Menu

Let's talk about anxiety and panic attacks

Happy

I could use some advice. My 25 year old son is having anxiety attacks. He lives in another city, alone. A few weeks ago he went through an ugly work situation, but got another job very quickly. All seemed good.

A couple of weeks ago, he called us in the wee hours of the morning in the midst of a panic attack. Very upset, couldn't move, couldn't catch his breath. Very scary. DH talked him through it and all seemed better. We all talked about how this might be 'fallout' from the ugly work situation and thought we were through the worst.

Now he seems to have these attacks often. He woke up this morning in despair...so I'm seeing this circling around in his head and either becoming depression and fear or uncovering what was already there. For what it's worth, this guy has never shown any tendency toward depression. Our other son has, so we know what depression can look like. This is so odd for this son.

I'm a big DIY person...when I've had episodes similar to this, I've worked through them with exercise, changing the channel on my thoughts, comfort foods, and sometimes journaling. We've recommended these things, along with singing out loud, for him to try. He seems to be stuck.

Are we being naïve about this situation? Do we need to get him to a doctor of some sort?

Any wise or encouraging thoughts?

I'd investigate to see if he's recently started or stopped any medication (I had something similar happen and it was due to a switch in brand of oral contraceptive).

But after that, given that his DIY resources are currently not working, I really think this is something where I would start seeing a counselor now before it spirals out of control. If it resolves quickly with the stress from the work situation off, he can always quit going. 

Edited by kiana
  • Like 4

He might benefit from going to a therapist who can show him various techniques for dealing with the episodes.  So it doesn't mean he has to go on medication if that is what you are worried about. 

There is one a therapist told me about that I didn't try, but a lot of people claim it works.  It's called Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR).  Lots of stuff out there on the Internet about it.

• Like 1

For example, I have taken stuff for sleep for years. I started getting depressed. Then I went to a new doctor who told me that long term use of the sleep meds can cause depression. Some allergy meds can cause anxiety too.

Yeah I thought about this too.  Even if he is drinking a lot of coffee or soda and then not sleeping well, that after awhile can make a person feel pretty crazy.

• Like 2

This is a long shot, but does he have any dietary issues?  My DH is gluten free and I've met so many people the last year and half that have to be gluten free for other reasons besides digestive issues.  I met someone that has major panic anxiety attacks if they are on gluten.  Another person leaves gluten out of their diet because of sinus issues.  Then I met a woman at the beach that has migraines if she consumes it.  

Just a thought because I'm the type of person that would rather try the natural route first before going on meds etc...

Hope he feels better soon.  That's such a terrible feeling.

• Like 3

Thank you all!

He takes allergy meds and lives on soda.

I had not thought of food allergies at all.

Doctor's appointment coming soon...

OHHH Allergy meds!!  Which one?

I can't take some of them at all.  Zyrtec, for example, gives me crazy nightmares.  Allegra makes me feel like crawling out of my skin. 

That could definitely be a cause. 

• Like 1

My husband also can no longer take Zyrtec. It was making him feel very off, psychologically. I would suggest weaning off soda too. Especially if they are caffeinated.

When I had horrible panic attacks during post partum depression, I taught my self to think of them as waves on a beach. When I felt one coming , I wouldn't try to fight it but would stop everything, find a place to sit or lie down and just allow it to wash over me and rode it out, knowing that it wouldn't last. This eventually helped helped shorten the duration and lessen the severity. However, if the cause is from something he's putting in his body, that may not be any help.

ETA: I was still on medication for a few months.

Edited by Onceuponatime

OHHH Allergy meds!!  Which one?

I can't take some of them at all.  Zyrtec, for example, gives me crazy nightmares.  Allegra makes me feel like crawling out of my skin. 

That could definitely be a cause. 

Yup. I love zyrtec but it makes my daughter insane. Like, ranting, raving, crying, crazy person. It's a common side effect for some people. 

Or, did he recently take something that also had a decongestant in it? Anything with sudafed (any "D" medication) could cause rapid heart rate, anxiety symptoms, etc. 

If he's having regular panic attacks, he needs to see a doctor. You can go around in circles all day trying to figure out if it's dietary, some kind of OTC med, environmental, etc., but in the meantime he needs some kind of treatment or things will only escalate. If he's being woken up at night by anxiety, the lack of sleep is going to make the anxiety worse. It's a vicious cycle. (One I'm very familiar with. ;) ) A low dose of an as needed anti-anxiety med can help him function until he figures out what's going on.

• Like 7

Before completely going the medication route, he needs to get off the soda and probably reduce the amount of caffeine he consumes. Some people are highly sensitive to caffeine.I have a LOT of anxiety (panic, worry, can't sleep, etc.) if I have coffee even 2 days in a row, so I switched to caffeinated tea once a day. This helped tremendously. Also I take a pharmaceutical grade magnesium supplement. (pure encapsulations magnesium citrate 2 at breakfast and lunch and one InterPlexus Furamag after dinner)

PP is right allergies or even food sensitivities can cause a whole myriad of issues, especially gluten. Some medical doctors poopoo the idea of natural medicine so its good to be aware of that. I can tell you though, my ASD child has seen tremendous improvements seeing a naturopathic doctor.

• Like 2

Thank you all!

He takes allergy meds and lives on soda.

I had not thought of food allergies at all.

Doctor's appointment coming soon...

I would absolutly see a therapist and a Dr ASAP. At a minimum he need the therapist to help him with some techniques he can use to help himself. I would also see a dr just to check him out, medications etc.

As for the food allergies I agree they can sometimes be a problem, but, at least for us, it wasn't something that just started happening. One of my children cannot eat corn. If he eats any amount of corn he get depressed/anxiety attacks. He used to cry over the smallest thing. Every. Single. Day. He had panick attacks starting at 6 months old etc. off the corn he is a totally different boy. When we talk about something from when he was younger he will say "I was mentally unstable back then."

• Like 1

If he decides to go non Rx first, seek out a therapist who does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It would be about 10-12 sessions. It's solution focused and very concrete - no feelings or tell me about your mother stuff  ;) 

But I'd definitely seek out a professional and get a proper diagnosis & then decide on a treatment plan. 

• Like 2

If he were my son I'd want him to see a doctor or therapist as soon as possible.  IME once that type of anxiety shows up DIY fixes are rarely totally effective.  And I'd want to do everything I could to nip it in the bud quickly.

A doctor AND a therapist.

Having "DYI" as a default for anxiety (or depression, or a multitude of other mental illness) is like DYIing cancer, diabetes, or Crohns.

• Like 3

A lot of things are getting mixed up in the OP. Anxiety is not Panic Attacks, and neither of them are depression. He could have co-morbidities and it could be caffeine or medicine or something, but at the end of the day the take-away is that he needs to see some people to hash it all out.

I am/was dealing with panic attacks as well as anxiety.  There are many many things that potentially trigger them.  Food, stress, medications, sleep deprivation, hormones, messed up breathing, allergies, low vitamin B, low vitamin D are just a few.  Stress can be subtle, sleep can be insufficient inspite of sleeping through the night.  Some he can rule out himself, if he knows he doesn't consume alcohol, he obviously knows that is not the reason but he really should see a doctor and a therapist.  The doctor needs to take this seriously; unfortunately many blow off anxiety and panic attacks.  In my case I knew that stress was a contributor but everything else checked out fine.  Nevertheless, my doctor recommended vitamin B12 which made a big difference even though test levels were fine.  He sent me to CBT which was another very helpful experience.  I never realized that because of the stress my breathing patterns had changed and I was constantly holding my breath which deprived my body of oxygen which caused/increased heart palpitations which induced panic attacks.  It was a rather vicious cycle.  Things improved dramatically with those two interventions but did not completely solve them.  Two weeks ago I went to my current doctor for a sinus infection and she thought my vitamin D levels were rather on the low end.  I am now halfway through an 8 week regimen of a weekly mega dose of vitamin D and my symptoms have completely disappeared.  I have not had a panic attack or anxiety in the past two weeks.  This is huge for me, I used to have several a day and when it began it was an almost constant state.  Exercise has also been important as it helps to regulate adrenalin and cortisol which play a big part in setting off anxiety and panic attacks.  It took me almost five years to figure this out, it can be a long process.

I hope your son will be able to figure out his triggers and wish him all the best.

• Like 1

I will second considering his breathing and if that might be affecting things.  I had what appeared to be a panic attack - turned out it was the beginning of a respiratory infection which was making it so I couldn't breathe properly- and as soon as I took my inhaler I was fine.  Now I am very proactive about that with any respiratory infection and it doesn't happen - but if I'm not proactive I start to feel off and I am reminded before it gets too far.

As an aside - I was so mad when the nurse hotline told me and my husband that I needed to calm down and I'd be fine.  I freaking couldn't breathe - on what planet is it easy to calm down when you feel like you are suffocating?

He might benefit from going to a therapist who can show him various techniques for dealing with the episodes. So it doesn't mean he has to go on medication if that is what you are worried about.

There is one a therapist told me about that I didn't try, but a lot of people claim it works. It's called Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR). Lots of stuff out there on the Internet about it.

I'm doing EMDR for PTSD/anxiety. It's amazing! My PTSD symptoms improved more after four weeks of weekly EMDR than it did in a year and a half of weekly cognitive-behavioral therapy. I was a doubter and refused EMDR each time my therapist recommended it. The fourth time she suggested it, I gave in. I inly regret that I suffered for so long when this highly effective therapy was available. Your son's mileage may vary, of course.

• Like 1

Be sure the doctor checks thyroid, particularly if there is a family history.  My 20yo male cousin ended up with Grave's disease.  It's rare in males, so often missed in diagnosis.  When I developed it, unexplained panic attacks were a major symptom, which everyone blamed on every situational stressor.  It turns out it was an easily handled medical condition.