Menu

New Years for toddlers?

Lawyer&Mom

Read books about new years

Do a new years themed craft

Watch a video of the New Year ball drop from a previous year before your toddlers bedtime

Make a small ball to drop at home after dinner

Go outside at night and say good bye to the year 2015

Shoot fireworks from home

Sing a New Year song

Buy a 2016 calendar and hang it in your childs room at their eye level

Practice doing a countdown

You could also set your clocks forwards a few hours and do a mini-ball drop at home so that your child feels apart of a larger celebration that she won't be awake for.

• Like 2

Montessori does something special for a child's birthday that is fully adaptable for new year's.  You sit around a candle or lantern and share pictures/stories of what happened throughout the year.  On birthdays you do one walk around the light for each year the child has been alive, telling stories from birth on.  Then you have a celebration (crackers, noisemakers, etc. ) to ring in the new year and all the memories to come.

We tend to do an early celebration, starting about 7pm, and keep it relaxed and family centered with all the junk food we don't eat usually, like pizza and potato skins.  LOL  As soon as eyelids start to droop, that's when we celebrate New Year's.

• Like 1

My toddlers and I once went to a swanky Noon Year's party at noon at our local art museum.  It was lovely, with a balloon drop, mocktails, crafts, parade (with instruments), and "fireworks" (jumping around in a room lined with bubble wrap to make loud popping), but too, too crowded.  I actually ended up losing a child for a few minutes in the press of people in the gallery for the balloon drop.

Since then, we have recreated the party at home.  I serve a special meal of finger foods and sparkling juice beverages, we have a parade around the house with paper hats and instruments, bubble wrap fireworks, and a balloon drop.  For now, it is just a parent at the top of the stairs dumping laundry baskets full of balloons, but soon I hope to get one of those in-home balloon drop nets to string up on the cathedral ceiling.

• Like 1

We've done "British New Year's" a couple of times where we counted down when London was having their midnight (I think this was 6pm for us). My DH figured out a way to use a little bit of "internet magic" to somehow show the BBC New Year coverage. This may have been one of those legal-gray-area sort of things, but I didn't feel too guilty about stealing an hour's worth of tv from the BBC. ;-)