Menu

What booster seat for a 7 yo?

PeterPan

Ds is 7 and has ASD, if that affects your answer.  He has recently started saying he would like to be out of the 5 point harness of his Radian.  His spare carseat that we use with grandma, etc. is one of those Cosco jobs, no frills, that had a harness and then converts to a booster by adjusting the belt.  

I took him to Walmart to look at them, and he liked the high back boosters.  He's pretty thin relative to his height (48") and is probably not going to hit that 80lbs for some time.  Our state is now 8 years and 80 pounds.  I need to weigh him again and see what he weighs.  He has usually been 50th percentile height, 25th percentile weight.  The Graco Turbobooster and the Evenflo both had room to go as far as height, no problem.  I *think* having the back is more appropriate for him, because he does fall asleep on our trips.  But then I was reading reviews where people are putting 7 yos in backless.  And obviously I could save some money and go backless.  It's just that my sense is that he should be using that back and the belt adjuster longer, that he's not ready to go backless.  Is that crazy?

So I'm looking at the Graco Turbo, the Graco Affix, and the Evenflo Amp Big Kid.  I haven't seen the Affix in person.  The Turbo at walmart just wobbled and wobbled where the back connected.  The Affix has Latch, which I like.  

Anything I should be keeping in mind?  How is this likely to go down if he stays this skinny?  He'll hit the 8 years and not even be CLOSE on the weight, mercy.  What happens if he needs a carseat till he's 10 or something??

DS11 was in a britax frontier high back booster until he turned 10. He is still under 70lbs currently.

DS9 (turning 10) is also in the frontier and he is less than 60lbs.

California is 8 years old so I don't have the 80lbs problem.

Call your highway patrol helpline and ask might be the easiest way to find out.

• Like 1

My very tiny 11.5 year old DD still uses a booster seat most of the time (backless).  She weighs about 64lbs dripping wet! In our state it is not a legal issue (the law is written age OR weight), but the seatbelt in our van hits her much better with a booster.  No big deal...she still just uses it! Since it is not a legal issue, if she needs to ride somewhere with a friend she just goes without, but she really prefers to have it.

I would get a high back. DD only grudgingly gave up the high back when she was clearly too tall for it.  She liked the comfortable-for-sleeping factor a lot.

It sounds like for your situation a high back would be best. However, any 7 year old who can remember to stay seated properly can use a backless booster. The two primary functions of a booster back are helping a child stay positioned properly and providing neck support in a seat lacking a headrest. The bottom of the booster does the work of making the belt fit properly.

I bought a high back for Hobbes that converted to a backless. He used the latter until he turned 13 - he was small and couldn't sit all the way back on the seat without it.

He used the high back until the slots didn't work with his height.

Edited by Laura Corin

Anything I should be keeping in mind?  How is this likely to go down if he stays this skinny?  He'll hit the 8 years and not even be CLOSE on the weight, mercy.  What happens if he needs a carseat till he's 10 or something??

My skinny 8.5yo is in an Evenflo 5-pt (can't remember the model off hand.)  It goes to more than 100lbs (belt-positioning at the high end) so I don't anticipate needing to purchase anything else, even at 10.

.  Our state is now 8 years and 80 pounds. 

Can you give me a source for this?  My youngest son just turned 8 and we were researching the laws.  We found that the rule was 8 years old OR  4'9" tall.  I can't find the 8 years AND 80 pounds for Ohio.

Edited to add:  This was the "official" word I found today   http://www.healthy.ohio.gov/vipp/cps/Child%20Passenger%20Safety%20Law.aspx

Also, just realized that maybe you're not in Ohio anymore :)

Edited by JanOH

Does your Radian switch to booster mode?  I like the Affix because it has LATCH.  I tell parents to buckle in their boosters when not in use so they're not flying during crashes, but..this makes it easier.  We are using a Frontier in booster mode when we switch over because it's not as flimsy (very rigid back), and while good and bad, it does hold the belt more securely than a few models we checked out. 

In February the Mifold will be coming out.  That will be our 8-10yo "booster" if all works well. http://www.mifold.com/

I thought for car seats it was always LATCH OR seatbelt, not both. So that is why I would never think to use a LATCH system on a booster. You are already using a seatbelt.

Car seats, yes.

Booster the LATCH holds *ONLY* the seat, the seatbelt holds the child.  They are used in two different modes and aren't putting the weight stress on the seat that would happen, routing both a belt and latch through the same system.

• Like 1

Oh you're talking about the backless mode? I guess I'm understanding a bit of distinction there.

My understanding is there are two times you can use the LATCH and the seat belt.  

1 - For specially designed booster seats (including high back boosters) like the Affix.  The LATCH holds the seat steady when the child is climbing in and secures the seat if it is empty during a crash so it does not injure other passengers.  The seat belt is solely responsible for securing the child.

2 - For combination (harness to booster) seats that allow use of LATCH in booster mode.  This is what the Britax Frontier manual says, "In booster mode, this child seat can be positioned on the vehicle seat using LATCH. Use the vehicle’s lap-shoulder belt to secure the child. Ensure that the LATCH system does not interfere with the vehicle belt function and alignment when securing your child."

Wendy

• Like 2

I agree with getting a highback that can later be converted to a lowback. Check out the Parkway; it has a very high max height even for highback, and can be converted to a backless. I just put my tall 8 yo in ours in highback mode yesterday (usually his little sister uses it and he uses a backless) because he had an outpatient surgery and was still a little floppy; he fit great and it provided him the support he needed. It also has a "slideguard" that comes up between the legs and you slide over the seatbelt, for extra protection.

I would wait until this one is ready: http://www.mifold.com

It is small and easily portable!

There is no way I'd put a 7 year old in that one.   It doesn't actually "boost" the kid at all, so his legs will stick straight out instead of naturally curving down.  It's uncomfortable and probably not safe.  I wouldn't keep him in a 5 point harness any longer either, if he is protesting.

I have the Amp for my 7 year old. It's great. 

Edited by poppy

10-12 years old is actually pretty average for truly being ready to leave the booster behind. Age and even weight aren't the important part for sitting on the seat alone, it's height. Usually about 4'9" is when most kids will be ready, so about then is when you'll want to look up the 5-step test to see if he passes.

My 7yo has SPD and we kept her harnessed until shortly before her 7th birthday. We have a Graco Nautilus so we just took the straps out. I definitely like having the high back for her still. It helps give her a frame of sorts to stay within to help her remember not to squirm about. I don't think she'll be ready for the back to come off for a while yet.

• Like 1

There is no way I'd put a 7 year old in that one.   It doesn't actually "boost" the kid at all, so his legs will stick straight out instead of naturally curving down.  It's uncomfortable and probably not safe.  I wouldn't keep him in a 5 point harness any longer either, if he is protesting.

I have the Amp for my 7 year old. It's great. 

A booster is really only a seat belt positioner, so if the seat belt can be positioned correctly it's not the "boost" that is necessary, if that makes sense.  The mifold will have to go through the same safety tests as all other boosters.

I'm not saying that the mifold is safe (because I haven't looked into it), but the IIHS has a list of "not recommended" boosters based on seatbelt positioning.

This post about it on car-seat.org might be helpful (there were concerns about belt fit on the prototype, but it's been re-designed since), and this is the current IIHS listing (which doesn't yet have the mi-fold, I'm just posting it for info).  A lot of people think the BubbleBum, for example, is not safe because it's inflatable, but it is an IIHS best bet.

• Like 2

Booster seats and car seats are not the same. They serve different purposes.

A booster seat is to help position the seat belt correctly on the child. I believe there are 5 points to look for when deciding to switch to a booster and whether a high back or backless is more appropriate.

Just off the top of my head: The seat belt should cross over the shoulder, not the neck (high back help position this until the torso is long enough). The lap part of the belt should go across the hips, not the stomach. The knees need to curve over the end of the booster (or car's actual seat with booster).

And, as a booster is not a restraining device like a carseat, the child needs to be mature enough to sit in it properly.

Examples: my 3 year old tried my 6 yo's high back the other day, but her knees did not bend around the booater, even though the seat belt was fine - so no booster yet for her. In our two different vehicles, the belts come out at different points - so my 6 yo doesn't really need the back in DH's truck to position the shoulder strap (but we leave it because it's easier when switching cars).

Hope that helps! Good luck! Also, we have a Graco high back and it's been fine!

Carriede, we use the 5pt test to determine when a child should be out of a booster, not in.  Determining for in has to do with maturity, and whether the 5pt harness is outgrown on the seat.  The goal is to keep them harnessed as long as possible (I tell littles about race car drivers and what they wear), and to not skip the booster to ride in an auto seat improperly.

• Like 1

Carriede, we use the 5pt test to determine when a child should be out of a booster, not in.  Determining for in has to do with maturity, and whether the 5pt harness is outgrown on the seat.  The goal is to keep them harnessed as long as possible (I tell littles about race car drivers and what they wear), and to not skip the booster to ride in an auto seat improperly.

Something to consider in this vein is that there's not really a lot (or any) of evidence that harnessed is better than a regular seat belt once a person can sit properly with just a seat belt.  Race car drivers are harnessed, but they also have a system in their cars and helmets which keeps their heads from going forward in a crash unlike our harnessed kiddos.  So the idea now is that a harness, for a forward facing kid, is going to put an awful lot of strain on their neck in a crash that doesn't happen with the slight give of a properly positioned seat belt.

My (unprofessional) opinion is that the goal should be rear-facing as long as possible.  Once they are forward-facing, I would rather them be using a regular seat belt, but of course most kids cannot booster reliably until 5 or 6 so a harness is best until they can maintain a good position in their seat.

Of course, this is way OT from the OP's post...hopefully she has gotten some useful info. :)

We have a 5 y/o Nautilus and it's great. My son is still under 60# at nearly 8 y/o, so he will be in it for a while. He is probably going to hit the height minimum long before he hits the weight one (he's tall and thin) but I'll keep him in a booster until I'm satisfied that the seat belt fits him properly.

He uses a cheap backless booster in the truck, which he only uses 1-2x a week. The only real practical difference is the head support and cup holder.

Jan, thanks I hadn't understood the law correctly.

Is the new Graco turbo going to be latch?

Well I'll have to think on the back/no back thing. Sometimes I underestimate what he's ready for.

The mi-fold is interesting but I won't use an untested seat. But it's interesting!

The new Turbo LX will be LATCH. :)

I wish it was still available, but which.co.uk used to have a great video showing the difference between various boosters and how they reacted in a side impact crash. They have a smaller video still up here: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2014/04/which-warning-ditch-unsafe-backless-booster-seats-363271/   Unless a seat is in the middle, I do prefer having a back on it as long as possible to help protect the child from hitting the glass or car door, and when that is not possible, to have the shoulder belt guide on (a piece parents often throw away as unnecessary).  If your son can have the back on and fit properly, I'd suggest keeping it.

• Like 1

My kids both ride with a booster now. We have Britax Frontiers in my van. Love these big comfy seats! Kids don't feel like babies and we still have the head support and even cup holders.

The Graco highback boosters are not comfortable in my van because they are so much smaller than the seat itself. The Graco seat ends 3-4" before the van seat does. So we use these in Dh's car.

• Like 1

The new Turbo LX will be LATCH. :)

I wish it was still available, but which.co.uk used to have a great video showing the difference between various boosters and how they reacted in a side impact crash. They have a smaller video still up here: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2014/04/which-warning-ditch-unsafe-backless-booster-seats-363271/   Unless a seat is in the middle, I do prefer having a back on it as long as possible to help protect the child from hitting the glass or car door, and when that is not possible, to have the shoulder belt guide on (a piece parents often throw away as unnecessary).  If your son can have the back on and fit properly, I'd suggest keeping it.

Thanks, that really helped me sort it out!  I'm realizing the location where the shoulder belt goes into the vehicle will determine how it fits him to prevent that lateral slide.  That means the answer could be different for different vehicles.  I'm going to check today, but I'm thinking that where ours attaches it's far enough out/forward that he would slide around a lot.  I'm going to put him in (something obviously I never do normally) and get him to hold still so I can see.  At least now I know what I'm looking for.  That makes sense to me.

Btw, one site was saying the standards by 2018 will move away from backless boosters entirely.  Thing is, they're going to have to make *wider* boosters to accommodate these kids if they want to keep them in highbacks, mercy.

Edited by OhElizabeth

My youngest is almost 10 and still in a highback booster since he is small enough that the seatbelt isn't positioned properly otherwise. We have a Recaro, and it seems pretty comfortable and stable. We have an older model but here's a link to the newer version: http://www.albeebaby.com/recaro-performance-booster-sapphire.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gdftrk=gdfV21377_a_7c623_a_7c12148_a_7c363_d_00_d_SAPH&gclid=CO6A7abkx8kCFUIjgQodsXsJgw