Menu

Most nerd-tastic Christmas present?

Over the years, we've exchanged some pretty seriously nerdtastic pressies here at our place and the wishlists can be quite....unusual.

One year, all my daughter wanted was a rain gauge. She was 7.

This year's winner at our place was a loupe.

When I told my husband that I'd ordered a loupe for DD(9), he thought I'd said toupe.  :lol:  That would be even more weird...

Oh, we love our loupe and we really love saying loupe. Loupe. Loupe. Loupe. Ah, all good now.

• Like 6

Ds 7 asked for "Hot Wires" set, Raspberry pi, a set of books "Murderous Maths", Japanese abacus and a pocket microscope. 

A little one, 5,  asked for a car engine! :confused1: no way we'll buy it and bring it home :) Previously a real steering wheel and a dash board were bought and now it seems he does not want to stop  :cursing:

Edited by rushhush08
  • Like 4

Ds was super happy to receive three of the Good Times Travel Agency books that our library didn't have. They were used copies to boot. He promptly read them one after another. Dh got the complete set of Star Wars. To top it all off, I was thrilled to discover I'd been given a Great Courses gift certificate.

• Like 1

A gallbladder :) (actually, two-a cross section on a slide, and a stuffed toy version).

where did you find a toy gallbladder?  Who makes this...and why?  How large can the TAM for stuffed gallbladders possibly be?

One Christmas. DH bought an RC car and he and DS stuck a Lego Mindstorms project on it and drove it all over the house flinging colored balls everywhere. A few months later they rigged that RC car to become a portable, RC Estes rocket launcher.

Last Christmas, they bought another RC car to act as the feet of a robot. They bought some pipe like things from Home Depot to make the body and stuck a smart tablet on as a head. They installed Wink and Pandora and other apps in the tablet. We now have an RC smart lighting and music system. I can summon the robot to me whenever I want to turn the lights on or listen to music.  :D 

• Like 6

How did he like the Spero BB-8? My boys ask for that for their birthday but Target and Brookstone was out during Black Friday so it is now very much belated.

DS13 got one for xmas...and LOVE LOVE LOVEs it.  It is ridiculous just how much he adores this thing.

• Like 2

One Christmas. DH bought an RC car and he and DS stuck a Lego Mindstorms project on it and drove it all over the house flinging colored balls everywhere. A few months later they rigged that RC car to become a portable, RC Estes rocket launcher.

Last Christmas, they bought another RC car to act as the feet of a robot. They bought some pipe like things from Home Depot to make the body and stuck a smart tablet on as a head. They installed Wink and Pandora and other apps in the tablet. We now have an RC smart lighting and music system. I can summon the robot to me whenever I want to turn the lights on or listen to music. :D

We have seen recently microduino mcookie and ds is asking it for his bd. i think it's so cool. I wanna play myself with it )) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015XWR0SE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

where did you find a toy gallbladder? Who makes this...and why? How large can the TAM for stuffed gallbladders possibly be?

I figure there must be a lot of nerdy biologists out there! DD has a large collection of giant microbes (stuffed microorganism and cells), a growing collection of stuffed organs, and a stuffed Higgs Boson :) (OK, that's bridging into physics...).

• Like 5

Bach's Well Tempered Clavier sheet music, Anki Overdrive RC car system (DH and DS have already started programming the cars), a larger and new upgraded violin, Raspberry pi, python programming book.

I almost bought this. Do they love it?

We're not very esoteric with our choices. I think our nerdiest Hanukkah gift this year was a Brock Magiscope and 200 slide kit. Last year, it was Snap Circuits and Thames & Kosmos kits.

• Like 1

I almost bought this. Do they love it?

DS is nuts about it. He actually wanted no gifts for Christmas this year, so we surprised him with Anki Overdrive. We followed it on kickstarter and bought it because it has a programming interface that kids can use to learn how to control the cars. The programming API is in beta stage on github now, but will be widely released in a while. 

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

Ah, you see? This is why I love hanging out here!

You folks and your kidlets are fabulously nerdy. Love it, love it, love it.

My vote goes to the gall bladder stuffed toy. You've out-nerded us, I believe.

Birthdays and Christmas are always nerd-fests around here (science books, nerdy jokes on t-shirts, documentary DVDs, cooperative board games that take several hours to play etc) but it's the quirky stuff I really love.

Keep 'em coming.

• Like 2

Over the years, we've exchanged some pretty seriously nerdtastic pressies here at our place and the wishlists can be quite....unusual.

One year, all my daughter wanted was a rain gauge. She was 7.

This year's winner at our place was a loupe.

When I told my husband that I'd ordered a loupe for DD(9), he thought I'd said toupe.  :lol:  That would be even more weird...

Oh, we love our loupe and we really love saying loupe. Loupe. Loupe. Loupe. Ah, all good now.

Interesting!

One of mine, who just got an apartment near university, got a salt and pepper shaker set in the shape of the Tardis and a Dalek. 

• Like 2

DS13 got one for xmas...and LOVE LOVE LOVEs it.  It is ridiculous just how much he adores this thing.

OMG, I just googled the BB8. I am so buying this for Sacha's bday! We actually just watched Episode 7 yesterday together -- it was a huge accomplishment for him to watch it in the theatre without getting scared and crying! THANK YOU!!

• Like 2

Ah, you see? This is why I love hanging out here!

You folks and your kidlets are fabulously nerdy. Love it, love it, love it.

My vote goes to the gall bladder stuffed toy. You've out-nerded us, I believe.

Birthdays and Christmas are always nerd-fests around here (science books, nerdy jokes on t-shirts, documentary DVDs, cooperative board games that take several hours to play etc) but it's the quirky stuff I really love.

Keep 'em coming.

We have a lot of the games, books, nerdy t-shirts (one of DD's is by the Black Mudpuppy comic artist (who is also a biologist) and has two axolotls-one little one, labeled "axolittle", one big one labeled "axolotl"), Doctor Who and so on here, too. This year one of my presents was two knit tank dresses-one with the Supergirl logo, one with Wonder Woman, both with detachable capes. And I'm the 43 yr old! But the gallbladder just made me grin-especially since I got DD the mounted slide, and her 13 yr old cousin picked out the stuffed one-separately! Yep, we're just a bunch of nerds...

• Like 3

Oh, I love nerdy t-shirts.

That axolotl-axolittle is priceless!

Our range here is mainly science, maths and quotes from favourite books.

My favourite is the octopi (pi symbol with 8 'legs').

My girls love having people read their nerdy shirts and look quizzical.

One shirt says 'What is wrong with this statement?'     This is both a great nerdy puzzle and a quote from the Mysterious Benedict Society, one of our all-time favourite book series. Double nerd points :001_smile:

• Like 1

DS (11) received a heated bed for Christmas.  No, he isn't getting too cold at night (which is what his cousins thought), however his 3D prints curl on the bottom so he needed a heated bed for his Printrbot Simple.  Oh, and more filament.  Apparently it's not possible to have too much filament.  :huh:

• Like 2