Menu

Transcript help--assigning credits for community college classes

My daughter is taking American Sign Language at the local community college this year. I have read that a semester college class is the equivalent to a year of high school. She will have completed two semesters of ASL by the end of this school year. Can I actually give her 1 credit for each class? Or should I stick with one credit total for the entire year?

Thank you!

It varies. Here in TX, I can google the local ISDs (Independent School Districts) dual credit programs. Many of those 3 CC credit classes are listed at 1/2 high school credit for their dual credit programs. I don't see how I can list it as 1 college credit when the local high schools are only counting it as 1/2 credit.

My daughter is taking American Sign Language at the local community college this year. I have read that a semester college class is the equivalent to a year of high school. She will have completed two semesters of ASL by the end of this school year. Can I actually give her 1 credit for each class? Or should I stick with one credit total for the entire year?

Thank you!

We always assign one high school credit for one semester community college course. It makes sense to me.

• Like 1

Echoing Bambam's reply: it really does depend:

A VERY general guide (will vary from school to school):
   3-unit college course = 0.5 credit high school course
   4-unit college course = 1.0 credit high school course
   5-unit college course = 1.0 - 1.25 - 1.50 credit high school course (depends on how much lab time, level of the science course, etc.)

To help determine how to award credit:
- What is your community college's (CC's) specific policy for assigning credit?
- How do  the local public schools count these same dual enrollment credits?
- How does the college course compare to high school courses in amount of difficulty, volume of content, student output, and student time invested?
(Is the 1-semester dual enrollment course comparable to approximately 1 year's worth of high school work? If yes, then it equals 1 credit; if not then no, it equals 0.5 credit)

FWIW:
DSs here did dual enrollment, and I had to count the credits differently:
- our school systems and community college have no set policy on awarding credit for dual enrollment
- each 1 semester 4-unit foreign language course DID equal 1 year's worth of high school in content, output, and time invested; so each semester was awarded 1.0 credit
- the 1-semester 3-unit college Writing course was light even compared to 1 semester's worth of high school in content, output, and time invested; so I awarded 0.5 credit

Original Poster: A 1-semester 4-unit ASL class would look like a 1.0 credit high school to me. Our DS#2 did 2 semesters of ASL as dual enrollment in his senior year at our local CC, and I awarded 2.0 credits. ?

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

It varies. Here in TX, I can google the local ISDs (Independent School Districts) dual credit programs. Many of those 3 CC credit classes are listed at 1/2 high school credit for their dual credit programs. I don't see how I can list it as 1 college credit when the local high schools are only counting it as 1/2 credit.

I appreciate this info too. When my son, who went to public high school, took a year of Spanish 3, it was considered the equivalent of the semester of Spanish 101 at the community college. When he began at the cc after high school graduation, he began with Spanish 102. From this, I am assuming my state will allow counting one semester of cc work as one credit of high school work, but I will check into this further.

After I posted this I saw the pinned thread started by Lori D. with an absolute WEALTH of info related to this topic. I am reading that thread. Thank you, Lori D! I should have looked before posting. :)

• Like 1

5-unit college course = 1.0 - 1.25 - 1.50 credit high school course (depends on how much lab time, level of the science course, etc.)

To help determine how to award credit:

- What is your community college's (CC's) specific policy for assigning credit?

- How do  the local public schools count these same dual enrollment credits?

- How does the college course compare to high school courses in amount of difficulty, volume of content, student output, and student time invested?

(Is the 1-semester dual enrollment course comparable to approximately 1 year's worth of high school work? If yes, then it equals 1 credit; if not then no, it equals 0.5 credit)

FWIW:

DSs here did dual enrollment, and I had to count the credits differently:

- each 1 semester 4-unit foreign language course DID equal 1 year's worth of high school in content, output, and time invested; so each semester was awarded 1.0 credit

- the 1-semester 3-unit college Writing course was light even compared to 1 semester's worth of high school in content, output, and time invested; so I awarded 0.5 credit

Original Poster: A 1-semester 4-unit ASL class would look like a 1.0 credit high school to me. Our DS#2 did 2 semesters of ASL as dual enrollment in his senior year at our local CC, and I awarded 2.0 credits. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you so much! I didn't see this when I posted my last post on this thread; we must have been posting at the same time.

While I have your attention, I want to say a BIG thank you to you,Lori. I have gleaned so much info from your posts in the past, even though I rarely post here. While searching this forum, I have gained so much knowledge that you have shared. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to post all that you do!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2016 at 3:55 PM, Hikin' Mama said:

Thank you so much! I didn't see this when I posted my last post on this thread; we must have been posting at the same time.

While I have your attention, I want to say a BIG thank you to you,Lori. I have gleaned so much info from your posts in the past, even though I rarely post here. While searching this forum, I have gained so much knowledge that you have shared. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to post all that you do!

Glad something I've posted has been of help! ? My way of thanking all the wonderful, knowledgeable ladies who were ahead of me in the journey -- I could NOT have done it without their many, many words of wisdom and ideas! ?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

PS -- For anyone else reading this thread...

And I am NOT at all meaning to dismiss the posts by Laughing Lioness or Ellie. There really are cases where you need to assign 1 credit for a 3-unit course. You just need to do a little research and comparing to know how to handle it for your area. That's really the bottom line -- every area is DIFFERENT, so it's super hard to get a definitive answer asking on a board with members in so many different areas. All we can do is share what it's like in our area, or what we did -- which may not match YOUR area. ?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I was feeling a bit odd about assigning any and all DE semester class as a full year high school credit, so I asked the local (very highly ranked) ps what they did. They offer a DE program to seniors at the same CC we use. They said they always assign 1 year hs credit for a 3 or 4 credit CC class, so I decided if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for me, and to stop overthinking it.

• Like 4

Thank you all! My 10th-grade son started at our local CC last week, and he suddenly decided he wants to get an AA before he graduates from high school. I had already heard that a semester at CC = a year in high school, but the Spanish classes at the CC are 101A, 101B, 102A, 102B. This made me stop to come here to look for answers as to whether I could treat each semester course as a year of high school. Considering they are 5 credits each at the CC, I think he can get 1 high-school credit out of each one! Taking just 2 of the 4 semesters will save him a lot of time. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Edited by Teonei

PS -- For anyone else reading this thread...

And I am NOT at all meaning to dismiss the posts by Laughing Lioness or Ellie. There really are cases where you need to assign 1 credit for a 3-unit course. You just need to do a little research and comparing to know how to handle it for your area. That's really the bottom line -- every area is DIFFERENT, so it's super hard to get a definitive answer asking on a board with members in so many different areas. All we can do is share what it's like in our area, or what we did -- which may not match YOUR area. :)

It's good that you aren't meaning to dismiss our comments. :-)

I was the owner/administrator of a PSP (umbrella-type school) in California for 16 years. I always gave high school students 1 credit for each semester c.c. course (ok, in California it's 10 credits for a full year, but you know what i mean). I transferred students to campus schools with c.c. credits on their transcripts (which begs the question as to why, if they had already taken c.c. classes, they wanted to go back to high school, but there you have it), and graduated students who went on to college with c.c. credits, and there were never, ever any problems with that.

I see no reason for a semester-long c.c. to count as a full year high school credit. I mean, really, it's silly not to.

• Like 1

I'm curious about a wrinkle here - would it matter if the dual credit class was taken at a community college or a 4 year university? Typically we view CC classes as less rigorous than those at a 4 year school (and our experience definitely bears that out locally).

Teonei, if your CC is calling the courses 101A, 101B, as two different semesters, that means it's just like a year of high school. Those courses are definitely not worth a full high school credit each.  Typical college Spanish courses would be 101 the first semester and 102 the second, which each correspond to a full year of high school. 

Bambam, it may depend on the college and on the course.  For example, our local CC has a DE program that the public schools pay for students to attend.  The courses are all part of specific Associates degree programs and don't count toward transfer general ed credits, but they may still count as elective credit at certain institutions.

(Edited to correct information errors)

Edited by klmama

I will be counting 3-4 credit College courses as 1 full year's high school course.  It is standard in all 6 of the states I've lived in.  The state we're moving to we have to use an umbrella school both options I'm considering count each CC credit as equivalent to .33 H.S. credit, so a 3 credit CC class would be worth 1 full H.S. credit.

Thank you all! My 10th-grade son started at our local CC last week, and he suddenly decided he wants to get an AA before he graduates from high school. I had already heard that a semester at CC = a year in high school, but the Spanish classes at the CC are 101A, 101B, 102A, 102B. This made me stop to come here to look for answers as to whether I could treat each semester course as a year of high school. Considering they are 5 credits each at the CC, I think he can get 1 high-school credit out of each one! Taking just 2 of the 4 semesters will save him a lot of time. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

That's an odd way of listing course numbers.  I have seen it but it was the same class just different semesters.  So 101 (A) was offered in the Fall and 101 (B) was offered in the Spring with 101 being the same class.  I'd call the school to make sure and also to find out what your local schools give credit for when taking these classes.  In the end though, it's your H.S. and you can do it any way you want :thumbup1: (one of my favorite things about HSing)

I know you said it depends, but this really seems unfair to me.  If they go through almost an entire thick math book, for example, in a 3 credit college course, how is this only worth half a credit?  I wouldn't just have my kid do math for one semester per year, but still it doesn't strike me as fair to only give 1/2 credit for that. 

I know you said it depends, but this really seems unfair to me. If they go through almost an entire thick math book, for example, in a 3 credit college course, how is this only worth half a credit? I wouldn't just have my kid do math for one semester per year, but still it doesn't strike me as fair to only give 1/2 credit for that.

Exactly.

I guess it depends on if your state has set transfer agreements (then you go with those numbers), if your CC classes are the same as or harder than high school classes, and if you are looking at a university vs a CC (like a pp mentioned).

There is no way a foreign language class reading literature (3 credit) is worth less than first- or second-semester foreign language class (4 credit).

I'm giving 1 credit on dd's transcript for all the university classes she takes---3 or 4 or 5 (w lab) credits.

The situation [i[might[/i] be different if she were taking a class at our CC.

On 2/7/2016 at 9:37 AM, SparklyUnicorn said:

I know you said it depends, but this really seems unfair to me.  If they go through almost an entire thick math book, for example, in a 3 credit college course, how is this only worth half a credit?  I wouldn't just have my kid do math for one semester per year, but still it doesn't strike me as fair to only give 1/2 credit for that. 

In addition to the great explanations of klmama and Luckymama above:

1.  Weak class
The dual enrollment course I credited as 1/2 credit was a Writing course that did not even cover as much as a standard high school English class would have covered in 1 semester (I compared the syllabus with a lot of online syllabi). The course also fell far short of what we had covered in previous semesters of our homeschool Writing (and I am by NO means a rigorous taskmaster!  :tongue_smilie: ) So in this case it was not a entire thick math book, but a very weak Writing course. If you are the one getting to decide, ake it on a case-by-case basis. Then, in your math course example: look at the level of work (higher math), amount of work (1 year of math in 1 semester), output (student completed the math book/course) and time invested (student put in hours a week outside of class). Sounds like 1.0 credit, no problem. ?

2. Requirements
In some areas, homeschoolers have to follow state regulations, which may require them to count dual enrollment in the same way as public schools do, which may be to only award 0.5 credit. (Or, the policy of the community college doing the dual enrollment may be to only grant 0.5 credit.) Not fair, but neither is life. ?

3. Money
While this reason doesn't really affect homeschoolers (except those who chose to return to public high school partway through), it does affect public high school students. Our state has been very hard hit by the economic downturn and has cut back on education spending. High schools in our area only count dual enrollment classes as 0.5 credit to prevent losing money from the state, which gives money to schools based on students being in classes at the school for a certain amount of hours. The schools start losing money if students are taking dual enrollment rather than the high school's classes, so they count only the hours of "butts on seats" in the dual enrollment class -- and a 4-unit class meets for 4 hours a week, which comes to only enough hours to equal 1 semester of work, so the school awards 0.5 credit. The level of work, amount of work, and outside-of-class work are disregarded by the school. Again, not fair. ?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Exactly.

I guess it depends on if your state has set transfer agreements (then you go with those numbers), if your CC classes are the same as or harder than high school classes, and if you are looking at a university vs a CC (like a pp mentioned).

There is no way a foreign language class reading literature (3 credit) is worth less than first- or second-semester foreign language class (4 credit).

I'm giving 1 credit on dd's transcript for all the university classes she takes---3 or 4 or 5 (w lab) credits.

The situation [i[might[/i] be different if she were taking a class at our CC.

What do you mean with "set transfer agreements" ? 

At the end of the day I doubt anyone cares what I count stuff as to be honest.  I'm told to jump through all these crazy hoops for the homeschool regs and when it comes down to it, nobody cares what I did.  I have already had this happen where I was asked about what I have done to satisfy the regs and then when I offered to bring my paperwork was told no that isn't good enough.  For example, when I was enrolling my kid for a class at the CC they asked how he fulfilled the requirements.  So I told them.  Why bother asking me because they didn't take what I said seriously anyway?  He ended up having to take a placement exam.  That isn't a big deal, but it kind of bothered me that I follow the regs and do what I'm supposed to do and nobody cares anyway (a whole other discussion I realize). 

Yes that makes sense.  I would not count remedial courses as a full credit.  I would consider them similar to high school classes. 

In addition to the great explanations of klmama and Luckymama above:

1.  Weak class

The dual enrollment course I credited as 1/2 credit was a Writing course that did not even cover as much as a standard high school English class would have covered in 1 semester (I compared the syllabus with a lot of online syllabi). The course also fell far short of what we had covered in previous semesters of our homeschool Writing (and I am by NO means a rigorous taskmaster!  :tongue_smilie: ) So in this case it was not a entire thick math book, but a very weak Writing course. If you are the one getting to decide, ake it on a case-by-case basis. Then, in your math course example: look at the level of work (higher math), amount of work (1 year of math in 1 semester), output (student completed the math book/course) and time invested (student put in hours a week outside of class). Sounds like 1.0 credit, no problem. :)

2. Requirements

In some areas, homeschoolers have to follow state regulations, which may require them to count dual enrollment in the same way as public schools do, which may be to only award 0.5 credit. (Or, the policy of the community college doing the dual enrollment may be to only grant 0.5 credit.) Not fair, but neither is life. :(

3. Money

While this reason doesn't really affect homeschoolers (except those who chose to return to public high school partway through), it does affect public high school students. Our state has been very hard hit by the economic downturn and has cut back on education spending. High schools in our area only count dual enrollment classes as 0.5 credit to prevent losing money from the state, which gives money to schools based on students being in classes at the school for a certain amount of hours. The schools start losing money if students are taking dual enrollment rather than the high school's classes, so they count only the hours of "butts on seats" in the dual enrollment class -- and a 4-unit class meets for 4 hours a week, which comes to only enough hours to equal 1 semester of work, so the school awards 0.5 credit. The level of work, amount of work, and outside-of-class work are disregarded by the school. Again, not fair. :(

Here in WA, the state has mandated that a 5 (quarter) unit CC class is equivalent to 1 high school credit.  Five quarter units are equivalent to 3 semester units.

Even so, I decided that it seemed to me that the 5 (quarter) unit classes my son took at the CC were really equivalent to 0.5 high school credits.  For example, precalculus was divided into two 5 unit classes, which was in scope and sequence equivalent to a one year high school course.  Same with calculus--the first two quarters were the equivalent of AP Calculus AB, which would receive one credit at the high school.  And my son's Comp I and II courses required about as much work as a regular one year high school English course (and far less than I would require for a homeschool English course).  

Because of all of this, I decided that even though the state said that 5 (quarter) units was always equivalent to 1 high school credit, I would grant 0.1 high school credits per 1 quarter unit, making most of the classes he took equivalent to 0.5 high school credits.

• Like 1

I'd take into consideration what is usually done locally, but I'd make my own decision.

I have no problem assigning a 3 hour college class one credit, but it was something equivalent to what I'd do in a semester for 1/2 credit, I'd probably go that route.

On the other hand, my son is in AP Calculus BC this year which the university will count as two four hour classes. Since it is only one high school class, I'm only giving one credit. Next year he'll take calculus 3 over one semester and then a different university math the next and I'll assign one credit to each.

• Like 1

Here in WA, the state has mandated that a 5 (quarter) unit CC class is equivalent to 1 high school credit.  Five quarter units are equivalent to 3 semester units.

Even so, I decided that it seemed to me that the 5 (quarter) unit classes my son took at the CC were really equivalent to 0.5 high school credits.  For example, precalculus was divided into two 5 unit classes, which was in scope and sequence equivalent to a one year high school course.  Same with calculus--the first two quarters were the equivalent of AP Calculus AB, which would receive one credit at the high school.  And my son's Comp I and II courses required about as much work as a regular one year high school English course (and far less than I would require for a homeschool English course).  

Because of all of this, I decided that even though the state said that 5 (quarter) units was always equivalent to 1 high school credit, I would grant 0.1 high school credits per 1 quarter unit, making most of the classes he took equivalent to 0.5 high school credits.

Where did you find that information?  I have no idea where to look.

On 2/7/2016 at 10:28 AM, SparklyUnicorn said:

Try doing a search with "state name, dual enrollment". Or a search with the name of the specific college you would do dual enrollment with + "dual enrollment".

Sparkly, you're in NY, as I recall? Here is the NY State Dept. of Ed's policies on NONpublic school students and dual enrollment (though, at a quick skim, I didn't see anything on transfer agreements or credit equivalencies…) NY is pretty finicky about homeschoolers and high school / graduation / college, so you may want to give a shout out post on the high school board to other NY homeschoolers, or talk to some local homeschoolers with high school students/graduates who have walked this road before you. ?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Some high schools might list their way of translating DE units into HS credits in their course catalog. I just found the requirements yesterday by googling my local high school's website and poking around to see if they posted it. There was a pdf course catalog that gave me the info I needed. Not all schools do this of course so next step might be just calling them?

• Like 2

Try doing a search with "state name, dual enrollment". Or a search with the name of the specific college you would do dual enrollment with + "dual enrollment".

Sparkly, you're in NY, as I recall? Here is the NY State Dept. of Ed's policies on NONpublic school students and dual enrollment (though, at a quick skim, I didn't see anything on transfer agreements or credit equivalencies…) NY is pretty finicky about homeschoolers and high school / graduation / college, so you may want to give a shout out post on the high school board to other NY homeschoolers, or talk to some local homeschoolers with high school students/graduates who have walked this road before you. :)

The link is not working for me for some reason.  The only tiny bits I know is that our local high school only offers a very specific set of CC courses.  These are mostly delivered at the high school via video or computer.  They are not available to homeschoolers.  These are all things the school simply does not offer. 

So I consider myself going it alone to determine what it all means.  Individual colleges in the future will do what they will with the information.  As far as how this satisfies the homeschooling regs, I'll deal with that aspect separately. 

There is also an equivalency type option (all having to do with NY specific rules for being granted a degree from a NY university) where a student can use 24 credits from a CC that loosely resembles a high school program.  So a math course, an English course, a history course, a science course, etc.  That sort of thing.  Not sure if we will go that route yet. 

In terms of reaching out to people locally, my requests are usually met with cricket sounds.  No joke.  I don't know why that is. 

Even so, I decided that it seemed to me that the 5 (quarter) unit classes my son took at the CC were really equivalent to 0.5 high school credits.  For example, precalculus was divided into two 5 unit classes, which was in scope and sequence equivalent to a one year high school course. 

We're in a different state, but our state has the same policy as yours.  That said, I did exactly as you did for the same reason.  My daughter took two separate classes -- College Algebra and Trig (five and four unit classes in her case) -- which I deemed equivalent to a high school level precalculus course.  Therefore, I gave her one half high school credit for each of these courses as well as subsequent courses she took at the community college.

Regards,

Kareni

On 2/7/2016 at 12:53 PM, SparklyUnicorn said:

The link is not working for me for some reason. 

Bah!  :thumbdown:  I had that problem, too, when I tried to directly click on the website from the google search, so that means it wasn't just me and my computer… I was able to get to the page through this website: Let's Homeschool High School: Dual Enrollment in Your State -- scroll down to NY and click on the "NY Dual Enrollment Info" link, and see if that works for you, too.

In terms of reaching out to people locally, my requests are usually met with cricket sounds.  No joke.  I don't know why that is. 

Double bah!  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Well, let's hope that's just because they don't know or aren't at that stage themselves, and not out of some weird snubbing issue (lol)… How about contacting some of the larger NY homeschool groups/associations and asking for info? I know some groups are pretty exclusionary and only provide info to paying members of the group, but surely they aren't ALL like that??

...So I consider myself going it alone to determine what it all means.  Individual colleges in the future will do what they will with the information.  As far as how this satisfies the homeschooling regs, I'll deal with that aspect separately...

If online dual enrollment works for your student, and if that will satisfy your state credit requirements, I know several people on these boards have mentioned some universities that offer online dual enrollment classes… There's a secular college in… New Mexico?? … that has been mentioned a few times. And these online dual enrollment providers have been mentioned by WTMers before:

University of Florida Dual Enrollment online
Bridgeway Academy Homeschool programs: Online Dual Enrollment (Christian)
Liberty University Online Academy: EDGE Dual Enrollment program (Christian)
Bellhaven University High Scholars online dual enrollment (Christian)

There is also the possibility of College Plus Pathway, which is online classes and CLEP testing to knock out gen. ed. requirements as dual credit, and then upon high school graduation transfer for the last 2 years to a college that accepts those credits.

BEST of luck in soon getting some answers rather than crickets! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

There is a CC in the state that offers courses for $55 per credit (dual enrollment).  It's too far for us, but they include on-line.  So I'm hoping to have him take some of those.

I looked at the Florida school.  I can't figure out what they charge for that. 

Our local CC is very affordable.  $509 per 3 credit course and that includes a bus pass. 

Thanks for your help! 

Bah!  :thumbdown:  I had that problem, too, when I tried to directly click on the website from the google search, so that means it wasn't just me and my computer… I was able to get to the page through this website: Let's Homeschool High School: Dual Enrollment in Your State -- scroll down to NY and click on the "NY Dual Enrollment Info" link, and see if that works for you, too.

Double bah!  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Well, let's hope that's just because they don't know or aren't at that stage themselves, and not out of some weird snubbing issue (lol)… How about contacting some of the larger NY homeschool groups/associations and asking for info? I know some groups are pretty exclusionary and only provide info to paying members of the group, but surely they aren't ALL like that…??

If online dual enrollment works for your student, and if that will satisfy your state credit requirements, I know several people on these boards have mentioned some universities that offer online dual enrollment classes… There's a secular college in… New Mexico?? … that has been mentioned a few times. And these online dual enrollment providers have been mentioned by WTMers before:

University of Florida Dual Enrollment online

Bridgeway Academy Homeschool programs: Online Dual Enrollment (Christian)

Liberty University Online Academy: EDGE Dual Enrollment program (Christian)

Bellhaven University High Scholars online dual enrollment (Christian)

There is also the possibility of College Plus Pathway, which is online classes and CLEP testing to knock out gen. ed. requirements as dual credit, and then upon high school graduation transfer for the last 2 years to a college that accepts those credits.

BEST of luck in soon getting some answers rather than crickets! Warmest regards, Lori D.

In MN the state mandates 7 quarter credits or 4 semester credits must equal a full 1 year of HS for public districts.

According to Minnesota Statutes 124D.09 Subdivision 12, “A district shall grant academic credit to a pupil enrolled in a course for secondary credit if the pupil successfully completes the course. Seven quarter or four semester credits equal at least one full year of high school credit. Fewer college credits may be prorated.†

On 2/7/2016 at 1:36 PM, SparklyUnicorn said:

There is a CC in the state that offers courses for $55 per credit (dual enrollment).  It's too far for us, but they include on-line.  So I'm hoping to have him take some of those...

...Our local CC is very affordable.  $509 per 3 credit course and that includes a bus pass. 

Whew! You have some good local options, then. ?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1