Menu

Are mapping activities in high school "busy work"?

I'm struggling with making my 7th grader make up work in his mapping activities.  He got behind in first semester because he took time to keep up in his significiant subjects: pre-algebra, BJU Life Science, and Language Arts/writing.  Math, science, and English are so much more important than mapping activities.  

I have two high school students now, and I required/am requiring them to complete maps, but I'm beginning to think this is kind of pointless because there is most likely little to no long-term memory potential to justify the time it takes to complete maps.

I would love to know what all of you do for mapping activities.  Is there a better way to get the same thing done?  Should we just skip mapping because this skill is likely to be learned along the way as they grow up and get exposed naturally to geography?  Don't misunderstand me; I believe it IS important to know where places/geographical features are. (And learning these along with historical events is how we're doing maps.)  I simply don't want learning this to become busy work and quickly forgotten.

I posted this same question on the Logic Board since my child in question is in 7th grade this year.  This same question, however, has implications for high school.  I'd love to hear all of your perspectives.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/581578-mapping-activities-im-beginning-to-see-them-as-busy-work/

For reference, I did two kinds of mapping in 'high school'.  In geography, I learned to draw free-hand maps from memory of the two areas of the world that we had studied in detail, in order to be able to reproduce them in an exam.  Also in geography, I learned how to read Ordnance Survey maps, and to translate contour lines into vertical representations.  In history, I think that the teacher just pointed at a map on the wall when we were discussing different places.  

I can't say that being able to draw a free-hand map of the Netherlands has been a crucial skill, but I'm glad to be pretty good at hiking with a map.

• Like 2

I think this is very student specific. FWIW, busywork for one child might be meaningful work for another child.

My memories of mapping activities as a high schooler are similar to Laura's. To me, maps meant a lot because of my intense interest in fine detail drawing. I can still remember being challenged in a very good way by Norway's fjords and this interest led to a very well-earned A in every world geography paper, regardless of whether or not freehand mapping was required in the exam (this was in a foreign country).

For my child, mapwork is utter and complete busywork.

Edited by quark
  • Like 2

If you are looking for a way to learn where countries are, there is this really great app that I use for myself.  It's basically a game, but it's addicting and after playing it over and over to improve my time I've learned where a lot of countries are.

http://www.amazon.com/Enjoy-Learning-World-Map-Puzzle/dp/B00AXWN4NU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1451586618&sr=8-10&keywords=world+map+puzzle+app

I've also seen it for free in the google app store.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 2

I learnt all my mapping in Girl Scouts in 7th grade. We had an orienteering badge to complete. Hubby learnt mapping in 7th grade physical geography in school and couldn't apply that knowledge when hiking and he gets confused by the GPS sometimes.

The only time mapping skills came in useful for academics that I know of was in the GIS course for my friend who major in geography, and for my land surveying course in civil and structural engineering.

My kids did mapping (topology, contour maps) in 3rd grade for a term. Then it is just learning while hiking and road trips.

I learned most of my own geographic knowledge because my grandmother made a competition of identifying places on a map when my cousins, sister, and I would visit her as children.   My daughter (now a college graduate who was homeschooled from 7th through 12th grades) did not have that same experience, and I sometimes regret that we did not do more geography during her homeschool years. 

We used this book for mapping activities as she studied world history:    World History Map Activities

I'll agree with others who said that whether mapping activities is busy work will depend upon the student.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

If you are looking for a way to learn where countries are, there is this really great app that I use for myself.  It's basically a game, but it's addicting and after playing it over and over to improve my time I've learned where a lot of countries are.

http://www.amazon.com/Enjoy-Learning-World-Map-Puzzle/dp/B00AXWN4NU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1451586618&sr=8-10&keywords=world+map+puzzle+app

I've also see it for free in the google app store.

There is also Seterra and my son really enjoys Geoguesser.

• Like 4

I think mapping is one of those activities that seems too easy or just busy work, but actually has many more benefits than what appears on the surface.  That being said, once you do the more basic map activities when your kids are younger, I think doing map activities that have to do with the particular subject you are studying (usually history, but not always) is very beneficial for older students.

• Like 4

I do think that knowing where countries &c are and knowing something about their terrain is so useful as an adult, in understanding current events & foreign affairs.  I have a poor knowledge of geography (improving through educating my children & also efforts on my own behalf) and notice that when I am trying to follow articles in Foreign Affairs often geography knowledge is so useful.  Understanding China's essential geography, the locations of deserts & mountains & main rivers * coastline relative to major cities, and the location of neighboring countries -- this clarifies China's history and current policy.  There is a type of understanding you can't get without a feel for the geography. 

One quick way, recommended by Simply Charlotte Mason, to establish and maintain basic map skills (aside from the excellent apps mentioned) is to simply print a blank map of a region for the child once a week or so, and have her label what she can.  Then teach the locations of one or two new countries/features, maybe review over the course of the week, and repeat with a new blank the next week.  This is low-tech and straightforward. 

Also, it seems to me that geography knowledge is different to mapwork: the knowledge seems useful, but the methods of mapwork may not suit or may not be required. 

Laura, I agree that being able to "map" from a contour map onto one's actual location and use it to navigate is a terrific skill!  what a great point about practical geography. 

ETA: quark, those are awesome!

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for the ideas, ladies!  I am especially interested in the computer games.  Before I explore them, I need to ask if they stream data.  I think they probably do.  We have satellite internet with LIMITED data.  It's so frustrating that we have to be careful how much we stream.  I think ds would enjoy games like these (and really learn more)!  If they stream data, however, they might be out.

He completed Drawing the World with Art last year, so he has certainly been exposed to the big picture.  I'll just see how 2nd semester goes and adjust the assignments as needed.

I appreciate your help!

I believe Geography is too important to brush aside or treat as busy work!

My dd is studying Geography at home this year using Oak Meadow and other materials. She is also taking a mapping class at co-op that is pretty involved and requires more time than we imagined. I may count her mapping class as a 1/2 credit elective and call it Cartography. To this child, it isn't busy work. It has fit in nicely with Oak Meadow and she has learned so much about mapping and the world!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding World History Map Activities:

Kareni, did you enjoy this mapping activity? I read reviews that book comes without answers, and I am no history guru to know them :)

I don't think I could say that my daughter 'enjoyed' them; however, I do think they were of value.  And, yes, I recall that the book had no answers.  I didn't really find that an issue.  My daughter did what  research was necessary to complete each map, and I assumed she had done so correctly.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I think whether or not this is busywork depends on how much the child already knows about geography.  If the student has a good grasp on basic geography, I don't know that more will add a lot.  But my kids retained almost all of the geography they worked on, so I would not dismiss it as forgettable material.

I'm struggling with making my 7th grader make up work in his mapping activities.  He got behind in first semester because he took time to keep up in his significiant subjects: pre-algebra, BJU Life Science, and Language Arts/writing.  Math, science, and English are so much more important than mapping activities.  

I have two high school students now, and I required/am requiring them to complete maps, but I'm beginning to think this is kind of pointless because there is most likely little to no long-term memory potential to justify the time it takes to complete maps.

I would love to know what all of you do for mapping activities.  Is there a better way to get the same thing done?  Should we just skip mapping because this skill is likely to be learned along the way as they grow up and get exposed naturally to geography?  Don't misunderstand me; I believe it IS important to know where places/geographical features are. (And learning these along with historical events is how we're doing maps.)  I simply don't want learning this to become busy work and quickly forgotten.

I posted this same question on the Logic Board since my child in question is in 7th grade this year.  This same question, however, has implications for high school.  I'd love to hear all of your perspectives.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/581578-mapping-activities-im-beginning-to-see-them-as-busy-work/

I do think that knowing where countries &c are and knowing something about their terrain is so useful as an adult, in understanding current events & foreign affairs.  I have a poor knowledge of geography (improving through educating my children & also efforts on my own behalf) and notice that when I am trying to follow articles in Foreign Affairs often geography knowledge is so useful.  Understanding China's essential geography, the locations of deserts & mountains & main rivers * coastline relative to major cities, and the location of neighboring countries -- this clarifies China's history and current policy.  There is a type of understanding you can't get without a feel for the geography. 

We did mapping in high school history because the geography of the place is a huge part of the story. Especially so for understanding war causes and strategies, invasions and other people group movements and trade to name a few.

Yes, this. Geography knowledge is extremely helpful in understanding current events.

• Like 1

My very first day in my college geography 1 class.

The professor did an activity where there was a blank map of the world (just continental outlines) handed out to the students. He read off a list of locations and you were to write the corresponding number approximately where you thought it went in the world. (ie. 1) Washington DC, 2) Japan, 3) Rome, etc.)

I was truly shocked at the lack of basic geographic literacy among my peers. 7 out of 24 put Rome IN ITALY -- you know that big boot shaped peninsula in Europe?