Menu

For fun: song lyrics you get wrong...

You & me & Leslie (endlessly)

Groovin'... on a Sunday afternoon....

Give me the Beach Boys (dh *insists* it's the "beat boys) & free my soul,

I wanna get lost in your Rock & Roll,

And drift away....

A Christian song that starts off "Descartes, my friend..." (really TAKE HEART, my friend--much less interesting.)

WAY too many more to list. Part of the problem is I can't remember the words to ANY songs, so I just make up something to fill in. Dc have come to... enjoy... this? :lol:

My dad always sings:

"I eat a one ton tomato!"

(I think it's Guantanamera? It makes me laugh, though!)

DD16 used to sing:

Three we kings of Orient are

Merry gifts, we travel so far.

And dc always sing:

God rest you merry gentlemen, let nothing you dismay. . . .

For Jesus Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day

To save us all from Satan's power when we were gone astray,

Oh our God needs a Tupperware drawer, Tupperware drawer!

Oh our God needs a Tupperware drawer!

(huh? Don't know HOW they came up with that!)

Michael Jackson's Beat it

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it

No one wants to be defeated

Show 'em hot monkeys all through the night (show them how funky and strong is your fight)

It doesn't matter who's wrong or right

I know the right words and I still sing it the wrong way.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Wasting away in Margaritaville

Lookin' for my lost sugar sauce.

I plead innocent because I've never had a margarita, and I thought he was pining for his girlfriend.

This is fun, I'll play :D

Neil Diamond:

Money talks, but it don't sing and dance and it don't walk

as long as I can have you here with with me, I'd much rather be

Reverend Blue Jeans Babe :001_huh: (Forever in blue jeans)

Grease:

I've got chills, they're multiplying, and I'm losing control, cause the power your supplying

It's Frankenstein! :lol:

Not a song lyric, but when Star Wars (the Phantom Menace) came out, my son was about ten or eleven. In the movie, Kwi Gon Jin (sp?) says to Obi Wan Kenobi "Don't center on your anxieties, Obi Wan." My son was quoting the movie one day and say "Down syndrome your anxieties, Obi Wan." We fell out. He really thought that was the line. Never mind that it didn't make any sense.

One of my favorite song lyric misquotes:

"Big old jet with a light on..."

(Big old jet air liner)

And drift away....

A Christian song that starts off "Descartes, my friend..." (really TAKE HEART, my friend--much less interesting.)

WAY too many more to list. Part of the problem is I can't remember the words to ANY songs, so I just make up something to fill in. Dc have come to... enjoy... this? :lol:

Well, while I do have the "give me the beat, boys, & free my soul" one right, there is a song by some band (can't remember the band's name,ETA it's called "Walk this Way" by Aerosmith). To give me some credit, I heard this song on the radio way before digital recording and lived far from all the stations, so reception wasn't stellar. The real lyrics go,

Walk this way,

Walk this way,

But for years I really and truly thought it was

Born to splay

Born to splay

I don't know if this is enough for anyone to recognize this song, but it probably came out in the 1970s.

There are many many songs I sing the wrong words to. Sometimes dd says I have the tune wrong, but most of the time in those situations I like my version better, so I like to think I've unconsciously improved on the original melody ;).

The most irksome one, but done on purpose, is when my ds sings, Felix, oh-oh-oh, Felix" for "Feelings, oh-oh-oh, Feelings." He also inserts Felix for the name Billy in "Billy, don't be a hero, don't be a fool with your life."

Don't you mean "Loose wheel?" ;)

Wait a minute. Wait just a minute!!!! Are you telling me it's loose wheel? Because I am ready to swear right now it's Lucille. Which is right?????

"You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille" is right, isn't it? Oops, I get it. The mistake was 400 children instead of 4 hungry children--the loose wheel is your mistake.

This is another good thread for much needed laughter. My friend insisted it was "Dirty deeds and the Thunder Chief" instead of "Dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap"!

My dd would sing the theme song for VBS Game Day Central like this:

"Dang, dang, central!"

I know I have more, just can't think of them.

Wait a minute. Wait just a minute!!!! Are you telling me it's loose wheel? Because I am ready to swear right now it's Lucille. Which is right?????

"You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille" is right, isn't it? Oops, I get it. The mistake was 400 children instead of 4 hungry children--the loose wheel is your mistake.

Yes, is really is "Lucille" :lol:

Awesome thread, Aubrey!

Anything by the Rolling Stones. When I first met my xh, in Paris, he spoke no English, but loved the Stones. He wanted me to translate them for him, and we sat up one night trying. I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING!!!!! I felt like that scene in Jumping Jack Flash (must see, if you haven't) where Whoopi Goldberg is trying to figure out the words to the title song, and yells "Speak English to me, Mick!". I don't know what language the Stones sing in, but I REALLY don't think it is English!

From the 80s, I think the song is named Africa and I thought the line was "Ain't nothing that a hundred men on Mars would ever do". I don't know what the actual words are but something about "a hundred men or more would ever do". Also from various family members:

From Breathless: it's "leaving me breath mints" instead of "leaving me breathless". Also from a smaller family member is his interpretation of a beautiful ballad More Than Words. He thought it seemed to make more sense that the song said "More than worms, what would you say if I took those worms away". For some reason I don't think taking worms away would mean as much as taking words away.

In the 70s or late 80s there was the song Take It to the Limit. I felt we should all Take It to the Lemon for some reason.

Anything by the Rolling Stones. When I first met my xh, in Paris, he spoke no English, but loved the Stones. He wanted me to translate them for him, and we sat up one night trying. I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING!!!!! I felt like that scene in Jumping Jack Flash (must see, if you haven't) where Whoopi Goldberg is trying to figure out the words to the title song, and yells "Speak English to me, Mick!". I don't know what language the Stones sing in, but I REALLY don't think it is English!

Oh, Jumping Jack Flash was one of my FAVOURITE comedies in the 1980s, and I remember that line. I laughed heartily all the way through it 2 or 3 times, which is rare for me. Frisco Kid was another one, but it's very boring until Harrison Ford enters-- the two of them were so funny together, but I'm on a tangent, now.

..and I had a few too many beverages, if you get my drift. As I sat at the bar with my best friend and brother, I was belting out, at the top of my lungs, Guns-n-Roses (sp?) "Welcome to the Jungle" in some sort of jibberish that was meant w/ all my heart to resemble lyrics. LOL!

Though I was slurring and carrying on, I could see through my periferal (sp?) vision my brother and best friend cracking up and tilting back in their chairs. However...that didn't stop me! I continued on the embarrassing tyrade (sp? why are the spellings of so many words escaping me tonight?) until the last beat of the drum.

Sigh.

LOL.

Blessings,

Camy

From the 80s, I think the song is named Africa and I thought the line was "Ain't nothing that a hundred men on Mars would ever do". I don't know what the actual words are but something about "a hundred men or more would ever do".

Ummm, until this minute, I always thought it was "Ain't nothing that a hundred men on Mars would ever do." Are you absolutely sure that isn't right? Sounds right to me!! I need to call my sister and tell her--that was her fave song!! :001_huh:

There's a Def Leppard song that has the lyric, "I more than long for your affection."

It sounds so very much like they're singing "I mow the lawn for your affection" that sometimes I forget, and just sing that :D It made sense to me, after all! Heck, if you mow the lawn, you'll have my affection! Imagine how I'll feel if you do the dishes! :lol:

"Another Ones Bites the Dust" by Queen

Another one rides the bus.

I think Weird Al did a spin-off with this title. :)

Count me in with the 400 children and Reverend Blue Jeans.

My oldest daughter thought the Oakridge Boys were singing about He77 Pirates instead of Elvira.

And I thought Stevie Nicks was singing about a one-winged dove instead of a white winged dove.

hsmamainva and HeatherH~~

I was at a Hallmark store tonight looking at Halloween musical cards and they have a card with the "bathroom on the right" text and that song!! I thought it was funny then, but nearly fell over laughing when I came on here tonight and read your posts!! You've gotta go see if your local stores have it!!

Chelle

hsmamainva and HeatherH~~

I was at a Hallmark store tonight looking at Halloween musical cards and they have a card with the "bathroom on the right" text and that song!! I thought it was funny then, but nearly fell over laughing when I came on here tonight and read your posts!! You've gotta go see if your local stores have it!!

Chelle

NO?! REALLY!!!!! Dang - my dad's birthday is tomorrow - that would have been PERFECT!!!

I'll check - thanks!

And drift away....

Aubrey I would rep you for this thread if I could. Laughing my butt off again.

And dc always sing:

God rest you merry gentlemen, let nothing you dismay. . . .

For Jesus Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day

To save us all from Satan's power when we were gone astray,

Oh our God needs a Tupperware drawer, Tupperware drawer!

Oh our God needs a Tupperware drawer!

(huh? Don't know HOW they came up with that!)

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: