Menu

Things to do in Colorado Springs

3girls4me

We are thinking about taking a trip to Colorado Springs in late summer or fall. Any suggestions on what to do there? We have friends that are moving there and we will stay a night or two with them, but we want to stay an additional few days and play around.

• Like 1

We are thinking about taking a trip to Colorado Springs in late summer or fall. Any suggestions on what to do there? We have friends that are moving there and we will stay a night or two with them, but we want to stay an additional few days and play around.

Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks, can drive up to Pikes Peak, but I recommend taking the train (it's a bit expensive, but the road to drive up is ROUGH (and you can easily overheat your brakes) and a lot of people can't handle the altitude, the train is the Cog Railway)

They were building a new children's museum, not sure if that's open yet.  Manitou Springs can be interesting to walk, make sure you pay properly for parking, they make a ton of money off parking tickets there!  There are some mines you can visit within a reasonable drive.  (We didn't make it to any)  Seven Falls, if it's been reopened.  If you can do it, I'd highly recommend going to Mesa Verde (it's in the SW corner of CO, near Durango, so it might be a bit too far).

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is fantastic (not on par with like the San Diego zoo, but it's a really nice zoo, we loved it), and you can drive or take a tram to the Will Rogers shrine at the zoo.

• Like 1

Manitou Springs can be interesting to walk, make sure you pay properly for parking, they make a ton of money off parking tickets there!  

Last summer we parked free behind the Tajine Alami Restaurant and took the shuttle. Not sure about this summer. 

http://www.manitouspringsgov.com/library/documents/notices/2015_Free_Lot_and_Shuttle_Press_Release.pdf

Also, we liked the Manitou Incline and Helen Hunt Falls.

http://www.visitcos.com/Top-25-Trails

Garden of the Gods is great (we live right across the street and it is heavily trafficked in all seasons, so be ready for crowds).  If you are a rugged outdoorsy sort, you could drive up into the mountains (11 mile canyon is maybe an hour and a half away and a *beautiful* drive); if you are more of a walking around in the city sort, Old Colorado City (or Manitou if you are more hippy or more touristy) are fun.  Manitou is super crowded on weekends and afternoon/evenings - like, super super crowded.  

Bear Creek park is nice.  

• Like 1

I live here,too :)

Thoughts:

*Garden of the Gods  -- it's remarkably beautiful. It's free. It gets busy in tourist season. Even if you only drive through, but I'd recommend getting out and walking/hiking - picnicking is fun here but beware fire restrictions ;)

*PAY THE CASH -- Take the COG to the top of Pikes Peak. It's expensive. It's beautiful, it's an experience in itself, you get the views and if you find yourself altitude sick*, you don't have to face driving back down.  DRIVING IS NOT BETTER... it's a tough drive. You really can't stop to take pics along the way, it's not the prettiest route up the mountain!

*Air Force Academy -- it's really cool if you're interested in it, a beautiful location, cool history, interesting architecture and the chapel is amazing (I got married there!) but it's also fundamentally a college and a lot of it is off limits to visitors so this might be droppable depending on your interests.

*Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is a really nice zoo, halfway up Cheyenne Mountain -- it has great views, there's fun interactive elements (people love feeding the giraffes) but it's also just a zoo... depends on how much you like zoos and how much time you have.

*Royal Gorge -- it's magnificent. It's a bit of a drive but worthwhile.

*Manitou Springs is fun -- it's a little town at the base of Pikes Peak with little touristy, hippy shops and a great outdoor penny arcade. The Springs in Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs are mineral springs (not hot springs). We tend to prefer Old Colorado City (better food LOL)

*Seven Falls -- so cool! Worth the cost.

*Olympic Training Center -- it's a pretty cool, free tour and doesn't take a ton of time.

*Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site is a favorite of my family -- it's a Living History Museum with houses from various eras, right outside Garden of the Gods. A good place for absorbing a little history.

If you're looking to go further afield -- you can do Denver, or the Sand Dunes aren't that far.

DO NOT GO TO THE TOP OF PIKES PEAK ON YOUR FIRST DAY!!!! Going from Sea Level to 14,000 feet in one day is a BAD IDEA. Let your body acclimate to Colorado Springs (6,000 feet) for at least a day before heading higher!

*Altitude sickness is REAL. Don't blow it off. BE SUPER HYDRATED. Take a day or two fairly easy to adjust. I have lived in Colorado 30 years, after a recent trip to Florida of less than two weeks - *I* suffered from altitude sickness on returning home.

• Like 5

If you are pretty fit and are looking for a workout, hike up the Incline in Manitou Springs.  We learned about it from our tour guide at the US Olympic Training Center who said the triathletes swim in the pool, then ride their bikes to the Incline and then run up the Incline.  Turned out that our rental house was just a couple of blocks away, so my daughters and I hiked it.  It is a hard hike and not really scenic; you do it for the workout.

We drove up Pike's Peak, and it was an awful drive.  I wouldn't even take the train up, frankly--there's nothing to see up there.

Manitou Springs has a walking tour of the various springs that supposedly all taste different.  You can pick up a cup and a map at the visitor's center and walk around trying them.  You don't have to dip the cup into an actual spring; as far as we could see, they've all been plumbed with water fountains pulling water straight out of the springs.  The ones we tried are very minerally, i.e., not what I would want to drink on a daily basis, but it was interesting.

Garden of the Gods was interesting.  The Segway tour looked really fun, but one of mine was too young for it, so we didn't get to do that.

Yes, if you have kids who like farm animals, rock ledge ranch can be fun.  Also check out what is happening the week you're here - there's (I hear) a hot air balloon festival around Labor Day, and often outdoor fairs and things like that in the summer.

DH and the kids have done Pike's Peak (driving, not the train) and said the view was spectacular.  I am not one for heights so am not interested in the least.  DH is a very good driver and an enthusiastic one, and we'd already been here for months so we were altitude-acclimated; I agree to not drive it if you decide to go up.

*Altitude sickness is REAL. Don't blow it off. BE SUPER HYDRATED. Take a day or two fairly easy to adjust. I have lived in Colorado 30 years, after a recent trip to Florida of less than two weeks - *I* suffered from altitude sickness on returning home.

Yes!  Please be careful, especially doing anything physically active the first few days. Altitude sickness is miserable and is not related at all to your level of physical fitness.  It is completely random who gets it the worst.

ETA, I still remember my dad (a 3-pack a day smoker from Texas) having to carry down the mountain a serious hiker from another state who had been hiking her whole life...  There is no logic to altitude sickness...

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 2

You said "Or Fall" -- remember Fall here is kinda short - it can be glorious  but you can also get snowed on any time after Oct 1. (or sometimes before... we've had September snow plenty of times) but you probably won't. We almost always get SOME snow in October but when and how much varies wildly.

I forgot to recommend going to Cripple Creek -- not for the gambling (unless you're into that) but for the Pikes Peak Visitor Center -- best views, the fun train ride (especially if it's Fall Aspen time) and the fun Prison museum.

• Like 1

*Manitou Springs is fun -- it's a little town at the base of Pikes Peak with little touristy, hippy shops and a great outdoor penny arcade

The outdoor arcade is very fun.... They also have all the old video games, Pac Man, Asteroids, etc. 

Manitou Springs also has Adam's Mountain Cafe, a kind of hippy, organic, healthy place to eat if you like that sort of thing.  Very good food.

http://www.adamsmountain.com/

Edited by goldberry

The outdoor arcade is very fun.... They also have all the old video games, Pac Man, Asteroids, etc. 

Manitou Springs also has Adam's Mountain Cafe, a kind of hippy, organic, healthy place to eat if you like that sort of thing.  Very good food.

http://www.adamsmountain.com/

I'm in it for the Pinball... DH loves the 4 player Pac Man LOL

• Like 1

If you want an interesting dining experience try going to Fargo's Pizza.  

ROFLOL!!!!  Yes, this would be a super fun place to take kids the ages of the OPs!  It's an experience, the food is not bad at all, and it's not expensive.  Be sure to stop in at the arcade on your way out--it's also reasonably priced!  The restaurant is casual and fun, nice to relax after a day of sightseeing, and the kids will enjoy the decorations inside!

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is quite unique. I'd recommend it. 

And I'll toss in another vote for the U.S. Olympic Training Center. What a great opportunity for your whole family to se this. It was a fantastic tour, and I think it was free.

I never would have paid $$$ to take the tram up Pikes Peak.  The road sounded far worse than it was (although I was happy that my dh drove). If you have anyone who may get carsick, be prepared ahead of time with Sea Bands or Dramamine.

Be forewarned about  Royal Gorge "Bridge and Park"--it's an expensive, privately owned amusement park.

Garden of the Gods has a nice visitor center that you can stop in at on your way through the park (free to drive through). Be sure to get the typical tourist photo of your kids "holding up" Balanced Rock!

Some places that I've not seen mentioned--if you sponsor a Compassion child (or have considered it), you can take a tour at the headquarters of Compassion International.  They do a great job with tiny tours.

If you have ice skating fans, you'll need to tour the U.S. Figure Skating Museum.

Also, the Cliff Dwellings at Manitou Springs is a very fun way to spend the afternoon.  They are not the original cliff dwellings, but these were carted in and recreated about 100 years ago. There is a cost, and it's well worth it, geared toward families. You've probably never experienced anything like it, unless you've done Mesa Verde in the SW corner of the state.

A LOT of things to do and places to see in Colorado Springs!

ROFLOL!!!!  Yes, this would be a super fun place to take kids the ages of the OPs!  It's an experience, the food is not bad at all, and it's not expensive.  Be sure to stop in at the arcade on your way out--it's also reasonably priced!  The restaurant is casual and fun, nice to relax after a day of sightseeing, and the kids will enjoy the decorations inside!

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is quite unique. I'd recommend it. 

And I'll toss in another vote for the U.S. Olympic Training Center. What a great opportunity for your whole family to se this. It was a fantastic tour, and I think it was free.

I never would have paid $$$ to take the tram up Pikes Peak.  The road sounded far worse than it was (although I was happy that my dh drove). If you have anyone who may get carsick, be prepared ahead of time with Sea Bands or Dramamine.

Be forewarned about  Royal Gorge "Bridge and Park"--it's an expensive, privately owned amusement park.

Garden of the Gods has a nice visitor center that you can stop in at on your way through the park (free to drive through). Be sure to get the typical tourist photo of your kids "holding up" Balanced Rock!

Some places that I've not seen mentioned--if you sponsor a Compassion child (or have considered it), you can take a tour at the headquarters of Compassion International.  They do a great job with tiny tours.

If you have ice skating fans, you'll need to tour the U.S. Figure Skating Museum.

Also, the Cliff Dwellings at Manitou Springs is a very fun way to spend the afternoon.  They are not the original cliff dwellings, but these were carted in and recreated about 100 years ago. There is a cost, and it's well worth it, geared toward families. You've probably never experienced anything like it, unless you've done Mesa Verde in the SW corner of the state.

A LOT of things to do and places to see in Colorado Springs!

Oh, another decent place if you're so inclined is Focus on the Family (and my heathen side still LOLs about the Gay and Lesbian group cleaning the interstate by their exit!)

Where do all you people in Colorado Springs live?!?!  I've been here a year and have had trouble just connecting with other homeschool moms!  There's a national park we've gone to (can't remember the name) where you're at the top of the mountain and can see the tops of other mountains.  It's about 1/2 hour up the mountain and very pretty.  

I think the Cheyenne Mountain zoo is really cool but it's not for the out of shape!  The hills there will take some effort.  We bring our child in a wheelchair and it is a workout!  We did go to the top of Pike's Peak and I thought it was worth the cost.  The ride up is pretty.  You don't spend much time at the top and it is hard to breathe up there.  Really, how many times do you get the opportunity to stand at the top of a large mountain?  We had visitors come and take the tram to the top only to have a storm roll in with thunder and lightning.  They all had to take shelter in the shop at the top.  They won't forget that trip!

• Like 1

We lived there for five years and moved out of state several years ago.  We were also part of High County--those enrichment classes were the best! My oldest also did the cottage school at The Classical Academy for a couple of years.

It was tough when we moved. While there are a lot of homeschoolers in our current area, there were none of the options like we had in CSpgs. The majority of co-ops are CC or TOG and require participation in every class, not the pick and choose that we had at HCHE.  Those were days we look back fondly on--my kids consider Colorado Springs home.  :001_tt1:

Where do all you people in Colorado Springs live?!?!  I've been here a year and have had trouble just connecting with other homeschool moms! 

NE Colorado Springs in Briargate.  We've done a variety of programs that past 6 years- High Country, Cottage School, TRACKS, and College Pathways.  My kids will move to full time status at College Pathways next year.  

• Like 1

Peak fall colors in the mountains is around the third week of September.  If you are coming to CO around that time I highly recommend taking a couple of days to explore Rocky Mountain National Park.  I recommend the National Park in the summer too.  It is an amazing place ~ one of my favorite places in the state!

Definitely go to the top of Pikes Peak via the Cog Railway.  It is worth the expense.  I wouldn't worry too much about the altitude.  The people at the summit are used to tourists and altitude.  They can help if anyone has trouble.  Just be sure to drink plenty of water, enjoy the homemade donuts, and the view(!) at the top.  During the summer be sure to go in the morning as we tend to have afternoon thunderstorms.  You can pair the Cog with exploring Manitou Springs and the penny arcade that was previously mentioned.  The shuttle has recently been approved to run all year so parking should not be a problem.

Garden of the Gods is a must see.  Definitely do the visitor's center.  There is a junior ranger program if your children are interested.

Rock Ledge Ranch is a living history attraction.  It is located right next to Garden of the Gods and would be easy to pair the two.

Touring the Olympic Training Center is a must, especially since this is an Olympic year.

If you like to hike I highly recommend Cheyenne Cañon.  There is a nice and easy out and back hike that starts at the Starsmore Discovery Center.  There is also a waterfall, Helen Hunt Falls, that you can view for free versus paying for Seven Falls.  I have never seen Seven Falls and I am sure it is beautiful but I refuse to pay to go there because I love the Cañon.

Cripple Creek would be a nice day trip where you can explore Colorado's mining history.  I have heard good things about the Molly Kathleen Mine.  If you prefer to stay in town there is the Western Museum of Mining and Industry just up the street from the Air Force Academy.  You could easily pair the two in a day.

If you don't want to drive as far as the Rocky Mountain National Park then Mueller State Park is a nice place to spend some time in the mountains.

As someone mentioned above, the May Museum is a neat place.  It is near Cheyenne Mountain State Park.  

We also have a Money Museum.  You could pair this with the US Olympic Training Center since they are both downtown.  The museum is next to Monument Valley Park which could be a nice place to have a picnic. 

If you would like to see some interesting rock formations and let your kids burn some energy climbing on rocks and hiking then I recommend Palmer Park.

DO NOT try to hike the Manitou Incline unless the adults in your group are fit and accustomed to high intensity cardio (children always do fine and scramble up like it's nothing!).  If you are fitness enthusiasts and want to hike the Incline be advised that it will be closed Aug - Dec for repairs.

This sounds fun - http://ironspringschateau.com/index_files/1home.html

That's all I can think of for now.  I hope your family has a wonderful trip!

SJ

Edited by SJ.

Where do all you people in Colorado Springs live?!?!  I've been here a year and have had trouble just connecting with other homeschool moms!  There's a national park we've gone to (can't remember the name) where you're at the top of the mountain and can see the tops of other mountains.  It's about 1/2 hour up the mountain and very pretty.  

I think the Cheyenne Mountain zoo is really cool but it's not for the out of shape!  The hills there will take some effort.  We bring our child in a wheelchair and it is a workout!  We did go to the top of Pike's Peak and I thought it was worth the cost.  The ride up is pretty.  You don't spend much time at the top and it is hard to breathe up there.  Really, how many times do you get the opportunity to stand at the top of a large mountain?  We had visitors come and take the tram to the top only to have a storm roll in with thunder and lightning.  They all had to take shelter in the shop at the top.  They won't forget that trip!

If you are on facebook try Drawbridge Fun Club for Homeschoolers, or something like that. 

This is a great place to go! Be aware there's audience participation, so you may be sung to (as was the case for my mom's husband. I think she may also have sat on his lap) (said by someone who made the mistake of making eye contact with the actor at a different venue and being selected to dance with him while he sang his song. I'm not graceful and can't dance, but it was fun.)

Edited by wilrunner