Menu

I hate appliances

Carrie12345

I joked that I was going to make my own ice house, and now I'm mad that I didn't.

We're on our 3rd refrigerator in 11 years, and already had this one "repaired" over the summer.  It started crapping out again and throwing an error code on Sunday, so we loaded food into the chest freezer and coolers and called the repair people.  After a while, the error code went away in the empty fridge. They ran late all day yesterday (dh stayed home all day) and, when they finally called about being the next stop, told us they couldn't do anything without an error message being on.

So I loaded all the food back in the fridge last night, and had an error message again this morning.  Neither of us can be home today, so all of my food is going to go bad.  Technically, I could put it all back in the coolers, but then my error message would go away and they won't ever come to fix my fridge.

To top it all off, I'm going to have a bunch of rotting food and garbage day isn't until Monday.

If they can't fix our fridge, our contract gives us $500 towards a new one, so I'm happy to take recommendations for large refrigerators!

Oh my gosh. I am sorry!

I recommend the most basic fridge you can find.  Something without a lot of bells and whistles.  

Did you look up the error message and see what it says online?

It's REALLY hard to find basic and maximum cubic feet.  :glare:   Plus, as non-materialistic as I try to be, an ugly fridge would be a real eyesore.  You see it from everywhere but the bedrooms and bathrooms.  :glare:  :glare:

The code is basically "you bought a lemon".  (Dh looked it up, not me, lol.)

• Like 1

We always go with a basic, no frills fridge -- no digital stuff, no water/ice dispenser and my preference is to not even have an ice maker.  I don't mind emptying trays, and we've never had an ice maker that worked right for more than a few years.

• Like 2

And that's another thing!  Reviews are hardly worth anything, since any long-term reviews are pretty much on models you can no longer buy.  They're manufacturing like cars!  It's like trying to find a new 2014 Dodge Caravan today.  I love my minivan, but I'll never be able to buy it again.

• Like 2

We always go with a basic, no frills fridge -- no digital stuff, no water/ice dispenser and my preference is to not even have an ice maker.  I don't mind emptying trays, and we've never had an ice maker that worked right for more than a few years.

We never put in a water line, so we're good there.

• Like 1

I'm with you on new appliances. 

I just had to replace both racks on my 2 year old GE dishwasher because many tines had broken off and the racks were so rusted the dishwasher was unusable. It looks worse than my SIL's 11 year old dishwasher.

My five year old GE french door refrigerator has a broken icemaker (button stuck on) it's a constant fight to keep mildew off the seals.

Meanwhile, my 1973 (harvest gold) Tappan range is still going strong. 

3 refridgerators in 11 years?  Before you buy a new one, can I suggest that you have an electrician come and make sure that your power supply is good?  If you are getting fluctuating power that could be what is destroying your fridges.

• Like 7

I don't have a fridge recommendation, just commiserating on the appliance ugh--we just bought a new stove. Less than a year ago we got a new dishwasher. The year before we had to replace our washer. Thankfully our fridge still seems to be going strong in spite of the ice maker no longer working--hasn't worked in several years now.

TammyS makes a good point about your power supply. I hope you're able to figure things out so you can have a fridge that lasts a looong time! :grouphug:

I joked that I was going to make my own ice house, and now I'm mad that I didn't.

We're on our 3rd refrigerator in 11 years, and already had this one "repaired" over the summer.  It started crapping out again and throwing an error code on Sunday, so we loaded food into the chest freezer and coolers and called the repair people.  After a while, the error code went away in the empty fridge. They ran late all day yesterday (dh stayed home all day) and, when they finally called about being the next stop, told us they couldn't do anything without an error message being on.

So I loaded all the food back in the fridge last night, and had an error message again this morning.  Neither of us can be home today, so all of my food is going to go bad.  Technically, I could put it all back in the coolers, but then my error message would go away and they won't ever come to fix my fridge.

To top it all off, I'm going to have a bunch of rotting food and garbage day isn't until Monday.

If they can't fix our fridge, our contract gives us $500 towards a new one, so I'm happy to take recommendations for large refrigerators!

Seriously, if you want one that lasts, go buy someone's old one on Craigslist that he is ditching to get the fancy new stainless one.

Anything built before say 2000, actually will last awhile. 

If you can get a 50's - 80's fridge, that's even better.  I've got two going right now (in 2 houses) that are at least 40 years old and have run perfectly without repairs.

New appliances are not worth it.  At least get stripped down new appliances without computer chips and all that. 

Edited by TranquilMind

I wouldn't go so far as getting an old refrigerator -- they use an excessive amount of energy compared to the newer models.  I do agree about getting the most basic model you can find, within reason.  We have a GE profile that is 9 years old - a basic model with a bottom freezer but no icemaker, no french doors or other fancy things.  We did have one repair made on it, but otherwise, it runs very well.  Good luck.  3 in 11 years is a nightmare!

eta:  We had to special order ours from a local appliance store because no one seemed to carry the simpler models with no icemaker.  I found the model while searching online.  The larger appliance stores (Sears, Best Buy, Lowe's, etc) didn't carry it and wouldn't order it for us, so we went to a mom and pop store nearby who were happy to do it for us.  Something to consider.

Edited by amsunshinetemp
  • Like 1

3 refridgerators in 11 years?  Before you buy a new one, can I suggest that you have an electrician come and make sure that your power supply is good?  If you are getting fluctuating power that could be what is destroying your fridges.

Oh, no!  That did not cross my mind, and now there's no way I can pretend it hasn't!

What's the middle ground between "thank you" and "I hate you"???  :svengo:   (Electric stuff scares me. I was born in the wrong century.)

• Like 1

We have a Samsung.  I like it.  We bought it on sale at Sears at about this time of year.

ETA:  I think you should sign up for an extended warranty through the manufacturer, not through a store.  We went through all kinds of trouble with our new wall oven about a year ago, and the trouble kept repeating until I stopped dealing with Lowe's & went straight to the customer service though the brand.  It turned out the store repair people weren't authorized to work on that brand and kept doing things that caused it to break again rather than permanently be fixed.  When an authorized repair person came there was no more trouble.

Edited by Katy

This thread is making me like my 18+ year old refrigerator, that is the size of something that belongs in Europe, is temperamental if we load it took much, and looks dirty no matter what I do to it, seem like a good thing. Maybe we should look for a used refrigerator to help this one not work so hard. :(

• Like 1

Well, that's just the pits.

What brand of fridge is this one? Because I want to be sure not to buy that one when I'm fridge-shopping.

This one is a Kenmore. The others were LG and Maytag, but I don't remember which was first and which was second.

I think most Kenmores are made by Maytag.  At least they used to be.  I wouldn't buy either, both went downhill when they closed the factories in the midwest and moved them south and to Mexico. When we bought our Samsung we were told they were having a lot of problems with LG at the time by the salesperson.  That was probably 5-6 years ago now.

Oh, no! That did not cross my mind, and now there's no way I can pretend it hasn't!

What's the middle ground between "thank you" and "I hate you"??? :svengo: (Electric stuff scares me. I was born in the wrong century.)

This is a really really good point. A friend was caught with this as she thought the fridge would be covered by warranty but it wasn't as it was power supply issues that had done the damage. No idea if you can claim on insurance or anything for this?