Menu

Explain to me about dance competitions

teachermom2834

I will preface this by saying that I am not very familiar with dance. My 7 yo dd does take ballet at her request but the world is new to me and I am not really into it. I cannot see dance competitions as something that would interest us but I have a kid who played travel baseball for 10 years so I don't judge how others spend their recreational time and money :)

What I want to know about these competitions is- does everybody win? I constantly see on FB pictures of kids we know that have gone to competitions. They are always holding armfuls of trophies. It is as if every dancer we know wins every competition they enter. How is this possible? And these are not super talented kids IYKWIM? I have mom friends that are obsessed with it and constantly posting on FB about all their awards. I have seen these kids dance...a lot...and it kind of shocks me that they win everywhere they go. Can anyone explain this to me?

I did have a neighbor tell me that her dd middle school dance team would enter competitions where they were the only team- then a story would run I the local paper about how they swept all the awards.

What's the story? My baseball player son played on teams with kids that signed D1 scholarships. Super talented kids. They might win 10% of their tournaments. So this strikes me as curious.

Just trying to understand as I have friends very into this and I am happy to support them. It would be rude for me to ask them ;)

I haven't done competitions either, but I've noticed the same thing with at my daughters' dance school: There are a LOT of awards at some of the conventions. The prestigious competitions are not "everybody gets a prize", but some of the other ones are.

But, this is true in other areas as well: Some sports tournaments are recreational, some competitive. Even in science fair, DD does one that is very stingy with awards (where we're excited and grateful to get an honorable mention) and one where maybe a quarter of the students or more go home with first place trophies (and from all the first-place projects, they choose  gold, silver, bronze "grand award" as well).

• Like 2

And swim.  Last year my kids both received a big pile of ribbons.  One of them was the second-best swimmer in her age group on our team, so she would get 1st sometimes when the faster girl wasn't in the same event, but my other kid was solidly average.

My daughter did dance competitions for 14 years.  It varies how they work but for most of the ones we did:

Everyone gets a score and based on the points they get an award - some are Gold/Silver/Bronze, some are Platinum/Gold/Silver, we did a few that had Diamond/Gold/Silver, some make up their own things. But basically there's 2 or 3 levels of scores.  At some, almost everyone gets "Gold", at others only the top 10 or so % will get gold.    Some give trophies of different sizes for every level, others give medals or ribbons for the lower levels and trophies only for the highest levels. 

Some also do a top score for each category, which can be a pretty small category.   Top mini (8 years old and under) tap duet/trio, for example, may only have three groups competing, but top junior small group could have 100's.

Some, at their Nationals usually, may have a top 10 performances from ALL categories.  That could be the top 10 out of over 1,000 routines depending on the size of the competition.  They may do a Showcase with these routines and pick a Top performance out of those.

My daughter had years where she was in 3 large groups, 2 or 3 small groups, 2 or 3 duet/trios, and a solo.  The large groups, small groups, duets and trios usually get one trophy or medal for the whole group and then ribbons for each performer.   For groups, the trophies usually go to the studio.  For duet/trios the dancers usually take turns getting the trophy.    So, some years she had quite a few trophies by the end since we did 4 or 5 regionals and 1 nationals per year.    She received overall awards quite a few times and those usually had a lot more meaning.

• Like 6

Also piano recitals.  The person is progressing nicely, but based on the awards, you would think she should be playing in a world-famous symphony orchestra by now.  ;)

Huh. I've never been to a piano recital that gave out prizes. It was always everyone just showed what they had learned recently.

• Like 3

We were a dance family for a looong time. :)

It really depends on the competition. There are some that are more 'participatory-award-like' than others. If you go to more than one a year you might be able to start sussing out which ones have stiffer competition. Dd's studio usually did three or four a year, and there were some at which they really felt like they won something if they won, and others that were just for the sake of having a performance opportunity and seeing what other people were doing. A big part of the fun was watching what the other studios had going on for inspiration (or not. :laugh: ).

Like pp's have said, at most of the events every group took home some kind of award, but the girls knew if it was a consolation prize or not.

Edited by Jen in NY

We did it for a year. One competition was trashy. I was shocked with a few of the performances - actually stripper poles! The other was smaller and very nice. So I am guessing it varies greatly. My dd liked the competition aspect and the fun weekend, but the dance company kind of fell apart as many girls moved and several teachers moved as well - strange year. We are now in a studio with the end of the year recital and performance opportunities. 

My DD does competitive rec cheer, and the kids literally get a trophy or medal for showing up and competing at all. Like they hand them to the kids as they leave the floor. I was thrilled when they went to medals-they take up less space. At 4, my DD was excited. At 11, all she wants is her team's name called as qualifying for a bid to the next level of competition. I think they should do the Easter Egg hunt recycling thing-if you don't want your trophy after you've taken a picture of your DD holding it, put it on this table, and we'll use it for the next competition (especially since you get the nameplate separately that has the competition information on it and your DD's name-and those scrapbook well...)

Edited by dmmetler

I hate the one that give a trophy or medal just for participation.  My kids used to do 5 classes at the Little Gym so we would get a total of 10 medals, 3 times a year, just for breathing in and out.  Spare me.  Though I did like that they gave participation ribbons at their first horse show - it was a one-time thing for them and that was their souvenir.  I'm not sure if it made a difference to them or not.  At 8 they were old enough to know what a participation ribbon means.  :P

• Like 2

I just happen to be at a dance competition right now. Here is everything you need to know........$13,000/year!

Yep!  And that's per child.  We were at our second competition of the season this weekend also.

The trophies/awards thing varies greatly by the competition attended.  There are SO many out there.  For the most part, every child gets something to take home for participating. If they are part of group numbers they get either a small pin or a ribbon, and a larger trophy or plaque for the team goes to the studio.  The smaller groups (duos/trios) and solos get the award to themselves, and that varies by competition also.  Some give out plaques, some do trophies, some do ribbons, some do sheets of paper.  Every dance competed in generates awards, so a child who is in five group numbers, a solo and a duet is going to have seven awards of some kind to take home. 

So a studio that is geared more towards the "awards for all" mindset will choose the competitions they attend differently from a studio that is more about the pursuit of careers in dance.  They're all good, really, it just depends what you are looking for. The studio we attend now takes us to the competitions that are going to challenge us- not everyone receives an award, and in the end, sometimes the award you receive is a silly piece of paper with the competition logo and a generic "Top Score" award on it. 

We've been to both kinds of competitions over the years.  There are times that I miss the "everyone wins" type of scenario because going to the tough competitions all the time can be deflating.  But at the same time, when they work extra hard and do really well at these tough competitions, they feel really great about their progress.  

ETA:  I used to think relatives of mine were crazy for their family's devotion to the sport of soccer.  I could not for the life of me figure out why they'd want to devote their life to carting their children around to tournaments and games and practices and completely let their schedule be dictated by soccer.  And now I'm a dance mom at the same level of crazy.  Dance really is an intense sport, and it really is not that different from baseball, soccer, gym, basketball, etc. when it comes to levels of competition available these days.  

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 1

In a nutshell:

Most dance competitions have levels your child can compete in - variations of Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.  

Every dance in each of these levels gets a score from 3 judges on a variety of categories (musicality, costume, technique, etc).  Each judge can score up to 100 points.

There are total-score point ranges which determine what trophy or medal they get.  It's usually some variation of Silver, Gold, High Gold, and Platinum.  For example, a total point range of 246 to 260 would merit a Silver medal (or trophy or pin, plaque, etc with the words "silver winner" or something on it).  A total point range of 261 to 275 would merit something that says "Gold" on it - and so on for High Gold, and Platinum (every comp is different).

Dances are awarded in their own category (tap, jazz, lyrical, contemporary, etc) and age group - usually with a top 3.   And then again for an overall top ten.

This is why many competitions take all weekend:  There are 2-4 levels, more than 10 categories and age groups, and these vary if its a solo or group - then the groups are broken down into categories, too - small groups, large groups, lines, productions, etc.  

And don't forget the "special" awards.  These are for silly categories like "the fierce feet award" and "the funkiest costume award".

And that is why it looks like everyone wins something - because they usually do. 

Edited by AngelaNYC

Thanks for all the insight!! Like I said, a lot of my social circle is into this and my sister is headed into it soon probably and I am just trying to understand. We have spent time and money on things for our kids that others wouldn't understand so I am not judging.

I will admit I have a friend I am concerned for. She is, it appears, on the brink of bankrupting her family and damaging her marriage over these competitions. It appears her justification is the awards that are won. But it looks to me like participation awards, largely. Not really my business but she does ask for advice sometimes. I wouldn't put down the competitions because she is very devoted to them but Im trying to understand. Thank you!

The hardest is starting a child in competitive dance, letting it become a passion, and then pulling it because of costs. I try to tell new moms on the front end what to expect. If one cannot afford it, there are many other ways to let a child dance which do not cost much at all. However, keeping the child in the sport and financially destroying the family seems much worse.

Most of the dance families we know are totally committed, including the dads. It is more of a family lifestyle than just having a kid who can dance. The dads build the props, load big U-Hauls, and work backstage. The moms do all the shopping, sewing, stoning, and work in the dressing rooms. We have committees that get our hotels, plan social events, and arrange food for the weekends we are out of town.

Every once in a blue moon, I will meet a parent who seems to be in it to fulfill some bizarre addiction which could ruin a family financially. It has always been the mom, and she is frequently a studio jumper moving from place to place because something seems better somewhere else. The dancer is usually very good, but would rather be doing something else than standing in a dance class.

Good luck to your friend. I hope she has enough good friends help her to stop before she loses her family.

This particular friend has a large family and they are all involved. 4 kids dancing and a younger one to start as soon as old enough. Seems like an enormous financial undertaking in addition to all the regular dance tuition. But to say it is important to her is a huge understatement. I don't quite understand but hope to be able to help her if I have the chance.

I think, for most families, it is a healthy hobby so long as you are realistic about the chances of it becoming a career.  We have approached it as a hobby and a sport/exercise that can be done for most of a lifetime, but not as potential career.  We enjoy the friendships, the activities/events, seeing other dancers' numbers, etc.  We take our commitment seriously but don't bankrupt our family over it or over-schedule ourselves.  We are busy but sane (most of the time!).  We have chosen a studio whose competition program is in line with our goals and values, and make careful choices as to the level of our participation each year, and over time.  We started low-key, added some things as we went on, but always thoughtfully.  Our main priorities are with academics; dance is important but it's not the most important thing in our lives.

• Like 1