Menu

Bakers? Redsquirrel? I'm watching DH make sweet rolls. And cringing.JAWM

Ginevra

Thanks for the update.

I'm still trying to comprehend that someone's DH is baking.  And not only baking, but with yeast.  Mine thinks he's all sorts of special if he scrambles a couple of eggs for his own breakfast!

Mine is the real baker/chef in the house. Sometimes he does rolls from scratch, sometimes not.

Edited: just saw the update

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

I would suspect pod people if my husband baked something.  I'm not positive he could find the flour.  The first year we were married, he tried his hand at bread baking.  He got pretty good at it, and could do several types without a recipe because he mostly read theory books.  He hasn't produced a single loaf in  22 years.

• Like 3

I would suspect pod people if my husband baked something.  I'm not positive he could find the flour.  The first year we were married, he tried his hand at bread baking.  He got pretty good at it, and could do several types without a recipe because he mostly read theory books.  He hasn't produced a single loaf in  22 years.

My husband used to make fabulous sourdough bread.  He liked kneading and could do it for the length of time required - he has large hands and is strong, and the counter was the right height for him.  I prefer to let the kitchenaid to the kneading.

Now, he just makes the occasional pizza crust, or lazy-Saturday-morning waffles.  

• Like 2

I don't know if it will make you feel better but... I am notorious for my search of the perfect recipe.  Once I think I have it--My dh usually pulls a can or box out and sticks it in the oven.  Presto!!! He's quite sure they are as good or better than mine.  He really truly believes that his quick cheesecake out of a box is superior to my homemade amazing cheesecake.  His cheesecake is basically cheesecake flavored pudding.  He, also, loves those biscuits in a can and believes they are just as good as homemade from scratch biscuits!!! :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:

Tori

P.S. This isn't meant as criticism of my husband. It's more of a gourmet loving foodie vs a creature that believes Steak -n- Shake is the best food on earth!

Edited by torikei
  • Like 4

If my dh could cook, let alone bake something, I would be. ...doing something pretty awesome. ...

But I had a girlfriend who would make sweet rolls in the morning and didn't start them the night before. She would roll them out and put them in a hot oven to raise and bake at the same time. I'm not exactly sure how she did it, but they are pretty good. Not the best ever but pretty dang good. My girls never let me hear the end of how they never had fresh, out of the oven sweet rolls in the morning.

• Like 2

Glad they were edible!

Instant yeast can be added directly to the flour rather than first being dissolved in water - it has no magical rising properties!

For your recipe: I have a couple of recipes I use where the bread is fridge-risen. It doesn't rise much more once removed from the fridge, but I seem to get different baking results based on whether the dough is still cold when it goes in the oven, and I guess that would depend on ambient room temperature. For us the house is s lot colder in winter than summer and I'm still struggling to figure these differences into my baking.

Have y'all seen the Campbell soup commercial. Where the man is on the couch sick and he says something like "my mom use to make me soup when I was sick". Woman walks off comes back and tosses a phone to man and says "you should call your mom"

Lol, yes, I have seen that. :D

This is one of those times when you just stand back and say, with as much sincerity as you can muster, "Honey, these are great! Thanks for doing this this morning!"  Everyone in your house will know that yours were better. And if they don't know, they will. And if that doesn't happen, YOU will know, and that is enough for now. 

My husband decided to tackle fruit cake this season.  He spent $$$ on good ingredients and then tossed the first one out because he overcooked it.  The second one has been sitting in cheesecloth for at least a month, and I am guessing he's continuing to brush it with rum?  I'm wondering if it's going to be here next Christmas.  I loathe fruitcake, even the idea of it, so I'm not asking.  :glare:   Apparently, he's happy about it--in any event, he's happy that I'm not saying anything!!

This made me laugh. :lol:   My grandmother used to bake Stollen - a version of fruit cake. It had to sit and get brushed with alcohol. She started in November - I think, to be ready for Christmas. I envision your dh brushing his little pet fruit cake tenderly with rum. Perhaps you will enjoy it by Easter?

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I'm glad your home is peaceful now, Quill.  :)   Our kitchen is usually peaceful; I think DH and I have an unspoken agreement to stay out of each other's way unless asked.  (Although last night I had to butt in and remind DH and DS to wash their hands after dealing with trash and before touching the salmon!)

I've been tempted to try orange rolls or Quiver's rolls, but DH and I aren't all that into sweet breakfasts, so I'm afraid I'd make them and then DS would eat 2/3 of them the first day and then I'd have to throw the rest out after he forgot about them. 

DH, before he was my dh, once watched in slack jaw horror as his roommate decided he had a lot of extra cheese in the house so he was going to make a "cheese cake".  He had mozzarella and cheddar cheese. He added eggs and milk and sugar to a bunch of grated cheese and put it in the oven.  There might have been some flour in there. I tried to tell him that a cheese cake is really just a baked custard and doesn't have those sorts of things in them, but he literally laughed in my face.  So, we left when he put it in the oven.  I am pretty sure he had to throw the pan out because it made a blackened mess that boiled over and spilled all over the oven.

This is hilarious!  Did the guy ever explain what he was thinking?  Did he even realize how far off he was?

This is hilarious!  Did the guy ever explain what he was thinking?  Did he even realize how far off he was?

No, but, in all honesty, he is an exceptionally stupid person.  That was a long time ago when they were both out of college and his life in the last almost 20 years has shown that :sad:  At least I think he was out of college... he might have flunked out.  DH never quite get the story from him. He was a roommate of convenience, not someone who started as a friend before they lived together. They did have friends in common

I don't usually make such pronouncements about people, but he's still in town, and occasionally asks dh for help with stuff. He's got some issues absolutely, but he's also, clearly, just not that bright. 

But he did give us something against which all cooking failures have been judged.  No matter how bad dinner is (and we have had some flops) it's better than Larry's cheese cake!

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 3

Have y'all seen the Campbell soup commercial.  Where the man is on the couch sick and he says something like "my mom use to make me soup when I was sick".  Woman walks off comes back and tosses a phone to man and says "you should call your mom" 

That would so backfire here.  MIL would LOVE that.  I'm married to Raymond.  You know, from Everybody Loves Raymond?  THAT is my MIL..lol.

• Like 3

I can totally agree with you and almost see something similar happening with my DH.  

But, I'm thinking you haven't tried Quiver's Cinnamon Rolls.  So easy, and the best cinnamon rolls I've made.  I've made Ree's and thought they were okay.  Quiver's are SO much better and less fussy.

Please excuse the temporary derail here. I looked at the recipe. What size pan do you use with it?

I can totally agree with you and almost see something similar happening with my DH.  

But, I'm thinking you haven't tried Quiver's Cinnamon Rolls.  So easy, and the best cinnamon rolls I've made.  I've made Ree's and thought they were okay.  Quiver's are SO much better and less fussy.

Agreeing with this. I tried both and we like Quiver's better.

You know Quill, it occurs to me that memory is rather faulty. I wonder just how good his mother's rolls were and if yours weren't just as good but in his memory he glorified them because it's a nostalgic thing.

Agreed. 

I decided early on (but still not early enough) that it's of no use try and replicate someone else's 'specialty,' particularly something they grew up with. Either mom can make it for him, or he can attempt it himself. 

It's a recipe (see what I did there?) for hurt feelings, bc the cook works really hard to please the other person, and it's not likely they will say, WOW, this is way better than what I grew up with! Because nostalgia. 

Also, I grew up with Cajun & Creole cooking, and dh grew up with midwestern cooking, and I had literally never tasted some of the dishes he wanted me to cook. He would be trying to explain their version of Thanksgiving stuffing to me, and I'd be like, you want me to crumble bread, add sage, and cook it? 

• Like 1

Please excuse the temporary derail here. I looked at the recipe. What size pan do you use with it?

I use a 9x13 cake pan for one batch of Quiver's rolls.  I slice them into 15 rolls, so I get 5 rows of 3 cinnamon rolls.  Smother those bad boys with cream cheese frosting while they are still a tiny bit warm and the frosting starts to melt into the rolls...

• Like 1

You know Quill, it occurs to me that memory is rather faulty. I wonder just how good his mother's rolls were and if yours weren't just as good but in his memory he glorified them because it's a nostalgic thing.

Yeah, and I knew this would be true and even said so. His mother was a very good cook and baker in her day, but objectively, some of the food he remembers so wistfully was good, but nothing special. IOW, they were tasty enough, but not at a level that no one else could possibly own, KWIM? Just between me and the World Wide Web, I think I turn out a much better Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Nostalgia is why I have never had coconut cake as good as my grandmother's...but when I found her "recipe," I learned that the frosting was Cool Whip with coconut flakes on it, and the cake was Betty Crocker. :D She also made a delicious pot of spaghetti, but for all I know, she dumped Prego in there and called it a day.

ETA: typo that totally changed my meaning

Edited by Quill
  • Like 4

Agreed. 

I decided early on (but still not early enough) that it's of no use try and replicate someone else's 'specialty,' particularly something they grew up with. Either mom can make it for him, or he can attempt it himself. 

It's a recipe (see what I did there?) for hurt feelings, bc the cook works really hard to please the other person, and it's not likely they will say, WOW, this is way better than what I grew up with! Because nostalgia. 

Also, I grew up with Cajun & Creole cooking, and dh grew up with midwestern cooking, and I had literally never tasted some of the dishes he wanted me to cook. He would be trying to explain their version of Thanksgiving stuffing to me, and I'd be like, you want me to crumble bread, add sage, and cook it? 

Ok, so he has someone with your cooking creds in the house and he asks for midwestern food?  That is like....like...putting Joe Manganiello in your movie but telling him to keep his shirt on. You don't pay for Manganiello abs and not use Manganiello abs. You certainly don't put a sweater on him.

You don't marry a girl with your roots and not beg for etouffee, and you don't ask her to make Kansas city barbecue

Yeah, and I knew this would be true and even said so. His mother was a very good cook and baker in her day, but objectively, some of the food he remembers so wistfully was good, but nothing special. IOW, they were tasty enough, but not at a level that no one else could possibly own, KWIM? Just between me and the World Wide Web, I think I turn out a much better Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Nostalgia is why I have never had coconut cake as good as my grandmother's...but when I found her "recipe," I learned that the frosting was Cool Whip with coconut flakes on it, and the cake was Betty Crocker. :D She also made a delicious pot of spaghetti, but for all I know, she dumped Prego in there and called it a day.

ETA: typo that totally changed my meaning

Now, I don't have a problem with that, lol.  I can make a MUCH better cake than Betty Crocker, with about the same effort as opening a box, but cool whip and coconut flakes could be awesome.

I love cool whip, but I haven't had it in prob 30 years.  So, that might be the nostalgia talking.

• Like 2