Menu

Struggling to choose science for 1st grade

abh413

I've spent so much time reading science reviews my head is spinning. I'm attempting to loosely follow TWTM recommendation of plants, animals & human body but I'm open to any suggestions. I do prefer less expensive options.

I have a bunch of Usborne encyclopedias & science experiment books. We will also be in CC again. And, I will have a 4 yr old (turning 5 in Oct) tagging along for some lessons when he wants to join us.

What science did you use for 1st grade? And, did you enjoy it?

We followed their interests and read zillions of library books, spent lots of time outside observing nature and did some easy hands-on things.

At that age, mine had a new fascination every few weeks! 

I love TWTM and we use lots of SWB's advice and curricula, but not her science recs.

• Like 4

I did not yet homeschool when my kids were in 1st, but I would not follow any curriculum at all.

I'd do lots of nature study while playing and walking outside, read books on science topics of their interest, visit science museums, nature centers, a planetarium, state and national parks. Record the weather. The kids could keep a nature journal, draw and sketch their observations.

In fact, I'd do that all the way through middle  school.

• Like 5

My oldest did interest led in first grade. My youngest is using Home Science Adventures by Stratton House along side his big brother. We don't follow TWTM for science at this point.

Edited by UCF612
  • Like 1

We did field trips, random library books, community nature programs, and informal nature study. I had the kids watch Magic School Bus on Netflix or YouTube, WildKratts on Netflix or PBS kids, and a new one I would add would be Ready, Jet, Go on PBS kids. For field trips, we visit a science center once a year locally or while on vacation. We also went to NASA while visiting family in Houston. If you want a book with age appropriate project ideas, the Fun with Nature or More Fun with Nature books are simple and fun. I didn't follow WTM.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 3

I have a first grader this year and a pre-Ker (and a 2 year old and a baby).  I needed open and go science that would get done even if we never got to the library.

We are using Mr. Q life science.  It isn't amazing, but it is good and solid and easy...I do supplement a little with Magic School Bus, Bill Nye, extra books, but I don't feel bad if I don't get to those things.

My kids enjoy the casual, conversational style of the text book; I wish it covered the topics in a little more depth, but it is fine for these ages.  We've enjoyed the experiments and they are very easy to set up with every day supplies.

Plus, the whole life science curriculum is free, so it is easy to download and give it a try.

Wendy

• Like 1

I don't think you NEED to do anything specific for 1st grade.  Magic School Bus/ Bill Nye plus interest led library books can totally be enough.  But, if you're like me and just WANT a curriculum to follow, you might check out Mystery Science.  It's free now through June, but then there's a yearly subscription fee ($99?) after June.  It's not the most cost effective option since you have to pay every year and don't get anything to keep for reusing with later kiddos, but I've got to say that for us it might be worth it anyway.  It's sooooo easy to get done, completely open-and-go, and my kids (2nd and K, 4yo tags along too) LOVE it.  They ask to do science and are learning a lot.  And before we switched to Mystery Science were weren't really doing anything because I felt so overwhelmed trying to plan it all out.  Mystery Science makes my life easier, lol.

• Like 2

I used Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, plus threw in the occasional science kit. Worked great for us. I loved the lessons, my daughter loved the science in it. It does take a little more prep time than most other options, if that's a consideration, but I didn't prep for any more than 15 minutes per topic. (I'm finding the grade 3-5 book takes more prep time, but the K-2 book was pretty straightforward.)

• Like 2

We did the WTM rec's and added things in.  We read through animals, then did the plant book and a few things outside.  For the human body, I wrote a layout of what to read, things to do, videos to watch, etc. for all that we did over 6 weeks:  http://www.cambridgeshireacademy.com/2010/10/1st-grade-science-human-body-outline.html

• Like 1

Edited: Oops I misread the grade, but there are some textbooks that can be purchased without the digital content for Science Fusion. I had mixed feelings on the digital content and the pricing. You can browse the table of contents on the Reading Rainbow site and order the text alone elsewhere.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

I'll be using Christian Kids Explore Physics with my DC next year, but I was worried about the 1st grader.  I'm adding in Simply Charlotte Mason's Outdoor Secrets for her.  It focuses on nature study related topics.  They read the vintage storybook Outdoor Secrets along with some picture books from the library.  They also do some nature journal entries and projects.  

• Like 1

I agree with Jackie that Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding is a great programme, but if you want a more "classical" way of doing science the Quark Chronicles seem like a popular option. Paired with TWTM's recs for each subject, I think it would be fine for 1st Grade. 

• Like 1

Thank you all! Since I have so many great science books, I think I will skip specific curriculum this time. I may find something appropriate at a local used curriculum sale in the late Spring. Thank you again for your input!!

I second Elemental Science biology. They use Usborne encyclopedias that you say you already have. you can easily substitute books if you have a different encyclopedia than they recommend. It is fairly affordable and it is very flexible.

I have made my own science before and followed theirs and supplemented and done kits, etc. I find it is easier to have a framework to follow and then I can add a Pinterest project or something when I want to. For first grade, the projects are great. They have some optional projects, like a habitat diorama or animal art. You can change it up however you want. There are note booking pages and quizzes if you want them, but it is very flexible. They have a two day or five day schedule. For me, I just found it gets done more when I have something I can open up and follow.

• Like 2

I recommend looking at Elemental Science. It's easy to "get done", while still being fun and interesting. It's also reasonably priced, and it aligns with TWTM recommendations.

I second Elemental Science biology. They use Usborne encyclopedias that you say you already have. you can easily substitute books if you have a different encyclopedia than they recommend. It is fairly affordable and it is very flexible.

I have made my own science before and followed theirs and supplemented and done kits, etc. I find it is easier to have a framework to follow and then I can add a Pinterest project or something when I want to. For first grade, the projects are great. They have some optional projects, like a habitat diorama or animal art. You can change it up however you want. There are note booking pages and quizzes if you want them, but it is very flexible. They have a two day or five day schedule. For me, I just found it gets done more when I have something I can open up and follow.

I've been reading up on Elemental Science & I'm definitely interested. It may be my choice.

Has anyone used the new series by them... The Sassafras Science Living Books? It sounds interesting but it also sounds like it could be more work (which I don't want). I hate to print from my computer... I much prefer to have papers in hand.

We did science kits and living books. The Story Book of Science and the Among the _____ People (Farmyard, Night, Meadow, etc) series were much enjoyed. Butterfly hatching, ladybug watching, A Kid's Herb Book, growing plants for botany, and My Body for anatomy. If I were to do it again, I'd read the Quark Chronicles, too. They have botany, zoology and anatomy, and will be adding more in the future.

For more books, Let's Read and Find Out and One Small Square books are excellent.

• Like 2

The Sassafras books are more of a science story book.  They are ok, but IMO, they are not the most well written story of all time or anything.

That's a bit of an understatement. The one we read was pretty bad. You wouldn't do any printing, OP. It's a novel that you read aloud (unless your child is a really gifted reader). There's notebooking pages and some activities that go with it. It's lame.

We DIY'ed science through most of elementary. If I had to suggest a program though, I'd say do TOPS and read living books.

• Like 2

Our schools use FOSS. As an aside, I did researched this program when in grad school. It's very solid and our own research backed up the claims--it's comprehensive. I'm very happy with the information and excitement my kids bring home from school.

http://www.fossweb.com

The science notebooks are online:

http://www.fossweb.com/delegate/ssi-wdf-ucm-webContent?dDocName=D567879

I don't know the homeschool prices, though.

• Like 1

I looked into both Quark and Sassafras for my first grader and chose Sassafras over Quark with the plan of starting Quark in 4th or so. It's been a good choice. We are preparing to begin our second volume of Sassafras.

One problem with the writing is the bulk of the scientific information is in one spot, spoken most often by an expert/tour guide, and surrounded by the adventure. It's fairly predictable like any old 1960s Batman TV show that the kids are going to run into trouble and end up OK (rise and repeat).

That said, it's just enough information to get my 1st grader interested in discovering more on his own. The story is lively enough a 6/7 year old wants more, to keep reading. Because the narrations/information must be recorded before moving on it inspires my very reluctant writer to actually do his work. The experiments spark his curiosity enough he goes out and tries to discover "what else" which didn't happen when using BFSU, Usborne, or SCM science. He loves all the extra living books we can get from the library on each sub. Finally, it's great how it ties in geography.

I wouldn't use it on a middle/late elementary child. But for a young one it has worked well enough to keep using it this spring.

• Like 1

Our schools use FOSS. As an aside, I did researched this program when in grad school. It's very solid and our own research backed up the claims--it's comprehensive. I'm very happy with the information and excitement my kids bring home from school.

http://www.fossweb.com

The science notebooks are online:

http://www.fossweb.com/delegate/ssi-wdf-ucm-webContent?dDocName=D567879

I don't know the homeschool prices, though.

I loved FOSS when my son was in school, and I wish they offered a homeschool version. The closest is their Science in a Nutshell kits.

• Like 1

For anatomy, I used a science encyclopedia and I added this really fun project to our anatomy studies.  It was great for a 2nd grader and 4 year old.  They both really enjoyed coloring and adding the body parts to their outline each week and I couldn't believe how excited they were each time I pulled out the encyclopedia.  They learned a great deal. 

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Books-Patty-Carratello/dp/1557342113/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458252646&sr=8-1&keywords=my+body+book

• Like 1

For science, we do lots of reading plus occasional experiments and trips (to the museum, etc.), and we just talk about natural phenomena in our daily conversations. I especially recommend the Let's Read and Find Out series, Level 2, for first grade. There are books on almost every topic and they provide real information in a way that children understand. They read almost like a story instead of a "textbook," so they're easy to snuggle up with (unlike Usborne books, which I also like, but which feels more like a junior textbook with no fluid narrative). 

Also, just for variety and fun, The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That has some science titles to reinforce concepts. 

I've also been really pleased with The Everything Guide to Kids' Science Experiments -- a whole range of valuable experiments, easy to follow and understand.

I really like BFSU with my 6yo because the way it is presented concepts build upon each other. In almost every lesson, I can refer to a previous lesson, so there is constant review. At times, she is not so crazy about the Socratic method, ("Why do you always ask me QUESTIONS!?!"), but if I present the demonstrations first, or try to make the questions casual, say over lunch, she is more receptive.