Menu

Sharing a Room. Need Ideas.

DragonFaerie

Due to VERY limited housing options in our area, I may end up renting a 2-bedroom place for the kids and me to live.  I won't have them share a room given that they are both teens and different genders.  However, that means that I will have to share a room with DD. These are average-to-small sized bedrooms, so there is no room for two beds, And it's a rental, so no construction. Also, there is no other room that could be converted. The place has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen.  That's it.  My first thought is to put DD's twin bed up on a metal bunk bed frame and then put my queen bed perpendicularly underneath it.  But, I'd love to hear other options/ideas.  What would the Hive do?

In that situation, I would treat the living room like a hotel room, and have it be mine. I'd invest in a sofa bed or Murphy bed for myself -- or set up the twin as a 'day bed' (styled as a deep couch during the day).

I'd far rather sleep in a space that is shared in the daytime (but alone at night) than to actually share a sleeping space.

• Like 12

I definitely approve of the raised bed for your DD with your queen below it.   Or trade your queen out for a full if you can afford it to give the two of you a bit more floor space in the room.   Having her sleeping area elevated will give you both more room and will feel like there is more space. 

Then, let her put up pictures or posters by her bed (use the command strip stuff that they sell that comes off easy) so that it feels more like her own space up there.

• Like 4

In that situation, I would treat the living room like a hotel room, and have it be mine. I'd invest in a sofa bed or Murphy bed for myself -- or set up the twin as a 'day bed' (styled as a deep couch during the day).

I'd far rather sleep in a space that is shared in the daytime (but alone at night) than to actually share a sleeping space.

I thought about getting a sleeper sofa, but I have a really wonderful Tempur-pedic mattress set that I would HATE to give up.  I LOVE my bed. 

I got on very well with my mother but I would have absolutely hated sharing a room with her in my teen years. So as a mom now I'd take the sofa bed option regardless of how much I lovedy mattress (and this is exactly what my mother did when we were growing up).

We knew a mom and daughter who shared a one bedroomed apartment. The daughter's section of the room was a space sectioned off by wardrobes and the mother had the main section of the room. The back of the wardrobes faced into the daughter's space.

• Like 1

According to a post on this page, you can extend the width of this Ikea daybed far enough to fit a queen mattress on it. You could also purchase a queen sleeper sofa, replace the mattress with yours, and leave it permanently unfolded, with pillows added for a daybed look.

I suppose I could create a daybed look with my bed (just mattresses and frame; no headboard/footboard) in the living room. The only problem with that is that everyone will always be on my bed to watch tv, hang out, etc. And if I have anyone over, there's nowhere to sit but on my bed.

We knew a mom and daughter who shared a one bedroomed apartment. The daughter's section of the room was a space sectioned off by wardrobes and the mother had the main section of the room. The back of the wardrobes faced into the daughter's space.

I like this idea, but I don't think the room is big enough.

I suppose I could create a daybed look with my bed (just mattresses and frame; no headboard/footboard) in the living room. The only problem with that is that everyone will always be on my bed to watch tv, hang out, etc. And if I have anyone over, there's nowhere to sit but on my bed.

I understand. Maybe you could have a daytime cover with your sleeping bedding underneath? I think I'd prefer that if people were going to be on my bed all the time.

• Like 2

Idea so you get to keep the tempurpedic:

Each kid has a room that is theirs to decorate, hang out in, have friends over etc.

Give dd the bigger room with the queen bed and keep your clothes in there.

Make her twin bed into a daybed and have her sleep in the living room...but her room is still hers, kwim?

Another idea is to share the queen bed but with two blankets.

• Like 2

I think I would have a day cover for the bed, and a put-away quilt just for me, just for night.

If you are using a wall as the 'back rest' of the day bed's couch configuration, you will probably want a sausage roll of old bedding and/or a row of cushions to look and feel like the back of the couch. You can store your night bedding behind that, next to the wall. To go to bed, toss the sausage and day cover on the floor (or somewhere better) and spread out your night time bedding.

Use a basket as your 'night table' and keep your night pillow safely away from daytime use or over-squishing. Develop strategies for light control (stove, microwave, TV, etc) as well as good window coverings. (Electrical tape is opaque enough that a small rectangle will completely block an LED on anything.) Consider using white noise if the appliance sounds bother you.

• Like 1

I think I would have a day cover for the bed, and a put-away quilt just for me, just for night.

If you are using a wall as the 'back rest' of the day bed's couch configuration, you will probably want a sausage roll of old bedding and/or a row of cushions to look and feel like the back of the couch. You can store your night bedding behind that, next to the wall. To go to bed, toss the sausage and day cover on the floor (or somewhere better) and spread out your night time bedding.

Use a basket as your 'night table' and keep your night pillow safely away from daytime use or over-squishing. Develop strategies for light control (stove, microwave, TV, etc) as well as good window coverings. (Electrical tape is opaque enough that a small rectangle will completely block an LED on anything.) Consider using white noise if the appliance sounds bother you.

Thanks. These are some great tips.  Now I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to hang curtains or something that I could close when I'm sleeping to make it sort of a "room" for me. 

• Like 1

I think your idea is just fine. Not ideal, but then again, what is?

I'd do just as you plan. No way would I want to be in the living room. What a night mare. Shoot me now. Maybe that's my introvert talking, but I'd be institutionalized in short order if I didn't have a room to escape to. 

Honestly, I'd consider putting a kid in the living room long before I'd be out there. I think your plan is the best option of those available. If you can, create more private space by putting up some sort of opaque netting around your beds; that'd be really nifty and could be fun and pretty. 

• Like 1

Thanks. These are some great tips.  Now I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to hang curtains or something that I could close when I'm sleeping to make it sort of a "room" for me. 

You could make a PVC pipe "cube" that functions as a canopy bed, and use regular (cheap) sheets for curtains. PVC is very cheap and VERY easy to work with; like large Legos, really, with joints. When I was a kid, I had this on a top bunk - it extended from my bed up to the ceiling, so I had my "own room" of sorts.

Are the ceilings high enough that you could do a queen size loft for yourself in the living room? Put the sofa underneath. We stayed in an apartment with that arrangement for two weeks, and the height served to give our sleeping area some privacy.

• Like 4

Can you have a loft built or buy one for the queen mattress? You could then use it in the living room but keep the floor space. You could even put a sofa under it.

I have always loved and gotten along well with my mother. But sharing a room with her would have been misery. I know generations lived this way, and no one died of it, but doing that to a teen daughter would be an absolute last resort. I would rather have space and privacy than anything I can name besides food, air and water.

• Like 2

I second sleeping in the bedroom, but then I'm imagining nights when the teens are in their rooms and  you have the living area to yourself. If they are night owls and like to be in the common space, that might not work. I really like the high loft bed idea. Then no one could even see your bedding, let along sit on it. It would give a much better sense of privacy. 

• Like 1

What about a privacy pop for either or both of you ?

www.privacypop.com.

These are interesting.

Are the ceilings high enough that you could do a queen size loft for yourself in the living room? Put the sofa underneath. We stayed in an apartment with that arrangement for two weeks, and the height served to give our sleeping area some privacy.

I really like the idea of creating a loft for me in the living room, but I'm not sure the ceilings are high enough.  I haven't been able to measure as we don't have the place yet.  Housing around here is such that there is actually a waiting list.

I second sleeping in the bedroom, but then I'm imagining nights when the teens are in their rooms and  you have the living area to yourself. If they are night owls and like to be in the common space, that might not work. I really like the high loft bed idea. Then no one could even see your bedding, let along sit on it. It would give a much better sense of privacy. 

No, both kids have bedtimes, so at night, the living room would be all mine.  

I really, really appreciate everybody's feedback and suggestions.  Y'all are definitely giving me a lot to think about.  Right now I'm leaning toward making a "room" for myself using curtains or dividers in the living room somehow.  I may not know what will work until we actually get the place and I can measure.  But I'm loving the ideas!

• Like 2