Menu

I think my throat closed up tonight during dinner. Allergy help needed.

Lisa R.

I have no environmental or food allergies.

I made a new Szechwan beef recipe for dinner tonight. I followed recipe exactly but it was very, very spicy. The recipe called for chilie sauce and red pepper flakes. I didn't know what brand to buy at the store, so I bought a Tabaaco brand which said Thai chilie sauce.

The meal was very, very spicy. (No nuts in recipe.) After several bites, I thought I was choking. I took a quick drink to dislodge the food, and water wouldn't go down. I felt I could not get a breath. My kids said later I was wheezing so obviously breathing somewhat.

DH performed the Heimlich many times to no avail whole ds called 911.

After 10 or so Heimlichs, I felt my throat open. Paramedics came shortly after. All is fine. We realize that I was not choking but rather the throat has closed. Obviously the Heimlich wasn't needed, but how was he to know??

I felt like my throat has a lump in it for over an hour afterwards. Was strained to talk. I'm totally fine now though.

Can this happen from very spicy food? Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I have never ever had anything like this happen.

The one good thing---at least this happened to me and not anyone else tonight. If my cooking had caused this to happen to someone else, I'd be forever traumatized!

What do you think happened?

It definitely sounds like a food allergy. You need to get to a doctor and carry an epi-pen in case it ever happens again. Sorry you had such a scare. I'm thankful it wasn't a worse reaction.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

That was somewhat how my first allergy manifested. I felt like food was stuck in my throat and I couldn't pass it. It turns out my esophagus was swelling even hooch my tongue and mouth were fine. I'd ask for a referral to an allergist so they can test those specific ingredients and figure out what you were reacting to.

I had a very weird reaction one time after eating Szechuan. I am super allergic to nuts so I am super careful. It's the throat closing/ lip swelling reaction. So I super-check for nuts.

Well halfway thru the business lunch, I lost my vision. I could hear all that was going on around me, I kept up my end of the conversation, I made some good executive decisions--but I was blind.

That has never happened before or since. But I haven't eaten Szechuan again either. I never figured out what it was.

How terrifying.

Allergies can appear at any time. My mom became allergic to rodents at nearly 40. 

I'd get tested for allergies and avoid anything peppery in the meantime. So sorry that happened to you and I hope that you can find the allergen so you can enjoy other things in the future!

Sounds like an allergy. Call your regular doc and ask for a prescription for an epipen immediately. That will tide you over while you wait for an allergist.

My oddball suspicion while reading your post was shellfish. It's common to develop an allergy to it later in life, and your ingredients may have been contaminated. Odd hunch.

Regardless, keep all the packaging and the ingredients that you can, so you can get tested.

And please get an epipen!

• Like 1

I do agree that it does sound like an allergic reaction, especially the lump in the throat for awhile afterward. I have an allergy to what I think is some kind of bacteria involved in aging/fermenting (it has only ever happened with soy sauce and aged cheese, and it's rare), but the lingering lump in the throat feeling is just so yucky. It makes me gaggy for awhile afterward. 

That said, were you eating rice with your beef? Sometimes, when I'm eating spicy food, especially with rice, it will get stuck in my throat going down. I can breathe, but my throat spasms around the food, trying to get it to move. It usually gives me these weird hiccups that seem to only happen in the spicy food/rice scenario. And it only happens once, at the beginning of the meal. Once the food clears, I'm fine. Could something like that be a possibility? Do you tend to have reflux/heartburn, silent or otherwise?

That's so scary, I'm sorry you had to go through it  :grouphug: I would definitely follow up with your doctor and get the epi-pen, just in case. They're pricy, but they're good to have on hand. 

I had a very weird reaction one time after eating Szechuan. I am super allergic to nuts so I am super careful. It's the throat closing/ lip swelling reaction. So I super-check for nuts.

Well halfway thru the business lunch, I lost my vision. I could hear all that was going on around me, I kept up my end of the conversation, I made some good executive decisions--but I was blind.

That has never happened before or since. But I haven't eaten Szechuan again either. I never figured out what it was.

:scared: That's horrifying. I don't know how you kept your cool. When did your vision finally return? Was that the only symptom you had? Crazy!!!

• Like 1

Very spicy foods can cause muscle spasms in the throat that mimic anaphylaxis. There was something on a food show about it when some guy was eating crazy spicy stuff.

ETA: not saying to avoid further medical treatment. Definitely get to an allergist pronto!

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 5

Very spicy foods can cause muscle spasms in the throat that mimic anaphylaxis. There was something on a food show about it when some guy was eating crazy spicy stuff.

ETA: not saying to avoid further medical treatment. Definitely get to an allergist pronto!

Oh my goodness! That's exactly what happens to me! Now I have to go look that up...

ETA: How fascinating, I had no idea. It turns out that hiccups are a common reaction to spicy food too. I always thought it was just a weird quirk of mine--I've never heard anyone else mention it. I guess this is the new thing I learned today. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

:scared: That's horrifying. I don't know how you kept your cool. When did your vision finally return? Was that the only symptom you had? Crazy!!!

It took about 15 minutes. It was bizarre. I kept my cool because I didn't want to lose the respect of people who held my career in their hands--I was worried about looking weak. As it worked out ok, well, no harm, no foul. But I don't know to this day whether or not I was stupid. :0)

ETA: I think this is the first time I have ever told anyone that this happened. At first I was too worried and then I was embarrassed because maybe I shoulda oughta told someone. Like my MD. Oh well. Now the world can know that 25 years ago, I had an odd experience. :0)

I did not know this. Thank you.

I also have learned recently that some peppers are related to cashews and can cause a nut reaction. So now I just buy black peppercorns. But that doesn't mean a restaurant will do the same. Bi think it's the red peppercorns that are the troublemakers.

Sounds very scary. :grouphug:  The spasms thing sounds possible. But yours lasted longer than 60 seconds or not?

That said, this is what my husband experienced with his first reaction to buckwheat in his late 30's. He had no prior allergies to anything and had eaten it without problems multiple times before. But he's anaphylactic.

So I think I would see if my general practitioner would be willing to run an immuno-cap RAST blood test for sesame and shellfish and whatever else is possible cross contamination in that meal. I'd want to see an allergist, but that may take a while to get in. Honestly, I would want an epi pen but they are so incredibly expensive and the spasm sounds like a possibility, so that gives me pause.

Spasms can vary in where they occur - you can have one down in your esophagus (food gets stuck around your breastbone and just won't go down until the spasm is over).  With an esophageal spasm you actually can breathe through your nose (though in panic you might not think so).  But spasms can also occur higher up in your larynx.  Those can close off the airway as well.  There are more than one cause for spasms.  You can have silent reflux - which means that you do not have heartburn that you can feel.  My understanding is that anaphalaxis is swelling of the area and does not just come and then release like a spasm does but I'm no expert.  I've just had many many spasms. 

I had allergy testing.  And an esophageal endoscopy.  And a fluoroscopy where they had me drink barium while watching it go down in a "live" x-ray.  The allergy testing was done by an allergist  The endoscopy and flouroscopy were done by a G-I doc.   In my case I showed problems with both and so I'm treated for both.  They don't know which ones specifically caused the spasms.  I haven't had a spasm in about a year but I still have some minor throat swelling a couple of times a month. 

A magnesium deficiency can also be one factor in spasms. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

How terrifying.

Allergies can appear at any time. My mom became allergic to rodents at nearly 40.

I'd get tested for allergies and avoid anything peppery in the meantime. So sorry that happened to you and I hope that you can find the allergen so you can enjoy other things in the future!

Awe, that's too bad she can't eat rodents anymore. ;)

• Like 7

My son had something like this, though it only lasted for a few seconds. It has happened twice. It was when he ate a spoonful of spicy mustard. My theory is that it was some sort of spasm in response to the spice. I know he is not allergic to mustard as he is fine when he doesn't eat giant globs of it.

• Like 1

I have no environmental or food allergies.

I made a new Szechwan beef recipe for dinner tonight. I followed recipe exactly but it was very, very spicy. The recipe called for chilie sauce and red pepper flakes. I didn't know what brand to buy at the store, so I bought a Tabaaco brand which said Thai chilie sauce.

The meal was very, very spicy. (No nuts in recipe.) After several bites, I thought I was choking. I took a quick drink to dislodge the food, and water wouldn't go down. I felt I could not get a breath. My kids said later I was wheezing so obviously breathing somewhat.

DH performed the Heimlich many times to no avail whole ds called 911.

After 10 or so Heimlichs, I felt my throat open. Paramedics came shortly after. All is fine. We realize that I was not choking but rather the throat has closed. Obviously the Heimlich wasn't needed, but how was he to know??

I felt like my throat has a lump in it for over an hour afterwards. Was strained to talk. I'm totally fine now though.

Can this happen from very spicy food? Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I have never ever had anything like this happen.

The one good thing---at least this happened to me and not anyone else tonight. If my cooking had caused this to happen to someone else, I'd be forever traumatized!

What do you think happened?

Sounds like anaphylaxis to me, which is the worst kind of life-threatening allergy. 

You need to get in with an allergist/asthma doctor for assessment.

I choked over an over for a couple years before my allergy was understood and treated.

Also, you can have esophageal inflammation/ulceration from chronic heartburn. I had that, too, even though I'd had only noticed heartburn a handful of times during pregnancy. This was diagnosed when I finally had a choking incident that wouldnt' resolve on it's own with me trying to vomit . . . This time I had to go the the ER and wait around for 14 hours until a DR could take the steak out with an endoscope. 

So, anyway, I'd get yourself to a good allergist and go on an allergy trial. I was told (nearly 20 years ago) that the skin/blood testings don't do well for food allergies,so I went on an exclusion diet which allowed only 6 foods for a few weeks, then I could add one new food every other day. It was very effective for identifying my allergies (chicken and turkey meats and broths). I'm SUPER sensitive and it only gets worse of the years. I carry epic-pens and Benadryl everywhere I go, and hit the benadryl hard whenever I am exposed, so I've been able to avoid using the Epipens or dying. :) 

Keep hold of the foods you reacted to and all the recipes and bottles. That might be helpful. 

Good luck.

BE CAREFUL and get to the allergist. 

OP here. My insurance has a benefit where I can call and speak to a doctor over the phone. 

I relayed in detail what happened at the dinner. I told him that when I thought I was chocking, I quickly took a sip of water to dislodge what I thought was food stuck in my throat. When none of the water would go down, I knew I was in trouble. I also told him I felt like I had a lump in my throat for about an hour afterwards and that my voice was hoarse.

He said it was a esophageal spasm. He said if it was an anaphylaxis reaction, the 911 paramedics would've needed to treat me and take me to the ER. He also said since the water wouldn't go down, it was the esophagus that closed, not the lungs. He said that it was the spicy food that likely created this issue. He said once the irritation of the spice was diminishing, my throat opened up.

Based on my story, he did not recommend allergy testing.

Really, this is great news that it is not a food allergy. While I like spicy food, this meal was far spicier that I've had in the past. I will be more careful about very spicy foods going forward.

Good night! I have the upmost sympathy and respect for those who suffer anaphylaxis reactions. I cannot imagine having this ever-present concern. I look at this experience as having gained a heightened awareness of those with life-threatening allergies and will find ways to support and defend them when needed.

• Like 5

• 6 years later...

It is very very correct that spicy food causes throat closure just like anaphylaxis. I was eating a very spicy fish soup when it happened. I experienced it for the second time tonight in a period of 6 months. It was a very bad experience. They said it’s not life threatening but if it had continued for another 1 minute, it felt like I would not have made it. Oxygen was completely shut out from me. I could not talk, I could not breathe. I ran outside to get some air and my neighbor kept asking if I was okay, all I could do was waived.  We were going to call 911 because I was making a weird sound indicating that I was out of breath. I never want to experience it again!😢😢😢