Menu

If you appreciate Thomas Hardy's work, which of his novels is your favorite?

If you've read a bit of Hardy, which of his novels is your favorite? Did you appreciate The Mayor of Casterbridge and/or Tess of the D'urbervilles?

LOVE Hardy! I much preferred The Mayor of Casterbridge and Jude the Obscure to Tess. Just IMHO.

You're not going to make me say why, are you, Colleen? :001_huh: Cuz I can save you the time: Don't know. Just do. :D

If you've read a bit of Hardy, which of his novels is your favorite? Did you appreciate The Mayor of Casterbridge and/or Tess of the D'urbervilles?

Mayor. That said, and I'm mortified I have forgotten this, but the first 3 chapters of either Return of the Native or Far from the Madding just smoke. It starts out with a man who has sheep, but his young dog kills them, and this puts him back years, financially.

I read once that after the first three chapters, Hardy was admonished about it being too racy (a man and a woman who are strangers actually talk) and toned it down. The rest of the novel was a sleeper. But those first three chapters. If I could write like that, I'd die happy.

Of the two I'd say Tess, but the best of Hardy is Far From the Maddening Crowd.

I have to agree with Stacy. This thread has reminded me, too, that I have all my Penguin paperbacks of Hardy in a box somewhere - need to find them and make them accessible as it has been a while since I have Hardied!

Colleen, I love you for posting this! My favorite is Jude the Obscure, ashamed to say I haven't read Mayor, so I'll vote for Tess (good book).

I have all his books upstairs in a back room, I think. Hmmmm...fall and winter reading project? thanks for the idea!:001_smile:

The one thing I miss about college (and I don't miss much) is talking about literature.

Love Hardy's poetry, too.

Of the two I'd say Tess, but the best of Hardy is Far From the Maddening Crowd.

I agree. I got completely lost in Far From the Madding Crowd the first time I read it. As I recall I didn't surface for two days.

Another vote for Far From the Madding Crowd. This was a fascinating book. I never read Tess as it looked SO depressing to me. I didn't need depressing and don't do that well. I was furious at the ending to Mill on the Floss (Eliot). I have not read Mayor, but saw the very well-done movie with Ciarán Hinds and James Purefoy. It was absolutely brilliant. If you have to chose between the two you mentioned I would go with Mayor. If not, I would go with Far From the Madding Crowd first and Mayor second. :) This is my favorite genre as you know! :001_smile:

Silly me, I was hoping there'd be a general consensus.:) I read the first couple of replies and thought, "Oh, good! Everyone's going to agree on Mayor!". And then came the positive comments about Tess. And some people ~ including my dear friend Kate CA ~ prefer other titles. What's a woman to do?!;)

I am asking because my small book club ~ just a few of us close friends ~ are choosing our books for a new year of reading. One woman suggested something from Thomas Hardy and, much as hate to admit it, I've not read any of his books. She did mention both Mayor of Casterbridge and Tess, so I feel we should decide between those two. I'm leaning toward the former. I've considered in the past reading Tess but was never particularly drawn to it.

I'm happy I posted; I didn't realize there were so many Hardy fans here!:)

Silly me, I was hoping there'd be a general consensus.:) I read the first couple of replies and thought, "Oh, good! Everyone's going to agree on Mayor!". And then came the positive comments about Tess. And some people ~ including my dear friend Kate CA ~ prefer other titles. What's a woman to do?!;)

I am asking because my small book club ~ just a few of us close friends ~ are choosing our books for a new year of reading. One woman suggested something from Thomas Hardy and, much as hate to admit it, I've not read any of his books. She did mention both Mayor of Casterbridge and Tess, so I feel we should decide between those two. I'm leaning toward the former. I've considered in the past reading Tess but was never particularly drawn to it.

I'm happy I posted; I didn't realize there were so many Hardy fans here!:)

I like and re-read A Pair of Blue Eyes, but not because I'm such a discriminating fan of Hardy, just that I'm somewhat limited in my reading of him.