Menu

Cheap Large Family Vehicle!

abba12

So, we went to pick up our new trampoline today (for anyone who remembers, we did indeed get our refund, after much nagging. This second trampoline was perfect and even newer than ours)

Out the front of the house was a white stretch limousine! As we moved closer we saw toys in the backseat, and the tinting was damaged from age. We asked the man about it while we packed up the trampoline, and he said he has 6 kids with number 7 on the way. When they needed to upgrade to a truly large family vehicle he looked at prices. The second hand ones large enough were all run down. Naturally, many large families or community groups offering transport don't prioritize regular car services or maintenance since money is tight. He looked at the prices of new cars in his size range, and they were, obviously, very expensive. But then he realized he could apparently get a second hand limousine for a price cheaper than the new large family vehicles. The car itself was in great condition since, obviously, car problems on the way to a wedding or major event are not acceptable, so it was in peak condition, just too old for commercial use. 

So this family with 6 little kids rides around in a white stretch limousine. I'll bet that looks good at the school and church!

Now you know the secret, I expect all you large family mamas will be driving limos by next year. You're welcome :D

• Like 30

I'd honestly worry about the safety, most stretch limos have seating along the side of the frame and that is terrible for crash forces and neck control. If the seating were added back in to be front or rear facing or be on board.

I knew a family who had 14+ kids in the home and dad worked far away so mom was having to drive them around herself and they bought a second hand limo bus. Seating all around the edges. Probably not the safest vehicle. And horrible gas mileage I would assume.

I had a roommate in college who drove an older funeral limo. Her parents sold them and ambulances for a living. It always surprised me a bit when I saw it out front of our place.

When I was in college, to many of my friends that would have been enough of an oddity to be cool!! I knew a guy who transformed an old school bus into a driving party. He would get 10-15 of his friends and go to different places together on the weekends. It had tables and a fridge.

• Like 2

So, we went to pick up our new trampoline today (for anyone who remembers, we did indeed get our refund, after much nagging. This second trampoline was perfect and even newer than ours)

Out the front of the house was a white stretch limousine! As we moved closer we saw toys in the backseat, and the tinting was damaged from age. We asked the man about it while we packed up the trampoline, and he said he has 6 kids with number 7 on the way. When they needed to upgrade to a truly large family vehicle he looked at prices. The second hand ones large enough were all run down. Naturally, many large families or community groups offering transport don't prioritize regular car services or maintenance since money is tight. He looked at the prices of new cars in his size range, and they were, obviously, very expensive. But then he realized he could apparently get a second hand limousine for a price cheaper than the new large family vehicles. The car itself was in great condition since, obviously, car problems on the way to a wedding or major event are not acceptable, so it was in peak condition, just too old for commercial use. 

So this family with 6 little kids rides around in a white stretch limousine. I'll bet that looks good at the school and church!

Now you know the secret, I expect all you large family mamas will be driving limos by next year. You're welcome :D

And I'll be googling how many they seat! ;)

• Like 2

I had a roommate in college who drove an older funeral limo. Her parents sold them and ambulances for a living. It always surprised me a bit when I saw it out front of our place.

I had a high school friend who drove a hearse but that was a Six Feet Under situation- her family owns a funeral home and the hearse was too old for funerals but in perfectly fine working order.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

We used to go to a little church with several large families. One family there did drive a limo for the same exact reasons you shared. He even tried to convince us to go that way when number five was on the way and we were looking for a car, but I wouldn't be able to stand the inevitable stares involved with driving a limo around town!

• Like 1