Menu

Forget the 70's, what about music in the 80's?

80s music is still most of what I listen to. Def Leppard, Duran Duran, The Hooters, INXS, Honeymoon Suite, Winger (though I didn't actually listen to them in the 80s), OMD, The Police, Styx (they count for 80s, too), Rush (same), Madness ... sigh. Good stuff :) I lived for concerts. My first rock concert was Hall and Oates.

Oh, I love Broken Wings, but it takes me right back to my first dance--it was the last song played and I was really hoping the boy I liked would ask me to dance but he didn't. He just stood there and watched everyone just like I did. :glare:

Anyway, I love 80's music--that's mostly what I listen to. I loved Oingo Boingo, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Sting, OMD, Tears for Fears, Aha...

My vote for best song of the 80's is U2's With or Without You.

Does anyone watch Psych? Did you see when they were in the show like that show? I don't watch TV, don't remember the show, but you know? And they did the song from Aha? It was TOO FUNNY!!!!

Gosh, I just talked myself around a circle, didn't I? I sound like such a ditz!!!! It MUST be time for bed! Night all!

Do you love how the kids' movies of today have 80's music in them?

Chicken Little had a lot. Herbie, Sky High, and I can't remember the others but, my dh and I watch and laugh because of all the 80's music. They know what they're doing! The music is so fun that we don't mind when the kids watch them over and over again.

I can't believe how much music from the 80's they play now!! What about the Go-Go's!! And Belinda Carlisle!!! My daughter loves the Go-Gos!!

And I love how the music is in movies!! I like a lot of music from now, but I think the 80's were wonderful, too!!! Some of the best music!!!!!! 70's didn't thrill me--I'm so glad I wasn't old enough to date during the "disco era"--ugh!!!!

I am a hair band loving headbanger! Oh, how I loved Tesla, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Winger, Poison, Warrant, Skid Row, Cinderella, Dokken, Kingdom Come, Great White, White Lion, Ratt, Slaughter, Steelheart, House of Lords... the list goes on. Nothing appeals to teenage angst like a good hair band. :lol:

Tattoo Rodeo was an amazing band - they only had a couple of albums. Very bluesy. Kinda like the Black Crowes but better IMO. LOVED them.

Before Slaughter formed, Mark Slaughter sang for the Vinnie Vincent Invasion and they did one of my favorite metal ballads - "Love Kills." Another band I loved was Hardline, which is a band that Neil Schon (of Journey) was in... their Double Eclipse album was phenomenal.

I had some friends introduce me to lots of bands that never became huge names, but I loved some of their songs. I can't remember them all anymore. :sad:

I also LOVE Journey (with Steve Perry). I like Richard Marx.

Living Color is good. King's X is another one. They bring back good times in college with my best friend - must be more 90s.

Nothing takes me back like a good power ballad, though. And really, is there any better looking man on earth than Kip Winger? :D

Hmmmmm.... I could go on about music all day. Must go wake the baby and go to lunch!

Wow, Beth, I don't know half the groups you named! & I thought you meant you were a hairband loving headbanger!! LOL!

I forgot 10,000 Maniacs! I used to go from NY to Boston to see them in clubs before they hit it big--Natalie Merchant it TINY!!!! I don't like her on her own too much, though.

I still love Depeche Mode!!! I was such a good little geek that I never cut class once when I was in high school, and only once when I was in college (okay, that was the 90's, not the 80's, but close enough) and that was to go to a DM concert. I totally lucked out: our seats were dead center in the fourth row from the front. When they were singing "Personal Jesus" we would all reach our hands into the air towards Dave on the line "reach out and touch faith." But on the last "reach out" of the song something possessed me to reach out towards Martin instead, and he saw me and smiled at me! So that's my one brush with fame. :D

And I love how the music is in movies!!

My brother had been telling me for years that I needed to watch Donnie Darko. I finally did this past weekend. I loved it, and it has a lot of great 80's music in it, Joy Division, The Church, Echo and the Bunnymen.

(Disclaimer: this isn't one to watch with your kiddos!)

When I went to see Wedding Singer, the theater wasn't quite a third full, and it was all people my age--not even a quarter of the way through everyone was up, singing and dancing with the music--it was one of the best movie going experiences of my life!! I was with my French xh, and let me tell you, French people cannot dance! (sorry for the generalization, but, at least from my experience, they can't), and he didn't get much out of it, but I had a blast!!!

I can't believe how much music from the 80's they play now!! What about the Go-Go's!! And Belinda Carlisle!!! My daughter loves the Go-Gos!!

And I love how the music is in movies!! I like a lot of music from now, but I think the 80's were wonderful, too!!! Some of the best music!!!!!! 70's didn't thrill me--I'm so glad I wasn't old enough to date during the "disco era"--ugh!!!!

Now, see, I'm not so much a fan of the "girly music" :lol: DH liked that stuff.

I do love that the movie soundtracks have so much 80's music! It's good marketing, you know, because it lets the parents who have to take the kids to those movies enjoy them a little bit, too.

And remember, it was hair SCRUNCHIES back then, not head bands. :D You should have seen my hair - I had the best headbanger hair EVER.

Hmmm, I think I need some 80's music--I was just listening to something on Pandora, and realized the lyrics were:

"Somebody told me,

That you had a boyfriend,

That looked like a girlfriend,

That I had in February."

Please tell me our music was better than that!

Not that I don't like lots of music now, but please!!!

How about "Jessie's Girl"? Did I mention I was in love with Rick Springfield?

Oh, my BIL got my sister and I tickets to see him in concert locally two years ago--it was a blast--all the women were my age, and it was outside, and you could buy beer, and by the end of it, some of them were crying, and yelling, "Rick, take me home, Rick!"! It was TOO, TOO FUNNY!!!

Ahem, I was over him by then, I was proud to say :).

FWIW some of these groups you all love and have mentioned from the 1980s started off in the 1970s, such as Steely Dan (I'd forgotten about them, but they were around for sure then, because I remember meeting a guy named Dan Steel in college in 1978 and thinking about the group), Queen, etc. Cindy Lauper--didn't her hits come then?

How come none of you mentioned Blondie, Madonna (I have always hated Madonna, but she was so big in the 1980s. I still remember one of her first songs, Like a Virgin--I hated her voice in that song and the tune and the words so much), etc??? Just wondering, since I was past high school by then.

My brother had been telling me for years that I needed to watch Donnie Darko. I finally did this past weekend. I loved it, and it has a lot of great 80's music in it, Joy Division, The Church, Echo and the Bunnymen.

(Disclaimer: this isn't one to watch with your kiddos!)

Ooooooh, The Church - how could I forget them? They were one of my favs. Steven Kilbey's voice ....

Ah the 80's.

Styx was my favorite, I wanted to marry Tommy Shaw

INXS

Ultravox

U2

The Alarm

Billy Idol

The Elvis Brothers

Duran Duran

I'm having deja vu all over again! Didn't we just discuss this? Because I remember mentioning that I saw Midge Ure solo at The Bayou in Georgetown back in the Dark Ages, and I think that YOU, Paula, mentioned that you loved Ultravox. Woohoo--another Midge fan! Wow, was he ever good looking. Wow. :tongue_smilie:

How about "Jessie's Girl"? Did I mention I was in love with Rick Springfield?

I just recently watched the original Battlestar Galactica again, and I'd TOTALLY FORGOTTEN that Rick Springfield made a brief appearance as Apollo's ill-fated younger brother. He looked sooooo young on that show.

Techno anyone?

"you spin me right round baby, right round, like a record baby right round, round, round, round, round"

anyone know this song??? Still one of my favorites

Dead or Alive. Yes, I have their greatest hits album. And yes, I still listen to it, along with all my other 'new wave' favorites. Depeche Mode, the Cure, the Cult, the Clash, Siouxie and the Banshees, Men without Hats, Thompson Twins, New Order, Yaz, Ministry (their first single, Everyday is Halloween, is quite New Wave rather than industrial).. oh, now I have to go get out some CD's!

Dead or Alive. Yes, I have their greatest hits album. And yes, I still listen to it, along with all my other 'new wave' favorites. Depeche Mode, the Cure, the Cult, the Clash, Siouxie and the Banshees, Men without Hats, Thompson Twins, New Order, Yaz, Ministry (their first single, Everyday is Halloween, is quite New Wave rather than industrial).. oh, now I have to go get out some CD's!

I remember the video from Dead or Alive, and that guy and his fingernails--that is all I think of when I hear that song, which is still played now--those fingernails and him spinning around--it CREEPED ME OUT!!! And I liked the song, but I could. not. forget. the. fingernails!!!

The regulars on my turntable in the 80's were...

The Jam, Bauhaus, Joy Division/New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxsie and the Banchees, The Clash, The Police, The Specials, X Ray Specs, The Minutemen, X, Ultravox, The Cramps, XTC, The Selector, Men at Work, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, The Smiths, Dead Kennedys, The Cars, Talking Heads, Adam Ant, Blondie, Peter Gabriel, U2, The Misfits... and many more I'm forgetting. :D

The Jam, Bauhaus, Joy Division/New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxsie and the Banchees, The Clash, The Police, The Specials, X Ray Specs, The Minutemen, X, Ultravox, The Cramps, XTC, The Selector, Men at Work, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, The Smiths, Dead Kennedys, The Cars, Talking Heads, Adam Ant, Blondie, Peter Gabriel, U2, The Misfits, the Cure... and many more I'm forgetting. :D

Loved this

by those boys.
I love YouTube (today). It wasn't until about 5 years later I finally read the book. Speaking of books, I have my dogeared copy of Charlotte Sometimes waiting for my girls thanks to Bob as well.

Loved this
by those boys.

Ooh, yeah--loved that one, too (as well as The Stranger by Camus--perfect book for my perfectly angsty 80s).

I still contend that Marshall Crenshaw's debut album was the BEST--loved every track.

And then this one was just so unangsty, you HAD to love it! Incredibly, it remains one of my favorite of Sting's songs. It's infectious. In a good way. :D

Well, I grew up during the 80s, but my "music socialization"--as I like to think of it--began in the 70s. I LOVE 70s music: especially disco and Southern rock, although I love me some Boston and Steely Dan and Doobies and Fleetwood Mac and.... I'm sorry, but it doesn't get any better than the Allman Brothers' "Blue Sky." And how 'bout some love for the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack?! Yes, I still love disco. I know: I'm a superfreak. ;)

Howard Jones

Rico Suave :D

Wham!

LOVE HoJo, and I will shamefacedly admit to loving Wham!, too. But Rico Suave gave me the creeps. He and Fabio and the "I'm too sexy" guy. :001_huh: Thinkin' you're the sexy thing walkin'? Totally UNsexy.

You should have seen my hair - I had the best headbanger hair EVER.

Um, I dunno 3lilreds--you couldn't have taken my sister's hair down with a hammer. I think she'd have given you a run for your money. :lol: Isn't it a wonder that any of us have any hair LEFT after the bighaired 80s?!

I think music in the 80's was some of the best--what did you like?? Depeche Mode, Hall & Oates, Queen, I LOVED RICK SPRINGFIELD--I saw him in concert like 15 times! (hey, I was in NY, I could see anyone I wanted :D). The Police, Til Tuesday--who else?

It's my least favorite era, and I was a kid then!!! Actually, I like it better now that it's on the oldies stations...

Well, I grew up during the 80s, but my "music socialization"--as I like to think of it--began in the 70s. I LOVE 70s music: especially disco and Southern rock, although I love me some Boston and Steely Dan and Doobies and Fleetwood Mac and.... I'm sorry, but it doesn't get any better than the Allman Brothers' "Blue Sky." And how 'bout some love for the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack?! Yes, I still love disco. I know: I'm a superfreak. ;)

LOVE HoJo, and I will shamefacedly admit to loving Wham!, too. But Rico Suave gave me the creeps. He and Fabio and the "I'm too sexy" guy. :001_huh: Thinkin' you're the sexy thing walkin'? Totally UNsexy.

Um, I dunno 3lilreds--you couldn't have taken my sister's hair down with a hammer. I think she'd have given you a run for your money. :lol: Isn't it a wonder that any of us have any hair LEFT after the bighaired 80s?!

So, where were you on the 1970s thread? Because no one brought up any disco divas. Not even Donna Summer was mentioned.

The Jam, Bauhaus, Joy Division/New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxsie and the Banchees, The Clash, The Police, The Specials, X Ray Specs, The Minutemen, X, Ultravox, The Cramps, XTC, The Selector, Men at Work, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, The Smiths, Dead Kennedys, The Cars, Talking Heads, Adam Ant, Blondie, Peter Gabriel, U2, The Misfits, the Cure... and many more I'm forgetting. :D

Dead Kennedys, Bauhaus, the Cramps, Jesus and Mary Chain, and of course David Byrne and David Bowie- oh be still my beating heart. I used to buy my records and clothes at a shop called Drastic Plastic...my mom was very accepting of the dog collar and combat boots that I felt were so anti establishment...I should have known this could lead to further deviancy even such madness as homeschooling rather than practicing law...riding a bus for two days to get to DC for a protest as my senior college trip.Ah, the memories if I can be as cool when dd announces she wants violet hair or some other affectation I must remember all that I did and just hope that she refrains from slam dancing at weddings. That went over swimmingly in our small Iowa community yes indeedy.

Dead Kennedys, Bauhaus, the Cramps, Jesus and Mary Chain, and of course David Byrne and David Bowie- oh be still my beating heart. I used to buy my records and clothes at a shop called Drastic Plastic...my mom was very accepting of the dog collar and combat boots that I felt were so anti establishment...I should have known this could lead to further deviancy even such madness as homeschooling rather than practicing law...riding a bus for two days to get to DC for a protest as my senior college trip.Ah, the memories if I can be as cool when dd announces she wants violet hair or some other affectation I must remember all that I did and just hope that she refrains from slam dancing at weddings. That went over swimmingly in our small Iowa community yes indeedy.

We would have been hanging out in the 80's :tongue_smilie:

ROTFL!!!! Drastic Plastic!!!! Sounds too good--sort of!!! What color was your hair then??