Menu

POLL!!! Help me decide b/t Blendtec or Vitamix!!!

sheryl

Blendtec or Vitamix  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you buy?

• Blendtec
    • Vitamix

OK, I've done more research.

I think I need help in understanding terminology here - LOL!

These manufacturer and other sites refer to "juicing", "blending", and "smoothie" (consistency).

There are 2 main types - centrifugal and masticating process. "C" uses high power and can "heat" foods thereby

killing healthy enzymes. "M" process uses a cold press and does not heat.

I like the idea of keeping the healthy enzymes so I guess I'd go with masticating, right?

It's still hard for me to grasp the difference b/t the juicing types above. HELP!

What "tasks" can your Blendtec and Vitamix perform? Please be specific.

Lastly, I have an older Champion juicer but I haven't used it to it's fullest. It's been 4-5 years since I've

used it b/c I forgot I had it. Small kitchen jammed with "stuff".

BUT, I do want to use my Champion juicer again. Is it C or M? And, I'd like to buy either the B or V, but I'm

pretty sure I do want the masticating kind.

What do you say? Give me specifics as requested above. THANKS!

I have a vitamix but if I was repurchasing the same style I'd probably go with the blendtec. I have a friend who has owned both and will never go back, her vitamix just didn't work as well for the same price. At all the coffee and bubble tea shops I worked at we used vitamix but again, hindsight and research leads me to think blendtec is better designed overall.

Well, I know several people who swear by the Magic Bullet machines. I just bought a Nutribullet Pro, but since it is still in the box, I can't give you a review. Is there a reason the you were *not* considering one of those? I think the othe machines are more versatile, but all I want to do is make smoothies, most likely green smoothies. I stopped at Trader Joe's and found a helpful staff member who pointed me towards chia seeds, etc.

• Like 1

Well, I know several people who swear by the Magic Bullet machines. I just bought a Nutribullet Pro, but since it is still in the box, I can't give you a review. Is there a reason the you were *not* considering one of those? I think the othe machines are more versatile, but all I want to do is make smoothies, most likely green smoothies. I stopped at Trader Joe's and found a helpful staff member who pointed me towards chia seeds, etc.

I know that's a nice appliance too - my interest is to have an appliance that can perform many, varied tasks.

This is still all a little confusing to me and I'm learning. Hence the reason for posting here where there are

many people with points of views. :)

• Like 1

I bought a Vitamix and returned it. I just was not impressed.

I got a Blendtec and I am pleased. It works very well and their refurbished machines carry a full warranty for the same length of time as new machines. Vitamix's refurbished have a 2 years' less warranty on refurbished.

• Like 2

I vote for Vitamin; just can't imagine life without it now...No smoothies and hot-soup...no way :laugh: .  And I never want another blender that has me cleaning or handling the blade.  Confession, I have no idea what a Blendtec is, but I do use my vitamix everyday and have since December.

I do use it for things other than the smoothies and hot-soups.  Honestly, I'm still discovering what it will do and I love the no-dishwaser or sink cleanup; love, love , love that it cleans itself in a minute.  I do have the wet and dry containers, so I'm able to do a lot of things.  Peanut butter is pretty awesome without all the processed yuck in it.  I'm going to try grinding flour in it after I use up stash.

• Like 1

ok, I realize now I'm misinformed. ChrisVa, thanks for your reply as it got me thinking. For some reason, I was assuming blending and

juicing were "somewhat" synonymous. Not sure why I thought that. However, I'm looking for 1 machine that does it all and I'm finding

out it doesn't exist w/o compromise.

So, a blender is centrifugal, right? It uses blades and is high-speed to "blend". What else does it do?

Blenders are masticating, right?

Below was extracted from a website explaining a little bit. I understand now that c are high speed and usually blenders.

Masticating is low speed and usually juicers. Is this right so far?

Vitamix is in its own category b/c while it's considered a blender at high speed it blends the "whole" food and then you can strain out

the seeds and pulp. Why strain pulp though? Isn't that where good nutrition is found?

Then there is the question of the high speed and the heat that kills the enzymes.

OK, I think I want a juicer for top nutrition.

Vitamix blends fruits and veggies (it's a C type). Does an M blend Read below.....

There are also claims that juicing cleanses the body of toxins and allow you to absorb enzymes, which aid in digestion and other

metabolic functions. It’s tough to find credible, unbiased research that proves these claims, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t true. Onething is true: When juice is heated, some vitamins and minerals are destroyed. It is necessary to heat juice that is sold commercially

in order to kill harmful bacteria. So even if fresh juice or juicing doesn’t cleanse the body of toxins or enhance the body’s metabolic

function, it does have more nutrients than commercially-prepared juices.

There are two basic different types of juicers with a third alternative– centrifugal, or high-speed juicers, and masticating, or

low-speed juicers. The difference between a Centrifugal Juicer and a Masticating Juicer is like night and day. The last option is the

Vitamix.

Centrifugal Juicers work at high speeds, tend to be noisy and while a centrifugal juicer may be able to juice the rind of a pineapple

efficiently, in most situations, the low speed action of a masticating juicer allows you to juice more vegetables with greater

efficiency. A masticating juicer tends to be a lot more quiet (almost silent!), less messy and easier to clean.

A Masticating Juicer (Such as the Hurom Juicer) is especially good at juicing the very important green leafy vegetables such as wheatgrass, spinach, parsley, cilantro, kale, Swiss Chard, etc. While a centrifugal juicer can juice green leafy vegetables, the centrifugal

juicer is nowhere near as efficient as a masticating juicer in this regard.

Some say the high speed action of a centrifugal juicer produces too much heat which then can damage or possibly kill the enzymes in the

juice. One thing is for sure, a masticating juicer definitely does not create the friction that a centrifugal juicer will create.

Another significant benefit of a masticating juicer is that it requires less vegetables, in many situations, to create more juice. As a

result, you spend less on vegetables than you would with a centrifugal juicer.

Masticating juicers do cost more than centrifugal juicers, but for the health benefits, the savings on produce and the much longer

warranty they carry, in the long run they are a better buy.

The third option is the Vitamix High Power Blender. It is not really considered a juicer because it uses the Whole Food and does not

extract any of the product- rather, it blends the fruits and veggies into a smooth puree. The Vita-Mix’s blades pulverize the skins,

seeds and peels of whole foods to make them easily digestible. With the addition of a liquid, you have a nutritious, tasty beverage that utilizes ALL of the fruit with no waste.

Just put your fruits and vegetables in the Vitamix, add a little bit of water (this is optional, but will make the blending faster) and

turn it on. Once the ingredients have been blended into a puree, you can drink it as is, or strain the puree with a cheese cloth or a

cotton bag to separate the juice from the pulp. The cleanup is much faster than with traditional juicer.

Extraction juicers discard the pulp- which is where the nutrients like vitamin A, C and E and the minerals like iron, copper, iodine and magnesium are trapped. The Vitamix high power blender doesn’t throw out the most nutritious part of fruits and vegetables. It also does

much, much more and definitely worth consideration when evaluating juicers.

Come in to see our selection of juicers- you’re sure to find the one to suit your needs and we’re here to help you understand all the

benefits of each option!

ok, I think i'm getting waaaay too involved in this.  the mixer was ALOT easier for me to decide! LOL! :)

I DO NOT get this.  I've spent hours researching this and while I understand the text but the concepts seem to contradict each other. 

Will someone help me with this?  A juicer fanatic, perhaps.  LOL!

Blenders = Centrifugal = high speed/high heat of fruits/veggies, fast but destroys nutrition/enzymes.  However, it leaves in more pulp which is higher fiber.

Juicers = Masticating (cold press)  = low speed/low heat of fruits/veggies, sloooow but keeps nutrition.  But, if removes the pulp which makes it lower in fiber.

Is it choosing b/t nutrition/enzymes OR fiber?  Huh?

I don't get this.   I don't even know now which one I want b/c I'm either compromising nutrition/enzymes OR fiber. 

Can someone help me with this before I scream?  :)

Then I'd like stainless steel components and not plastic which is not healthy (on top of everything else)!

Edited by sheryl

Well, I think you've figured out that blenders and juicers are not the same thing. I have a Vitamix. It will pulverize just about anything to near liquid state. I do smoothies in mine, and unless you do it for a long time, it is not going to heat anything up. Especially if you throw some ice or frozen fruits and veggies in there. You *can* use it to make hot soups by blending for quite a while longer than you do for a smoothie. 

Reading your first post, it seems like you are wanting a juicer, not a blender. 

Edited to add, the Blendtec is basically the same thing as the Vitamix, just a different brand with small differences that make some people prefer one to the other. They are both blenders that work the same way. 

Edited by VaKim
  • Like 2

When you envision drinking your juice are you wanting a think liquid, that is similar to orange juice texture....or a smoothie?  A juicer can make lighter more refreshing juice as well as a heavier juice, but it will still be thinner consistency.   A smoothie is thicker, more filling/satisfying, and not really what I would consider thirst quenching.

If you want orange juice texture, then get a masticating juicer.  Yes, it will leave the pulp behind, but you can get more juice from each of the veggies/fruits that way.  A juicer is a way to get the most nutrients out of the juice from fruits/veggies/seeds/ect per cup of liquid going in the body...but you are throwing away all the benefits of the fiber/pulp. 

If you want a smoothie texture, then get a Blendtec or Vitamix.  They are powerful centrifugal blenders that can blend just almost any fruit/veggie.  Over time, you will figure out how to make perfectly smooth drinks with it. (ie I blend coconut and milk until smooth before I add the ice cream for a coconut milkshake.  That way I am not over blending the ice cream waiting for the coconut to get ground up).  A blender will give you Every nutrient that a fruit/veggie/seed has to offer (not just the juice).  You can't get as many servings in a glass, because you have all of the fiber and pulp in there too....which are high in their own valuable nutrients. 

I see that they mention straining a Vitamix (blended) juice in the article, but that seems like it would be a bit of a chore to me.  Sure it would be possible, but I really can't imagine doing it myself.  It would really have to be juicy fruits to make that work (Like oranges) because the fiber would clog all the straining holes.  Maybe cheese cloth would work, because you could twist it and force the juice through, but that really seems like a lot of effort to me. 

I like my Vitamix (never used a Blendtec), because I make the kids a breakfast in a glass as they head out the door for school.  The fiber and pulp help to add bulk and keeps the kids going longer in the morning before lunch.  A juice doesn't last them as long.  

The Vitamix is self cleaning, with a dot of dish soap and good swirl on the blender.  I only had wash mine with a wash cloth if I use something oily in it or anything with nuts (one of dd's friends is allergic and I want to make sure to get the blender as clean as possible).

I see that the 'high heat' of a blender seems to bother you.  If you start with cool items going in to the blender, then cool items come out.  Unless you really have to pulverize something like a seed or a heavy rind like pineapple, I can't imagine the heat really being an issue.  I don't use many rinds, due to chemical use on plants (unless you buy organic which is extremely expensive if you are juicing them), so I don't have that problem. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

Thanks everyone!  I get it now.

Tammyla, thanks!   Tap, Wow!  Your reply is exactly what I've been researching in detail.  It boils down to pros and cons of both.

Either keep the fiber/pulp (blender) which adds bulk and levels out blood sugar levels better OR discard pulp (juicer) which keeps the nutrients in tact but not the pulp so there may be a slight sugar spike. 

Did I mention I have a Champion that I haven't used in years?  I'll go back to using that as my juicer, right?  But, all in all, doesn't the blender produce the healthiest kind of drink?  It is thicker and not quenching but it does have the fiber/pulp?  I think tammyla said something like everything that goes in, stays in and you drink it.  So, wouldn't that surpass a juicer?  Why then is a juicer so sought after?  Thanks!

I can't vote. I have a vitamix, my friend has a blentec. As near as we can tell, they produce identical results and seem to be identical in terms of cleaning etc.  So, go with price. 

I got a refurbished vitamix here:

https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Certified-Reconditioned-Series

Neither produce 'juice'.  If you want that with a blender  you have to buy a nutmilk bag and squeeze out the juice. I have one and have used it exactly once. I bought the bag off Amazon for about 5$. Maybe sometime I'll make almond or rice milk with it.

I own a juicer, but not a masticating one. I have decided I am too frugal to juice. The pulp left over is just too much for me to deal with. I feel like I am composting 3/4 of the perfectly fine produce I bought to make juice. I've made carrot cake with it, etc, but after the second or third time it just seems wasteful.

• Like 4

I voted Blendtec, but I bought a Oster Versa Professional blender.  It has been great and cost a fraction of a Blendtec or Vitamix.  I got it as a Lightning deal on Amazon.

But I had researched the other two a lot, and if I was going to spend the money I would have went with the Blendtec.  I liked the warranty better, as well as the ease of cleaning.  I think both are good, and you can't go wrong with either, but I felt as if Blendtec had the edge.  

Which ever you get, enjoy your new blender. :) 

• Like 1

The reason I bought a Blendtec over a Vitamix is the ease of cleaning. The Blendtec mixers don't get taken apart. You just blend some soapy water in them for a minute. I think they're both great products, but the difference in the cleaning process made the decision easier.

That is exactly how i clean my Vitamix.....I've never taken it apart.

• Like 5

Ok, there ARE two types of JUICERS. I had one that is centrifugal. It juices, which means it squeezes the juice out of the fruit/veg and leaves behind the pulp (i.e., things that are not juice). It does it by spinning really fast against a screen.

The masticating ones leave behind the pulp, too, but they are slow and don't heat up because they aren't spinning really fast. They are like a giant screw that presses against the stuff you put in. They grind/extract better on leafy vegs and some say they produce up to 20% more juice and leave drier pulp.

Now, BLENDING is completely different. It's--well, BLENDING--everything gets chopped up super small--your end product contains everything you put into the blender, with no left overs.

As far as heating, you have to blend OR centrifuge for a good while to actually heat up the juice. Enzymes are destroyed at about 118 degrees. With the Vitamix, the soup setting lasts about 6 minutes. THis is for really hot soup.  When you just blend with it, your ingredients don't really heat up before they are blended smooth, esp if you start with cool ingredients. Centrifugal juicers don't heat juice up to 118 either. And, some nutrients become more bioavailable when heated, so there's that...

THere, does that help?

Oh, and the benefits of juice (no fibrous material--remember, it's left behind) over smoothies (everything smooshed together) is that your body doesn't have to contend with the fiber--so it's both a benefit and not a benefit, depending what you want.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 4

I bought my Vitamix more than 10 years ago, and it's still going strong. I use it constantly, including making sorbet from 100% frozen fruit, which works the motor pretty hard. Costco often has "demos" and good deals on Vitamix; that's where I got mine. If it ever gives out, I will definitely get another one.

FWIW, I also have a juicer, and it's such a pain to take it apart and clean everything that I gave up. It just wasn't worth all that work for a glass of juice. Plus, as a PP mentioned, there's all that pulp left over and I didn't want to have to choose between making muffins every day or throwing away 3/4 of the produce. With the Vitamix, I can make a smoothie (no waste) and then just blend a little hot water and dish soap; it's clean in under a minute with no more work than pushing a button.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

Okay, so getting a little involved, although I haven't read all the replies.

First, I think you need to decide on juicer vs. blender.

Originally, I read juicing sites because I wanted a juicer.  And the more you read juicing sites, the more you'll want a juicer too.

BUT

I think  they're wrong, dead wrong.

And I sold my juicer.

And I bought a blender.

The reason is this:

There are oodles and oodles of goodness in fruits and veggies.  HOWEVER, drinking any juice gives you a sugar load, albeit natural.  Now, God intended for us to eat fruits and veggies, but I personally believe the reason most of them are packed with fiber is because it helps with that sugar load.  And you don't want that sugar to send out the spike in blood sugar, thus sending out insulin... Especially if you have any weight issues or are heading into pre-menopausal ages when your body is less protected by hormones and you're more likely to gain weight.

IMO, get the benefit of added fruits and veggies but don't skip the fiber.  And the cost, I'll just toss that caveat in there.  I managed to kill my guilt at throwing away a lot of the veggies and fruit by feeding them to the chickens and making muffins, but frankly?  It was a waste.

So, not a juicing fan here, although we juiced for quite a long time and while I don't deny ONE BIT  that it was great for us, I do sincerely believe smoothies are the healthier way to go.

That said, I own a blender now.

And, it's a Blend Tec. ;)  My reasoning was simple - it can do what a Vitamix can for less cost and it holds more servings.  It is INCREDIBLY easy to clean.

• Like 3

Well, all righty then! :)  

I've bounced back and forth b/t (first) V, B, V, B and now I may actually be back to V.  The B looks awesome.  It does have 2 blades which are duller and the rpms are higher.   V has 4 blades which are sharper and lower rpms.  Because of that one review said that the B may not "blend" as efficiently as V believe it or not with the founder/owner blending phones and wood.  But, maybe when it comes down to "wet" ingredients that may be true.  Still haven't FULLY decided, but I'll let you all know.  I REALLY appreciate your responses - every one of them.  And, a shout out to Tap and Chris for the detail which helped me "process" (HA - no pun intended) the info! 

Well, I will probably go with V but have not FULLY decided.  I'll let you know. 

Kelly, Thanks!  I worded in a similar fashion but like your wording better.  The fiber helps to counterbalance the fruit sugars/carbs.  This all makes sense.  I do believe now, with the help of these replies, I'm ready to buy a blender.  Just making a final decision as to which one.   

measure where you want it to go.  I have a 'next generation' vitamix. It is shorter and more square than the older Vitamix. It also fits better on my counter, under a cupboard.  If it were the older, taller model I am not sure it would fit with the lid on.

Don't spend money on one with 'settings' or programs, like 'soup' etc.  I have heard that you never use them.  You just need on-off, the dial to take it up in speed, and pulse.

My vitamix is so easy to clean that I started using it for things like making hummus or refried beans. It is much easier to clean up than my food processor.

My water is hard so my vitamix got a hazy film inside from water. Plus, I make turmeric ginger tea in it almost every single day. So, I sort of dyed it bright yellow, lol.  I found that using denture cleaning tablets and hot water got it looking like brand new again.  It lasted a day, until I turned it bright yellow again. Oh well.

• Like 1

That is exactly how i clean my Vitamix.....I've never taken it apart.

Me neither. Not ever, not even at drink shops. We were always told *not to*.

I didn't know it came apart. I clean mine the same way. I have no complaints about my Vitamix. It's been heavily used for over a decade, and it works just like the day I got it.

• Like 1

measure where you want it to go.  I have a 'next generation' vitamix. It is shorter and more square than the older Vitamix. It also fits better on my counter, under a cupboard.  If it were the older, taller model I am not sure it would fit with the lid on.

Don't spend money on one with 'settings' or programs, like 'soup' etc.  I have heard that you never use them.  You just need on-off, the dial to take it up in speed, and pulse.

My vitamix is so easy to clean that I started using it for things like making hummus or refried beans. It is much easier to clean up than my food processor.

My water is hard so my vitamix got a hazy film inside from water. Plus, I make turmeric ginger tea in it almost every single day. So, I sort of dyed it bright yellow, lol.  I found that using denture cleaning tablets and hot water got it looking like brand new again.  It lasted a day, until I turned it bright yellow again. Oh well.

Yes, indeed.  I had to make sure my new mixer would fit under my cabinets as well and it does!  The Next Generation (G series) is the one I've been eyeballing for some time now since I learned about them.  The tall one is just fine but now there is a shorter version I think I'd go with that to go under my cabinets as well.   The V's height is 17 1/2" and from counter to under cabinet is 17 3/4 maybe + so it will be "barely" under my cabinets.

This refers to my mixer but I'm thinking I may do this with the V as well.  A few years ago I bought paper thin plastic cutting boards.  I don't use them b/c they are plastic and not healthy.  (I actually need a recommendation for a good, natural one that does NOT absorb foods and cleans easily!).  But, there are 3-4 plastic "sheets" and I may put one under my mixer and one under the V to easily "pull" from back up against the backsplash - to use the appliances more easily.  This way I don't need to slide the mixer or V and ruining the base of each.  They should slide forward easily enough on the plastic sheets.  OK, enough digress....

Re: special settings. Nope, not getting that one.  Way expensive and I don't think I'd use it.  I don't think they are necessary and you can use the appliance without them and accomplish the same results. 

Edited by sheryl