Menu

Anyone losing with new Weight Watchers Beyond the Scale/Smartpoint/Oprah system?

CrispyBiscuit

I joined about a week ago, to do monthly pay as you go.

I won't be rejoining.  The online program and app don't work well and they are driving me nuts because I don't have that much time to fiddle.

If I could get my money back for this month I would.

I don't think the program is bad.  Fruits, veggies are "free" and high protein/low fast items have lower points.  That makes sense to me.  Having 4 ounces of chicken equal 4-5 points was too high IMO.

But they changed something in the app and it just isn't user friendly.   

I lost over 50 lbs. with the old systems and have kept it off for 4 years now. I found a free calculator online for the old points program, points plus program, and now the smart points program. Both DH and I were on maintenance which means we had free online tools and free meetings but when they rolled out the new system, I just couldn't figure it out so I cancelled my membership. But I still follow by counting points. It's kept the weight off and is easy to do and is a habit now. I found the new website to be hard to figure out and I told them so when I cancelled. I hope I'm just misunderstanding because the program has always been a top weight loss program.

• Like 2

I've seen many women at my church lose a ton off weight with weightwatchers over the years, BUT every single one of them puts it back on. Every one.

Which is why WW will probably never go out of business.

Losing weight is technically not that hard most of the time.  Keeping it off is one of the biggest obstacles. 

• Like 2

I've seen many women at my church lose a ton off weight with weightwatchers over the years, BUT every single one of them puts it back on. Every one.

That's why no diet works. There has to be a radical lifestyle switch to keep weight off.

• Like 4

I have not lost yet but I've always been negative points so no real surprise. Sugar is my downfall and I feel like when I finally find a balance with the new system that I'll be able to lose/maintain. I'm still in the process of finding foods that satisfy my hunger, wean me off sugar, and keep me in the right number of points. I've finally got a handle on using the app though!

• Like 1

I'm not crazy about Oprah and wouldn't want to throw my money her way. I did the old WW and lost about 30 lbs, maybe 9 years ago. I still have all my stuff and have considered getting the online calculator and doing it all again. Right now, no. I may change my mind later.

The only people I know who have maintained a lot of weight loss over a long time have done WW.

And it's not all of them.

I have known some people who swore by it.  They do have to go back to it more strictly from time to time, but it was fairly well maintained.

I like the concept, but I don't do well on high carb and at least going by how it was years ago I would have felt starved all the time. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry that this is an old thread. I'm just beginning to consider WW and am starting to do some research. This is all very new to me. If I do decide on WW, it would all be online. No meetings where I live. 

This concerns me. Did these women still continue with WW when they put the weight back on? 

I lost over 50 lbs. with the old systems and have kept it off for 4 years now. I found a free calculator online for the old points program, points plus program, and now the smart points program. Both DH and I were on maintenance which means we had free online tools and free meetings but when they rolled out the new system, I just couldn't figure it out so I cancelled my membership. But I still follow by counting points. It's kept the weight off and is easy to do and is a habit now. I found the new website to be hard to figure out and I told them so when I cancelled. I hope I'm just misunderstanding because the program has always been a top weight loss program.

Beth, good for you! This is encouraging to hear. Is this the link for the free online calculator?

I am still following points plus. Down 54 pounds over 3 years.

It works if you actually stick to it :)

This is what I like to hear. :)

• Like 1

That was me. I lost 80#, and when I stopped going to meetings, and stopped tracking my food choices, and stopped exercising, and ate unrestrained amounts of junk, I gained it back. Go figure.

I'm doing the new program now and it's amazing. The new points system really steers you toward whole foods. I have severely reduced sugar and junk, so much so that the cravings are gone. I'm down 40 pounds and feel great.

I also love the whole "why" emphasis, versus "how".

I love the "better together" and the connect community on the app. It's amazing and supportive.

I love the app , it totally rocks and makes teaching easy.

I totally get now that I have to do this for my lifetime. Goal weight isn't the actual goal - a long healthy, in control life is the goal. I'm a sugar addict and I need limits and accountability to deal with it. Others don't, but I do. So I'll be a lifetime member for life.

So yeah, if you quit doing everything that made you successful, and return to the habits that failed you in the first place, you'll fail. That's my fault, not the program's. I can't recommend ww enough.

• Like 7

I've been in it a little over 2 months and I'm a fan so far. I went in wanting to lose about 40 pounds, I've lost 10. I knew what to eat, I had beliefs of what kind of foods are healthiest, but I needed boundaries. And the accountability of tracking. The points system does steer you toward protein/ low carb. Carbs and sugar are high enough in points to discourage you. I really like the separation of daily points and weekly points. It fits my lifestyle well. I can use my weeklies for a nice dinner out and still be on plan by cutting it back the rest of the week.

I am online only and the Connect community on the app is so inspiring and supportive. There are people there losing 10 pounds, 100's of pounds, vegan, vegetarian, etc. And so much information. People are always linking helpful articles, lots of BTDT advice and support.

I'm a fan. And as far as gaining back weight- it's a lifestyle. Many people confess they stopped tracking, and yes, they gained the weight back. But there are lots of people on there who have kept it off for years and post to inspire others to stick with it.

• Like 2

I've been doing this since May.  I do go to meetings as I wanted a little more direction and I required baby sitting.  My friend and I make a morning of it.  We go to our meeting and then head to coffee afterwards.  I have lost 22lbs, have started exercising, and sleeping better.  I feel wonderful.  Best I've felt in years.  I wish I'd lose faster but that has never been the case.  I still would like to lose another 30+ pounds and will stick to it.  It is not a fast process and I was told when you want to lose 50-60lbs to plan on about a year from other members who have made goal.  My friend is at about -28lbs.  She doesn't exercise as she is in physical therapy trying to prevent a knee surgery. So you can see it isn't dependent on exercise, I just felt I needed to get moving before I can't.  I'm 53, she's 43  Another friend started in February and she's at -35lbs and is looking and feeling great.  I find it is a very doable program and am trying to remind myself that this is my new way of life not a diet I will go off later.  I use only whole foods and no artifical or diet foods to lose the weight since I know that is how I want to eat for the rest of my life.  Of all the times I've tried to lose weight, I like this plan the best.  

Facebook has  many social group that post recipes, foods, ideas and encouragement.  Also there is an app called itrackbites that will allow you to follow previous weight watcher plans if you like those better.

Kimberly

• Like 3

Negin, you might look at myfitnesspal.  It was recommended to me by KTGrok, and I like it better than WW plus it's free.

Why I prefer it is that it has actual breakdowns of nutrition and calories, rather than 'points equivalents', so, for instance, I can distinguish the impact of fruit vs. vegetables (huge difference in calories, but WW calls them both 'free foods').  I like to geek out on actual data rather than on 'equivalent' data.

Plus when WW failed for me it was because they changed from one points system to another, and on the later one I could not lose weight for some reason.  I think it was that I ate too much free foods.  But you might say, well, cut back; but to me, the WHOLE ENTIRE POINT of tracking is to have a feedback loop that accurately tells you how much is too much, and WW stopped doing that for me.  Whereas myfitnesspal is the raw data, summarized, and so it remains accurate.

• Like 3

I started it last month and am down 6 lbs. which is an average of 1.5 lbs per week. My weight has been a real problem since hitting peri-menopause. It's easy to gain, hard to take off. I think WW is a good program, but you have to stick with it, like any program. I have a lot of friends who have done really well with Trim, Healthy Mama.

• Like 3

Wow. It's wonderful to read such encouraging posts! :)

I totally get now that I have to do this for my lifetime. Goal weight isn't the actual goal - a long healthy, in control life is the goal. I'm a sugar addict and I need limits and accountability to deal with it. Others don't, but I do. So I'll be a lifetime member for life.
So yeah, if you quit doing everything that made you successful, and return to the habits that failed you in the first place, you'll fail. That's my fault, not the program's. I can't recommend ww enough.

You've dong great and you said it perfectly. I have already decided that if I join and if I hopefully do well, I will stay a member for life. 

I needed boundaries. And the accountability of tracking. The points system does steer you toward protein/ low carb. Carbs and sugar are high enough in points to discourage you. I really like the separation of daily points and weekly points. It fits my lifestyle well. I can use my weeklies for a nice dinner out and still be on plan by cutting it back the rest of the week.

Good for you on your weight loss. 

This is me also. I definitely need boundaries and accountability.

I didn't know that about weekly points. I'm not done with all my research yet. 

I find it is a very doable program and am trying to remind myself that this is my new way of life not a diet I will go off later.  I use only whole foods and no artifical or diet foods to lose the weight since I know that is how I want to eat for the rest of my life.  Of all the times I've tried to lose weight, I like this plan the best.  

Facebook has  many social group that post recipes, foods, ideas and encouragement.  Also there is an app called itrackbites that will allow you to follow previous weight watcher plans if you like those better.

Kimberly. great job also! 

Thank you for the info on the app.

I'll look into the Facebook groups, but I'm often a little wary of groups since I get overwhelmed by too many posts clogging up my feed. 

Negin, you might look at myfitnesspal.  

Carol, MFP is an option that I'm considering. I'm at the point where although I'm leaning most towards WW, I'm also considering MFP, TOPS (?) - heard it about it on these boards and need to read up more, and THM. I was leaning towards Intermittent Fasting for a while, but having tried it for a bit and having read up on it more and more (including some FB groups), I realized that it's not for me. I'd often thought about WW, but it was always in the back of my mind. Then I did a search for the best diets or something like that and came up with this from US News and World Report. I like their layout - they include weight loss, heart healthy, you name it. I also like their rankings. 

I started it last month and am down 6 lbs. which is an average of 1.5 lbs per week. My weight has been a real problem since hitting peri-menopause. It's easy to gain, hard to take off. I think WW is a good program, but you have to stick with it, like any program. I have a lot of friends who have done really well with Trim, Healthy Mama.

Krissi, you've done great and I completely agree about having to stick with it, like any program really. Losing is so much easier than maintaining. 

A coworker has lost over 100 pounds on it and is still sticking to it after a year and a half or so.

Wow. That's wonderful!

Just want to piggy back on this post - my husbands company paid for us to join Naturally Slim. It’s expensive, but so is every other program like nutrasystem, medifast. Anyway, It’s changed my life. No weird eating, nothing purchased, just eating regular foods. Based on eating when you’re hungry. Iï¸ have been struggling with my weight for years. This has enabled m not lose. Just another suggestion.

• Like 2

Personally I like cronometer for tracking. It's best if you cook all your own food as some pre-packaged foods are missing, but the usda and canadian databases are all there. Probably harder for people not in an english-speaking country. But it gives massive amounts of data to geek out over, showing a lot more micronutrients than mfp in a much more clear display. It's also a lot easier to set your own goals. 

• Like 1

It's working for me.  I joined in mid-September and have lost 12 lbs. so far (just a steady 1-2 lbs. per week, every week thus far).  When I used to 'diet' on my own,  own, I could never lose more than a couple of lbs.  For the most part, all I did was essentially stop gaining (sad, but true), now that I am not a 'youngster' any more!

What I am learning is that saturated fats (such as one angus burger from Sam's...with no cheese on it, even...scores you 13 pts., which is practically half of my day's allotment of 'smart points') are NOT GOOD for you.  This is a great system for me as I was told I had to get my cholesterol level down before Christmas or the doctor would put me on statins.  Also, I have learned much more about portion control, such as do not eat more than one cup of white rice at a time (closer to 1/2 cup is better, or switch to brown rice, etc.).

The other big thing is to go from a 'fixed mindset' to a 'growth mindset' that says you do not have to stay stuck in old patterns of thought and lifestyle.  Plus, for me personally, I am no longer trying to lose weight as part of my own performance FOR God, but rather I am humbly relying on Him and praying that I am doing all this in the power of His might.  I only mention this as I think so much depends on what is happening in the mind before we see results in the body.

• Like 2

Beth, good for you! This is encouraging to hear. Is this the link for the free online calculator?

This is what I like to hear. :)

No, it's Calculator Cat

There are reasons people gain weight back on diet changes. If you're following a plan, you need to find your happy place where you can lose and then maintain. That's what I did. I bet you can say there are lots of people who gain weight when they come off a diet or what was supposed to be a lifestyle change. Heck, I heard that about low carb and that was a deciding factor of why I didn't even try it. 

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

The weekly points and weekly weigh in are my favorite parts so far. It seems to break it into doable chunks of time. I've done myfitnesspal before and I track my food in there sometimes just to see, but in general I eat a lot of the same things so I know where I stand.

Good luck!

• Like 1

In my head, I am thinking of this as a lifestyle choice rather than a diet program.  As such, I am not weighing out every single item or even exactly tracking every item (even though WW tells you to do this), because I know that this would not be a way of life that I would maintain.  What I can maintain, though, is an awareness of about how many points I am using up in a day.  Additionally, I love the barcode scanner in which you can see how many points your favorite item in the grocery store calculates per portion size.  This tool on the App. has been a real eye-opener for me!

• Like 1

I just joined and am excited! :) I see this as hopefully something that I will try to do for life. 

It's working for me.  I joined in mid-September and have lost 12 lbs. so far 

What I am learning is that saturated fats (such as one angus burger from Sam's...with no cheese on it, even...scores you 13 pts., which is practically half of my day's allotment of 'smart points') are NOT GOOD for you.  This is a great system for me as I was told I had to get my cholesterol level down before Christmas or the doctor would put me on statins.  Also, I have learned much more about portion control, such as do not eat more than one cup of white rice at a time (closer to 1/2 cup is better, or switch to brown rice, etc.).

The other big thing is to go from a 'fixed mindset' to a 'growth mindset' that says you do not have to stay stuck in old patterns of thought and lifestyle.  Plus, for me personally, I am no longer trying to lose weight as part of my own performance FOR God, but rather I am humbly relying on Him and praying that I am doing all this in the power of His might.  I only mention this as I think so much depends on what is happening in the mind before we see results in the body.

Great job on the weight loss! 

I really enjoyed your post, especially about relying on God. 

Update on me:

I'm still following weight watchers, still love it and am still losing!!!!

My son has also lost 31 pounds (loosely) following the program!!!

Love the update! Great job - both you and your son!

No, it's Calculator Cat

There are reasons people gain weight back on diet changes. If you're following a plan, you need to find your happy place where you can lose and then maintain. That's what I did. I bet you can say there are lots of people who gain weight when they come off a diet or what was supposed to be a lifestyle change. Heck, I heard that about low carb and that was a deciding factor of why I didn't even try it. 

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you, Beth. No, low carb wouldn't appeal to me either. I wouldn't be able to sustain that over the long-term.