has completed her courses and got her grades, then I say she has graduated. However, as others have posted, if she has gone through the school, then I can see where her grad date would be what the school has set. I wouldn't be afraid to explain the situation to those involved though!

I really believe it is the day the school has set.  Our seniors are totally finished with classes a week before graduation - they don't even have to show up on some days and just have graduation practice or a senior class trip on other days.  They are not considered graduates until after graduation even if they don't attend the ceremony.  Their diplomas all have that date on them.

Even here at college - same thing.  My guy has been done with all of his classes before Finals Week even began.  His grades have been published.  Graduation was yesterday.  Those going ROTC made note that yesterday is the day they were officially officers because they needed that diploma.  

I think even students who don't attend ceremonies get their degree conferred at that ceremony when the school says they confer it.  Kids from our school who don't attend can pick up their diploma anytime afterward.  It's still dated Graduation Day - even if they pick it up a week later.

I can see taking that stance when dealing with a brick and mortar school.  There are things that can happen between the completion of classes and the graduation ceremony that can cause the school to withhold the diploma.  Not saying this would be your case AT ALL, but behavior problems, owed money, unexpected information about a test, grade miscommunication have all lead to a school withholding graduation.  From that standpoint, it would be kind of like counting your chickens before they've hatched.  It is rare that it happens, but it has happened.  

My oldest has a projected graduation date of 03 June 2018, although I expect all of his work to really be completed by 12 May.  The 3 June will be the "official" date.  I'm trying to finish up most of his school work early because (a) we could be moving back to the states at that point (b) he is applying to at least 2 military academies, and I know I day is usually the very beginning of July for Navy, and I'd LIKE for him to have some real time-off, if he gets in and attends.  

For a truly homeschooled student: whenever they have finished my requirements.

For a student involved in any type of school: whenever the school declares official graduation date - which would likely be the day of the ceremony.

As soon as I enroll my kid in any type of school, I relinquish my right to call the shots and have to play by their rules.

So, in your situation, I assume you'd have to go by the rules of the school.

• Like 2

For a truly homeschooled student: whenever they have finished my requirements.

For a student involved in any type of school: whenever the school declares official graduation date - which would likely be the day of the ceremony.

As soon as I enroll my kid in any type of school, I relinquish my right to call the shots and have to play by their rules.

So, in your situation, I assume you'd have to go by the rules of the school.

I agree with Regentrude.  The graduation date is when the school confers the diploma, not the day when all of the requirements for the diploma are met.  

If this is a matter of a scholarship, then it sounds like there is a disconnect between the scholarship requirements and the date of graduation in your area.  I would ask the high school for a letter stating that all requirements have been met and that the student will graduation on date xyz.  They I would ask the scholarship group to accept this as meeting their requirements.  

• Like 1

For us, the graduation date is the date I set on my student's transcript and diploma. I had my dd choose the date before she applied to colleges and applied for summer jobs. As a side note, that day is today! So, my first one is now officially graduated.

• Like 3

In an institutional setting, the graduation date is not just about completing coursework, it's about the institution going through and ensuring that each student has all of the required pieces to graduate.  Because of this, sometimes the piece of paper given to students at graduation isn't an actual diploma--the actual diploma is mailed to the student later when everything has been buttoned up.

So, in your situation, if your student is enrolled at a public high school, the date of graduation is whatever day they say it is.  You could say something like "High School Diploma, June 2016, expected."  When I was working in a lab that hired a lot of recent grads, this notation was very common to find on resumes (though in that case it was a bachelor's degree that was expected).

It's so unique.  What benefits your student the most?  DS could, technically, have graduated this May.  It wasn't to his advantage.  We are taking advantage of more dual enrolled classes, building his transcript more, and aiming for higher ACTs in hopes of maximizing his financial aid package.  He also really wants one more year of Mock.  To be honest, Mock was the pivot and everything else was the perk.  This is my particular student.  Looking back, I would I have played this differently for oldest DD and graduated her earlier and sent her to CC.  Each child is different as is their particular situation.  Horrible answer, isn't it?

Drat, nm.  I didn't realize we weren't talking about a homeschool student.  I would do whatever was necessary to keep/attain scholarships unless money is of zero necessity.

Edited by BlsdMama