Menu

John McCain Suspends Campaign

asta

John McCain asked the Presidential Debate Commission on Wednesday to postpone Friday’s scheduled debate with Barack Obama so that he can work on the financial crisis bailout plan now on Capitol Hill.

The Arizona Republican senator said he will suspend his presidential campaign on Thursday to return to Washington to help with bailout negotiations. He urged Obama to do the same.

source

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way or another, I think the results of this election are going to hinge almost completely on the economy. Whichever candidate that the public perceives has the best plan and the best firm grasp on events will be the candidate that is elected.

I agree, but since they're both in favor of a large bailout, there's not much choice there....

I agree, but since they're both in favor of a large bailout, there's not much choice there....

as I was not aware that McCain supported the bailout. If they're both in favor of this bailout, then why don't they both suspend their campaigns? Is there no alternative other than our government spending another $700B to bail out these corporations?

I have to say that after running through the list of cynical reasons why this would or would not be a good political move, what the best response would be, what the likely response would be etc. I then thought, "Well, they are senators."

They should be there.

I have to say that after running through the list of cynical reasons why this would or would not be a good political move, what the best response would be, what the likely response would be etc. I then thought, "Well, they are senators."

They should be there.

:iagree:

It crossed my mind momentarily that this was just a political move, but I really agree with the above.

For me it was a plus in the McCain column.

Janet

Normally I'm very skeptical, but I don't think he's doing this as a "move". I think it's just who he is, and him doing what need to be done, all personal loss aside. jmo
How does bringing presidential election politics into the middle of talks and negotiations help the process?

How does bringing presidential election politics into the middle of talks and negotiations help the process?

My take on this is that he is asking that they suspend the "election politics" for a few days to deal with the crisis that this country is facing. I think he is looking for bi-partisan answers, not debate to be the focus. Maybe I am naive or mistaken?

Yeah, they are senators who should be participating.

But this Friday's debate is on foreign policy and, frankly, I would really like to hear what they have to say. In particular, I am interested in hearing how these men envision future US involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. After hearing the news from North Korea on forbidding UN inspectors at the nuclear complex, what are US concerns?

The Iraqi war has become incredibly expensive. This is part of the fiscal mess in which this country finds itself.

We need to know where these men stand in light of changes going on in the world in just the past few weeks. US bank problems affect foreign banks.

As I said, I know they need to be in DC, but I would like to have more information from both of these men on recent events.

Jane

But this Friday's debate is on foreign policy and, frankly, I would really like to hear what they have to say. In particular, I am interested in hearing how these men envision future US involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. After hearing the news from North Korea on forbidding UN inspectors at the nuclear complex, what are US concerns?

The Iraqi war has become incredibly expensive. This is part of the fiscal mess in which this country finds itself.

We need to know where these men stand in light of changes going on in the world in just the past few weeks. US bank problems affect foreign banks.

As I said, I know they need to be in DC, but I would like to have more information from both of these men on recent events.

Jane

The debates will still happen and of all of the debates the foreign policy debate is the one where McCain typically does best so this is the one he wouldn't want to miss.

The only thing that I find interesting is that, less than a week ago, McCain said that the American economy was fundamentally sound.

Guess this has been a real wake-up call for him! If that is the case, then I applaud him for finally realizing it.

As my 14 yo would say, "Well, look who just caught up." ;)

My take on this is that he is asking that they suspend the "election politics" for a few days to deal with the crisis that this country is facing.

If that's what he's asking, then I think he's the one who is naive. I am totally certain that his campaign will use whatever they can from this to advance their campaign, and perhaps Obama would do the same. I don't think it's possible to remove election politics if the major players get into it, and I think overall it will be a negative influence. I think we have seen that politicians in general will not put the good of the country above partisan politics.

They should be there.

That's my thought. Whatever the politics ... but in general I intensely dislike the amount of time spent campaigning and not on the job they (they meaning any candidate) were elected to in the first place.

They are senators. This is a crisis. They should be there. It's their job.

Jane

I'll be the first to admit I'm very naive about these political matters, but won't the debate still happen - just postponed slightly. I definitely want to hear where they stand, all. Very important. But I could wait a few days or so.

Janet

My take on this is that he is asking that they suspend the "election politics" for a few days to deal with the crisis that this country is facing. I think he is looking for bi-partisan answers, not debate to be the focus. Maybe I am naive or mistaken?
Obama's camp tried to negotiate with the McCain camp to make a joint statement their common principles before going public. McCain's camp instead acted unilaterally. What is it precisely McCain is going to do in Washington when negotiations are almost complete except try to take credit for any concessions to the Bush plan Congress manages to obtain?

I personally feel like the middle of a crisis would be a pretty fine time to hear from the candidates who would presume to be our next leader.

So I'd prefer to see the debate go forward, with enough of a format alteration to include how each would deal with the current economic mess.

Bill

Please. There's over 500 congress members, plus the current president dealing with this current situation. What possible use is McCain, who admits he doesn't even understand economics, going to bring to the situation?

I agree with Obama on this one. I want to hear what they have to say in the debates. The two of them aren't going to make a difference in this current situation, only bring more partisan tricks into it.

Smell the desperation of McCain. Sheesh, why not just admit he desperately needs more time to prepare, or that he's desperately trying to appear like a "maverick" or somehow presidential for calling a time out? Maybe Bush should call a time out on the war in Iraq right this minute, so he can focus on the financial situation. Can't McCain deal with more than one thing at a time?

Michelle T

Please. There's over 500 senators, plus the current president dealing with this current situation. What possible use is McCain, who admits he doesn't even understand economics, going to bring to the situation?

I agree with Obama on this one. I want to hear what they have to say in the debates. The two of them aren't going to make a difference in this current situation, only bring more partisan tricks into it.

Smell the desperation of McCain. Sheesh, why not just admit he desperately needs more time to prepare, or that he's desperately trying to appear like a "maverick" or somehow presidential for calling a time out? Maybe Bush should call a time out on the war in Iraq right this minute, so he can focus on the financial situation. Can't McCain deal with more than one thing at a time?

Michelle T

If he can't handle more than one thing at a time, then he sure shouldn't be President!

:iagree: You said it so well.

Please. There's over 500 senators, plus the current president dealing with this current situation. What possible use is McCain, who admits he doesn't even understand economics, going to bring to the situation?

Michelle T

What is it precisely McCain is going to do in Washington when negotiations are almost complete except try to take credit for any concessions to the Bush plan Congress manages to obtain?

Over the years, love him or hate him, his fellow senators (of all political persuasion) agree that McCain is one of the most bi-partisan people there. He works really hard to come to agreements and get the Senate working for people, to come together, hear each other out and figure things out.

You may disagree with his stand on things or his ideas, but his record and reputation do stand on being very bi-partisan (in the good sense of the word:001_smile:)

I agree with others here, it's a good move, because that's where they should be at this point, especially someone with McCain's working style and influence.

Of course they'll both use this in their political ads and speeches when they resume, that's to be expected. But it makes sense, since they are involved as senators, that they should be involved in the discussions. I'd rather see them using substance in their ads than some of the other garbage that gets picked up. :tongue_smilie: jmo

You may disagree with his stand on things or his ideas, but his record and reputation do stand on being very bi-partisan

If this was truly the case here I think he would have worked with Obama behind the scenes to reach some kind of mutual agreement, rather than make a unilateral move. I think he's trying to show his "maverick" side here, not his "I'm a uniter, not a divider" one.

And while McCain's campaign said he would "suspend" his campaign, it simply will move to Washington knowing the spotlight will remain on him no matter where he is.

Obama repeatedly stressed at his news conference that he called McCain first to propose that they issue a joint statement in support of a package to help fix the economy as soon as possible. He said McCain called back several hours later, as Obama was leaving a rally in Florida, and agreed to the idea of a statement but also said he wanted to postpone the debate and hold joint meetings in Washington.

Obama said he suggested they first issue a joint statement showing bipartisanship.

"When I got back to the hotel, he had gone on television to announce what he was going to do," Obama said.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080924/ap_on_el_pr/mccain

Please. There's over 500 senators, Michelle T

Just for the record there are only 100 senators.

Personally, I think they both should vote/debate on the floor of the Senate...as for the Pres. debate on Friday night...that usually takes a few days to prep for on both sides....so I can understand wanting to put it off a few days....

All canidates prep for debates for usually 2 days...

I have to go make dinner now...so I'm not trying to hit and run...but I won't be back on the boards until tomorrow....so if the thread is still going then..I'll catch up! Have a nice evening everyone!

Jenny

??? - I don't understand the "500 senators" part of this? Are you counting state senators? Otherwise, there are only 100 senators, minus 2 if you take away the ones campaigning.

Wait, *writes it down*, 100 senators minus 2, take away the one...what about the hypotenuse? What do I do with that?:D

Have I mentioned I'm weak in math?

Obama's camp tried to negotiate with the McCain camp to make a joint statement their common principles before going public. McCain's camp instead acted unilaterally. What is it precisely McCain is going to do in Washington when negotiations are almost complete except try to take credit for any concessions to the Bush plan Congress manages to obtain?

According to Obama, he called McCain this monring at 8:30, asked to make a joint statement, (some Republican from Oklahoma called Obama with this idea, and Obama gave him credit for this idea during his press release, but since I heard it on the radio, in the car, I don't rememeber which Republican it was, so not trying to be disrespectfull, just forgetfull. :confused:)

McCain didn't call Obama back until 2:30, said GREAT! Let's do it! (Okay, paraphrasing here, but again, I can't take notes and drive at the same time), and then right after the phone call went public with this whole "let's suspend the campain" challenge. Now, you can either believe Obama's side or not, but to me McCain is being rather two faced and unpresidential. (But I'm an Obama supporter. Others might have a different take on it.)

ETA: Or you can follow the link in Mom to Aly's post for a more informed article about the matter.

Oh, well then she might ought to have triple-quoted, as I wasn't the only one to agree with Michelle.

Besides that, it should be obvious that we were agreeing with the general comments in the post. Regardless of the actual number involved there are plenty of folks working on the matter.

Maybe Leila should have double-quoted in her post. Looks like she was responding to your comment as well. ;)

I can't imagine that many of the American worker or small businesses feel fundamentally sound when millions have lost their jobs and many have had to close their businesses. Either way, his comment really isn't relevant to the situation at hand.

Even his campaign manager has said that "fundamentally sound" he means the American worker, the small businesses...that is what he meant by fundamental. The Obama camp took this sound bit and ran with it, just like the 100 years more of war. Sigh.

Dh and I stopped by Starbucks earlier tonight, we haven't done that in a long time.. nice to sit in those big chairs and people-watch -- wanna try the Starbucks at the only mall in Ras al-Khaimah? ;)

Ooooo.... Starbucks.... :drool:

Are they serving the pumpkin spice coffee yet?? It's my favorite! :D

Dh and I stopped by Starbucks earlier tonight, we haven't done that in a long time.. nice to sit in those big chairs and people-watch -- wanna try the Starbucks at the only mall in Ras al-Khaimah? ;)

I don't know...I'd need to be home in time to make dinner...could be tight. Traffic in the SF Bay Area is a nightmare.

Sounds like a great night!

Maybe Leila should have double-quoted in her post. Looks like she was responding to your comment as well. ;)

Thanks, love! Yes, I should've double quoted. I simply had resisted my SICK urge to edit until I read a kudos for the post with the error in it (which, by the way, I'm sure, was an honest mistake--no doubt she meant 500+ legislators--which is why I didn't edit initially) that didn't even mention the error. Then I couldn't. control. myself. any. longer. :D

Just to throw this out there: If this "crisis" requires us to throw $700B at Wall Street by the end of this week at the latest (and actually, Paulson really would've liked the money by Monday, thankyouverymuch), I don't think that it's unreasonable to ask those who represent the taxpayers in AZ and IL to be present when discussing this travesty that will bilk said taxpayers of their childrens' futures.

And to their credit, after listening to both McCain and Obama speak about this plan, neither one seems to like it one bit. As I said in another post, when those on the far left and those on the far right AGREE on an economic issue, I tend to sit up and listen. I think they're both right: This plan, as presented, stinks.

Just my $.02!