Menu

How to strengthen lungs after bronchitis/pneumonia

Garga

I had bronchitis two years ago and it was really bad. People could hear my every single breath crackling in my lungs from across the room.

For a year and a half after that, I coughed every single time I laughed.

Two years later, I still have a thing happen every night where juuuust when I'm about to fall asleep I get a tickle in my lungs. I cough a time or two and it goes away and I fall asleep. Every single night. 730 nights now. (I had bronchitis at this exact time two years ago.)

And here I am with a cough again. Not bronchitis, but just some sort of winter cold. I'm on the tail end of it and this time it didn't get horrible, but I can't laugh without coughing and I fear it'll be another year of that. Along with my nightly cough.

So....is there a way to somehow strengthen one's lungs? Aerobic exercise, perhaps? Deep breathing? Some sort of vitamins?

Anyone ever try to purposely strengthen their lungs so they don't cough when they laugh or when they're falling asleep? Or is it that I don't need to strengthen my lungs, but need to do something else?

I'm subbing because I have the same concern but on a smaller scale from a cold I had this winter. I know sometimes coughs can linger for months, but I'm so over it already. Sorry to hear this has gone on so long for you. Not fun. 

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

FWIW, I don't think I'd necessarily use the term "strengthen" with lungs (that is another topic), though I might think about strengthening the immune system.

Perhaps your lungs are overreacting to something (with inflammation, as in asthma) or you are having trouble getting rid of the germ(s).  Or both.

I like pomegranate (juice or capsule), though there are tons of supplements out there to attempt to address germs and/or inflammation.

What works for me to keep asthma at bay. Every body has different deficiencies so it may not work as well for you

Vitamin C to reduce scurvies and shorten flu so that the throat and lungs are not taxed. Works really fast for my hubby in preventing bleeding gums, less fast for me.

Chicken soup because my elders say so. Can be explained by traditional chinese medicine and probably by culinary science as well

Swimming which really help strengthen my pulmonary and cardio system.

Fish oil or Cod Liver Oil works for boosting my immune system. Reduce flu and contact allergy severity for me and my kids.

• Like 1

I had a bad case of pnuemonia and coughed for months afterwards.   believe it or not - yoga has really helped my breathing and lung capacity.  (especially twisting poses.) it's like it clears out *anything* in them.  also, working on improving the immune system.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

When I was in the hospital with pneumonia, the respiratory therapist gave me a plastic contraption that measured how much air I could hold in my lungs and for how long. Using it felt really great. I will try to find online. Or maybe a session with a respiratory therapist would help.

ETA

The contraption is called an incentive spirometer. Mine looked like the one in the picture.

http://www.cts.usc.edu/lpg-breathingcoughingexercisesafterlungsurgery.html

Edited by Alessandra

When I was in the hospital with pneumonia, the respiratory therapist gave me a plastic contraption that measured how much air I could hold in my lungs and for how long. Using it felt really great. I will try to find online.

Peak flow meter? I had that for monitoring my asthma

http://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/asthma/living-with-asthma/managing-asthma/measuring-your-peak-flow-rate.html

ETA:

Saw your update. Never seen that before, interesting.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

When I was in the hospital with pneumonia, the respiratory therapist gave me a plastic contraption that measured how much air I could hold in my lungs and for how long. Using it felt really great. I will try to find online. Or maybe a session with a respiratory therapist would help.

Its an Incentive Spirometer.  You can buy one on amazon or probably locally from any CVS or Walgreens type pharmacy.  Exercise also will help.

Do you cough up phlegm?   When I detoxed my lungs from allergies I coughed up all kinds of nasty stuff for months any time I even slightly forced my lungs to expand past resting inspiration.

Stefanie

• Like 2

I was told that playing a wind instrument would help strengthen lungs in a preemie whose lungs collapsed when she was born.  Flute and tuba take the most air, but oboe is supposed to be very good too.

But it does sound like something is causing irritation or inflammation, and I would want to get that checked out.

Peak flow meter? I had that for monitoring my asthma

http://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/asthma/living-with-asthma/managing-asthma/measuring-your-peak-flow-rate.html

ETA:

Saw your update. Never seen that before, interesting.

Its an Incentive Spirometer. You can buy one on amazon or probably locally from any CVS or Walgreens type pharmacy. Exercise also will help.

Do you cough up phlegm? When I detoxed my lungs from allergies I coughed up all kinds of nasty stuff for months any time I even slightly forced my lungs to expand past resting inspiration.

Stefanie

Yes, incentive spirometer. It felt so good to really fill the lungs. It really, really felt good! I asked the therapist if it would be harmful to do the exercise more times than she suggested, and she said no. Lungs are not like muscle in that they can get over exercised I am not a medical professional, but that is what I heard as it applied to me.

I am also a great fan of guafenesin, an OTC expectorant. It always takes a bit of work to find the Robitussin or other brand of guafenesin that is not combined with other medicines, but it does exist.

I just retread your post about the tickle or whatever. One thing you might to get checked is asthma. I developed it temporarily when I had pneumonia and had it for about a year or so afterwards whenever I got a cold. Cough medicine did nothing, then I would remember I had an inhaler, and it fixed the cough. Not what one thinks of as typical asthma, but asthma nonetheless. It's all gone now. Btw, it was missed by a number of doctors and discovered by a good clinical diagnostician osteopath. This may not be you at all, but I thought I'd mention anyway.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

About 7 years ago, I developed a really severe case of bronchitis that lasted for months and then turned into Pneumonia. it was so bad I had scaring on my lungs, and the Dr.s called it Pleurisy. I that that was an outdated term, but for about 4 years after that, the cough lingered and I had severe breathing problems. About every other month I was on antibiotics, and it was a struggle just to breathe. I finally read about Elderberry and its effects on the lungs- I started taking it regularly, and then making my own as it was so much cheaper that way and it was able to help them heal. It took a couple of years, but I stopped having to go on antibiotics, and now they do feel quite strong. Whenever I lax on it, I'll start having problems again. The nice thing about elderberry is that there's no knows side effects. I couldn't even take a short walk at that point without wheezing, and being short of breath, so I did strengthen my lungs with more gradual excersise as well.

• Like 1

Our asthma doctor recommended swimming for my son when he was young. I found that it was also helpful for me after a months-long bout with allergies and bronchitis. Be aware that at first it may be really tiring and you might feel it's not worth the effort. Hang in there. Just walking through water is a good start.

Simple exercise:

Breathe in as deep as you think you possibly can. Hold it.  Try to gasp in a bit more air.  Hold it for as long as possible.  Exhale slowly and completely.

Allow regular heart and breathing rate to resume.

Repeat.

My doctor had me doing these every time I brushed my teeth (just to remind me to do it morning and night) and it truly worked wonders. 

• Like 1

Its an Incentive Spirometer. You can buy one on amazon or probably locally from any CVS or Walgreens type pharmacy. Exercise also will help.

Do you cough up phlegm? When I detoxed my lungs from allergies I coughed up all kinds of nasty stuff for months any time I even slightly forced my lungs to expand past resting inspiration.

Stefanie

No, nothing is coming up anymore. It's just a tickly feeling now. The nightly cough just when I'm about to drop off to sleep is an overwhelming tickle and I cough a time or two and it's gone.

Right now at the end of the cold, I cough here and there throughout the day and a few times when trying to sleep but nothing comes up. When I laugh, it sets off coughing, but nothing comes up.

I'm just scared that if I don't try to do something soon, I'll start having worse and worse issues; that when I get sick, it will linger longer and longer. I'm really thankful for all the suggestions here. There are a number of things I can immediately try. You guys are great!

Edited by Garga

ETA

The contraption is called an incentive spirometer. Mine looked like the one in the picture.

http://www.cts.usc.edu/lpg-breathingcoughingexercisesafterlungsurgery.html

i have one of these and use it almost daily.  It sits on my nightstand, and I use it before bed.  My doc recommended it after a particularly nasty case of bronchitis.   I think it's made a difference.  I have an inexpensive one that  I purchased from Amazon.

Edited by Artichoke

I think it can just take a long time. I had a bad case where I was hospitalized for suspected meningitis when I was a young adult, they said I nearly had a lung collapse.  I had played the flute for years beforehand so they couldn't hear anything in my breathing, but it was clear on an x-ray, which they only gave because I said it was hard to breathe and it was clear from my blood and high fever that I had an infection somewhere.

After that it was probably 5 years before I felt normal again when I exercised. And honestly I still don't know if my lungs will ever be the same or if I just got used to it, but it stopped bugging me.

I found the thing that helped most was exercise.  Aerobic exercise.  Running or cross country ski machine. I'd run three steps and cough.  It was very frustrating.  But eventually it got to be closer to two miles, and now it only bugs me if it's really cold or if I'm sick.

About 7 years ago, I developed a really severe case of bronchitis that lasted for months and then turned into Pneumonia. it was so bad I had scaring on my lungs, and the Dr.s called it Pleurisy. I that that was an outdated term, but for about 4 years after that, the cough lingered and I had severe breathing problems. About every other month I was on antibiotics, and it was a struggle just to breathe. I finally read about Elderberry and its effects on the lungs- I started taking it regularly, and then making my own as it was so much cheaper that way and it was able to help them heal. It took a couple of years, but I stopped having to go on antibiotics, and now they do feel quite strong. Whenever I lax on it, I'll start having problems again. The nice thing about elderberry is that there's no knows side effects. I couldn't even take a short walk at that point without wheezing, and being short of breath, so I did strengthen my lungs with more gradual excersise as well.

I finally remembered! Ever since I read your post, I've been thinking the word "elderberry" to myself in a terrible french accent. I've been wondering why. Why do I keep thinking the word "elderberry" in terrible French??

Finally remembered! The French knights hurled silly insults at King Arthur in that Monty Python movie. Here's the clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAy4zULKFDU

(Thanks for the tip about the elderberries. I'm going to buy some when I'm out on Thursday.)

Edited by Garga

My husband has been really susceptible to getting coughs that just last and last.  Last time he got one, I think it lasted almost a year and then even when it was over he still had pain in his chest.  In case you're wondering why we didn't go the doctor, it's because we've spent thousands of dollars in the past on doctors and testing (different problem than this) in the past with no results and we don't have insurance to cover that kind of thing.

He was pretty desperate.  He started taking Plexus Ease and his lungs quickly started feeling better.  I've looked at the ingredients since to see what they all do, and it makes sense.  New Zealand Green Mussel Powder, serrapeptase, and turmeric are all good ant-inflammatory agents. Bromelain is also good for inflammation and helpful with allergies and asthma by calming down an over-sensitive immune system.  It might be worth a try. 

BTW, he went on a hunting trip out west that involved a lot of steep climbing shortly after this and he said his lungs had never felt better.