Menu

Today's the first day

lewelma

of math camp.

And it has been a rollercoaster ride for the past 2 days.  Excitement, worry, confidence, uncertainty...  Unfortunately, this year he *really* wants to make it into the squad of 12 again, and is *really* worried that he won't.  Did I work hard enough this year?  Am I better than last year? Was last year a fluke? I did not take my prep seriously enough.  What if I didn't take enough time off?  What if I'm still burned out?  So many worries.  :crying:

What is a mother to do but just exude confidence?  You did enough.  Your break was long enough (3 weeks).  You are not burned out.  You will be fine.  No one will judge you if you don't get in this year.  You love the camp.  You love the kids, the team atmosphere, the comaraderie.  It will be fine.  

So we got him packed up.  He brought six AoPS textbooks and 2 UKMT books and 3 other large resources.  This took up half of his suitcase and he did not have room for his dress shoes for the formal awards.  So socks and sandles.  I told him that if anyone commented, to tell them that it was either math books or shoes, and clearly math books took priority.  :lol:

He remembered his cards and ping pong balls.  Last year he was the only one who remembered the ping pong balls.  So he would bring them out, play, and then pack them away.  The kids would be like "where are the ping pong balls?"  Then he would bring them out, play, then pack them up.  "where are the ping pong balls?"  Finally on day 3, the kids realized that you could get them from reception. Apparently, mathematicians are a bit slow.  :001_smile:

Anyway, he will call tonight.  He finds out his BMO score today, and he wants to get into the 30s.  Year one he earned 1 out of 60, year two it was 25 out of 60.  This year, he wrote proofs for 5 out of 6 problems, so we are hoping for a decent score!

Ruth in NZ

• Like 17

He got a 42 on the BMO!!!   :hurray:

We looked it up, and only 25 kids out of 1300 in the UK/NZ/Ireland got 45 and higher this year (out of 60 points).  And there were no NZ names on the list (there was one last year), so he knows that he got one of the best marks of the kids at the camp, definitely top 6. The BMO is taken by kids aged 15-19, so he did VERY well!  Two years ago he got a 1 out of 60, and last year he got a 25. He did mention that this is going to be a very hard trend to maintain next year.  :001_smile:

He is feeling much more confident about making the squad of 12. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 27

He has been made a team leader for the games. Apparently, one member was missing so ds had to go find him.  Classes were on the 5th floor, so he ran down to the 1st floor where the cafeteria was, then up to the 10th floor where the other classroom is, then the 8th floor for the dormitories.  Back to the 5th to see if he was there yet.  Then back to the 1st floor one more time, where he found him.  

No elevator.  :tongue_smilie:

He said whenever he needs something from his room, it is 8 flights.  Yesterday, he went back to his room 5 times. 

At least the math kids are getting their exercise. 

• Like 9

He has been made a team leader for the games. Apparently, one member was missing so ds had to go find him.  Classes were on the 5th floor, so he ran down to the 1st floor where the cafeteria was, then up to the 10th floor where the other classroom is, then the 8th floor for the dormitories.  Back to the 5th to see if he was there yet.  Then back to the 1st floor one more time, where he found him.  

No elevator.  :tongue_smilie:

He said whenever he needs something from his room, it is 8 flights.  Yesterday, he went back to his room 5 times. 

At least the math kids are getting their exercise. 

I enjoy reading all about the camp. Good luck to your son. Do they not allow cellphones in the camp?

• Like 1

I enjoy reading all about the camp. Good luck to your son. Do they not allow cellphones in the camp?

Well, I sent him with one.  Didn't even think to ask.  oops.

The camp is structured for collaboration.  All the activites/games/competitions are done in teams, with the exception of the squad exam on the last day.  It seems like many of the math activities have an active component to them.  So Math Relay is where you have to run to the front of the room to get a problem, run back to the group desk to do it, and then run up to the front again to turn it in and get the next one.  So they keep the kids very active (plus this year the elevator is broken).  They also seem to practice a lot of verbal communication. In Math Battle, one team sends a representative to explain the proof to the group, and then the other team sends a representative to find an error.  Each kid is required/encouraged to take a turn, I think. They have lectures every day, split into Juniors and Seniors.  The first year you are a junior so you take the junior classes, but in following years you can sort yourself depending on the topic.  The lecturers are Auckland University Professors and a lot of previous IMO team members who come back to help.

Socially, they seem to play a lot of pool. DS brought out his ping pong balls on the second day, but apparently there was only 1 paddle.  But one kid played with his smart phone, so go figure.  They also do a lot of cards and one night is juggling (apparently all mathematicians juggle, who knew.)  This year the camp has been overrun with first timers 16 out of 28, my ds thinks.  So I talked to him about it being part of his responsibility as a senior to keep the culture of the camp going.  All the things that he has loved over the years, he needs to make sure keep happening.  So he ran around and found some kids to play Mafia last night. 

University of Auckland is in downtown Auckland, which is why they are in a high rise. Doesn't sound like they go out much except on the outing day.  Last year they were able to run the simulators on the naval ship, which apparently was pretty cool.  They also have one dinner where recruiters come and talk to them about opportunities and hand out lots of stuff to read.

Sadly, it is only a week long, but that week cost $600.  Sad to say, NZ is a language arts country, so there is not lots of money for maths!

• Like 3

He is running nervous again about the squad.  He says there are just a lot of really good kids there.  And I think we said the wrong thing last night on the phone.  Something along the lines of: 

'Do your best. If you give it your full effort, you know you have given it your best shot.  It's ok if you don't get in because you have plenty of other work to do next year. Let's just wait and see. You'll probably get in. '

This didn't seem to reduce his anxiety at all.  I think we need to say: 

'You are going to get in. You were in the squad last year. You got a top score on the BMO. And they want young kids like you to train them up.  You are going to do a bang up job on the squad exam.'  

I hate to raise his expectations to have them dashed, but our wishy washy approach was no good.  Problem is that we don't know the level of kids there; we are only hearing it through his eyes.  It is so hard when kids really want something.  It just increases the pressure.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3

He is running nervous again about the squad.  He says there are just a lot of really good kids there.  And I think we said the wrong thing last night on the phone.  Something along the lines of: 

'Do your best. If you give it your full effort, you know you have given it your best shot.  It's ok if you don't get in because you have plenty of other work to do next year. Let's just wait and see. You'll probably get in. '

This didn't seem to reduce his anxiety at all.  I think we need to say: 

'You are going to get in. You were in the squad last year. You got a top score on the BMO. And they want young kids like you to train them up.  You are going to do a bang up job on the squad exam.'  

I hate to raise his expectations to have them dashed, but our wishy washy approach was no good.  Problem is that we don't know the level of kids there; we are only hearing it through his eyes.  It is so hard when kids really want something.  It just increases the pressure.

Don't beat yourself up. You are taking an interest, and are there for him, come what may. That is what matters. I am so in awe of your son's dedication and persistence. Truly. I am confident that his efforts will be rewarded. 

• Like 7

It is fun to read about your sons adventures at math camp.  My daughter is in the same world, she is a mathematician but she didn't enter this world until college so we didn't do any math camps or other opportunities like that. She now runs a middle school girls math group and is loving it.

We (she is too young to rent a hotel room on her own) are at a job interview for her right now for a very competitive math-related job and she sometimes feels a little on the outside because she doesn't have the same pre-college background as every one else does even though her college experiences line right up with everyone else.

• Like 3

Who knows what the right thing to say is Ruth? I don't think I'd ever know for sure! I agree with Monique that you shouldn't beat yourself up.

Hey, did they rig those elevators on purpose? :laugh:

DD commented after last summer's program that they walked a lot. I'm guessing that was by intent-what better way to keep a group of extremely gifted kids manageable and actually get them to sleep at night than to have them moving, and moving a lot? I may send her with a fitness tracker this year, just out of curiosity :)

• Like 3

I'll ask him about the girls tonight.  It was lucky that there are two of them because there are two kids per room.  I know both are Asian.  There are only 3 non-Asians out of 28.

In other news, ds has finally found out that he got the third best score of the 28 kids.  He was beat by the 2 kids that were on the IMO team last year as 11th graders. They got 51 and 47, but were apparently not listed in the UK list like last year. The kids were drawing up their guess of the IMO team last night, and put ds on it!  He was very surprised because he thinks his chances are pretty slim as there are a lot of great mathematicians at the camp.  But he is definitely feeling better about making the squad of 12. The exam is tomorrow morning.  

• Like 7

Just got off the phone.  He is so nervous.   :sad:  I tried to give him the pep talked that I mentioned in a pp.  And after it he said "I just need someone to believe in me." So I got it right. I'm so glad.

We went through his strategy.  So: 2 hours to solve, 1.5 hours to write up, 1 hour to solve/write 1 more (yes, it is a 4.5 hour exam).  And then we may all sorts of alternatives because it kept saying things like "what if I only get 3 at first? then what"  etc.  So we made alternative strategies so that he knows what to do depending on how it is going.  This gave him more confidence.  I think what is happening is that the more he knows, the more he knows what he doesn't know, and that causes him to lose confidence. Sigh.  It is just so hard for *me.*  Self centered I know, but there it is.

• Like 7

((Hugs)) to him and you. That lack of confidence the more you know is something we face here, too. I suspect it's a sign of appropriate challenge :), but it's still hard to see when your kid, who is, by any objective measure, way, way better than the norm honestly is concerned that they're "not good enough".

• Like 5

((Hugs)) to him and you. That lack of confidence the more you know is something we face here, too. I suspect it's a sign of appropriate challenge :), but it's still hard to see when your kid, who is, by any objective measure, way, way better than the norm honestly is concerned that they're "not good enough".

Agreed!

Ruth, I appreciate you sharing your son's experiences, and the parenting that goes along with it.  I think I'm correct when I say a lot of us look up to you, it's nice to have other parents to glean wisdom from.

I hope he does/did well!

• Like 3

He got in!

They only chose 5 of the 11 seniors  for the squad, and 7 juniors.  (Juniors are first time camp attendies, and seniors are reattendies of the camp or 12th graders.)  DS said there were a lot of good juniors and he was right.  Now I know why he was running scared.

So he got 6 problems out of 9, and a number of juniors got in with only 4, so he was definitely in the top half.  Both girls made the squad!  There are 10 Asians, 1 Indian, and my ds of German/British ancestry.  There were 3 kids from our city!  whoopie.  Friends and peers!!!!!  DS is already talking about exchanging math problems with one of the kids who attends badminton with him, and of having some group study sessions including the 1 boy who did not make the squad (he roomed with him, he's younger so not upset he didn't make it).  

Also in very good news, they are changing the squad training.  Last year the lectures were held in Auckland because ds was the only member not there, and there were 4 massive 40hour assignments to turn in over the 12 weeks. There were handouts to read and lecture notes and the assignments and answers, and it was just so hard to keep track of all the emails and print and organize everything.  This year, instead, they will be using the Australian prep book and doing a chapter a week.  The kids will have to turn in 2-3 proofs per week on the topic.  *And* they will use google hangouts once a week to meet up and do lectures all together.  This is all just fantastic news, and will be such a better training program for ds.  

The three team selection tests are the BMO2, AMO, and the APMO which happen in the next 3 months.  The team will be chosen in April. DS thinks he actually has a chance this year.  gulp. Training starts on Monday!

• Like 24

And after it he said "I just need someone to believe in me." So I got it right. I'm so glad.

:001_wub:  The love in your posts is palpable. I wish I would have had someone like you (that believed in me) for my mom. So proud of you, Momma!

And, so proud of your ds!  :thumbup:  Yeah for peers in the same city (and for the two girls!).

He got in!

• Like 4

Thanks guys. All your support is so important to me. It can be really hard to talk about this with my local friends as most of them are either math-clueless or have kids the same age and I don't want to be braggy. It feels very real right now as they just asked for a copy of his passport.

For good or bad he also has the AoPS WOOT running until April. That plus the squad work should keep him out of trouble. (-;

When he got home he had a two hour nerf gun fight with his brother, and now he is watching Mr Bean. (-:

• Like 9

(And hooray for the other girls who qualified! )

I know! Both girls made it. DS said they were unbelievably quiet so that no one knew their level. They only talked to each other. )-:

There have been no girls on the squad for the prior two years.

• Like 5

Oh, I forgot to mention that ds was really interested by what the guest lecturer had to say.  He is a grad student at Harvard and was discussing all the possible careers out there for mathematicians. His talk was about all the stuff he wished he had known in high school, and he spent a lot of time talking about applied vs theoretical math careers. One thing that really stuck in ds's head was this guy's 22-year-old friend who was working as a coder/mathematician at SpaceX with a salary of $250,000 per year.  Um. Wow!  Not only has DS ever considered aerospace as a career path, he has also not connected math skill with money, and this was the first time anyone told him that his skill was actually in demand and worth some money. He is not driven by money, and is very interested in a career in theoretical maths, but the huge salary opened his eyes to other options.  I found it very interesting that he is having these discussions.  When I was 15, I never once thought about how different career options have pros and cons to them.  Just never crossed my mind. We keep telling him to keep his mind open to all the options and not to narrow until grad school.  

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

My parents asked about who organizes the camp and sponsers it.  This is the run down as far as I can tell.

Committee chair: organizes international aspect, connection to British and Australian MOs, and oversees whole process

Camp coordinator: high school teacher from Christchurch who has done this for 31 years.  Just stepped down last night.

Creators and graders of the NZ camp selection and squad selection problems: 5 University professors (from 3 universities)

Trainer of the squad: different university professor

Team leader and 2 deputies: travel with team to IMO (one of them this year is from Harvard)

Camp lecturers/leaders: Auckland University professors and previous camp attendies currently attending Auckland

Sponsorship/Grant person: hard won in NZ as NZ is a language arts country

Lower level exams creation and grading: NZ Mathematics Olympiad Student Association, run by University students throughout NZ

I'm sure there are others, this is just all I can figure out so far.  All volunteers.  What a huge job!

I am so happy for your ds! What an awesome accomplishment!

(I don't have anyone here to talk with about dd's abilities and goals. We're both tired of the responses when we answer questions. Most involve that quizzical face with the little lines between scrunched eyebrows.)

• Like 1