Menu

It died! UPDATE

lexi

My vacuum died. Today. I need it today. Ugh!
This is a Dyson that is not even a year old. It's not supposed to do this already!
What do I do? And what type should I get instead?
My house has two floors of carpet and the third floor is tile and wood. We have no pets.
I'm so frustrated. My floors are so messy right now and I need to vacuum them.

Update: So my hubby has spent so much time today taking this stupid vacuum apart and checking all hoses and things. We have a Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Pet Hair + Allergy. It completely lost all suction even through the hose. We could find nothing that was blocking it.

But after watching videos on YouTube and reading a million Amazon reviews we discovered the problem. A small filter had gotten dirty and caused the relief valve to release which meant that there was no suction. Apparently this is a problem that many users have with this model. Thankfully now we know how to clean it and fix it.

But I'm so very frustrated that I purchased this expensive vacuum that "never loses suction" only for it to lose suction for a variety of different reasons - if the hose is slightly kinked, if it sucks up a small piece of cereal, if the hard to clean filter has a little bit of hair on it.....This thing is supposed to handle these types of messes. 

So this is your PSA for today: Don't buy this awful, awful vacuum. It is so temperamental and it's making me nuts!

However, I'm incredibly thankful that I can vacuum my house today. I now have suction with the vacuum.

I spent the last two days ripping down wallpaper, cleaning walls, filling holes, and sanding the walls. My house is wrecked. And I also cooked Thanksgiving meal. Today I tried to clean up the bathroom remodel mess and the Thanksgiving cooking mess. And as soon as I turned on the vacuum I realized it wasn't working. It was not a good day to have a broken vacuum. 

It does look like it's still under warranty and I WILL be calling the company when they reopen. Grr!

But my bathroom remodel is looking good so far! At least there's that!

Edited by lexi
  • Like 5

My hubby took it apart and cleaned it out and checked to for anything blocking it. Now the hose attachment thing works. But when you try to use it the regular way it just makes a hissing sound and has no suction.

I thought this was the brand that wasn't supposed to lose suction like this! Grr!

So it doesn't suck. But it is crappy! I'm so mad at it today!

We are redoing two bathrooms and my house is beyond messy.

You should go to Dyson's website and go through the troubleshooting. I have had issues like this before, but worked it out with troubleshoot.

I've had good experiences with the Dyson website when I've had trouble with mine.  Sometimes a long fiber can get stuck in the rotating brush.  On my model, there is also a filter than can get clogged (especially if you are vacuuming regularly around construction.) 

• Like 1

My vacuum died. Today. I need it today. Ugh!

This is a Dyson that is not even a year old. It's not supposed to do this already!

What do I do? And what type should I get instead?

My house has two floors of carpet and the third floor is tile and wood. We have no pets.

I'm so frustrated. My floors are so messy right now and I need to vacuum them.

Can't offer advice about what to do today, but call Dyson customer service tomorrow or Monday. They are absolutely awesome. Explain that it is less than a year old and it wouldn't suprise me if they send you a brand new one. I did that with my little Dyson handheld, which I LOVE.

Their customer service is a big reason I just got a new Dyson cannister vac for my 10-year wedding anniversary:)

• Like 2

Find your receipt and the warranty information. If it is less than 12 months since you bought it, hopefully it is still in warranty. I would contact their Customer Service on Friday (if they are open tomorrow, Black Friday) or on Monday, if they are closed for a 4 day weekend. GL and Happy Thanksgiving!

Do you clean your filter regularly?  It's supposed to be washed every 3 months. 

I've had a Dyson for years and love mine.  I own a few other kinds too, but the Dyson is still my favorite.

Yes. I do wash it regularly. Apparently some other part of the filter had dirt and hair covering it so it caused the relief valve to activate and shut off the suction. 

I regularly clean off the rollers and my hubby cleans out the canister. 

I'm going to do it even more often now though! 

I asked my vacuum guy about Dysons when it was getting harder to find parts for my kenmore. He opened the back of the shop and let me see that HALF the vacuums waiting to be fixed were Dysons. He had over a dozen back there! He said they're expensive to fix not because it's difficult, but because of how much time it takes to get them apart. I 'think' he recommended Panasonic, or some brand like that that I didn't know made vacuums. I went with a Meile in the end. I love that thing.

Someone here long ago said she went to a vacuum repair shop, where she was told that people bring in Dysons more than any other brand. o_0

Possibly that is a self-selecting group.  A Dyson is like, $500.  Lots of people have $90 vacuum cleaners.  I'm not saying they're better, but I'm willing to bet not many people bother taking a $90 vacuum to the repair guy.

• Like 5

Possibly that is a self-selecting group. A Dyson is like, $500. Lots of people have $90 vacuum cleaners. I'm not saying they're better, but I'm willing to bet not many people bother taking a $90 vacuum to the repair guy.

Possibly also because the cheaper vacuums, like my Hoover Wind Tunnel, are extremely easy to take apart and repair at home. ;) I've never had a problem with it that ten minutes and a screwdriver couldn't solve.

• Like 1

I read your update and here are my thoughts: I agree with you. I have a Dyson and a Shark Navigator and I far prefer the much cheaper Shark. I only use the Dyson for the hose and tools because that part of the vacuum is much better than the tools on the Shark. To be fair, with both vacuums, I have had to disassemble them and clean/empty/replace filter bits to restore blocked suction. Also, it is easy to understand how to do this with both models. BUT! The Dyson cost six times as much as the Shark, so there is clearly a part of me that feels like, "Why should I have to go through all this rigamarole to keep this vacuum working?" I don't mind the gymnastics as much with the Shark.

I am not at all tempted to buy another Dyson, though.

• Like 2