Menu

To Harry Potter or not? And if so with or without illustrations?

I love HP and have very excitedly been waiting to read them to DS. I was trying to figure out what books to buy him for Christmas and on what to use the Amazon 30% off code when I stumbled on the new HP illustrated edition. I don't have a physical bookstore in which to check it out but the pictures online look amazing. DS is almost 6, is this a good age to read him book 1? If so, do I start with the original edition or the new illustrated edition? I'm torn! On the one hand it is such a wonderfully imaginative book, should I leave him to imagine it? Or since he is young would the illustrated edition better hold his interest?

When I read the first Harry Potter book to the kids, the younger one was almost six. And she just didn't get it. There were too many characters, and the setting was too different from what she was familiar with, and the plot was too complex.

She's not a stupid child. At that age she had enjoyed listening to Ramona the Pest, and Clementine, and The Birchbark House, and Skating Shoes. But something about Harry Potter was just *impossible* for her.

I don't believe every six year old is going to have that difficulty, but I will state that it is something to be aware of when purchasing for YOUR darling.

It all depends on the kid. My oldest listened to them on tape (yes, tape--the library was dumping their tapes and we bought them all for $1) when he was about 10.

My youngest son is more sensitive to things, so we are going to wait until next year when he's 11, like Harry was in the first book. There's a lot of creepy stuff in the books that my youngest wasn't ready for. In the first book, V kills unicorns so he can drink their blood and other such things.

Also, once they start, they often want to keep going and the later books are pretty dark. I didn't want anyone younger than 10, 11, or 12 reading some of the later books.

But, your son could be different.

And totally go for the illustrated books if the illustrations are well done. I always greatly disliked the covers of the books and thought they could have done much better.

My eldest begged me to read it to her at five, so I agreed to read her one book a year. My current almost six year old loves to play Harry Potter with his older sibling, but as he has only shown a passing interest, I am saving it for him. I bought the illustrated copy for me, and hands down, when my middle child is ready, I will use that edition.

My middle child thinks it's cruel and unusual, but our family rule is that you read HP at his age. So book one is an 11th bday gift here. (We caved at 16; that year gets books 6 & 7.)

As to illustrated? Beautiful! Gorgeous. Paper, print, illustrations. I don't have anyone to buy Book 1 for this year but I'm still tempted because the book is so luscious.

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 1

We are another family who chose to wait until DSs were older. Partly was the complexity and maturity of the books (written for tweens/teens) and we preferred to not try them too early, and partly that there are SO VERY many books to enjoy that are much more geared for ages 6, 7, 8, 9, 10yo that if we had done books for older ages at the younger age, we would have missed out on all those lovely, lovely books that are perfect for the younger ages.

However, everyone's children are different, and if your DS is dying to do Harry Potter, and isn't a sensitive reader, and can handle LONG and complex works as read alouds, then do Harry Potter when the time is right for your family. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

We started when oldest was five with one book a year. We finished with 6 and 7 this past summer when she was 11. It was such a great tradition. She has read them several times on her own since then and younger dd is partway through reading book 1 on her own now. I'm glad I didn't wait, it was something we looked forward to every summer and we are all so sad that it is over!

My daughter read it when she was 7, and it was the book that got her reading silently for pleasure. All the books that were supposedly her age just didn't hold her attention. I did ask her to take a break after book 3, and I think she waited a year or two before finishing the series. My son didn't want to start it until he was 8, and he also stopped after book three.

I am almost tempted to pick up the illustrated version, even though we have all the books, plus double copies of the last three, because we couldn't agree who would read them first :)

We started them as read alouds when they were 6 and 8. They loved them. It was very much a shared joy for both dc's with figures and lego appearing for gifts throughout the years. Many hours of HP play at our house. We took a break before they read books 5 through 7 to themselves. I see from you siggy that your dd is a couple years younger, for that reason I would wait and let them share the fun together.

I'd say ten is a good point to start the first book, maybe even nine. I think kids like looking forward to an age that they are about to reach, so no need to wait until eleven. I completely agree that there are so many other more appropriate books for younger readers. With HP, there is likely to be the desire to devour the entire series, so if you think the later books are too dark, you have to ration them out, which runs the risk of letting the flame of excitement die out. One a year was nice, but I do think there is an appeal to bingeing. Those very long books have a lot of things to keep straight that can get forgotten. My own solution was to reread everything each time a new book was published, which by the time of the last took quite a bit of doing.

I was hopeful for the large-format illustrated version of the first book, because I think it (not really all the others) is a great read-aloud. However, I was disappointed because the illustrations seem too influenced by the movies. I won't be purchasing it, and we will just have to stick with our set of the English hardcover editions.

I think they are better read alone. There are lots of other great read alouds to choose from. Harry Potter is a great series to have up your sleeve once they really take off with reading. Some sensitive children may not be ready for them at 6, but I think most children capable of reading it will be just fine, regardless of age. My 6 yo has read all of them. His reading ability is high for his age, but his maturity is average, and he did quite well with the series. No nightmares, no tears. He loved it and incorporated a lot of things from the books into his play.

• Like 1

By waiting, we've stretched out the magic for years. At about 10 we have the kids the first book for Christmas. They loved it and we went Potter Mad. Every year after that they got one or two for Christmas. We binge on Potter (read the book, massive movie night with home made Honeydukes, etc) and really look forward to it. Last year they got the last two books. It's been a great tradition for our family. I'm glad we waited.

• Like 2

I picked up the illustrated version of the first book at Costco and it's pretty dang awesome.  I went back and forth on whether to wait until an older age, but ultimately decided that it would be fine to start now with my 6 and 7yo.  I feel like since it's a read-aloud and we're all sitting together, they have the opportunity to discuss with me any topics they might find distressing.  From personal experience, I figure that a lot of the "bad" stuff will go right over their heads.  If/when they re-read them in middle or high school they will grasp a lot more of the themes.  I read Anne Rice's Witching Hour and Interview with the Vampire at 10yo (sooooooooo inappropriate!!) but really just didn't grasp a lot of the very "bad" stuff.  I re-read them in my 20s and realized that though I got the general idea the first time, there was a lot of adult content that I didn't even really notice at 10yo.

But is having book content (HP or anything) go "over their heads" really what we are looking for? My own preference would be simply to wait to read it until that content doesn't go over their heads and instead can be handled appropriately because they've read other books, experienced other things, and had the relevant discussions. Then that first experience can be more meaningful.

• Like 3

But is having book content (HP or anything) go "over their heads" really what we are looking for? My own preference would be simply to wait to read it until that content doesn't go over their heads and instead can be handled appropriately because they've read other books, experienced other things, and had the relevant discussions. Then that first experience can be more meaningful.

Whenever I've reread a book, I've found that there were bits I missed the first time. Nonetheless, the first read was obviously enjoyable enough for me to undertake a second reading. It is with Harry Potter as it is with most good books. If too much goes over their heads they won't be on the edge of their seats begging to read another chapter or get them the next book. The op presumably won't force the child to listen to the book If he isn't interested.

• Like 2

Of course, great literature rewards repeated readings. But I don't think that's the same as introducing a book to children knowing full well that there is material (that is pretty important to making the book what it is) that you want them to miss because it goes over their heads. An adult can read something and then reread it later, seeing things that were missed (for a number of reasons: for example, perhaps because the re-reader knows the outcome and things like foreshadowing are more obvious). But what I'm referring to is missing the "window" for a particular book by jumping the gun. A six-year-old might be able to read all the words and even understand the basics of the story, but I can't help but think how much *more* meaningful it would be for say, a ten-year-old whose reading and life experiences have been enriched by other things, for example, mythology - is this their first (literary) encounter with a phoenix or a basilisk? What about werewolves (the well-read child recognizes Lupin as a hint - ditto for Sirius) or centaurs or dragons? I don't think Cerberus is named in HP, but any kid who has read his D'Aulaires will know it when Fluffy appears. Off the top of my head: Minerva, Malfoy, Draco, Narcissa, and Nagini (even Dumbledore) - these are names with meaning. And does wizard chess mean anything to someone who hasn't played chess?

I absolutely know that younger kids will want to read HP before what I consider the "window." I think mostly that's peer pressure/culture, after all these are the biggest-selling books in the history of everything (apologies to the Bible, which if published now would be a series....). Yeah, there's a basic story that could be had without all those references, but the second half of the series really goes beyond just references, with darker themes being really essential to the books. I mean, if you've never actually seen people murdered by death-eaters, you're just not going to get it.

Any story will be more meaningful with age and additional background knowledge. Most adults in America will not get all of the allusions in Harry Potter. A great many can't play chess either. Could it not be the other way around too? A child that knows and loves those names in Harry Potter will get more out of reading his D'aulaire.

• Like 2

And isn't it great that those artists were named for the Ninja Turtles? Is there a reason why WTM starts history with ancient and not modern? Maybe, as Billy Connolly said, "My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger."

And isn't it great that those artists were named for the Ninja Turtles? Is there a reason why WTM starts history with ancient and not modern? Maybe, as Billy Connolly said, "My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger."

My, you are full of yourself.

I just read aloud the first 2 books to my boys.  My 9yo couldn't handle the cliff hangers and spent several nights reading ahead of us.  I'm not going to read the rest of the series aloud, but I will get the books for them to read to themselves. They are hooked.

It isn't that a 6yo wouldn't enjoy HP.  It's that he will enjoy it so much more in 3 years, and there are so many good books not to be missed for a 6yo now.