Menu

What would you do? Take a day class and find... (?)childcare(?) or wait or beg?

againstthegrain

I need a certain class for my BA. I'm waitlisted for the section I need/want (an evening class). As of fall I will only need this ONE class. The reason I'm waitlisted and not registered is because I was registered for a similar course this summer and it was cancelled this past week due to low enrollment :(

I have two other options:

MW class from 330-430.

*DD has girl scouts from 230-330 on Wednesdays about 30 minutes away from the college. Pretty sure her GS leader would help me out for the fall semester if I dropped her off and could pick her up after at her house - I'm sure I could figure something out for DS...maybe?

-----I registered for this (can drop easily) just to save it for myself in case?

OR I wait till Spring and hope for a night class that meets the req of my last class. BUT this past Spring there was no upper level evening classes - so I could be on the same boat.

Or maybe I could PLEAD with the professor to let me in if it comes closer and I'm still on the waitlist (I'm in 1st spot on waitlist).

What would you do?? Literally, I only will need these 3 credits in the fall (I will take one more class though to be eligible financial aid).

I'm still kind of pouting about my class getting cancelled, I was set to be finished.

Sign up for the fall afternoon class as long as can get Girl Scouts worked out - let the other mom know that you will be trying your best to get into the evening class. Then approach the teacher and let him know that the only reason you are on the waitlist is due to the summer class being cancelled on you after the fall evening class had filled. All you can do is ask, and note to him that it is your last requirement to graduate.

• Like 11

I would definitely keep your registration for the afternoon class and hope that a way will open - either that a way to childcare will make itself known - a friend or another class for the kids or something - or that your pleading will help you get into the evening class.

• Like 2

Can you see whether a professor would be willing to let you do the course during summer as an independent study? I'm sure it depends on what the course is, but I'd think if you explained the situation a prof might be willing to work with you.

• Like 1

I would keep the afternoon class for now, and plead your case to the professor if you're still waitlisted a few days before the class begins. If the prof's not able or willing to accept an extra student, I'd ask for permission to attend the first few classes in case someone drops out. 

• Like 1

Email the professor and ask for suggestions. I did this when a class I needed wasn't available and they came up with an option for me to do it through an online provider. It didn't work out, but they did try. In fact, I went to the head of the course, rather than the individual professor.

Option 1 sounds feasible. How old is your ds? Does the college have a library he could wait in? Or could you hire a student to occupy him during the time you're in class?

Edited by nd293

Keep the enrollment in the fall class.

Email the professor, explain your situation, and ask if he would be willing to add you to the class. instructors usually have the prerogative to sign an add slip if there is physical space in the classroom.

If that did not work, I would not do girl scouts for that semester.

• Like 3

Get your advisor involved if the prof doesn't want to let you in. I had several issues like this smoothed over for me by a great advisor. Or talk to the head of the department.

And if that fails, yes, take the afternoon class. It's worth it to be done!

Sounds like you would need to hire someone for your ds unless you could pay/trade favors with the Girl Scout mom and include him? I wouldn't rely on the GS mom to always be free after GS, though.

Asking about getting in the class by talking directly to the teacher sounds like a good idea. Maybe someone else will drop and it will balance out.

• Like 1

I can drop the girl scouts (no big deal) - but it will mean I'm still in the same boat - I'll be needing childcare for the kids - during the day. Which I am very very very cautious about. I am trying to reach out to my in laws in hopes they can help... and I am sending out emails to homeschoolers we group with in hopes someone may be interested. 

I'll meet with the professor to explain the situation (and beg nicely) but rumor has it he isn't keen on letting students in full classes regardless of reasons :/ We'll see.

Sigh.

I'd take the fall afternoon class, dropping GS. With GS it's too many moving parts for me. Two days for two hours I'd arrange child care. If the in-laws fall, is there drop in care on campus? Can you register them for an afternoon program at the Y? Piano lessons one a week and a sitter the other day? College kid you could pay to have art and reading time with the kids (making it more productive than just play time)?

• Like 1

Is there any time to have a sitter set up for that time? Even a "Mother's helper" that keeps an eye on the kids on campus. Maybe they could walk around or grab a bite to eat nearby.

I don't know the answer. I used to have to drag ds to the dr and sometimes even with a tablet it was a disaster.

• Like 2